• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

GrazGamer

How does one "brute force" past a massive memory leak, poor VRAM and system RAM usage? Really, please tell me because this stuttering is really pissing me off.

A 980ti or Titan X seems to do the job.

I'm not saying everyone can run it but I am saying people with high end hardware get a better than console experience, even in its current state.

Vex_

Banned

I'm not saying everyone can run it but I am saying people with high end hardware get a better than console experience, even in its current state.

eVOZtkqh.jpg

luffeN

After how many minutes / hours is the stuttering supposed to happen? I have an i5 2500K @ 4.2 GHz, GTX 970 and 8 GB RAM and there is no stuttering for me. Granted I have only played for about 45 minutes.

Edit: I have to say that I turned off every Nvidia Gameworks effect.

Jtrizzy

lol doing donuts in the Batmobile with everything turned up I can get the frame rate into single digits with one 970 and another 970 dedicated to physX. SLI obviously being broken and all.

Evo X

And yet again someone comes in to defend the game.

I don't think he's defending the game so much as countering the bullshit claim that no pc on earth can play it better than ps4.

I played through the whole game 100% at 4k on my Titan X setup. Would I have wished for better performance at times? Sure.

Would I have rather played the console version at 1080p with framerate drops into the 20s when in the Batmobile? Hell no.

mboojigga

And yet again someone comes in to defend the game.

I don't know how you read this as defending the games issues. He is stating a fact about individuals like myself that are playing the game at 4K @ highest settings and I am almost %100 with 60hrs played & not getting the stuttering or other issues gamers are getting.

I was in the middle of building a new pc and can tell you it is going to be based on build for build. Previous build had an Intel 2600k overclocked to 4.3 with Corsair DDR3 8GB ram @1866hz using the 980Ti card and I was getting dips as low as stuttering no crashes 15fps @4k.

New build with same card, Intel 5930k turbo boosted to 3.8(haven't even overclocked it yet) Corsair DDR4 16GB 2666, Intel 240GB SSD yet at 4k I am averaging 50fps with all settings crashed only because I played for hours non stop and don't experience the stuttering or texture issues.

Naedtrax

Banned
Titan X here, decent frames but a stuttering mess.

Haven't even bothered playing it for more than the time it took to test it.. going to enjoy sitting down for a weekend and playing the pants off it once the issues are fixed tho :)

With framerate uncapped?

My 980ti's fps fluctuates from 60+ all the way down to the 30's when I'm in the Batmobile. It feels terrible.

Anyone that claims this game doesn't stutter and hiccup all over the place when driving the Batmobile on PC must either not be sensitive to to AT ALL or they're capped at 30. And even when capped at 30, it still feels like it stutters occasionally, but at least the fps fluctuates are gone...on a 980ti.

I can't believe people are defending this. The game is broke. Brute force doesn't cure memory leaks and crashing.

Learn how to read, nobody is defending anything.

With framerate uncapped?

My 980ti's fps fluctuates from 60+ all the way down to the 30's when I'm in the Batmobile. It feels terrible.

Anyone that claims this game doesn't stutter and hiccup all over the place when driving the Batmobile on PC must either not be sensitive to to AT ALL or they're capped at 30. And even when capped at 30, it still feels like it stutters occasionally, but at least the fps fluctuates are gone...on a 980ti.

Fps dropping down to 30 isn't the same thing as stuttering, the stuttering drops the fps to 0, that's why it's called a stutter, the game literally stops for a moment before continuing.

Buburibon

Titan X here, and I see what you're saying, but I can't fully agree until the rain effects are fixed on PC. In my opinion the PS4 provides the best experience at this point. Some might say that Nvidia effects make up the difference, but once again I respectfully disagree.

You just gotta love it

Around the time Batman came out, I seen all sorts of posts here on GAF, Reddit, and many other forums talking about how broken it is. I decided to give GTA Online a break and finally put some time into the single player while waiting for Batman and was having a blast. A few days ago Rockstar released some update/patch for their new DLC and it ruined the performance across the board.

Single player, online, you name it and that thing you name likely now has a lot of performance issues. Driving causes stuttering and frame rate drops, shooting people on the streets will results in the same, and DON'T EVEN TRY to fire the minigun lol OMG you'll be angered and die laughing at the same time. Good thing my backlog on Steam is huge. I'll have tons to play while Rocksteady and Rockstar fix their fucking games.

GrazGamer

With framerate uncapped?

Uncap to 60, set half refresh rate sync in NCP, no stutter and I AM very sensitive to stutter. It is 30 fps but a bloody locked 30.

PS4 is hardly butter smooth locked at 30 either.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The on foot action runs at 60+ for me. I just wish I could lock it at 30 for the Batmobile. I hate 30fps but it drops way below that when the framerate is unlocked. I don't think you can map a macro to a keyboard key without the console.

ciddative

Uncap to 60, set half refresh rate sync in NCP, no stutter and I AM very sensitive to stutter. It is 30 fps but a bloody locked 30.

PS4 is hardly butter smooth locked at 30 either.

The PS4 version is a very solid 30 fps; the only occasional drops I noticed were when entering/exiting the batmobile and large amounts physx destruction, neither of which really affected gameplay. I also own the PC version with SLI Titans and 100% the PS4 version without any real thought to performance issues

mboojigga

With framerate uncapped?

I am at 4K @ 60FPS full settings on one 980Ti No stutter or hiccups. As stated before the stutter comes from the FPS dropping to 0.

Here is mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y4Rq8b7x1c

mboojigga

Your video clearly shows the FPS taking a hit when getting inside the Batmobile. Also, tearing fest.

That would be my iphone 6 not the game tearing. Look at my past post I never said it was solid 60fps I average 50fps and it dips doesn't mean it is stuttering or unplayable as many like to claim for everyone that is playing on PC.

That would be my iphone 6 not the game tearing. Look at my past post I never said it was solid 60fps I average 50fps and it dips doesn't mean it is stuttering or unplayable as many like to claim for everyone that is playing on PC.

Uh what? Fps drops = stuttering. Do you actually know what "locked 60 fps" means? And how it feels?

What are you talking about? For this game specifically or in general?

Obviously he's talking about this game. And he is right.

Your footage shows massive stuttering and instability, and also ignores the memory leak that takes hold after a period of time.

This port is shit, wish people would stop trying to defend it like they were on the dev team.

Eyothrie

Every time your fps counter drops below 60 I see screen tear and stuttering. More power to you, but some people like myself are more sensitive to it.

mboojigga

Gemüsepizza;171706532 said:
Uh what? Fps drops = stuttering. Do you actually know what "locked 60 fps" means? And how it feels?

Obviously he's talking about this game. And he is right.

FPS dropping doesn't equal stuttering. FPS dropping to 0 is what stuttering is do you not know the difference?

Qassim

FPS dropping doesn't equal stuttering. FPS dropping to 0 is what stuttering is do you not know the difference?

FPS drops doesn't automatically equal stuttering no, but it's also not true that for a game to stutter it needs to drop to 0. It can be severe and sudden drops (not necessarily to 0) that can cause a stutter image, or just huge spikes in frametimes for a few frames here and there - those can introduce quite annoying stuttering yet because fps is an average, you won't necessarily notice it in the FPS count.

As for the tearing, yeah, it's there and quite obvious - if it were your phone it'd tear the entire image and not just the image on your TV :p

Buburibon

There's a very obvious pause/stutter at around 55 seconds in your video. Wouldn't you call that a stutter? I can't help but to perceive it as a "brief pause" a.k.a. stutter.

You can have framerate fluctuations without stuttering.

Yeah sure.

Playing for 5 minutes with 60 fps, then the framerate goes down to 30 fps for 5 mins = It does not "stutter". But this has not happened for me in this game.

Driving the Batmobile and having framerate drops from 60 fps to 35-45 fps every few seconds = stuttering.

Kinthalis

Banned
Gemüsepizza;171707366 said:
What? When the framerate suddenly drops, it stutters. How hard is that to understand?

Nonsense. If you have constant 60 fps, and then suddenly it drops to 45 and then gets back to 60 fps, you have stuttering.

Not necessarily. You can have frame rate drops from 60 to 50 and not perceive any stuttering. The frame rate drop usually has to be larger than that OR there must be some serious frame time spike usually with some type of stalling in the rendering loop. In this case, the stutters appear to be happening as a result of the engine stalling while attempting to stream in assets.

Zakalwe

Banned
Gemüsepizza;171709076 said:
Yeah sure.

Playing for 5 minutes with 60 fps, then the framerate goes down to 30 fps for 5 mins = It does not "stutter". But this has not happened for me in this game.

Driving the Batmobile and having framerate drops from 60 fps to 35-45 fps every few seconds = stuttering.

I'm not going to argue against such sound logic.

Kinthalis

Banned
FPS drops from 60fps to my eyes is effectively the same unwanted thing

It's not the same thing though. There is a distinct lack of responsiveness associated with stutter, that is not necessarily going to be present in frame rate drops, so long as they aren't too pronounced or are happening every other second.

Zakalwe

Banned
It's not the same thing though. There is a distinct lack of responsiveness associated with stutter, that is not necessarily going to be present in frame rate drops, so long as they aren't too pronounced or are happening every other second.

Someone gets it.

Eyothrie

We can argue semantics all day. The drops are not wanted. I conveniently call it stuttering. I may be wrong. But my point is that it's jarring to my eyes and should not be happening on current hardware

Kinthalis

Banned
We can argue semantics all day. The drops are not wanted. I conveniently call it stuttering. I may be wrong. But my point is that it's jarring to my eyes and should not be happening on current hardware

Well, when discussing the subject it's useful if we're all using the same terms, otherwise, what's the point of communicating at all?

mboojigga

There's a very obvious pause/stutter at around 55 seconds in your video. Wouldn't you call that a stutter? I can't help but to perceive it as a "brief pause" a.k.a. stutter.

Actually that is the camera repositioning not stuttering. Look at the counter in the top left at the same time stamp.

Eyothrie

Well, when discussing the subject it's useful if we're all using the same terms, otherwise, what's the point of communicating at all?

Stuttering affects responsiveness, and in my opinion drops affect immersion. They're two things that pull my focus away from the game. That video above that I originally commented about had and instance of stutter at :55 and several drops throughout the entire video. They're both undesirable to me, so I lump them in together since they're both related to framerate

Are we still talking about Batman: Arkham Knight here? Because the framerate drops in this game feel stuttery to me. There might be some cases in other games where this might not be the case, but why does this matter here?

Gemüsepizza;171712424 said:
Are we still talking about Batman: Arkham Knight here? Because the framerate drops in this game feel stuttery to me. There might be some cases in other games where this might not be the case, but why does this matter here?

The game has instances of both, so I hardly see why the semantics police are getting involved.

Top Bottom