• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

jorimt

Well, I think I found what triggers the reduction of the heavier "PS4-style" rain effect. I created yet another new save slot and began the game, and sure enough, PS4 level rain density on Batman, the Batmobile, and the environment were present. But here's the problem: once you quit the game and reload the save, the rain effects revert to the weaker version for good. Screenshot proof below...

New save (continuous session, no quit), Same new save (quit and reloaded):
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/132981

As can clearly be seen, not only are the rain effects on the Batmobile diminished, but there is also much less rain falling from the sky and onto the ground. So good news is, whenever this is fixed, you won't have to start a new save, bad news, well, if you want the PS4 level rain effects currently, you must start a new game and never quit.

I wonder what exactly is triggering the reversion after a save is reloaded?

Struct09

I officially got my refund. I've moved on to the PS4 version - if the PC issues ever get sorted out and the season pass content turns out good, then I can see myself buying the whole package for PC on the cheap some day. Hope they resolve the issues soon for those that are holding out.

scitek

Well, I think I found what triggers the reduction of the heavier "PS4-style" rain effect. I created yet another new save slot and began the game, and sure enough, PS4 level rain density on Batman, the Batmobile, and the environment were present. But here's the problem: once you quit the game and reload the save, the rain effects revert to the weaker version for good. Screenshot proof below...

As can clearly be seen, not only are the rain effects on the Batmobile diminished, but there is also much less rain falling from the sky and onto the ground. So good news is, whenever this is fixed, you won't have to start a new save, bad news, well, if you want the PS4 level rain effects currently, you must start a new game and never quit.

Is it always raining the same amount throughout the entire game? I swear I've seen it rain harder at times than others, and if that's the case, dynamic amounts showing on the cars and characters would also make sense.

viveks86

Is it always raining the same amount throughout the entire game? I swear I've seen it rain harder at times than others, and if that's the case, dynamic amounts showing on the cars and characters would also make sense.

That would make sense, but that shader effect has never shown up for me after the first quit, regardless of how heavy it rains. Whatever fix they've implemented only works properly on "New Game" and not "Continue Story"

datamage

That would make sense, but that shader effect has never shown up for me after the first quit, regardless of how heavy it rains. Whatever fix they've implemented only works properly on "New Game" and not "Continue Story"

This is not true at all. It's working fine for me even after I continue my game.

jorimt

All I know is that I never see the full/correct intensity of rain ever again after loading a save from a new game or otherwise (I'm over 70% into the main story on my primary save). And the rain effects I do have (visible in image #2 of my previous comparison) remain constant in density no matter what I try, or how long my session is. It is entirely possible that some players aren't effected by this and can continue their save with the proper rain effects intact. It's downright confusing, that's for sure.

Zakalwe

Banned

I'm pretty sure the amount of rain is dynamic. It definitely varies for me between light and heavy.

Buburibon

All I know is that I never see the full/correct intensity of rain ever again after loading a save from a new game or otherwise (I'm over 70% into the main story on my primary save). And the rain effects I do have (visible in image #2 of my previous comparison) remain constant in density no matter what I try, or how long my session is. It is entirely possible that some players aren't effected by this and can continue their save with the proper rain effects intact. It's downright confusing, that's for sure.

This is not true at all. It's working fine for me even after I continue my game.

I deleted everything I could find that had to do with the game and downloaded it again last night, and it's now behaving exactly as jorimt described -- starting a new game always features the "full" rain effect as long as the player does not exit the session. Any subsequent continues show a "weakened" effect. Every single time.

datamage

Can you share some shots of the batmobile in rain?

Once I get home from work, sure thing. Are you guys having issues with the rain effects, just on the batmobile, or on Batman as well? I can say for sure that I've noticed it on the suit while I'm stalking on buildings.

Zakalwe

Banned
I deleted everything I could find that had to do with the game and downloaded it again last night, and it's now behaving exactly as jorimt described -- starting a new game always features the "full" rain effect as long as the player does not exit the session. Any subsequent continues show a "weakened" effect. Every single time.

To clarify, are you guys talking about the amount of rain falling or the raintexture, or both?

jorimt

Once I get home from work, sure thing. Are you guys having issues with the rain effects, just on the batmobile, or on Batman as well? I can say for sure that I've noticed it on the suit while I'm stalking on buildings.

To clarify, are you guys talking about the amount of rain falling or the raintexture, or both?

For clarification, the rain effects are always present (as seen in image #2 of my previous comparison) on everything (Batsuit, Batmobile, and environment, for me), but just in a heavily diminished state when compared to what's present when starting a new game (as seen in image #1 of my previous comparison).

I'd be helpful to see an image depicting the full rain effects, even after quitting and loading up a save. If that's the case for some, it may shed more light on what's causing this for some and not others.

rain texture

Here is my rain texture in "continue story"
raink5uih.png

viveks86

On the Batmobile. It still shows on Batman. It shows on the Batmobile too, but not the extent as it would when you play the game uninterrupted from start.

Load from save:

batmanak2015-06-2718-ijstx.png

New game:

batmanak2015-06-2720-kcleo.png

Zakalwe

Banned
rain texture

Here is my rain texture in "continue story"
raink5uih.png

For clarification, the rain effects are always present (as seen in image #2 of my previous comparison) on everything (Batsuit, Batmobile, and environment, for me), but just in a heavily diminished state when compared to what's present when starting a new game (as seen in image #1 of my previous comparison).

I'd be helpful to see an image depicting the full rain effects, even after quitting and loading up a save. If that's the case for some, it may shed more light on what's causing this for some and not others.

Right, same thing happens to me. Just checked by starting a new game and reloading it.

Buburibon

I'm talking about the "raintextures" as you put it. In my experience the effect is definitely there, but its intensity/amount was never again as pronounced (as when starting a new game) once I chose to continue the story. That is, no matter how far into the game, or which save slot is being used.

EDIT: Yes, I see you've confirmed it yourself.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
On the Batmobile. It still shows on Batman. It shows on the Batmobile too, but not the extent as it would when you play the game uninterrupted from start.

Load from save:

batmanak2015-06-2718-ijstx.png

New game:

batmanak2015-06-2720-kcleo.png

There's also much less falling rain in the load from save example.

pahamrick

16GB DDR4 @ 2400Mhz

I thought about putting on my SSD but it uses Denovo and I've heard horror stories of that detroying SSDs

The stuff about Denovo isn't true, as was proven not long after Dragon Age came out. So it doesn't hurt to try the SSD and see if it helps you.

BTW AMD users, any of you installed the latest driver when it was still mislabeled?
If so, how do you know if you got the mislabeled one?

Looks like it's raining less in the comparison shots, I've been seeing the normal "PS4" amount of rain on the Batmobile + Batman from continuing my save and have been noticing the rain definitely varies from time to time and it affects the droplet textures.

viveks86

There's also much less falling rain in the load from save example.

There's going to be some variation due to the dynamic nature. I have checked later portions of the game where it does rain like crazy, but the rain effect remains weakened.

Looks like it's raining less in the comparison shots, I've been seeing the normal "PS4" amount of rain on the Batmobile + Batman from continuing my save and have been noticing the rain definitely varies from time to time and it affects the droplet textures.

Can you share a screen?

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
It really is, a shame I have to play at a locked 30 for now. Mainly focusing on the side stuff as much as I can.
i can manage to run the game at a steady 60 at 1440p while fighting and runing around but as soon as i start gliding or driving around my frame just looks like an earthquake, all over the place, lowering the resolution does not help at all and the weird thing is that my gpu usage is only at 85%

Älg

So, if we disregard stuttering, could anyone tell me how the games runs on a 680? The card is really starting to show it's age.

I don't mean to derail the thread with a performance related question, but it'd be nice to know.

Buburibon

That certainly looks more than what I've seen so far. Though the PS4 version consistently shows blotches instead of light streaks

Screenshot-Original.png

The best way to compare is to test the "Evening the Odds" cutscene from previous save vs new game.

Exactly, "blotches vs. streaks." I wonder if it's always "blotches" in the PS4 version. It'd be great if someone could confirm it.

First activity again on the depot since the last patch...c'mon~ WB.

Hopefully it's for performance and whatnot. The performance I get regardless of tweaks is terrible. 30fps cannot stay locked without constant hitching/stuttering and streaming texture issues. I just will wait. I requested a refund already.

pahamrick

For the life of me i can't figure out why two of the gameworks either hard crashes the game or causes it to downclock and lock until reboot.

After monitoring the temperatures, the card never goes above 56C with the current settings, but 5-10 minutes into the game the memory sudden downclocks, followed by the core a few moments later. Then the game either goes slowmo (15or less FPS) or outright crashes.

But everything is perfectly fine with those two options disabled. Is anyone running Gameworks Fog & Debris on Windows 10? I'm trying to find a correlation between people who have those options enabled without issue and those who do have issues.

I'd take just fixing the memory leaks and GPU utilization for patch two with the third improving GameWorks and adding graphic settings

Smoke/Fog and debris are kind of messed up for everyone it seems currently. Never mind "Turbulence" just takes a ridiculous amount of the GPU's processing power.

Evo X

But everything is perfectly fine with those two options disabled. Is anyone running Gameworks Fog & Debris on Windows 10? I'm trying to find a correlation between people who have those options enabled without issue and those who do have issues.

Those two settings have been confirmed to be glitched right now for everyone.

I get the same issue on Windows 8.1 with a Titan X.

pahamrick

I'd take just fixing the memory leaks and GPU utilization for patch two with the third improving GameWorks and adding graphic settings

Smoke/Fog and debris are kind of messed up for everyone it seems currently. Never mind "Turbulence" just takes a ridiculous amount of the GPU's processing power.

Those two settings have been confirmed to be glitched right now for everyone.

I get the same issue on Windows 8.1 with a Titan X.

Debris has been working fine for me on Windows 10. The smoke effects cause the game to crash.

Interesting, thanks!

Evo X

How would I check that? The game has been a pretty consistent 30 FPS with it on.

I'm using a 970.

It's not something you can notice just by looking at performance.

Download GPU-Z or MSI Afterburner, and have it keep a log of memory clock. You will see that if either smoke or debris is on, then your memory will go down to 3,300mhz instead of the stock 3,500mhz.

Here's a thread on it on the Steam forums:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/208650/discussions/0/523890046869403928/

Puggles

Evo X

Must be on Win10? I don't have debris enabled since I don't care for it, but smoke effects are working fine on my end. (Win8.1 + 980 Ti)

The effects work just fine for most, but I think the memory clock issue persists for everyone. Can you check?

NeonBlack

For the life of me i can't figure out why two of the gameworks either hard crashes the game or causes it to downclock and lock until reboot.

After monitoring the temperatures, the card never goes above 56C with the current settings, but 5-10 minutes into the game the memory sudden downclocks, followed by the core a few moments later. Then the game either goes slowmo (15or less FPS) or outright crashes.

Not having any issue but stutters and occasional crash (maybe once a day). All settings on and maxed but AA off.

Win 8.1 980ti

Top Bottom