• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

holygeesus

Banned
I'm on a stock 970, and I'm pretty sure the gameworks fog stuff crashes the game for me too. I played through the whole thing with everything turned up except for the fog and debris, but after I finished the game, I decided to turn them on and do donuts in the Batmobile, and the game nearly always crashes. The fog effect stops working too.

That is really odd. This is what makes troubleshooting such fun - we have similar systems, yet completely opposite experiences with the same game. Saying that, does the smoke effect only come into play when doing donuts in the Batmobile?

Pjsprojects

So with the memory leak this game has, I can get a few hours of play in before my computer wants to close it because of the memory it's using (I have 16 gigs, more than enough). When that happens, can I just close the game and reopen it and get in some more hours, or do I need to do a system restart to get going again?

I'd bet this mess leaves residual memory clutter so restart is best.

JRW

I took this part of the patch notes as a stab at Iron Galaxy lol: "The work is significant and while we are making good progress on improving performance, it will take some time to ensure that we get the right fixes in place."

I'm just glad someone seems to care and hopefully get it fixed proper.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I took this part of the patch notes as a stab at Iron Galaxy lol: "The work is significant and while we are making good progress on improving performance, it will take some time to ensure that we get the right fixes in place."

I'm just glad someone seems to care and hopefully get it fixed proper.

It may not be the patch we need, but it is the patch Gotham deserves. So we'll patch it.
Because #BatmanArkhamKnight can take it. Because the patch is not our hero.
The patch is a silent guardian, a watchful protector of functionality.

Evo X

So yeaaaah... I haven't been paying attention to my memory clock speed up until a bit ago, it's 250Mhz under the base clock at 1502 instead of the 1752 it should've been.

The memory clock speed issue is related to the Gameworks Smoke and Debris settings.

I turned those off, but kept rain and light shafts on, and my GPU memory does not downclock anymore.

viveks86

That is really odd. This is what makes troubleshooting such fun - we have similar systems, yet completely opposite experiences with the same game. Saying that, does the smoke effect only come into play when doing donuts in the Batmobile?

Nope. It shows up anytime the car brakes or slides. There are other interior areas in the game where volumetric smoke and fog are used as well

I can almost get a solid 30fps at 1440p with my system. I have everything set to normal and all GameWorks settings off. I used that tweak to reduce hitching and elimate missing textures which seems to work. Still get hitching when moving between areas of entering a Riddler challenge. I only have 6GB DDR3 so maybe that's the problem, though it doesn't happen in GTAV or The Witcher 3.

Specs
Intel Core i7 860
nVidia GeForce GTX 970
Samsung 840 Evo
6Gb DDR 3

meanspartan

So I got my money back from GMG onto my PayPal, but the game is still in my Steam library.

Does it just take a while for GMG to communicate to Valve to remove it? Or did I luck out and get what I hope will eventually be a working game for free?

Tecnniqe

Banned
So I got my money back from GMG onto my PayPal, but the game is still in my Steam library.

Does it just take a while for GMG to communicate to Valve to remove it? Or did I luck out and get what I hope will eventually be a working game for free?

They make a list of keys and send it to WB for deactivation. It takes time so enjoy it while you can.

IIRC they're sending the keys to WB to be deactivated, it's not instantaneous.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

The process takes some days. GMG informs WB of the refunded purchases, WB submits the info to Valve, and Valve verifies the situation.

You'll know when the game has been removed as you'll receive an unavoidable alert from Support saying there was a payment issue.

I encountered a bizarre repeatable glitch accessing the map in one indoor area, location spoiler for I'd say five hours in
the movie studio.
Opening the map once causes a graphical mess, polygons stretching and distorting. Keep playing and it gets worse; zooming in shows a pure white screen, numbers on the hud get scrambled, white lines draw across the screen in detective mode, and more. Second time you open the map, the game crashes. It can be right after or minutes later. Accessing the area map anywhere else in the game brings about the same glitch. Giving it a quick search, I'm not the only one this happens to.

Lagamorph

Decided to give the game a try today. I never played pre-patch so can't say if there's been an improvement or not.

My specs/config,
i5 4690k @ stock
16GB DDR3 RAM
GTX 970 OC'd to 1,500/3,750
Game installed to HDD
Resolution - 1920x1080
Settings - All Maxed/Enabled except for Interactive Smoke/Fog which is disabled.
I haven't used any ini tweaks or uncapped the framerate, I'm playing with the standard install and Nvidia recommended settings.

Now, no matter what I do, the MSI Afterburner/Rivatuner overlay just flatly refuses to work in Arkham Knight. Works in everything else, but simply will not work in Arkham Knight. Not sure if that's because of the hotkeys I have assigned to it (F6 to toggle, F7 to enable, F8 to disable), but it just will not show up, so I have to enable the Steam FPS counter and alt-tab out of the game to check my current clocks.

But anyway, I've had a brief play and the game has stuck more or less constantly to 30fps. The only dip I've noticed was when coming out of a cut scene for a split second where it dipped to about 26, then back to 30. Even when gliding or using the batmobile, I get a consistent 30fps.
I have noticed though, that when alt-tabbing out and checking Afterburner, my GPU RAM has downclocked to 3,000 and the core has downclocked to 1,100 (Though Arkham Knight isn't the only time the core downclocks a bit, in Kombustor it downclocks to about 1,365, but other games I get the 1,500)

Just wish I could get the RivaTuner stats working in the game so I could get some more details.

Lagamorph

Just trying out some of the ini tweaks in the OP.

My BMEngine.ini is missing this line,

MinEvictSize=9

I have no 'MinEvictSize' setting in there anywhere. Does this need manually adding?

EDIT - Never mind. I thought the settings as they were laid out in the OP was how they're laid out in the ini file. They aren't so the setting was way above where the OP said it was. Forgot Notepad Ctrl+F only looks down from where your cursor is.

komorebi

So I got my money back from GMG onto my PayPal

I haven't gotten mine deposited into Paypal yet and they processed the refund Thursday. I thought it would be here before the weekend too.

All you guys getting refunds, are you going to buy again when it is fixed? They seem committed to sorting it, and the game is damn good, when it works, so I don't understand the stampede for returns.

I refunded the Season Pass and bought the game on PS4. Can't get a refund on the game itself since it was a Nvidia code, and since I'm not going to play it on PC any time soon the season pass is worthless (and might end up staying worthless depending on the DLC itself).

And you're right, the game is damn good!

holygeesus

Banned
All you guys getting refunds, are you going to buy again when it is fixed? They seem committed to sorting it, and the game is damn good, when it works, so I don't understand the stampede for returns.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Refund now; buy later on the cheap. Most of those who care enough to seek a refund have something else to play in the interim.

holygeesus

Banned
Ah gotcha. I would emphasise that if you had any interest in the game before, it is still well worth getting, despite this calamity. Having lots of fun with it.

Lagamorph

In my case if I enabled the Nvidia smoke/fog or debris, the overlay wouldn't work.
Yeah, some googling shows that to be the case for others as well.

Have tried the ini tweaks in the OP and things seem ok. Getting 60fps most of the time, though when driving the batmobile it occasionally drops into the 50s, but it seems to be brief and goes back to 60 fairly quickly. Haven't noticed any texture issues so far, but I might just be missing them.

Not sure if posted but they added the missing textures for the flowers here:

208650_2015-06-28_001vokly.png

viveks86

It seems that the rain shaders don't always show up, especially on NPCs.

PC:

batmanak2015-06-2802-xbpue.png

PS4:

f8dBATMANARKHAMKNIGHT20.jpg

The shaders show up consistently only as long as you play continuously from game start. Once you exit and load from save, the shaders become... wonky. Can someone confirm this behavior?

This is assuming that NPC is supposed to be wet by design. He is inside an enclosed space after all. Hmmm...

Lagamorph

Y'know what. My biggest issue with the game isn't the performance. It's the Batmobile controls.

What colossal idiot decided LT should be Battle Mode rather than Brake/Reverse like it is in every other driving section of a game ever? They could've easily solved it by having LT be Brake/Reverse, LT be Battle Mode and X be to enter/summon the Batmobile.

Is it possible to change the Gamepad bindings at all?

holygeesus

Banned
Yeah, some googling shows that to be the case for others as well.

Have tried the ini tweaks in the OP and things seem ok. Getting 60fps most of the time, though when driving the batmobile it occasionally drops into the 50s, but it seems to be brief and goes back to 60 fairly quickly. Haven't noticed any texture issues so far, but I might just be missing them.

I might have to have a play with the GameWorks settings if you are managing a solid 60fps @ 1080p!

Are you playing with vsync on?

Corpekata

Banned
Y'know what. My biggest issue with the game isn't the performance. It's the Batmobile controls.

What colossal idiot decided LT should be Battle Mode rather than Brake/Reverse like it is in every other driving section of a game ever? They could've easily solved it by having LT be Brake/Reverse, LT be Battle Mode and X be to enter/summon the Batmobile.

Is it possible to change the Gamepad bindings at all?

There's a Game Option for Toggle Batmobile.

It rebinds brake/reverse to LT, Handbrake/drift is still on X, right bumper gets used to toggle modes.

Lagamorph

I might have to have a play with the GameWorks settings if you are managing a solid 60fps @ 1080p!

Are you playing with vsync on?
Yeah, vsync is on, though I have a 144Hz monitor rather than 60Hz, so not sure if that's making any difference.
Like I said, it's not 100% solid, but I haven't seen it dip under 50 so far, and I still have the GameWorks Smoke/Fog switched off.

There's a Game Option for Toggle Batmobile.

It rebinds brake/reverse to LT, Handbrake/drift is still on X, right bumper gets used to toggle modes.
Thanks. Those Riddler race challenges would be impossible on default controls, I barely managed that first one because I kept switching to battle mode instead of braking.

Buburibon

It seems that the rain shaders don't always show up, especially on NPCs.

PC:

batmanak2015-06-2802-xbpue.png

PS4:

f8dBATMANARKHAMKNIGHT20.jpg

The shaders show up consistently only as long as you play continuously from game start. Once you exit and load from save, the shaders become... wonky. Can someone confirm this behavior?

This is assuming that NPC is supposed to be wet by design. He is inside an enclosed space after all. Hmmm...

I cannot confirm it, not yet at least. I'll keep an eye out for it, though. In the meantime, are you using any external tools? SweetFX, ReShade? I wouldn't be surprised if even minor tweaks such as forcing 16x AF through the control panel contributed to the inconsistent behavior.

You might want to try resetting everything to default settings and go from there? That is, if you haven't done so already. :)

EDIT: If I'm not mistaken, you're using one of your TXs as a physics card, isn't that right? I only have the one TX to worry about. :p

holygeesus

Banned
Yeah, vsync is on, though I have a 144Hz monitor rather than 60Hz, so not sure if that's making any difference.
Like I said, it's not 100% solid, but I haven't seen it dip under 50 so far, and I still have the GameWorks Smoke/Fog switched off.

Next time you play, could you run the benchmark just to see what results you get? Would be interested to see them.

I think my CPU might be limiting me as I can't get even close to sustaining 60 even with the smoke off. (3570k)

Lagamorph

Next time you play, could you run the benchmark just to see what results you get? Would be interested to see them.

I think my CPU might be limiting me as I can't get even close to sustaining 60 even with the smoke off. (3570k)
Just re-ran it.

Now when I ran it earlier before doing any ini tweaks, I was pretty consistently getting an average of 70+, but with the tweaks the average is 45. Weirdly, outdoor parts of the benchmark hit this, yet gameplay doesn't tally with that since, like I said, I've been getting a mostly steady 60 even when driving the batmobile, never seeing a dip below 50 during gameplay, so I'm not sure the benchmark is entirely accurate once you start messing with the ini files.

I've also got plenty of RAM, so that might contribute since going by other posts here a lot of people having smooth performance seem to have 12GB+, and I have 16. Without the Rivatuner overlay it's hard to say exactly how much the game is using at any given time.

Couple of screenshots I took while suiting up,

viveks86

I cannot confirm it, not yet at least. I'll keep an eye out for it, though. In the meantime, are you using any external tools? SweetFX, ReShade? I wouldn't be surprised if even minor tweaks such as forcing 16x AF through the control panel contributed to the inconsistent behavior.

You might want to try resetting everything to default settings and go from there? That is, if you haven't done so already. :)

EDIT: If I'm not mistaken, you're using one of your TXs as a physics card, isn't that right? I only have the one TX to worry about. :p

I am using sweetfx, though can't imagine that to make shades show sometimes and not orhers. Nvcp settings could be an issue. Will test resetting that

CryptiK

I have NG+ sitting there waiting for the patches. I want film grain gone and better performance. And maybe CA gone as well would be interesting seeing a comparison with and without CA.

roytheone

Is this the normal amount of rain you need to get on the batmobile? I have seen screen shots of way more...

Game still refuses to load textures rather often (you can sit there for minutes and they will not load).

I actually had to read some store signs in order to solve a riddler riddle.......but the textures of those store signs never poped in!

holygeesus

Banned
Just re-ran it.

Now when I ran it earlier before doing any ini tweaks, I was pretty consistently getting an average of 70+, but with the tweaks the average is 45. Weirdly, outdoor parts of the benchmark hit this, yet gameplay doesn't tally with that since, like I said, I've been getting a mostly steady 60 even when driving the batmobile, never seeing a dip below 50 during gameplay, so I'm not sure the benchmark is entirely accurate once you start messing with the ini files.

I've also got plenty of RAM, so that might contribute since going by other posts here a lot of people having smooth performance seem to have 12GB+, and I have 16. Without the Rivatuner overlay it's hard to say exactly how much the game is using at any given time.

Couple of screenshots I took while suiting up,

Thanks bud.

Interestingly, I turned shadows down to normal, and with smoke off, I now get an average of 59fps in the benchmarks. Lowest was 45. Seems to make quite an impact on performance for little gains, quality wise.

Did you benchmark upon first loading the game? Maybe memory leaks might play a part if you bench after playing the game for a bit, hence your lower than expected results?

Parsnip

Game still refuses to load textures rather often (you can sit there for minutes and they will not load).

This is the one that's keeping me from playing it.
And the weird RAM and VRAM stuff. I mean I suppose MSI Afterburner is probably wrong and/or not compatible with Win10, or the Nvidia drivers are busted or something, but according to Afterburner I'm using 2.5gigs of VRAM. On my 2gb card.

Seems rather magical, that. Someone with a 4gig card was also saying that they were reportedly using 5 or so gigs.

Either way, I'm waiting for more patches and playing Witcher 3 instead. No weird VRAM numbers there.

Knolli

Radeon HD 7950, i5 2500k, 16GB RAM - 1080p, Low textures, low details -> dropdowns to 19fps..can't say im happy about that

jorimt

I'm applying SMAA via SweetFX (and nothing else), along with a 30 fps cap with Afterburner/RivaTuner. I tried disabling the AF I forced via Nvidia Inspector, shutting multiple processes off, as well as deleting and re-verifying multiple files in the install folder. I would then test the scene where Batman first enters the Batmobile, but the rain effects would always appear the same: weak.

As a last ditch effort, I created a new secondary save file and tried the same scene, and bam, PS4 level rain cascades on the Batmobile. What's strange, is that I seem to have less rain build-up on the Batmobile for my primary save, which I started after the patch came out, so I don't know what the difference between the two are.

At this point I think it's just random. Again, they did mention something in the notes about the effects not being fully corrected, and that they're working on related bugs to improve them.

I'm applying SMAA via SweetFX (and nothing else), along with a 30 fps cap with Afterburner/RivaTuner. I tried disabling the AF I forced via Nvidia Inspector, shutting multiple processes off, as well as deleting and re-verifying multiple files in the install folder. I would then test the scene where Batman first enters the Batmobile, but the rain effects would always appear the same: weak.

As a last ditch effort, I created a new secondary save file and tried the same scene, and bam, PS4 level rain cascades on the Batmobile. What's strange, is that I seem to have less rain build-up on the Batmobile for my primary save, which I started after the patch came out, so I don't know what the difference between the two are.

At this point I think it's just random. Again, they did mention something in the notes about the effects not being fully corrected, and that they're working on related bugs to improve them.
Care to take a screen of the difference?

jediyoshi

Thanks. Those Riddler race challenges would be impossible on default controls, I barely managed that first one because I kept switching to battle mode instead of braking.

Impossible as in completely possible since you literally aren't ever actually required to break at all :p You're better off utilizing tank mode/dodging/quick reorienting to realign yourself with the track. Needing to break means you were entering a turn too quick, at which point tank mode would stop you quicker and be more effective at taking a corner.

Top Bottom