• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

pahamrick

"30fps" and "butter smooth" aren't really compatible. :p

You're at 4k and you're not dipping below 30fps at all on a 970? Even in the BM? What other settings are you using and what's the rest of your system?

I'm at 1080, max and everything on aside from AA and motion blur, and I dip to 28 (26 lowest on occasion).

i52500k@4.5ghz, MSI 970 +200/500, 8gb ram, ssd.

1440p isn't 4k.
4k = 3840x2160
1440p = 2560x1440

As of right now everything is maxed/on except Gameworks Fog & Debris, AntiAliasing and Vsync (I force Vsync through the drivers, seems smoother to me.)

i7 920 @ 4.1 HT Disabled
EVGA SSC 970 +108/+495, 12 GB Ram, SSD, Windows 10

Here's a video I recorded while I was testing at 1080p, same settings I listed above: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsDZJZYguqw

So far, playing in 3325x1871 (downsampled), everything maxed out except smoke and paper PhysX (AA is off due to blury image). Had to turn them of because some of the Batmobil scenes were lagging like hell. Cutscenes are persistently stuttering for me, ingame is fine @~35 FPS (framecap) with little stuttering now and then.

system: 980GTX, FX8350, 8GB RAM

Corpekata

Banned
30 locked at 1440p on a 970 isn't that dubious, I get the same (when I bother with the lock). My issues with the game have been bug and texture streaming related mainly, not performance.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
So from reading the last few pages it seems like even with the hot fix patch the game is still kinda all sort of broken and we better wait for the future patches before playing... oh well. I can wait (I have the game but did not installed it), I just hope when they throw a big patch hey don't forget to add options to remove motion blur, film grain and CA and at least add SMAA or TXAA because some of the screenshots in this thread are not good.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Aight, now that the AO and rain textures have been fixed I'm going to restart and sink in. Should I apply all the tips in the op or what?

Zakalwe

Banned
1440p isn't 4k.
4k = 3840x2160
1440p = 2560x1440

I know. Been up all night my brain skipped for a moment.

As of right now everything is maxed/on except Gameworks Fog & Debris, AntiAliasing and Vsync (I force Vsync through the drivers, seems smoother to me.)

i7 920 @ 4.1 HT Disabled
EVGA SSC 970 +108/+495, 12 GB Ram, SSD, Windows 10

Here's a video I recorded while I was testing at 1080p, same settings I listed above: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsDZJZYguqw

Maybe it's the ram then. Even if I turn off smoke and debris it constantly fluctuates between 30-28.

(vysnc off, adaptive half in nvidia)

Thanks for sharing the video. Despite my comment about 30fps, this game does look pretty smooth when it's consistently locked at 30. Just wish I could get mine to behave.

pahamrick

I know. Been up all night my brain skipped for a moment.

Maybe it's the ram then. Even if I turn off smoke and debris it constantly fluctuates between 30-28.

(vysnc off, adaptive half in nvidia)

Thanks for sharing the video. Despite my comment about 30fps, this game does look pretty smooth when it's consistently locked at 30. Just wish I could get mine to behave.

It's no guarantee it's the ram, either. Someone before posted they had 16GB of Ram with an SSD install and still got horrible stutter. It seems like an odd crap shoot where it works fine/tolerable for some and is completely non-working for others.

The 970 is a little beast though. Made a short video in the Batmobile with me downsampling from 2880x1620: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEDdp21ju8c Doesn't look like HD version is available yet, just uploaded it.

It's the res I was playing mostly at, but turned it down a bit because it wouldn't stay locked at 30, hitting 28 more often than I could tolerate. I've been screwing around with an alternate/cheat save. Trying various ini tweaks and cheats, mainly incase ini tweaking breaks something in a save.

Utterly blown away by the game. Not a single stutter, texture streaming or pop-in issue so far at 4K30 after playing for 4 hours non-stop. The rain shader is definitely inconsistent though. Oh what I'll give to play this at 4K60. Please make it happen, Rocksteady!

batmanak2015-06-2818-7csgf.png

batmanak2015-06-2818-74kns.png

batmanak2015-06-2818-cosw8.png

What are all your settings/ini tweaks?

Zakalwe

Banned
So, this seems strange...

Fps is locked in the config file to 120.

If It lock the game's fps to 60 via Rivatuner, it fluctuates between 35-60. Never drops below 30, no matter what I do.

If I lock it to 30 using RT, it starts dipping to 28 often, sometimes drops to 22 or so when I call in the BM.

Shouldn't the low point be the same? Why is it dipping further when I set it to 30?

pahamrick

So, as a warning to all: If you're going to experiment with INI tweaks don't save on an important save. I lost reflections on my 'cheat' tweak save, and even restoring my backed up INI files didn't seem to fix it.

Reloading my main save with my original tweaked inis restored has everything still fine, though.

If It lock the game's fps to 60 via Rivatuner, it fluctuates between 35-60. Never drops below 30, no matter what I do.

If I lock it to 30 using RT, it starts dipping to 28 often, sometimes drops to 22 or so when I call in the BM.

Shouldn't the low point be the same? Why is it dipping further when I set it to 30?

Try locking it to something like 32 instead?

Corpekata

Banned

Loading hitch maybe?

I have a bug with quickfire gadgets where it always drops 5 FPS when I use a gadget in combat. So uncapped, that can be anything. 30 cap and it always drops to 25. So it's likely some sort of hitch you're seeing not directly related to traditional performance.

Zakalwe

Banned
Try locking it to something like 32 instead?

Loading hitch maybe?

I have a bug with quickfire gadgets where it always drops 5 FPS when I use a gadget in combat. So uncapped, that can be anything. 30 cap and it always drops to 25. So it's likely some sort of hitch you're seeing not directly related to traditional performance.

I might be missing something here...

If I unlock my framerate entirely, I get:

Lowest: 35
HIghest: 114

So shouldn't that be my range, no matter what I lock it to via Rivatuner?

Why does it drop lower than 35 when I lock it to 30? Surely if I'm locking it underneath my range it shouldn't drag it down further?

pahamrick

I might be missing something here...

If I unlock my framerate entirely, I get:

Lowest: 35
HIghest: 114

So shouldn't that be my range, no matter what I lock it to via Rivatuner?

Why does it drop lower than 35 when I lock it to 30? Surely if I'm locking it underneath my range it shouldn't drag it down further?

It could be any number of things considering how bad they've got the texture streaming screwed up. Have you done any of the INI tweaks?

pahamrick

Disabled Motion Blur, that's it.

Is there a particular tweak I should try?

In BMEngine.ini, under Texture Streaming (Line 755) try changing the following options:

[TextureStreaming]
MinTextureResidentMipCount=7
PoolSize=768
MemoryMargin=128
MemoryLoss=0
HysteresisLimit=30
MinRequestedMipsToConsider=9
MinTimeToGuaranteeMinMipCount=5
MaxTimeToGuaranteeMinMipCount=12
UseTextureFileCache=False
MinEvictSize=9
bAllowSwitchingStreamingSystem=True

Save/Backup your original before of course in case it performs worse.

ValfarHL

I set my ini files to read only before the patch, but I still have the rain effects after the patch. That stuff must be saved somewhere else.

Game runs pretty good (45-60fps) on my 970 @ 1080p with everything maxed (lol) and three of the gameworks stuff enabled. Can't remember which ones, though.

I am having a few MAJOR freezes from time to time, so I'm gonna wait for another patch before playing.

Corpekata

Banned
A loading hitch or stutter is going to cause a dip no matter whether you're at 120 FPS or 30. Just capping at 30 won't get rid of them even if they only brought you down into say the 40s before. For instance, I always get a 2-3 FPS dip / stutter when the game saves (icon in the lower left), no matter what I have the cap set to.

Parts of the game are just borked for some people. Sometimes you can ini tweak out of it. Some we'll have to see fixed. Some we'll probably have to live with (like the save dipping, which is an incredibly common thing in games, especially UE3).

Joey Ravn

Banned
I just checked the game again after the patch. I haven't even saved the first dude you come across (right before you get
the Batmobile
), so I don't know how performance will be in any other scenarios.

But as soon as the game begins, I can get 30 FPS that drop to the low 20's when I pan around a new area, using all of the 2GB of VRAM of my 680 SLI. That being said, I get MUCH better performance (both in terms of being better and more solid) if 1. I disable SLI and 2. set the textures to Normal. If they are set to Low, I lose around 10 FPS! Crazy.

I think I'll wait until Rocksteady has fixed the game. I don't mind turning down some stuff to get better performance, but at least I want constant 60 FPS. 30 is just too low for me to enjoy this game.
Or any game for that matter.

Anyone tried that Nvidia Fix 355.38? It should fix TDR issue in Google Chrome browser but some users report better performance in AK (especially SLI):

http://steamcommunity.com/app/208650/discussions/0/523890046875460772/

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...ce-hotfix-driver-353-38/post/4584698/#4584698

Game runs pretty good (45-60fps) on my 970 @ 1080p with everything maxed (lol) and three of the gameworks stuff enabled. Can't remember which ones, though.

I am having a few MAJOR freezes from time to time, so I'm gonna wait for another patch before playing.

Turn off paper and smoke PhysX. Might help a little.

scitek

Anyone tried that Nvidia Fix 355.38? It should fix TDR issue in Google Chrome browser but some users report better performance in AK (especially SLI):

http://steamcommunity.com/app/208650/discussions/0/523890046875460772/

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...ce-hotfix-driver-353-38/post/4584698/#4584698

I just installed these, restarted and played for about an hour without any severe stuttering. It still hitched a bit as I flew around, but it was much improved. I can't say for sure if it was because of the drivers, or simply starting the game fresh from a reboot, but the drivers are worth a try.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I just installed these, restarted and played for about an hour without any severe stuttering. It still hitched a bit as I flew around, but it was much improved. I can't say for sure if it was because of the drivers, or simply starting the game fresh from a reboot, but the drivers are worth a try.
I shall report on these drivers too as I installed them last night.

While the Nvidia Physx based things crash my game almost instantly everything else appears to at least work now, especially with the INI tweaks.
May wait for further latches though as my GTX 780 clearly struggles at times at 1080p.

M3z_

Running on a Titan X 1445mhz with a 1440p Gsync monitor.

Game looks good in motion, and Gsync seems to remove stuttering issues others are having. I'm playing with uncapped frame rate and I get FPS in 60-75 range generally with occasional dips to mid 40's in real intense situations. The one issue I definitely still have is occasional texture pop in. I haven't had issues as severe as I've read others having in here, having to wait minutes before the texture pops in, but occasionally I spot random things in the environment that don't have their textures for about 5 seconds or so.

Zakalwe

Banned
In BMEngine.ini, under Texture Streaming (Line 755) try changing the following options:

[TextureStreaming]
MinTextureResidentMipCount=7
PoolSize=768
MemoryMargin=128
MemoryLoss=0
HysteresisLimit=30
MinRequestedMipsToConsider=9
MinTimeToGuaranteeMinMipCount=5
MaxTimeToGuaranteeMinMipCount=12
UseTextureFileCache=False
MinEvictSize=9
bAllowSwitchingStreamingSystem=True

Save/Backup your original before of course in case it performs worse.

Thanks, made no difference at all.

I think I might leave it at this point, it's becoming too frustrating dealing with this. Even if I set everything to off/low, I get the exact same thing (locked 30 dipping to 28), even if I drop to 900p...

Hope the fix comes soon.

Thanks, made no difference at all.

I think I might leave it at this point, it's becoming too frustrating dealing with this. Even if I set everything to off/low, I get the exact same thing (locked 30 dipping to 28), even if I drop to 900p...

Hope the fix comes soon.

The texture streaming bug is proably with how it is coded on their end, and does not have to do with user settable .inis. Otherwise people with insane amounts of VRAM, RAM, etc... would not be having much if any trouble.

Just gottta wait it out unfortunately.

CryptiK

i7-2600k 8GB RAM and a Geforce Titan. 1440p downsampled to 1080p with all gameworks on. I get 28-30FPS runs somewhat smooth. I can't wait til they optimize it I should get a stable 30+ at 4K basing it off other Unreal titles.

CHC

I wonder why the paper physics are so demanding in this game? I'm just realizing it was in the other Arkham games and cost very little. Probably like 10 million points of tessellation crammed on each sheet just to make it seem like some crazy future tech....

If the Internet is to be believed, people with 970s seem to be getting the best performance.

I feel like a dick posting it because I know tons of people are having issues and the port is horrible but I'm getting pretty good performance with my 970. I get anywhere from 30-60 fps while gliding and driving but it never significantly drops <30 to be experience ruining, and walking/running around gameplay is a solid 60. I think a lot of it has to do with G-Sync smoothing out the frame drops that are in the 40-60 range but it can't do anything about engine stutters. However ever since I moved it to my SSD I've barely had those. So I stopped waiting for further patches and am just playing through now.

roytheone

I feel like a dick posting it because I know tons of people are having issues and the port is horrible but I'm getting pretty good performance with my 970. I get anywhere from 30-60 fps while gliding and driving but it never significantly drops <30 to be experience ruining, and walking/running around gameplay is a solid 60. I think a lot of it has to do with G-Sync smoothing out the frame drops that are in the 40-60 range but it can't do anything about engine stutters. However ever since I moved it to my SSD I've barely had those. So I stopped waiting for further patches and am just playing through now.

I have an GTX 970, and the game runs pretty bad for me. It often drops to 25 fps when driving the batmobile/gliding around the city, and after playing for about 20 minutes I get constant stutters that make the game unplayable :(

vocab

If the Internet is to be believed, people with 970s seem to be getting the best performance.
It runs okay on my 970. Nothing spectacular. Double avg framerate compared to my 670.

Nvidia promoed this game with 970 and 980. In a world where a shit port didnt exist, those cards would have the best performance.

ValfarHL

I have an GTX 970, and the game runs pretty bad for me. It often drops to 25 fps when driving the batmobile/gliding around the city, and after playing for about 20 minutes I get constant stutters that make the game unplayable :(

I wonder what causes these issues, when other people (including me) has an almost stable 45-60 with the same hardware. I did some tweaking in the ini files, though.

I'm really surprised I've been able to put 24 hours into this game and haven't had a single crash. The performance based on my machine leaves a lot to be desired, but the game has been playable for me the entire time. I'm almost done with the main story.

I wonder what causes some to experience crashes non-stop and someone like me to play through the game relatively problem free?

Since the patch I've just been running the game at locked 30 and it feels great. Haven't encountered any bugs yet but only about 3 hours into the game. I'm on a 970 too. I've had one hard crash to desktop but that's it. It was a driver crash which I have been getting with Witcher 3 as well.

Domstercool

I'm really surprised I've been able to put 24 hours into this game and haven't had a single crash. The performance based on my machine leaves a lot to be desired, but the game has been playable for me the entire time. I'm almost done with the main story.

I wonder what causes some to experience crashes non-stop and someone like me to play through the game relatively problem free?

Some could be based on graphical settings. Are you maxing out all the visuals, because I have a feeling people using middle ground settings are probably not crashing as much. Probably wrong though. :)

Lagamorph

I think amount of RAM has a lot to do with performance/crashes. People with 970/980/Titans who are having problems seem to also only have 8GB of RAM in a lot of cases. My performance is very close to a constant 60fps with a 970 and ini tweaks, even when gliding or driving, but I have twice that much RAM.
From the looks of things though, the longer you play the worse performance starts getting, and I've only played in short bursts. More RAM possibly just delays the issues starting.

kejigoto

Banned
Haven't messed with Gameworks since the new patch but my performance is now worse than ever.

GTX 970 4GB
Intel i5 2500k @ 4.0ghz
8GB RAM
Windows 7 on SSD
Steam on 1 TB HDD (can't remember what exactly, been a few years, never had troubles with this before)

Running the game at 1080p, everything but Gameworks on and maxed, and fps set to 30 (got plenty of hang ups running 60 fps).

Basically if I'm out no the streets in Gotham doing anything in the Batmobile or transitioning from one area to the next I'm getting a ton of freezing, a lot of dropped frames, and now while exploring my controls will become unresponsive for a few moments and then suddenly every input I did comes through at once completely messing me up. Unless I'm running around on foot or loaded into a smaller inside area (like the movie studio sequence which I just barely completed and the game crashed the moment I went outside).

I've noticed when I first get into the game and start playing my memory usage is 5.5GB out of 8GB total. In about 20 minutes that jumps up to 7.9GB and if I keep going my system will eventually crash.

With each patch Arkham Knight is getting worse and worse for me. I'm at 15 hours and it is pretty much unplayable for me now. Also updated to the latest NVIDIA 353.38 driver.

Some could be based on graphical settings. Are you maxing out all the visuals, because I have a feeling people using middle ground settings are probably not crashing as much. Probably wrong though. :)

I've got all the Nvidia stuff on and all the settings as high as they will go. I have AA off currently, but I've had it on for hours before that off and on with no issues.

I think amount of RAM has a lot to do with performance/crashes. People with 970/980/Titans who are having problems seem to also only have 8GB of RAM in a lot of cases. My performance is very close to a constant 60fps with a 970 and ini tweaks, even when gliding or driving, but I have twice that much RAM.
From the looks of things though, the longer you play the worse performance starts getting, and I've only played in short bursts. More RAM possibly just delays the issues starting.

This may have something to do with it, I have 16GB of ram. However, I don't know about the worsening performance over time or maybe there is a limit to how far it goes? Because I played all day yesterday and my performance was consistent. Steam says I played 13 hours (went from 11 to 24).

kejigoto

Banned
This may have something to do with it, I have 16GB of ram. However, I don't know about the worsening performance over time or maybe there is a limit to how far it goes? Because I played all day yesterday and my performance was consistent. Steam says I played 13 hours (went from 11 to 24).

I can safely say that the longer I play the worse performance gets. I used to get a few hours before I started noticing the game being to slog along but if I restarted the game everything was fine. Once I hit about 12 hours it began to happen very quickly, usually about an hour but now it takes only 10 to 20 minutes before I'm freezing and all kinds of stuff.

Zakalwe

Banned

We have people with only 8gb citing better performance than people with the same amount or more. Also, my performance starts poor and remains consistent no matter how long I play.

roytheone

So after some tweaking, i managed to fix the worst of my stuttering (frame rate still dips when gliding and driving around the city, but I no longer get the unplayable stutters), but now the texture pop in is even worse, I see this kind of shit everywhere:

I think I am done trying to fix the game myself, will just wait on some patches :(

Holdfing

I'm playing on a REALLY modest system (FX6300, 260x 2GB, 8GB RAM) with everything set to low/off and at 900p, and I would consider the game to be playable. That said, I can run other games way better than this (GTAV, Witcher 3), and if I had a machine like some of you lot, I wouldn't be okay with 1080p/30, that's for sure.

Top Bottom