• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

Wafflestomper

Neo Member
Yeah, same. Incredibly weird. Throwing a bunch of batarangs in sequence makes it incredibly unwieldy.

Yup. Started happening to me at around 45% through the main story. I started a new save file and restarted the story and I get no stutter on that save file. Really strange

Mechazawa

I'm not usually one to rail against CA, but it really is absurd how poor it is in Arkham Knight. It just perpetually makes that game look blurry.

I'm only 29% through the story and 39% I think though the main part, I'll be looking for that issue when I get further.

Anyway, installed my new RAM earlier and at 16GB I unsurprisingly saw zero page file usage.

Sober

As per the other Arkham games, they look ugly as hell without DOF. I normally hate it but it's not something I'd disable here. Film grain is gross and I don't ever notice CA as much as I should.

komorebi

Remove film gran and chromatic aberration but keep everything else. Wish they would allow us to do that.

Yeah, hopefully the new build will allow us to toggle everything individually. Personally I love film grain in games but I definitely want the CA removed. I think its way too heavy in this game.

CUD

Banned
Yeah, same. Incredibly weird. Throwing a bunch of batarangs in sequence makes it incredibly unwieldy.

I'm not getting this batarang lag you speak of. Have you disabled motion blur?

I think disabling the following in BmSystemSettings.ini may help:

Distortion=False
FilteredDistortion=False
DropParticleDistortion=False

Hope that helps.. If not then I don't know.

Wandering Ronin

Neo Member
Xbox 360 wired controller works fine for me,didn't know there was a problem with them tbh.

So its probably just a Windows 10 bug. Though, literally every other game works, just not this one.

There is no ds4 disconnect option in input mapper either that I can find.

I'll just wait it out and play Witcher instead for now :)

dex3108

Corpekata

Banned
A lot of gamers put game devs and publishers on pretty high pedestals so it isn't surprising. Like those that bitched about Jim Sterling for reviewing the PC version because his review besmirched the good name of the masterpiece by not playing the PS4 version. Everyhing devs do is part of their pure and perfect visions and any attention they give we should be grateful for.

CUD

Banned
I am reading topic about compensation for bad Arkham Knight PC port on WB forums and can't believe what i am reading. People think that giving away Season Pass to PC owners is too much. Some of them think that skin packs would be enough.

http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Sup...the-season-pass-for-free-for-this/td-p/576229
Consider yourself lucky that they're even fixing the game
Consider yourself lucky
fixing the game

Sigh
They release a broken game and people actually defend it like this? I just don't understand some people. I'm not someone that has even considered a refund since I got a good deal on the PC version and they have assured us they're working on an update to fix the current issues with the game but for anyone to say something like that... That we should consider ourselves lucky that they're fixing something they released in a broken state, I'm just not sure what this person is thinking.

Älg

They release a broken game and people actually defend it like this? I just don't understand some people. I'm not someone that has even considered a refund since I got a good deal on the PC version and they have assured us they're working on an update to fix the current issues with the game but for anyone to say something like that... That we should consider ourselves lucky that they're fixing something they released in a broken state, I'm just not sure what this person is thinking.

WB doesn't owe it to us to fix the game. They will, because that's probably what's best for them, but they don't have to compensate us in any way, and thinking that they do is just naive.

MoonGred

I honestly don't know what it is with this game. It ran somewhat fine for the first 4hours and all of a sudden it's become completely unplayable.
What was a locked 30fps with some stuttering has turned into 30fps with drops to mid teens and as low as 5 fps in the batmobile. No settings were changed at all.

There's a dumb narrative going around that WB would have never fixed this if it weren't for Steam Refunds. Which conveniently ignores the DLC plans they have for this game, but whatever.

Also, we aren't entitled to anything but patches for this episode. However, if they do give us something, I certainly would not expect it to have a $40 value.

Stockholm syndrome.

CUD

Banned
Älg;170545826 said:
WB doesn't owe it to us to fix the game. They will, because that's probably what's best for them, but they don't have to compensate us in any way, and thinking that they do is just naive.

Well it certainly did not perform how it was advertised to. Considering the broken state it was released in, could it not be said that they owe us what was advertised? Not only by them but also by Nvidia with their promotion of the gameworks features in a 60fps video when the game not only released with a 30fps cap but struggled to meet even 30fps on PCs well beyond the recommended specs, not to mention the various texture streaming issues too.

It's definitely what's best for them and I would say they at least owe us that for the money we spent on it but I certainly don't expect or feel they owe us anymore than that.

There's a dumb narrative going around that WB would have never fixed this if it weren't for Steam Refunds. Which conveniently ignores the DLC plans they have for this game, but whatever.

Also, we aren't entitled to anything but patches for this episode. However, if they do give us something, I certainly would not expect it to have a $40 value.

That's definitely an ignorant narrative. I'm not really a fan of the refund system myself and people's desire to abuse the system or at least encourage their own laziness definitely makes it easier for me to dislike the system. I have over 1000 games on Steam and I have never once thought that I should get a refund on a game because I either properly researched the game before buying it or bought it so cheap that it's not even worth getting a refund. I don't mean to rant on about refunds but I do feel that people are too lazy and just don't bother to properly research games before they buy but of course there's cases like Arkham Knight where the game could hardly be considered playable although even then I don't mind waiting for a patch because I know I want to play the game so I wouldn't have wanted a refund even if I could get one.

And yeah, like I said above to that other user, I don't feel entitled to anymore than what they advertised and I don't expect much if they do decide to give us anything in compensation.

Zakalwe

Banned
Älg;170545826 said:

Thankfully with steam refunds this doesn't really matter.

So you're saying they would've fixed it because they had DLC plans for the game? But Arkham origins had DLC and yet they didn't bother fixing several game breaking bugs. In fact they skipped fixing it and moved straight into making the DLC. So I'd suspect the negative press and refunds have played a massive part.

CUD

Banned
So you're saying they would've fixed it because they had DLC plans for the game? But Arkham origins had DLC and yet they didn't bother fixing several game breaking bugs. In fact they skipped fixing it and moved straight into making the DLC. So I'd suspect the negative press and refunds have played a massive part.
What issues? I played through Arkham Origins without any problems at all.

Braag

This is absurd. Just because the pc port was botched doesn't mean we are entitled to DLC. Consider yourself lucky that they're even fixing the game.

What?
I swear, some people enjoy being fucked by these publishers..

Thankfully with steam refunds this doesn't really matter.

Well yeah, people can obviously get their money back which is great. Sucks for people who wanted to actually play the game though.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Performance really is all over the place. I was doing one of the Riddler races yesterday and I had high 60s and low 10s at random spots. So it's clearly not one section with a lot going on that proves to be difficult, it's just random sections where one lap you're doing 55fps, and the next lap (exact same obstacles because you failed the lap) you're going at 20fps.

Needless to say, handling goes out the window this way.

b0bbyJ03

That's definitely an ignorant narrative. I'm not really a fan of the refund system myself and people's desire to abuse the system or at least encourage their own laziness definitely makes it easier for me to dislike the system. I have over 1000 games on Steam and I have never once thought that I should get a refund on a game because I either properly researched the game before buying it or bought it so cheap that it's not even worth getting a refund. I don't mean to rant on about refunds but I do feel that people are too lazy and just don't bother to properly research games before they buy but of course there's cases like Arkham Knight where the game could hardly be considered playable although even then I don't mind waiting for a patch because I know I want to play the game so I wouldn't have wanted a refund even if I could get one.

And yeah, like I said above to that other user, I don't feel entitled to anymore than what they advertised and I don't expect much if they do decide to give us anything in compensation.

There have been many games in the past that either don't get fully fixed or the developer takes their sweet ass time. As a customer I don't concern myself with people abusing the system, I concern myself with the publishers abusing me. I've bought countless broken games in the last year and this gives me a chance to simply just get my money back if the game doesn't work proper. Also, research won't always tell u the full story. How many people on this thread are saying that their copy of BAK is running just fine? I have a 980 and the game is playable, but it certainly doesn't meet my standards for what a finished product should be, especially after watching the Nvidia promos

Zakalwe

Banned

It's not always about being lazy, sometimes you don't want to research too much about a game to keep it unspoilt when you play.

And as they are monitoring the refund system for abuses there's no worry there.

And while I believe the game would have been fixed regardless of it, refunds definitely had a hand. I doubt they'd have pulled it from sale, games have released in far worse states than this and not been.

We would definitely have seen fixes, but maybe not as fast or (hopefully) extensive.

Crypt

So I decided to edit the ini file finally now that I've gotten 95% of the game complete. Set it at 60fps/1080p. Have a gtx 970, 12 gb of DDR3 ram, and an old ass i7-950 processor.

With gameworks disabled I was hitting a pretty steady 60-ish when gliding and running around on the ground. Sometimes dipped to 50 or 55 when loading new assets. Jump into the batmobile and it drops to 45, with numbers everywhere from 55 down to 27.

Enabling gameworks I couldn't tell the fps, because I can't get the Afterburner overlay to show up when I enable gameworks features. The good thing though is that the game no longer crashes when I use the batmobile with gameworks enabled. Asset streaming is incredibly slow though. I barely ever noticed texture pop-in in the 35 hours of play before this, but with gameworks it's horrible. Everything is constantly popping in. I can get about 30 feet from a blurry wall and it'll take a while to load in the hd version of it.

NeonBlack

I think it's pretty safe to say they definitely wouldn't have suspended sales if not for refunds.

True. They may have fixed it if the refund policy wasn't in place, it would have taken longer for a response and it wouldn't have been suspended but there is a chance they would of. Arkham Origins was fixed i believe but the link right above your post shows how concerned they were to actually do anything.

Vossler

Posting here - Downloaded game upon release, didn't play until last night....Really fun/cool game - have it locked to 30fps @ 1440p downsampling to 1080p - with everything normal/high/rain/lights/smoke/paper physics on -- gtx 980 sli (with one being a physics card) and really didn't have any problems. The game does attempt to use all of your ram, however - Rivatuner was reporting that all 8GB of mine was being used. Anyway, I can see why it is getting the reviews (ps4wise) that it is.

fwpx

Running an i7 4770k, 16gb of ram, GTX780 3gb, Installed on an SSD... high settings with all of the NVIDIA settings turned on, uncapped to 144fps for my 144hz monitor. I definitely see some slowdown initially, and with certain gadgets...but I finished the story and it was ultimately a totally "fine" experience.

That said, there's no excuse for a "fine" experience. It should be amazing.

Origins was a buggy mess to begin with, so it's easy to see why WB Montreal gave up on fixing them all. However, I believe they actually did fix most (if not all) progression blocking bugs, and continued to update the MP component for some time. I played the MP for a bit and recall several updates.
That said, Origins had a single piece of substantial DLC (Mr Freeze) that arrived several months later. Knight apparently has 6 arriving each month after release. Leaving the game in the state it was for 6 months doesn't seem feasible. Especially a game like this.

I think it's pretty safe to say they definitely wouldn't have suspended sales if not for refunds.

I agree, but we're not talking about suspended sales. We're talking about the game receiving patches AT ALL, because people have claimed that the game would never have been patched if not for refunds. That's my point of contention.

CHC

Fanboyism makes people say all kinds of stupid shit.

I feel like crazy shit like that ("you're lucky they're even patching the game") is more than just "fanboyism", it's just some fucked up worldview where everyone is out to get everyone and nothing is forbidden. Wacky neo-liberalist outlook that companies have every right to just screw people over left and right, and that it is their duty to do so and only look out for themselves.

It's just so weird when it seeps into videogame discussion. As if this shitty-ass broken port is some brave symbol of laissez-faire capitalism and free market....

The Hermit

Älg;170545826 said:

Wat

Älg;170545826 said:

In some places it is illegal to misrepresent the product you sell

Älg;170545826 said:

umm excuse me?

Top Bottom