• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

I wonder if they'll advertise the re-release on PC when the time comes. Seeing it pop up as a new release on Steam will give me a good chuckle.
Such a weird situation no matter how they handle it. It honestly feels like they released the beta before, took it down and now we're waiting for them to release the final game.

Perhaps like Rome 2: Total War Emperor Edition

Never heard of it. I take it it was a mess on release and got removed as well?

Such a weird situation no matter how they handle it. It honestly feels like they released the beta before, took it down and now we're waiting for them to release the final game.

It really is. The fact they still have more product to sell with the DLC has to be making it a pretty fucked situation internally.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I think it was just people assuming they're entitled to a compensation due to the launch fiasco. I don't believe they'll offer a free season pass or game just because Ubisoft did that with AssCreed Unity.

They absolutely should be offering PC gamers some form of compensation!

Yes you can. Just tried adding it to my cart right now. Works fine.

Then what's this?:
4bc572e280.jpg

I stand corrected.

I'll be really bummed if they don't bring the DLC to PC because it doesn't run well for some people.

Some people? You mean everyone. The game doesn't run well on any system no matter what anyone says. A game that runs nearly at a locked 30 fps on PS4 should not have any problems getting a locked 60 fps with a 970 or better.

yatesl

There are still game-breaking bugs if you're going for 100%. I was just trying to collect a Riddler trophy since I was next to it in my playthrough last week, and it turned out one of the electric gates that was supposed to deactivate when I broke a terminal didn't and the only way to fix it would be to restart the game.

I did the glitch where you could use the grapple to slingshot you around the roof, and glitch through the wall to get there.

It was amusing that the only to overcome that bug, was use an even bigger bug.

kamspy

Some people? You mean everyone. The game doesn't run well on any system no matter what anyone says. A game that runs nearly at a locked 30 fps on PS4 should not have any problems getting a locked 60 fps with a 970 or better.

Runs fine for me. Maybe a little worse than GTA5, but it feels about the same. 970 is gonna be vRAM starved if people are trying to run it with high settings and gameworks stuff turned on.

3gb is a minimum requirement for vRAM and people wondering why 4gb isn't enough to run the game at a perfect 60 fps puzzles me.

Runs fine for me. Maybe a little worse than GTA5, but it feels about the same. 970 is gonna be vRAM starved if people are trying to run it with high settings and gameworks stuff turned on.

3gb is a minimum requirement for vRAM and people wondering why 4gb isn't enough to run the game at a perfect 60 fps puzzles me.

Not even a Titan X can run this at a perfect 60 fps. I guess 12GB VRAM isn't enough for this game.

kamspy

Not even a Titan X can run this at a perfect 60 fps. I guess 12GB VRAM isn't enough for this game.

This is far from the first game that is just unable to lock 60fps with the hardware available on release. Crysis, GTA4 etc.

The PC crowd seems to be greatly offended by this release since it runs relatively well on consoles.

I think relative console performance needs to be thrown out the windows for the next couple years when evaluating "how well a game should run". Nvidia and AMD have both spoon fed us memory pool upgrades.

If it's not a vram thing, why is my 1055T and OG Titan outperforming 970s and new Intel CPUs in this game? My set-up is trounced in cross-gen games by the same system's I can out perform in Arkham Knight.

This is far from the first game that is just unable to lock 60fps with the hardware available on release. Crysis, GTA4 etc.

The PC crowd seems to be greatly offended by this release since it runs relatively well on consoles.

I think relative console performance needs to be thrown out the windows for the next couple years when evaluating "how well a game should run". Nvidia and AMD have both spoon fed us memory pool upgrades.

If it's not a vram thing, why is my 1055T and OG Titan outperforming 970s and new Intel CPUs in this game? My set-up is trounced in cross-gen games by the same system's I can out perform in Arkham Knight.

First of all this game has memory leaks, so vram talk is kind of moot. Secondly, no matter what settings, the game will run like shit. Thirdly, a 970 is way beyond the PS4. Fourthly, we all know this game is a complete mess. Don't try to say otherwise. Warner didn't remove it from stores just because they felt it was a fun thing to do.

The game just does not use the hardware presented. You can be sitting @ 40% CPU utiolization and 60% GPU utilization with a framerate average @ 40fps or so.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Says right there your account owns some DLC which is why it won't let you purchase it.

He was responding to someone claiming that the Season Pass isn't available to purchase. It was yanked along with the game when WB made the decision to suspend sales of the PC version but was later reinstated for the sake of existing owners who nonetheless wanted it.

kamspy

How are we defining a memory leak? In my experience those things lead to crashing and performance degradation over long game sessions. I've had a few good 2+hr sessions and performance didn't decrease. It's not great. I probably average 45, and in the benchmark my fps low was only 29.

Maybe I have a different outlook because I never expect a perfect 60fps because of my aging CPU and GPU. The 30-45 I'm getting is exactly what I expected before the mass protest.

I love it when a game runs like Alien Isolation, but I don't see the precedent for us to expect it. PC games at large run better than ever. Maybe some people weren't around for or don't remember PC gaming pre xbox 360. People would be begging for mainstream Arkham Knight performance when TES 3 , Crysis and STALKER came out.

bigace33

Runs great for me at nearly 6 hours logged in. Definitely faster than 30 fps too.

shin_velcro

Neo Member
With even the nvidia stuff turned off, at 1440 the game wants 5.5GB of my titan. It then also wants take near 10GB of system ram! That is also on start up, after playing for longer it seemed to think it was at an all you can eat ram buffet. I am sorry the dlc is getting pushed back for the few people that can run the game right now but as they have said it does have issues for such a huge chunk of the owner base how about letting them fix it so we can you know, play the game we bought. =)

scitek

How are we defining a memory leak? In my experience those things lead to crashing and performance degradation over long game sessions. I've had a few good 2+hr sessions and performance didn't decrease. It's not great. I probably average 45, and in the benchmark my fps low was only 29.

Maybe I have a different outlook because I never expect a perfect 60fps because of my aging CPU and GPU. The 30-45 I'm getting is exactly what I expected before the mass protest.

I love it when a game runs like Alien Isolation, but I don't see the precedent for us to expect it. PC games at large run better than ever. Maybe some people weren't around for or don't remember PC gaming pre xbox 360. People would be begging for mainstream Arkham Knight performance when TES 3 , Crysis and STALKER came out.

Runs great for me at nearly 6 hours logged in. Definitely faster than 30 fps too.

I've seen someone say their Titan X gets the same framerate at 4k and 720p. That shouldn't happen.

Uhh ok? What was the point of your reply?

I think he just misunderstood what you were replying to. He knows you can still purchase the season pass.

With even the nvidia stuff turned off, at 1440 the game wants 5.5GB of my titan. It then also wants take near 10GB of system ram! That is also on start up, after playing for longer it seemed to think it was at an all you can eat ram buffet. I am sorry the dlc is getting pushed back for the few people that can run the game right now but as they have said it does have issues for such a huge chunk of the owner base how about letting them fix it so we can you know, play the game we bought. =)

Then they need to remove the season pass from stores too. If it's up for sale, then it needs to be available when that content is available. They can also fix the game.

shin_velcro

Neo Member
I think he just misunderstood what you were replying to. He knows you can still purchase the season pass.

Then they need to remove the season pass from stores too. If it's up for sale, then it needs to be available when that content is available. They can also fix the game.

I agree, if they remove the game it should have had the season pass pulled as well, even more so with the delay. Just makes it feel like they hoped people would forget & the dlc train could have still got going in time.

It is actually quite simple: This game runs at a stable 30 fps on the PS4 with a weak CPU and a 1.84 TFLOPS GPU. I have a 2000 € PC which is several times more powerful than the PS4. I do not just expect 60 fps. I demand 60 fps. There is no valid technical reason why this game shouldn't run at a stable 60 fps on my machine. Every other game does. Yet I get constant drops to 40-50 fps @ 1080p while driving the batmobile. There is only one possible explanation for this: They did a fucking bad job porting this game. And this is unacceptable.

The benchmark is 100% bullshit. The numbers you get there might as well come from a random number generator. They are of no indication of how the actual game is running.

Alien Isolation runs great because it's supposed to run great considering the engine and how it looks.

Crysis and STALKER were PC only games. And they looked pretty damn good back then. Crysis especially was made for future hardware as well. It actually used up the resources you threw at it and it looked amazing at the time. It ran pretty well on my old 8800GT. Obviously not maxed, but that's how that game was. Just because you can't max out a game doesn't mean that it is poorly optimized.

From what I remember of TES3, it actually ran quite well on high end hardware.

This game doesn't run well on any kind of hardware. I can't even get Xbox One performance on my 970. The game is a complete mess and I can't believe you actually try to defend it.

hlhbk

Why shouldn't we expect great ports?

StevieP

Banned
Gemüsepizza;171601445 said:
It is actually quite simple: This game runs at a stable 30 fps on the PS4 with a weak CPU and a 1.84 TFLOPS GPU. I have a 2000 € PC which is several times more powerful than the PS4. I do not just expect 60 fps. I demand 60 fps. There is no valid technical reason why this game shouldn't run at a stable 60 fps on my machine. Every other game does. Yet I get constant drops to 40-50 fps @ 1080p while driving the batmobile. There is only one possible explanation for this: They did a fucking bad job porting this game. And this is unacceptable.

The game isn't a stable 30 on either console.

hlhbk

The benchmark is 100% bullshit. The numbers you get there might as well come from a random number generator. They are of no indication of how the actual game is running.

Alien Isolation runs great because it's supposed to run great considering the engine and how it looks.

Crysis and STALKER were PC only games. And they looked pretty damn good back then. Crysis especially was made for future hardware as well. It actually used up the resources you threw at it and it looked amazing at the time. It ran pretty well on my old 8800GT. Obviously not maxed, but that's how that game was. Just because you can't max out a game doesn't mean that it is poorly optimized.

From what I remember of TES3, it actually ran quite well on high end hardware.

This game doesn't run well on any kind of hardware. I can't even get Xbox One performance on my 970. The game is a complete mess and I can't believe you actually try to defend it.

Uh Alien Isolation looks amazing?

kamspy

Why shouldn't we expect great ports?

Of course we should.

Maybe this situation would have happened to Watch Dogs or AC Unity if Steam Refunds were as easily available when those games released.

Deus EX HR had a terrible hard stutter for most people for a looong time when it came out.

Vuze

Some funny-ish glitches I encountered over the past few hours of playtime, probably not PC-exclusive but I figured I'd post them here anyway:

Parked the Batmobile there randomly before starting the mission lol. Their boss sure picked the most competent guys for the job. I eventually had to jump into the Batmobile to free the road for them
http://webm.host/56c39/vid.webm

Nice invisible wall, thx for free riddler markers
http://webm.host/18c79/vid.webm

I'm pretty sure they'll take their sweet time with robbing the bank, let's hang out for a bit :u)
http://webm.host/e3a30/vid.webm

GrazGamer

Gemüsepizza;171601445 said:

But you can run it at 4k, 4 times the resolution of PS4, at 30fps. Not really any consolation but let's not pretend we can't run it better than the consoles, even in its current state.

But you can run it at 4k, 4 times the resolution of PS4, at 30fps. Not really any consolation but let's not pretend we can't run it better than the consoles, even in its current state.
There are many who CAN'T run it without hitching or texture problems at 1080p at 30fps on 900the series cards.

There are many who CAN'T run it without hitching or texture problems at 1080p at 30fps on 900the series cards.

This. I've got a 980 and I don't have a smooth, jitter-free experience at 1080p/30fps.

I mean, anecdotally, I can run the game at a higher resolution and have basically the same, jittery performance, so I guess that's something the PS4 version can't do. It still doesn't make 4k or 1440p on PC a better experience than 1080p on the PS4, though.

b0bbyJ03

This. I've got a 980 and I don't have a smooth, jitter-free experience at 1080p/30fps.

I mean, anecdotally, I can run the game at a higher resolution and have basically the same, jittery performance, so I guess that's something the PS4 version can't do. It still doesn't make 4k or 1440p on PC a better experience than 1080p on the PS4, though.
Same here. 980 and a 3770k@4.3 and I can't get a steady 30 fps

Sajjaja

Got a 780, running it at 1600x900 and I have stuttering, hitching, freezing, texture issues.

We've beaten this to death already. People, stop being apologists for this game. It has issues, you're lucky if you don't have any. More power to you if you don't have any, but please, don't say that everyone can run it perfectly fine in its current state.

hlhbk

I got:

Intel 4970k

Nvidia GTX 980

8 gb RAM

Ssd

I can't run the game at 1080p at 30 fps without massive stuttering. Quit making excuses.

Finished the game today (I'm old and don't get much time to play). I had 3, yes 3, crashes the entire time I played it. I didn't experience any visual hiccups, no batmobile slow down, and no memory leaks (my keyboard lcd monitors memory all the time). I know I'm the exception, but I did enjoy the game a lot.

i7 4790k
16gb ram
980ti SC
Installed on SSD.

jorimt

Finished the game today (I'm old and don't get much time to play). I had 3, yes 3, crashes the entire time I played it. I didn't experience any visual hiccups, no batmobile slow down, and no memory leaks (my keyboard lcd monitors memory all the time). I know I'm the exception, but I did enjoy the game a lot.

i7 4790k
16gb ram
980ti SC
Installed on SSD.

Your 6GB of VRAM and 16GB of RAM certainly helped.

My specs...

Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Power Supply: CORSAIR CX 600W
CPU: i7-4770k @4.2GHz (HT Enabled)
Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo w/Noctua NF-F12 Fan
GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 770 Windforce 3X OC 4GB
RAM: 16GB G.SKILL Sniper @1866MHz
SSD (OS): 256GB Samsung 850 Pro
HDD (Games): 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black 7200 RPM

I also finished the game today (Knightfall 100%).

Running it off of my SSD with max pre-rendered frames at "1," 1/2 refresh vsync, and high quality 16X AF forced via Nvidia Inspector, and a 30 fps cap via RivaTuner @1080p with all settings maxed, but for AA (forced SMAA via Reshade) and Nvidia effects (only "Enhanced Rain" enabled), I never dropped below 30.

I did not experience any major freezing, hitching, or the constant stutter many others are reporting. In fact, the only issue I experienced was RAM/VRAM usage steadily increasing (RAM at over 8.2GB and VRAM over 4.3GB) the longer I played. This would cause (infrequent but very present) load stutter any time the textures swapped out and my over-budgeted VRAM had to borrow from my system RAM.

Seeing as I have yet to see a report of the game using over 6GB of VRAM, again, I think your 6GB VRAM and 16GB of RAM shielded you from the game's apparent main issue: memory management.

At this point, I'm just waiting for the patch to play new game+ and the eventual DLC.

Only so there's less threads on the official forums asking where the patch is, probably.
Yeah, they put an update there too and it's was about as much info. I mean don't get me wrong, it's good to know they're working on it and stuff. Just would have preferred a delayed launch and a proper game in my hands instead.

No, they don't; content and fixes aren't mutually exclusive.

It depends on how it's integrated so no maybe not in this case but it's entirely possible the people who are involved with porting the content to the PC version are involved with working on the main game and that's clearly their current focus.

GrazGamer

I got:

Intel 4970k

Nvidia GTX 980

8 gb RAM

Ssd

I can't run the game at 1080p at 30 fps without massive stuttering. Quit making excuses.

I can and so can many others who have finished the game. It's not an excuse it's simply fact. It's a poor port but it can be brute forced into a decent experience.

See 2 posts up.

NIN90

I can and so can many others who have finished the game. It's not an excuse it's simply fact. It's a poor port but it can be brute forced into a decent experience.

See 2 posts up.

How does one "brute force" past a massive memory leak, poor VRAM and system RAM usage? Really, please tell me because this stuttering is really pissing me off.

Top Bottom