• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

Got damn I said, that's a long wait, I hope that means it will be a solid game now that they're taking their time, but it also could mean it was such a mess that they are scrambling to get it done.

I would love to be a fly on the wall at Rocksteady when all this was happening.

Mechazawa

I went from being afraid they'd put out a couple of minor performance improvements and calling it a day to seeing them straight up rebuilding the game.

Can't say I didn't get what I wanted I guess.

c0Zm1c

It's not that it needs that long to be fixed. It's that once its fixed, they're going to need to strategize a new release window.

You don't honestly think they'll just re-release the game as soon as it's fixed do you? They have to factor in market competition, avoid cannibalizing sales from one of their own games, season trends, etc. Just like they would with any new release.

This is business, son. WB gives no fucks about how you feel (especially if they already have your money). Otherwise they wouldn't have released it in this state to begin with.

I'm pretty sure part of it is also waiting until they're finished making the DLC, so they'll have some free hands on deck to finally get around to fixing the PC verison.

Given the period they've chosen to re-release the game (if the article is accurate) it doesn't seem like they've done much factoring of market competition at all to me. On top of the inescapable bad press the pre-release hype is gone so to release it alongside other games which have a more positive buzz seems like they're sending the game out to die. They should really pick a quieter period, if they are at all worried about competition.

Maximo

Hahahahaahahahaahah..haha..ha "crawls in ball crying" All I wanted to do was play Batman, bet you they re release it at full price with a nice big "buy all the dlc with the game" button.

GHG

Gold Member
The game isn't even that good.

Seen as GMG failed to refund me as i requested I've played 5 hours at 30fps maxed out (with smoke etc) downsampling from 3k to 1080p with the 30fps lock since the last patch which improved the visuals and fixed AO/rain.

I'm not experiencing any stutter or any framerate issues with those settings on my rig but my god the game is dull. Mindless combat and the batmobille is just so poorly implemented IMO. It's just not much fun and I have very little desire to keep playing.

I deeply regret buying and preordering this game at all, never mind the fact that it has issues on the PC.

b0bbyJ03

If this is true then fuck those motherfuckers. I've been waiting for news pretty much daily to now hear this bullshit. I feel like they literally robbed me and there is nothing I can do about it, and even worse, I know it won't affect them at all. It's not like people are gonna unite and boycott them. Gamers have the worst collective will possible. We're all like crack junkies

the strange thing is this statement from WB

Addressing the PC performance issues is still our top priority and at this time, we believe we have identified a number of fixes for the larger issues that were affecting PC players at launch. These fixes are currently being implemented into the game and once we have been able to do some initial testing, we’ll have a better idea on the status of our progress. We’ll provide an update on how things are developing next week.

that doesnt sound like September to me...

robgrab

Personally I don't mind the wait if they're truly reworking it from scratch since I doubt a simple patch is going to magically fix everybody's issues. They should have pulled a Rockstar and just postponed the PC version until it was properly finished. As much as people griped about having to wait for GTAV I think most people would agree the final product was worth it. Better late than broken. If they are going to delay AK until Fall then I hope they at least add DX12 support so people with lower end specs can get better performance. I'm also expecting some sort of reparations for this debacle by the time all is said and done. On the bright side publishers will be more cautious about releasing broken, high profile, games now that Steam refunds are a reality. Also this cured me of my preorder affliction so I'm thankful for that.

Buburibon

The game isn't even that good.

Seen as GMG failed to refund me as i requested I've played 5 hours at 30fps maxed out (with smoke etc) downsampling from 3k to 1080p with the 30fps lock since the last patch which improved the visuals and fixed AO/rain.

I'm not experiencing any stutter or any framerate issues with those settings on my rig but my god the game is dull. Mindless combat and the batmobille is just so poorly implemented IMO. It's just not much fun and I have very little desire to keep playing.

I deeply regret buying and preordering this game at all, never mind the fact that it has issues on the PC.

I'd (reluctantly) settle for the 30fps lock/max settings at 1620p at this point, however if I'm not mistaken, the AO was indeed fixed but the rain wasn't. Not completely anyway.

UnrealEck

I'm probably just going to play it as it is then. The framerate only drops into the 30s and 40s for me in the Batmobile.
Never buying another game with WB's logo on it again though.

DOG3NZAKA

Banned
...And my friends called me a fool for not upgrading my PC just for this game. I would have thrown someone through a wall if I had. Warner Bros. can get fucked. They really should have just delayed the game, but if course, their bottom line is more important than releasing a product that works as advertised.

Aesthet1c

Is there any way to force Playstation button icons?

If I load up Batman with my Dualshock 4 plugged in, it recognizes it and shows PS icons, but the controller doesn't work.

If I quit and then start up my DS4 Windows, then launch the game, now the controller works but I get Xbox button prompts. I'm fine playing like that, but I'd prefer the PS icons if I can get them.

Sajjaja

If I load up Batman with my Dualshock 4 plugged in, it recognizes it and shows PS icons, but the controller doesn't work.

If I quit and then start up my DS4 Windows, then launch the game, now the controller works but I get Xbox button prompts. I'm fine playing like that, but I'd prefer the PS icons if I can get them.

My DS4 worked fine even without DS4Windows.

robotrock

Banned

Yeah, don't run DS4 Windows at all. Game natively supports a Dualshock 4.

I need some advice on a situation I have. About a month and a half ago I bought the GTX 960 MSI Gaming edition 2G, and given that they had bundle it with Arkham Knight, a game I was eager to play, it seemed like the perfect time. Since I was short on money I just went for the 2G edition, thinking that 4Gb of ram was unneccesary and not worth the 35 dollars difference (that's the difference between the two versions here in Chile). Sadly for me, after Arkham Knight release, the textures option clearly states that a 3Gb or higher graphic's card is needed in order to play at normal, otherwise I just have to do with low textures. This bothers me a lot since I can play other demanding games like Crysis 3 or Assassin's Creed IV and Unity on high-ultra settings.

The thing is, I can't ask for a refund and then buy a 4G, I would have to sell it myself and only then buy the new one, so my question is, do you think it's worth it?

My complete PC specs are:

-Intel Core i5-3570k
-6 GB RAM
-1TB HDD
-GTX 960 Gaming edition 2G

No one? Please

kamspy

I need some advice on a situation I have. About a month and a half ago I bought the GTX 960 MSI Gaming edition 2G, and given that they had bundle it with Arkham Knight, a game I was eager to play, it seemed like the perfect time. Since I was short on money I just went for the 2G edition, thinking that 4Gb of ram was unneccesary and not worth the 35 dollars difference (that's the difference between the two versions here in Chile). Sadly for me, after Arkham Knight release, the textures option clearly states that a 3Gb or higher graphic's card is needed in order to play at normal, otherwise I just have to do with low textures. This bothers me a lot since I can play other demanding games like Crysis 3 or Assassin's Creed IV and Unity on high-ultra settings.

The thing is, I can't ask for a refund and then buy a 4G, I would have to sell it myself and only then buy the new one, so my question is, do you think it's worth it?

My complete PC specs are:

-Intel Core i5-3570k
-6 GB RAM
-1TB HDD
-GTX 960 Gaming edition 2G

I think you'll be running sub console textures on most new games by the end of the year. Get the most money out of it while you can and get the 4gb.

UnrealEck

No one? Please

If games are using memory efficiently, 2GB should be fine for most games.
Games like Batman AK use memory very very inefficiently, so don't put much value in that as means of determining how well 2GB will last you.

If you want a new card don't buy another 960, just play games at around console settings and performance and save your money until you can get something much better. By christmast you'll probably see the 980 Ti being affordable to you.

Vuze

Did somebody else experience more frequent crashes near the end? I'm at 85% now and can barely play for 30mins without a crash. Sucks

never had a crash ones during the game thank god. Ran pretty ok/good so i could finish the game and put like 15 hours into this. I read some graphics cards have more problems running this game than others. A R9 280 ran it quit good and a better 285 or 290 had huge problems which is very strange.

Game is such a clusterfuck. It's using over 10GB of main memory and 6GB of graphics memory.

I've read this many times now, can somebody explain to me how this even works?

People are looking at third party apps that show the memory usage and it is exceeding whats physically available?

Is it normal for most games to never exceed this limit (If you have 2, it always stays under it, likewise with 12) so this is the best indication that something is horribly wrong?

Corpekata

Banned
Destroying copies is not unusual. It is done when a retailer is getting some sort of credit or refund for a product but it is not worth it for the distributor to take the item back and then resell it afterward. It is ordered destroyed so that the retailer (or employees of the retailer) does not attempt to profit off something they've already been credited for. It's fairly common in retail.

What do you mean exceed what's physically available?

The Vram on your graphics card, if the game assigns too much data to it, is it a common thing for games to just then also use standard (slower) ram for data that was originally intended to be used for fast ram only?

Is this a common procedure or is this always an error (memory leak or bad programming)?

I'm not a programmer so I don't know that, but from a logical perspective it doesn't sound like a good ideo to build the game in such a way that it will ever go beyond the limit on any given machine out there?

That's not something the game decides, the programmers can code in a lowest limit of dedicated vram required, but the gpu/drivers decides to stream data over the pci-e bus to the system ram (and ofcourse if there isn't enough ram this streaming goes to the HDD page file) if it runs out of vram.

The Vram on your graphics card, if the game assigns too much data to it, is it a common thing for games to just then also use standard (slower) ram for data that was originally intended to be used for fast ram only?

Is this a common procedure or is this always an error (memory leak or bad programming)?

I'm not a programmer so I don't know that, but from a logical perspective it doesn't sound like a good ideo to build the game in such a way that it will ever go beyond the limit on any given machine out there?

When the vram needs exceed the physical vram it happens. The only other option would be to simply crash. It also devastates performance, so you adjust your settings to insure it doesn't happen. If there is a memory leak and the game isn't releasing resources properly, there isn't anything you can really do about it.

I've read this many times now, can somebody explain to me how this even works?

People are looking at third party apps that show the memory usage and it is exceeding whats physically available?

Is it normal for most games to never exceed this limit (If you have 2, it always stays under it, likewise with 12) so this is the best indication that something is horribly wrong?

All you need to do is watch Windows Task Manager or Resource Monitor and if you want check your system properties to observe virtual memory usage. GPU data spilling into the system RAM can happen but there's no good reason this game should be using as much memory as it is at current gen console quality when they have an absolute max of 5GB available and the PC version is using two to three times, if not more than that. The game also shouldn't turn into a stuttering mess like it does for many but again I think a large part of that is because of the very poor memory management causing the game to hit peoples' page files hard, which if they don't have or have it set to be large enough, will cause the game to crash.

The "recommended" RAM amount for Ultra settings is the same for normal, 8GB but in both instances it requires much more than that because it straight up wants 8GB of system RAM, which at least I haven't experienced before. Usually and why many can skirt the requirements some is that they're compensating for, at the very least, standard processes that would be running and taking up RAM by the OS.

Top Bottom