• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

jorimt

Care to take a screen of the difference?

Pre-patch save file w/patch vs post-patch save file w/patch:
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/132884

Other than starting a new save, I'm not sure what triggered it. I had deleted my primary old save when I downloaded the new patch to start the story again (in the first slot), but also kept my secondary pre-patch save (which was on the game's first checkpoint; in the second slot) for screenshot comparisons. Said save was the one I was using to test the diminished rain effects.

After not getting anywhere with that one after multiple tests of the same scene, I deleted it, and stared from the same (second) slot again. That's when I got the "after" shot in the above comparison. Again though, it still doesn't explain why my primary save (which was also created after I downloaded the patch) seems to be exhibiting a weaker rain effect on the Batmobile.

Perhaps the issue is only present in gameplay, and whatever is causing the bug doesn't apply to cutscenes. I'd test that theory further, but I have yet to come across another in-game story cutscene featuring a close-up of the Batmobile.

Buburibon

I'm applying SMAA via SweetFX (and nothing else), along with a 30 fps cap with Afterburner/RivaTuner. I tried disabling the AF I forced via Nvidia Inspector, shutting multiple processes off, as well as deleting and re-verifying multiple files in the install folder. I would then test the scene where Batman first enters the Batmobile, but the rain effects would always appear the same: weak.

As a last ditch effort, I created a new secondary save file and tried the same scene, and bam, PS4 level rain cascades on the Batmobile. What's strange, is that I seem to have less rain build-up on the Batmobile for my primary save, which I started after the patch came out, so I don't know what the difference between the two are.

At this point I think it's just random. Again, they did mention something in the notes about the effects not being fully corrected, and that they're working on related bugs to improve them.

It's buggy alright, and I'd say it's the opposite for me. It feels as though there's way too much of it. As I mentioned before, my game went from having very little rain/no effects to pouring rain/water dripping everywhere after the patch.

I'm trying to decide whether to play it as it is now or wait for the next patch.

roytheone

Yeah it's weird. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. Thought resetting the INI made the difference, but seems to be a coincidence

It really is super inconsistent. After making that screenshot I did the first riddler race track, and when I got back into the city the rain effect was completely gone, I waited for a while but no rain formed on the car. After doing some other stuff and gliding around, I summoned the batmobile and behold, the rain effect was back.

It seems that the rain shaders don't always show up, especially on NPCs.

PC:

batmanak2015-06-2802-xbpue.png

PS4:

f8dBATMANARKHAMKNIGHT20.jpg

The shaders show up consistently only as long as you play continuously from game start. Once you exit and load from save, the shaders become... wonky. Can someone confirm this behavior?

This is assuming that NPC is supposed to be wet by design. He is inside an enclosed space after all. Hmmm...
Did you break the ceiling? I broke through the ceiling instead of coming through a grate and he was wet.

It seems that the rain shaders don't always show up, especially on NPCs.

PC:
PS4:
The shaders show up consistently only as long as you play continuously from game start. Once you exit and load from save, the shaders become... wonky. Can someone confirm this behavior?

This is assuming that NPC is supposed to be wet by design. He is inside an enclosed space after all. Hmmm...

He was wet in my game. Did you break through the ceiling or use a vent?

Edit: Beaten

scitek

The rain effect on the batmobile still isn't as good as the console versions

batmanak2015-06-2718-ijstx.png

Here's the older comparison

pcvsxb1szsy7.gif

Guess that's what they meant when they said they'll try to improve it further.

EDIT: BTW, the ini settings in the OP really ironed out the stuttering for me for an hour or so, which is when I presume the memory leak makes the game unplayable no matter what.

Kusagari

So I finally decided to try it, never played pre-patch to compare. Played about an hour and a half so far.

I'm running it on a:
i5-4690 3.5GHZ
GTX 760
16GB Ram

I bumped the normal settings up to medium and kept all Gameworks stuff off. So far the game has run pretty much fine with some noticeable framerate dips in the bat mobile.

jorimt

Holy shit. That could be it. If so, mind=blown

Yeah, if that's the case, it's pretty great attention to detail.

I love the Witcher 3 (have well over 100 hours of gameplay, still going), but if I had a nickel every time I saw an entire tree clipping through interior walls during high winds, or wet characters indoors during a rain storm, well, I'd be able to afford your setup ;)

viveks86

Yeah, if that's the case, it's pretty great attention to detail.

I love the Witcher 3 (have well over 100 hours of gameplay, still going), but if I had a nickel every time I saw an entire tree clipping through interior walls during high winds, or wet characters indoors during a rain storm, well, I'd be able to afford your setup ;)

Lol. Going to play for a couple of hours now. Let's see if it behaves properly

Spoit

Well, I have more than 2 hours on my profile, and I've made way less than 2 hours of progress into the game. It's all from fucking with the ini files and relaunching to try to get a stable framerate.

Especially since it can take a bit before the memory leak becomes unplayable

NIN90

Looks like I'm going back to the PC version right now.
One thing I noticed is that the game looks much cleaner on PC than on PS4. I can't really put my finger on it but I think the film grain is missing for one and maybe more post-processing stuff.

I actually prefer the softer look of the PS4 version. I don't remember disabling any effects in the ini files.

Anyone know how I can retain the softer look of the PS4 version?

LOL at the issue with smoke/fog and paper GameWorks crap preventing memory to run at full speed. I've put a lot of hours in after the patch and haven't had any crashes or anything.

I still am unable to see a reflection on mirror floor in the Orphanage. I had messed with the texture settings a while back but I have since deleted the game and reinstalled everything. Could my save be corrupted by the previous ini settings? Before I changed the settings I saw the reflection on the floor.

Lagamorph

Thanks bud.

Interestingly, I turned shadows down to normal, and with smoke off, I now get an average of 59fps in the benchmarks. Lowest was 45. Seems to make quite an impact on performance for little gains, quality wise.

Did you benchmark upon first loading the game? Maybe memory leaks might play a part if you bench after playing the game for a bit, hence your lower than expected results?
Good shout on the memory leaks, I did run my initial benchmarks on first loading, but that one after playing a while. Won't be able to benchmark again until Wednesday due to work but will give it another go then. Might have been another patch by then too.

Corpekata

Banned
I still am unable to see a reflection on mirror floor in the Orphanage. I had messed with the texture settings a while back but I have since deleted the game and reinstalled everything. Could my save be corrupted by the previous ini settings? Before I changed the settings I saw the reflection on the floor.

Did you uninstall the game or delete the entire game folder?

Corpekata

Banned
Yes to no avail. This is frustrating. Im 70% done with the main story. I started a new game up to see if its a previous save thing. I hope to god its not...

I wasn't asking a yes or no question. I was asking if you deleted the entire folder or if you used Steam's uninstall feature.

I guess what I'm asking is, before the patch I did .ini edits and set them to read only. does that mean im not getting the patch benefits after patching?

Corpekata

Banned
I guess what I'm asking is, before the patch I did .ini edits and set them to read only. does that mean im not getting the patch benefits after patching?

Right now? Yes.

This is the advice the tweaked creator has in his post now:

IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING PATCHES: It's also come to my attention that as the game is patched, these INI tweaks are going to be reset by the game. Moreover, if you set your INI files to read-only and then make chganges to graphics settings from the menu the game will usually reset your INI file everytime it starts.

To work around this problem, if you make changes from the user menu or if the game is patched, delete BmSystemSettings.ini run the game once and then apply changes to the new ini file.

viveks86

Utterly blown away by the game. Not a single stutter, texture streaming or pop-in issue so far at 4K30 after playing for 4 hours non-stop. The rain shader is definitely inconsistent though. Oh what I'll give to play this at 4K60. Please make it happen, Rocksteady!

batmanak2015-06-2818-7csgf.png

batmanak2015-06-2818-74kns.png

batmanak2015-06-2818-cosw8.png

Utterly blown away by the game. Not a single stutter, texture streaming or pop-in issue so far at 4K30 after playing for 4 hours non-stop. The rain shader is definitely inconsistent though. Oh what I'll give to play this at 4K60. Please make it happen, Rocksteady!

Same here. Best of all, it's being played on a 65" TV. I'll never get 4k60, tho. Lol

Yep. 200/400

Yea, me too, though I'm running 230/450. Yeah the game runs perfectly with the framerate locked at 4K30. I think 4K60 is achievable once the fix the issues and Nvidia gets a better SLI profile out there.

Though I'm not complaining... the game looks awesome at 4K.

I took a Scarecrow shot too.. I'm pretending Batman is Rocksteady and Scarecrow is Iron Galaxy Studios... he's none too pleased about having to clean up Gotham :p

datbat.jpg

Sullichin

After the patch, I'm no longer seeing PS4 button prompts when using my PS4 controller. It's back to 360. Is there a way to force this setting?
Edit: Nevermind. Restarting Steam BPM and unplugging/replugging my controller fixed it

1525?! For GPU? That's way too high for a Titan X. I think I'm at 1415

I took the cooler off and attached a cpu aio. Chipsets got heatsinks and fans. I was boosting to about 1430 on air with temps in the 60s (aggressive fan curve). After modding, those same clocks idled at 26* and 38* load. I've been tweaking and testing all weekend. Lol

Edit: Also using a modded bios for higher power lvl and voltage.

scitek

Are you playing on default ini files and everything tweaked just through the menus?

I wonder if it's the SSD helping. I feel like as far as texture streaming and stuttering, I should be having a smooth experience at 1080p/30fps with a single 970 and a 7200RPM HDD, but maybe 3.5GB of VRAM just isn't enough.

viveks86

Are you playing on default ini files and everything tweaked just through the menus?

I wonder if it's the SSD helping. I feel like as far as texture streaming and stuttering, I should be having a smooth experience at 1080p/30fps with a single 970 and a 7200RPM HDD, but maybe 3.5GB of VRAM just isn't enough.

Yeah pretty much default INI. I'd increased MaxFPS to 31 and locked it to 30 using NVCP, because I had random 1 FPS drops otherwise. Other than that I think SSD, RAM and VRAM could make a big difference. The game leaks memory, so if it hits the upper limits, it is bound to cause problems.

I took the cooler off and attached a cpu aio. Chipsets got heatsinks and fans. I was boosting to about 1430 on air with temps in the 60s (aggressive fan curve). After modding, those same clocks idled at 26* and 38* load. I've been tweaking and testing all weekend. Lol

Edit: Also using a modded bios for higher power lvl and voltage.

Oooh that's hardcore. I'm not that brave. lol.

I took a Scarecrow shot too.. I'm pretending Batman is Rocksteady and Scarecrow is Iron Galaxy Studios... he's none too pleased about having to clean up Gotham :p

Hope that scene doesn't play out the same way though ;)

pahamrick

Single 970 is definitely enough, I've got a butter smooth 30fps and I'm downsampling from 1440p at the moment (I can downsample from higher res and still stay smooth, but I've been testing tweaks)

Single 970 is definitely enough, I've got a butter smooth 30fps and I'm downsampling from 1440p at the moment (I can downsample from higher res and still stay smooth, but I've been testing tweaks)

With my single 970 I get drops down to 20 when driving the batmobile around with gameworks off and sometimes down to stuff as low as 6FPS

pahamrick

With my single 970 I get drops down to 20 when driving the batmobile around with gameworks off and sometimes down to stuff as low as 6FPS

I'm running on an SSD, which right now seems to be the deciding factor in helping stutter for a lot of systems. How much ram do you have?

Zakalwe

Banned

"30fps" and "butter smooth" aren't really compatible. :p

You're at 4k and you're not dipping below 30fps at all on a 970? Even in the BM? What other settings are you using and what's the rest of your system?

I'm at 1080, max and everything on aside from AA and motion blur, and I dip to 28 (26 lowest on occasion).

i52500k@4.5ghz, MSI 970 +200/500, 8gb ram, ssd.

Top Bottom