• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

CryptiK

Hmmm it looks like PS4 water/ocean is much better looking than the PC version. On mobile cant post pics look at the for examples.

pahamrick

I moved AK back to my 7200rpm HDD to run some tests.
With a few tweaks to the texture streaming options on the first page, and by using the Nvidia adaptive half refresh vsync while downsampling I've completely eliminated any stutter from using a standard HDD for me.

Changing a few more settings to see if I can't minimize the now more noticeable texture streaming pop-in.

Hmmm it looks like PS4 water/ocean is much better looking than the PC version. On mobile cant post pics look at the for examples.

I'm pretty sure the second one is on PS4, not sure about the first though:

SecretGloriousIchthyostega.gif

AK3-2.gif

pahamrick

Alright, a few more tweaks and I'm pretty happy with standard HDD performance. Absolutely no stutter that I could see during gameplay (I saw a bit during playback of the video I recorded, but I don't know if I just didn't see it during gameplay or if it was caused by the recording since I'm recording to a 5400rpm storage drive.)
I've got the video uploading but my connection is being shit and saying it'll take 3 hours.

If anyone is interested in testing the tweaks I'm using:
BMSystemSettings.ini: http://pastebin.com/4My2Gra6
BMEngine.ini: http://pastebin.com/WyaHCHZE

Using Nvidia Adaptive Half-Refresh Vsync.

Interesting to note, that no matter what I tried I couldn't ever get the game to a locked 60fps, even after dropping the resolution to 1600x900. It would always dip into the 40s during super fast Batmobile runs, or fast gliding around the city on the HDD, and into the mid to low 50s on the SSD.

Oh, and this was downsampling from 2560x1440.

There's going to be some variation due to the dynamic nature. I have checked later portions of the game where it does rain like crazy, but the rain effect remains weakened.

Can you share a screen?

I can when I get home from work, I'm not sure how much the cape is affected but when I was gliding around I distinctly remember last night that it the entire cape was soaking wet.

viveks86

seph1roth

I've been making some tweaks recently, i've never done any OC to GPU or CPU but this guide for the 970 G1 took my attention, this are the results:

Guide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiBrMrsj86Y

FURMARK

STOCK
M09pPws.jpg

OC
NrRCqEg.jpg

BATMAN AK (everything maxed but ingame AA, all gameworks ON)

STOCK
kVkhHMY.jpg

OC
yaSpnKg.jpg

And some benchs using reshade (with SMAA)

STOCK+RESHADE
7a0dcX3.jpg

OC+RESHADE
2ohGXZG.jpg

To be fair, they are working on patches going by the history too. It's just funny that they're trying to hide the metacritic, it's not like the steam reviews aren't there for everyone to see.

Probably gave the meta critic update to Iron Galaxy while everyone else works on important things. They can't mess that up.

Alright, a few more tweaks and I'm pretty happy with standard HDD performance. Absolutely no stutter that I could see during gameplay (I saw a bit during playback of the video I recorded, but I don't know if I just didn't see it during gameplay or if it was caused by the recording since I'm recording to a 5400rpm storage drive.)
I've got the video uploading but my connection is being shit and saying it'll take 3 hours.

Interesting to note, that no matter what I tried I couldn't ever get the game to a locked 60fps, even after dropping the resolution to 1600x900. It would always dip into the 40s during super fast Batmobile runs, or fast gliding around the city on the HDD, and into the mid to low 50s on the SSD.

This helped me out a lot. I'm on a I5 4690K stock clock, 3GB R9 280 stock speeds and 8GB DDR3 RAM. Using your ini files It seems to hitch and stutter way less often and it's much more playable.

jorimt

The cape shows the effect just fine now (I think). Issue being discussed was primarily with the Batmobile.

No it affects the cape as well, you can tell right off, since correct rain effects also make the cape much darker.

New save vs. loaded save (disregard the smoke difference in the first shot on the right; story/mission change):
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/133027

I'm sure the devs know exactly why it's doing this, thus their mentioning it vaguely in the last patch notes. Hopefully the latest steamdb activity (devoid the metacritic change) signals another "interim" patch including a fix for this soon.

pahamrick

This helped me out a lot. I'm on a I5 4690K stock clock, 3GB R9 280 stock speeds and 8GB DDR3 RAM. Using your ini files It seems to hitch and stutter way less often and it's much more playable.

Awesome.

I can't seem to fix the texture streaming that seems way worse on a standard HDD, no matter what I change though. I keep coming across things that either take awhile to load, or just don't load period.

viveks86

No it affects the cape as well, you can tell right off, since correct rain effects also make the cape much darker.

New save vs. loaded save (disregard the smoke difference in the first shot on the right; story/mission change):
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/133027

I'm sure the devs know exactly why it's doing this, thus their mentioning it vaguely in the last patch notes. Hopefully the latest steamdb activity (devoid the metacritic change) signals another "interim" patch including a fix for this soon.

I see. Oh well. Thanks to this issue, every time Batman talks to Oracle, I get distracted by the effects (or the lack of it) on his cape. "Am I seeing rain effects? Am I not seeing rain effects? Is it as good as what I saw on the PS4? Aaargh". After a while I gave up and started paying more attention to the dialog instead :/

jorimt

I see. Oh well. Thanks to this issue, every time Batman talks to Oracle, I get distracted by the effects (or the lack of it) on his cape. "Am I seeing rain effects? Am I not seeing rain effects? Is it as good as what I saw on the PS4? Aaargh". After a while I gave up and started paying more attention to the dialog instead :/

Excellent idea ;)

Ah well, it will get fixed eventually. Again, besides starting a new game and never shutting it off, I don't think there's any more we can do at this point to correct it.

Not performance related bit if you fall through the world you'll seemingly be stuck there forever or at least until you restart/reload. Trying to find the spot where I did it again, just remember I landed to the right of a breakable object, might be able to track it down from that but if you recognize this area from the outside you might be able to find it.

Looking at it again I could probably track it down fairly easily.

2VW0sl4.jpg

Luftwaffle

Neo Member
Soooo...

Is it worth trying to run this game yet or holding out for more patches for a seamless experience? I have it sitting in my Steam library since last week and didn't bother even starting it up when it unlocked due to the issues reported. Is it any better now?

Seems that everyones experience is different. I'd be running on a 970/i5-4670k at 1080p.

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member

i tried your setting but why is it my frame locked at 30?

Soooo...

Is it worth trying to run this game yet or holding out for more patches for a seamless experience? I have it sitting in my Steam library since last week and didn't bother even starting it up when it unlocked due to the issues reported. Is it any better now?

Seems that everyones experience is different. I'd be running on a 970/i5-4670k at 1080p.

I've put in a good 10 hours since the patch, it runs okay for me with the shit AA off and smoke/fog and paper thing disabled, didn't run horrible with it on either but the GPU hit wasn't worth it for the former and besides that they're down clocking VRAM. That said, the only reason I think it's playable for me is because of my having the game and page file on my SSD since when I moved my PF to an HDD it lead to a good bit of frame drops/stuttering. I haven't messed with the INI files either.

Gonna see how it runs for me tomorrow again after I install my new RAM.

pahamrick

thanks, it does makes the stutter more bearable but the frame fluctuations are still to bad to make the game playable for me

Yeah. I had to lock it at 30 via the half refresh adaptive option. I think I'm just going to put it up and re-start from the beginning once it's completely fixed.

jorimt

Here's shots of my game loaded up, 9% progress in the game.

Hmm, interesting, that Batmobile shot definitely looks like it has the correct rain effects. This is after you quit and loaded the game again on that save correct? Also, a few more questions (bear with me here ;)...

1. Your PC specs?
2. In-game settings?
3. Did you apply any ini tweaks?
4. If you have a Nvidia GPU, have you applied anything in the CP or Nvidia Inspector?
5. Are you running the game with any overlays enabled (Steam, FRAPS, Afterburner, etc)?
7. Do you have the latest drivers?
8. Are you overclocking your CPU and/or GPU?

Lastly, could you, per chance, post a screen of Batman gliding?

EDIT: 9. Did you install the game before or after the patch was released?

Hmm, interesting, that Batmobile shot definitely looks like it has the correct rain effects. A few questions (berar with me here ;)...

1. Your PC specs?
2. In-game settings?
3. Did you apply any ini tweaks?
4. If you have a Nvidia GPU, have you applied anything in the CP or Nvidia Inspector?
5. Are you running the game with any overlays enabled (Steam, FRAPS, Afterburner, etc?)
7. Do you have the latest drivers?
8. Are you overclocking your CPU and/or GPU?

No problem man, I still get some textures popping in much slower but sometimes if I zoom in via right thumb stick, it will force the texture to come in.

1. Core Components: i7-4790k, 16GB Ram, R9 295x2.

2. I have everything on it's highest setting, no AA and definitely no Nvidia extra for me. But the extra enhanced rain and other setting is on. v-sync is off, and my resolution is 2560x1440.

3. I applied all the ini tweaks from the first post, the only variation is the frame rate, instead of 60 I have set it to 120 because my monitor goes to 120hz.

4. N/A

5. I have steam overlay on + the little built-in frame counter.

6. I have installed the latest beta drivers from AMD's website, the one labeled "Batman Arkham Knight Drivers"

7. My CPU is indeed overclocked to 4.5 GHz, the GPU is not overclocked at all aside from setting the power limit to 20%

Also I did stand around the Batmobile for a bit and waited to see if the rain would build up and it definitely had points where it had more rain, then less, then more. This was visually apparent from the density of the rain and also with the amount of droplets hitting the car.

Edit: 9 (8?) Installed before the game had it's first patch. I never verified the files since it was pre-loaded.

Batman Gliding

jorimt

No problem man, I still get some textures popping in much slower but sometimes if I zoom in via right thumb stick, it will force the texture to come in.

1. Core Components: i7-4790k, 16GB Ram, R9 295x2.

2. I have everything on it's highest setting, no AA and definitely no Nvidia extra for me. But the extra enhanced rain and other setting is on. v-sync is off, and my resolution is 2560x1440.

3. I applied all the ini tweaks from the first post, the only variation is the frame rate, instead of 60 I have set it to 120 because my monitor goes to 120hz.

4. N/A

5. I have steam overlay on + the little built-in frame counter.

6. I have installed the latest beta drivers from AMD's website, the one labeled "Batman Arkham Knight Drivers"

7. My CPU is indeed overclocked to 4.5 GHz, the GPU is not overclocked at all aside from setting the power limit to 20%

Also I did stand around the Batmobile for a bit and waited to see if the rain would build up and it definitely had points where it had more rain, then less, then more. This was visually apparent from the density of the rain and also with the amount of droplets hitting the car.

Thanks for that (and the gliding image; just realized I skipped a number in my list ;p).

I know at least two of us in this thread that have been experiencing this issue have Nvidia GPUs. Perhaps there's a driver glitch on Nvidia that's not present on AMD.

To be clear (again), those who have the problem are getting static rain coverage/droplets; they don't increase/decrease in the game (the before images I've posted is all I get, no matter where I am or how long I play). However, on the other hand, it looks like your cape is getting the same coverage as the "incorrect" result I've been getting. But you and others may be right in saying that the drop rate of the rain is dynamic; sometimes less, sometimes more. If that's the case, then yours still could be working as intended.

One thing is finally clear though...and that's that nothing is clear ;p

Playing in 2440x1440 at near constant 60fps, no NVidia effect enabled.

i5 at 3.40ghz
8gb ram

all in all much smoother than the PS4 version is and the 21:9 is much nicer too.

No problems at all.

Vintage

i5 at 3.40ghz
8gb ram

all in all much smoother than the PS4 version is and the 21:9 is much nicer too.

No problems at all.

GPU?

Is 970 already outdated? I can't keep 30fps with it on 1080p, without effects. Constant stuttering, slowdowns and drops to <20fps :(

neorej

ERMYGERD!
This morning I decided to just go nuts and switch to 1440p DSR without AA, and the game performs and looks better than 1080p with AA.

i5 at 3.40ghz
8gb ram

No problems at all.
Don't do this.
By this I mean come to a PC per thread with incomplete info and "drop the mic".
There is absolutely no way you're playing this game, in this state, at that resolution and that framerate.

Top Bottom