• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

GPU: GTX970

I use the GeForce experience setting, also the resolution is 2560x1080.
60fps

no gameworks, no problems with Batmobile, no edited ini file.

framerate set to 60fps obiviously...

Framerate set to 60fps in the ini, but no texture edits etc..
BS, man. And don't take it personally.
160 pages in, after people who have considerably more powerful rigs than you (Titan X's, 980Ti's, etc.) couldn't maintain 60fps, here you come with a 970 claiming otherwise.
I'm about to finish this game after 35 hrs and thankfully just one crash (yea, one of the lucky ones).

i5-4670K, non-OC
Gigabyte G1 970
8GB RAM
SSD
gaming on 1080p TV
everything maxed, NVIDIA smoke off.

I get a range of 30-60fps. Yes, 60fps mostly, but nowhere near as stable. Riding around in a batmobile or grappling/gliding drops it do below 40 on average. Lucikly it doesn't bother me as much since I prefer higher (even variable) framerate to 30fps lock.

Either show proof (via NVIDIA Shadowplay or similar) or just stop. The game is most definitely not stable 60fps on 99% of the rigs out there, especially yours and mine which are almost identical.

This isn't a brag, I just used the geforce experience setting. Shadows on low etc.. most of the time its 60fps. of course when shit starts happening it can dip down to the 40s 50s.

So...whatever...

None of the changes or tweaks to the ini files have had any impact on my performance with my 970. Regardless of what I do, the game will eventually start stuttering after 30min - 1 hour of play. And when you unlock to 60fps it just brings dramatic framerate drops when moving around quickly, as well as texture issues.

I've resigned myself to playing at 30, which is actually pretty smooth, and having to restart every so often to stop the stuttering/hitching.

I'm convinced most of the changes people think they're effecting by tweaking these files is all just placebo.

Yea, that was so hard to mention in the first post. ;)

First post said: at near constant 60fps

so therefore not LOCKED TO 60FPS. When there are a few vehicles crashing into each in Chinatown some dips happen.
Again, optimized with Geforce Experience, no gameworks, runs and looks better than PS4 version.

Zakalwe

Banned
First post said: at near constant 60fps

so therefore not LOCKED TO 60FPS. When there are a few vehicles crashing into each in Chinatown some dips happen.
Again, optimized with Geforce Experience, no gameworks, runs and looks better than PS4 version.

It honestly holds 60fps more than it dips?

Yeah, I don't spend most of my time trying to fuck the engine doing donuts in the car in the center of town. But playing normally with the optimization its fine. Much better than the PS4 version which I put 4 hours into but the 30fps was very annoying.

Zakalwe

Banned
Yeah, I don't spend most of my time trying to fuck the engine doing donuts in the car in the center of town. But playing normally with the optimization its fine. Much better than the PS4 version which I put 4 hours into but the 30fps was very annoying.

Fair enough if it holds more often than not. For me, it dips every few seconds and that's much more off-putting than locked 30.

Zakalwe

Banned
Looks like I'm going to have to wait for the fix. I'm in the post game free roam, moppingup quests to get the full ending, and my fps (which was sat at 30 before) is tanking to the 20 constantly.

Had three crashes in the last hour, and now I'm getting those hideous stutters that pause the game for seconds at a time. My Vram is at full capacity.

Not sure why it's happening now, but I can't play it like this. :(

Any word on when the next patch is supposed to come in. The one with performance fixes?

Not yet. Al they could say right now is "working on it" anyway. Giving a date would be a terrible idea considering anything could happen and they can't afford to miss another promise.

Blazed

I actually have a near constant 60 fps as well without changing anything in the ini files. I'm not sure how myself. processor is i7-4770k, 16 gb ram, and a gtx 970. I'm playing at a resolution of 1920x1080, everything set to high, with two nvidia settings on(enhanced rain and enhanced light shafts) with the constant 60 fps except some minor dips here and there. When i change the resolution to 3840x2160, the fps becomes a constant 30 fps. I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to these things, but which is better in this case? the 1920x1080 with the better fps or the 3840x2160 with the lower fps?

I actually have a near constant 60 fps as well without changing anything in the ini files. I'm not sure how myself. processor is i7-4770k, 16 gb ram, and a gtx 970. I'm playing at a resolution of 1920x1080, everything set to high, with two nvidia settings on(enhanced rain and enhanced light shafts) with the constant 60 fps except some minor dips here and there. When i change the resolution to 3840x2160, the fps becomes a constant 30 fps. I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to these things, but which is better in this case? the 1920x1080 with the better fps or the 3840x2160 with the lower fps?

How can you even have near 60fps with no modifications to the ini when it is capped at 30fps by default.

sgs2008

Gave up on trying to get a steady 60 fps on my titan x at 1440p. Set the fps limit back to 30 and the game is rly smooth. With the ao and rain effects + not having texture streaming issues anymore randomly. I would say the game is more than playable and definitely a looker. Gonna hold off a bit longer as I finish the witcher 3 hopefully some more fixes will be out if not i could prob do a playthrough as is.

Blazed

How can you even have near 60fps with no modifications to the ini when it is capped at 30fps by default.

The number that you see at the pc performance test is the fps, right? If it is, then mine is almost always at 59-60. I don't even know how to modify ini files, since I never bothered to check after seeing it at 59-60. I assumed that maybe they did an update and modified it on their own. You can correct me if I'm wrong and that number is actually something else, as I said I'm a bit ignorant about these things. If it is the FPS though, then it's 60 on its own without modification, I honestly don't know how myself but I guarantee you that I never touched any ini files.

smuf

The number that you see at the pc performance test is the fps, right? If it is, then mine is almost always at 59-60. I don't even know how to modify ini files, since I never bothered to check after seeing it at 59-60. I assumed that maybe they did an update and modified it on their own. You can correct me if I'm wrong and that number is actually something else, as I said I'm a bit ignorant about these things. If it is the FPS though, then it's 60 on its own without modification, I honestly don't know how myself but I guarantee you that I never touched any ini files.

The benchmark isn't capped to 30 for whatever reason.

Eyothrie

That PC performance Test unfortunately doesn't reflect what you will get when you actually play the game.

Wandering Ronin

Neo Member
Anyone ever find a real fix for xbox 360 controllers not working? Works on every other game, but i've tried 2 different ones, and trying input mapper with a dualshock 4, and the game will not recognize any of them.

I plug the dualshock 4 in with a cable and it works just fine though. Its weird.

chuseph14

Neo Member

That makes sense. But its only the benchmark that is getting those framerates. In-game, you're locked to 30 unless you modify the ini file. The benchmark isn't really where anyone is having issues anyway

Anyone ever find a real fix for xbox 360 controllers not working? Works on every other game, but i've tried 2 different ones, and trying input mapper with a dualshock 4, and the game will not recognize any of them.

I plug the dualshock 4 in with a cable and it works just fine though. Its weird.

In input mapper, there should be an option to "Hide DS4", at least the option was there in DS4 Windows. AK recognizes the DS4 without the xinput wrapper so it's seeing it both as DS4 and 360 controller.

Omega

Banned

mine worked just fine. didn't even know this was an issue

KingV

The benchmark isn't capped to 30 for whatever reason.

My guess is that the 30 fps cap has nothing to do with rendering pipeline and everything to do with streaming and memory leak issues. That would explain why the test is uncapped, and everyone sees such low gpu utilization.

Hopefully this means good things for when the issues are ironed out.

Blazed

That PC performance Test unfortunately doesn't reflect what you will get when you actually play the game.

Well now I'm really glad that I pointed out how ignorant I am at these things :p. Just in case though, what would really be better ? Higher resolution with lower fps, or vice versa?

chuseph14

Neo Member
Well now I'm really glad that I pointed out how ignorant I am at these things :p. Just in case though, what would really be better ? Higher resolution with lower fps, or vice versa?

That's really just personal preference. GAF is full of people that think 30fps is needles in their eyes so I'm sure you're going to get lots of people clamoring for 60fps. If you like eye candy and didn't even know you were running at 30, I'd say stick to 30. There seems to be fewer issues running at that framerate vs unlocked.

Eyothrie

I personally prefer a locked 30 over 60 w/ drops. You're 970 will be able to get a locked 30

Layell

Alright, a few more tweaks and I'm pretty happy with standard HDD performance. Absolutely no stutter that I could see during gameplay (I saw a bit during playback of the video I recorded, but I don't know if I just didn't see it during gameplay or if it was caused by the recording since I'm recording to a 5400rpm storage drive.)
I've got the video uploading but my connection is being shit and saying it'll take 3 hours.

If anyone is interested in testing the tweaks I'm using:
BMSystemSettings.ini: http://pastebin.com/4My2Gra6
BMEngine.ini: http://pastebin.com/WyaHCHZE

Using Nvidia Adaptive Half-Refresh Vsync.

Interesting to note, that no matter what I tried I couldn't ever get the game to a locked 60fps, even after dropping the resolution to 1600x900. It would always dip into the 40s during super fast Batmobile runs, or fast gliding around the city on the HDD, and into the mid to low 50s on the SSD.

Oh, and this was downsampling from 2560x1440.

Weird I'm getting an error when starting the game, saying I'm missing files. Have a 280 with similar specs as the other guy. Guess I'll just keep the standard ini files until this stuff gets fixed for real.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
How would one go about downsampling this game from 4k to a 1080p display? What app do I need to use or whatever?

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Oh derp I only just noticed it just has it in Geforce Experience, thanks guys!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Guys, are there any shots of the game with the post process AA and CA turned off? I'd love to see how the game looks that way, I tried the search function but no dice.

980 GTX Ti. I've used GeDoSaTo before but there's no version of that for AK is there?

Guys, are there any shots of the game with the post process AA and CA turned off? I'd love to see how the game looks that way, I tried the search function but no dice.

AFAIK, there is no way to turn off the CA separately from other PP effects. But an 8K downsample would basically completely eliminate it.

Wandering Ronin

Neo Member
In input mapper, there should be an option to "Hide DS4", at least the option was there in DS4 Windows. AK recognizes the DS4 without the xinput wrapper so it's seeing it both as DS4 and 360 controller.

Oh Wicked. I'll try that when I get home.

But the problem still stands with wired xbox 360 controllers not working either. Even with Input Mapper not being on.

Top Bottom