• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

Salsa

Tell me your findings, please. I am on an overclocked 2500K @ 4.5GHz, GTX 680 2GB, 16GB RAM, and SSD.

I have the exact same rig except cpu at 4.3ghz and 8gigs of ram

will post when its done

edit: keep in mind im installing on a 5400rpm hard drive tho :/ The Witcher 3 and MGSV are filling up my SSD

that might affect things, sure did before the patch

Red Hood

Banned
I'm afraid this patch will ironically fuck up my performances, because (besides the first two terrible hours) my experiences luckily weren't as disastrous as most of you. I played it for about 30 hours mostly ~60fps on Normal with the acceptable drops to 30 when gliding. I have an i5 4670K at 4GHz, Sapphire 280X 3GB and 8GB 1600MHz memory.

Time will tell. I'll download it later tonight.

Kezen

Banned
The patch fixed absolutely all my performance issues and I'm running even higher settings than before (two Gameworks stuff on).

Textures don't seem improved at all, as expected.

Still a few drops though but those seem hardware related so I've got no issues with that.

I7 4770K
GTX 980
Nvidia 355.82 drivers.

iNvid02

i'll wait for some more impressions from you guys, don't wanna start and stop this thing again. i left batman standing on that tower after the intro and by god he'll stay there until wb gets their shit together

scitek

At least read the other posts complaining about the exact.same.thing. before bitching me out. Jesus Christ, schmuck.

I'll replay the game when they fix it.

Plenty of games use all available VRAM and run fine. It's not a good barometer to go by.

Well, well, well. I just drove around with the batmobile for five minutes straight, ejecting out and back in, trying to cover as much ground as possible. That's what would really bring the stutters before.

While there were frame rate drops from time to time, and one big stutter, it was mostly totally smooth. No degradation in performance the longer I drove or the more ground I covered. The occasional frame rate drops did not cause stuttering, and the game recovered completely after the one time it did stutter. I was really pushing hard, though, the way I was moving - trying to cause problems.

This is on a GTX 970, everything maxed, except paper and smoke.

Kezen

Banned
60fps in this game feels soooooo goooood.

The combat benefits hugely from it.

EDIT : Downloading a new 428mb update.

Layell

oh an opt in beta patch, no wonder I hadn't seen it yet.

well we wouldn't want to download something broken now would we?

jacobeid

Banned
Plenty of games use all available VRAM and run fine. It's not a good barometer to go by.

I don't disagree with you but look at those settings. The game is still broken.

Max 30fps? No nvidia gameworks enabled? "High" textures (which weren't altered at all if this thread is anything to go by)?

Almost 4gigs of VRAM for that? Game is broken and there's nothing to defend.

Kezen

Banned

Max 30fps? No nvidia gameworks enabled? "High" textures (which weren't altered at all if this thread is anything to go by)?

I would not say it's broken on my system. Looks great and runs extremely well now.

The game caches assets in the VRAM and that's the way it should be.

scitek

I wasn't defending anything, just saying try it for yourself, but whatever.

Shari

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Beta patch dissapeared. SO GOOD WB.

Im fucking in love with these guys. I dont know who put the beta public on steam but someone's gotta hide lol.

Oh bats.

jacobeid

Banned
I would not say it's broken on my system. Looks great and runs extremely well now.

The game caches assets in the VRAM and that's the way it should be.

You're using a 980....the game SHOULD look great and run well. It shouldn't take a 980 to get that type of performance though. It may not be as broken as it was; maybe now it's just a shit port.

I wasn't defending anything, just saying try it for yourself, but whatever.

I already played the game and I'm waiting for them to completely fix it before I give it another go on PC (I ended up playing on PS4). Texture quality is enough for me to not touch this.

Momentary

Banned
Well at least Mad Max performs outstanding. I'll probably redownload this game sometime next year. What a waste of money. At least I got it at that Brazilian discount.

Shari

it was a somewhat promising taste of what's to come so there's that

Sweet sweet broken game patch demo.

wait, im confused. There was a patch put up that didnt fix anything and now they took it down?

The patch was good, it game me a nice boost in fps and was waaaay better during batmobile. They just didnt mean to put this beta public and someone screwed up, they read, they set private, we rolled back.

Thanks.

viveks86

My wife tells me performance is much improved, with hardly any drops at all from 60fps at 1440p (without Nvidia's debris, paper and smoke). That's on foot, gliding or driving the Batmobile. However, the rain effects are still bugged as in they're only fully displayed when you start a new game. Loading from a save lessens/weakens the effects, so that hasn't changed.

Titan X, 5820K, 32GB, Win 10 64bit.

Noooooooooooo

etta

my hard graphic balls
I already played the game and I'm waiting for them to completely fix it before I give it another go on PC (I ended up playing on PS4). Texture quality is enough for me to not touch this.

To be fair, Normal textures aka. PS4 textures are very nice. I finished the game twice, once on PS4 and once on XBO, and 99% of the time, textures were very nice. There were very few spots with somewhat disappointing textures. Either way, games on PC should not require as much VRAM as the console counterparts, given that games on PC have been using RAM to stream textures from HDD -> RAM -> VRAM for a while now. I think it's poor development if you make zero use of that RAM, especially given how the Xbox One uses the same DDR3 RAM architecture as gaming PC's.

Regginator

wait, im confused. There was a patch put up that didnt fix anything and now they took it down?

There was a patch and the second patch patched away the first patch.

royalty-free-stock-photos-man-bandage-false-eyes-mouth-8241128.jpg

Mivey

Thankfully they'll at least be communicating with us over the next few days as they promised more communication in two weeks.
The same way the promised a patch in August? So we will hear somethin from them in early October?

At this point I'm guessing it's like two people at Rocksteady working at this in their spare time. No company could afford delaying something like this for months for a larger team, which funny enough might be the reason it is taking them so long to begin with.

Kezen

Banned
You're using a 980....the game SHOULD look great and run well.
But there are games which don't run all that well on my system, for perfectly valid technical reasons (when I push settings way too high). I was pretty impressed with the beta patch, the game looks superb and ran flawlessly. I was not expecting to almost max out such a monster at 60fps even on a 980.

Demanding /=/ unoptimized.

I don't think textures will look better, it would require Rocksteady to have authored assets at higher quality than consoles which seems unlikely.
Console textures are the best we'll get, they're not perfect but that's fine.

jacobeid

Banned
To be fair, Normal textures aka. PS4 textures are very nice. I finished the game twice, once on PS4 and once on XBO, and 99% of the time, textures were very nice. There were very few spots with somewhat disappointing textures. Either way, games on PC should not require as much VRAM as the console counterparts, given that games on PC have been using RAM to stream textures from HDD -> RAM -> VRAM for a while now. I think it's poor development if you make zero use of that RAM, especially given how the Xbox One uses the same DDR3 RAM architecture as gaming PC's.

Textures looked absolutely fantastic on PS4, but they looked like shit on PC. Even using "normal" textures the game often takes around a minute to load the textures completely. I see this most commonly when Batman rips off a control panel or the like. They're so bad that they took me out the game completely.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. That never once happened on PS4, and until its fixed they couldn't pay me to boot the game back up on PC.

JbCKNwM.png

I don't think textures will look better, it would require Rocksteady to have authored assets at higher quality than consoles which seems unlikely.
Console textures are the best we'll get, they're not perfect but that's fine.

I'm more than ok with receiving the level of textures seen on the PS4/XB1 versions. Also, I understand that demanding =/= unoptimized, but how can anyone defend this game as anything OTHER than unoptimized? Look at what they were able to do on PS4 and the difference in specs between that and your PC in comparison to your performance gains. There shouldn't be any reason to require specs like that, especially when you're not adding in the extra gameworks effects....

etta

my hard graphic balls
Textures looked absolutely fantastic on PS4, but they looked like shit on PC. Even using "normal" textures the game often takes around a minute to load the textures completely. I see this most commonly when Batman rips off a control panel or the like. They're so bad that they took me out the game completely.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. That never once happened on PS4, and until its fixed they couldn't pay me to boot the game back up on PC.

JbCKNwM.png

Well yea, that's a loading/streaming issue. If they fix the streaming issues, and get Normal textures to run at 2GB VRAM, I'll be a happy camper.

Well, that was short-lived. But clearly they have managed significant improvement. There's no doubt about it. In the past, my performance would start out ok and quickly degenerate into a stuttering mess. That wasn't happening anymore.

The game still doesn't seem to "like" 60fps though. I noticed a few issues with the controls and physics that aren't there with 30fps. Maybe that's why they removed the patch?

Braag

Lol I started downloading the game in hopes to see if the patch does anything on my system.

WB is trolling us hard.

scitek

Hope you're not playing MGS5 then!

EDIT: You're talking about the streaming issue, not the textures themselves.

Salsa

well, that just confirms the beta patch was released early by mistake.

hopefully this means we'll get it proper this week

but seriously tho how can they be this messy

etta

my hard graphic balls
No beta option here.

Really, it's using 3.6GB of memory at 1080p? What the hell did they optimize, exactly? Seems like this port is still garbage. This was a waste of twenty unrefundable bucks.
Patch wasn't ready, it was still in beta.

jett

D-Member
Patch wasn't ready, it was still in beta.

It has literally been over two months. Do you expect a miracle breakthrough in the next few days? I expect the shitshow to remain. "Oh look we added the option to disable our garbage tasteless use of grain filtering and chromatic aberration, that's good enough right?"

jacobeid

Banned
Well yea, that's a loading/streaming issue. If they fix the streaming issues, and get Normal textures to run at 2GB VRAM, I'll be a happy camper.

I didn't realize that this was a streaming issue, not an issue with the textures themselves. My mistake.

Regardless, that's what I'm talking about that makes me not want to touch the game with a 10-foot pole until it is fixed. I really don't care about the gameworks effects or anything above and beyond what Rocksteady did on consoles, but fix the apparent texture streaming issue, the rain effects, and let me hover around 60fps@1080p on my 970 and I'll be happy.

Top Bottom