• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

Kezen

Banned
No beta option here.

Really, it's using 3.6GB of memory at 1080p? What the hell did they optimize, exactly? Seems like this port is still garbage. This was a waste of twenty unrefundable bucks.

Modern game use as much VRAM as you have to store data. It's actually a very good thing.

@jacobeid : I'm not defending AK on PC, I'm merely stating that the performance with the beta patch was excellent and in line with the hardware I had.

We can only wait now.

Patch wasn't ready, it was still in beta.

So:

BhyvxPZ.gif

etta

my hard graphic balls
Modern game use as much VRAM as you have to store data. It's actually a very good thing.

Well, it does say right there that Normal textures has a recommended of 4GB VRAM. If it said 2GB recommended and then it still used all your VRAM, then your point would be valid.

A beta patch of a beta game. It's almost something, dawg. It's a beta something.

ClearData

I saw that this thread got bumped and jumped in hoping for good news. Thank goodness Mad Max and MGSV will keep me occupied for a long while. What a mess WB.You did a hack job and now it's more work fixing it than doing it right the first time.

Well, it does say right there that Normal textures has a recommended of 4GB VRAM. If it said 2GB recommended and then it still used all your VRAM, then your point would be valid.

A beta patch of a beta game. It's almost something, dawg. It's a beta something.

So the patch didn't really make it that much.....betta? Heyooooooooo!!!!!

Kezen

Banned

No.

Normal textures = 3gb of VRAM
Normal textures with higher mipmap = 4gb of VRAM.

Not the same thing. I don't see anything outrageous.

ST3K3LLY

Banned
Tried the patch and it ran perfect with everything turn on at 60 FPS with 970. The ram usage said all 4gig was being used so would probably turn something down as to not use the slower stuff if that's how the final patch will be.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Did they accidentally release the wrong patch? SteamDB had a build that was named RC1. Release Candidates are not betas.

Parsnip

Did they accidentally release the wrong patch? SteamDB had a build that was named RC1. Release Candidates are not betas.

They cloned the patch2rc3 branch but forgot to set the clone behind a password, so it was possible to opt in. They didn't release anything, people just snooped at steamdb and opted in. Now the clone branch is deleted and everyone's reverted back to way it was before.

etta

my hard graphic balls
No.

Normal textures = 3gb of VRAM
Normal textures with higher mipmap = 4gb of VRAM.

Not the same thing. I don't see anything outrageous.
Oh, my bad. I thought that screenshot had textures set to Normal, and not High. So they did add a new texture level, High, but it's just Normal + increased mipmap, not actually higher resolution textures.

scitek

Oh, my bad. I thought that screenshot had textures set to Normal, and not High. So they did add a new texture level, High, but it's just Normal + increased mipmap, not actually higher resolution textures.

I wouldn't expect higher resolution textures. They really just need to fix the pop-in issue.

Kezen

Banned

Well they aren't exactly higher resolution, they just show more details.

But it costs VRAM still.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Uh. Users are reporting that the patch is not available anymore. At least, I can confirm that I'm not seeing it for download (I restarted the Steam client, no dice).

Scum

Uh. Users are reporting that the patch is not available anymore. At least, I can confirm that I'm not seeing it for download (I restarted the Steam client, no dice).

I think it was made available via Beta by accident, so it's been removed.

Kezen

Banned
What I can say is that this beta patch improved performance tremendously on my system. A nice taste of what's to come.

The game looks much nicer without film grain and CA in my opinion, the "clean" look fits the game better.

And the saga continues.

I'm not even mad, though. I have Mad Max and MGS5, games that run great, to play. This game is like a circus freak sideshow to me, now.

Sectus

Because those are console textures and a PC has two memory pools, not one like consoles. I got 2GB VRAM and 16GB RAM, and 8GB RAM is usually the standard for gaming PC's these days. They should most certainly make use of it for textures.

Graphics cards can't access system ram directly. You'd have to swap data in and that's extremely slow compared to using vram. With console architecture, the ram is shared and equally fast to access by both cpu and gpu. Not trying to defend the port, but the solution isn't as simple as throwing all texture data data into system ram and having gpu use that.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Graphics cards can't access system ram directly. You'd have to swap data in and that's extremely slow compared to using vram. With console architecture, the ram is shared and equally fast to access by both cpu and gpu. Not trying to defend the port, but the solution isn't as simple as throwing all texture data data into system ram and having gpu use that.
No, I know what you mean, but I am saying to use the RAM as an alternative for HDD, since RAM will feed faster than an HDD. Of course there will still be that transition time, but games have been doing this for a while, no? Unless I am terribly mistaken, and games have only been using HDD -> VRAM only.

Sectus

No, I know what you mean, but I am saying to use the RAM as an alternative for HDD, since RAM will feed faster than an HDD. Of course there will still be that transition time, but games have been doing this for a while, no? Unless I am terribly mistaken, and games have only been using HDD -> VRAM only.

I would definitely assume they cache stuff in system ram, but it's hard to say with certainty.

ktroopa

Plz bump this thread when the beta patch is out of beta. I hope to play this game by xmas. Probably by which time il no longer care!

etta

my hard graphic balls
I would definitely assume they cache stuff in system ram, but it's hard to say with certainty.
Yea, that's what I remember Witcher 3 devs saying, that's how they got it down to 2GB requirements for the open world and its many, pretty good textures.
Either way, I really hope they get Normal textures down to 2GB instead of 3GB in this.

Well at least we know the patch isn't hot garbage now. Hopefully it comes out asap although I'll wait longer anyway since Brit Forces for CoH2 and MGS just came out. Then I can go back and 100% Batman when the DLC is out.

Ruff

Sad that the patch got taken away like that.. Lucky I'm one of the people who don't seem to have an FPS problem. Running everything maxed on a SSD drive i5 4660 and r9 280 rig gets between 50-60fps when unlocked and smooth 30 fps when locked. Seems weird as that's pretty middle of the line hardware while my friend can barely play once they need to use the batmobile.

People seem to be really mad that WB is fixing their game.

You guys do know this was an opt-in beta patch that was accidentally made available to the public and not an official one that they rescinded, right? This is not Tribes 2 territory.

Naedtrax

Banned
I think it's more because it shouldn't have launched the way it did, OR atleast had a patch in the works instead of trying to sugar coat a turd.

People seem to be really mad that WB is fixing their game.

You guys do know this was an opt-in beta patch that was accidentally made available to the public and not an official one that they rescinded, right? This is not Tribes 2 territory.

No, it's because they haven't fixed it YET, and there are people that can't get this thing running right 2 months after release.

The accidental beta patch release is merely a hiccup in a string of other mishaps. The PROBLEM is, that a big patch addressing major issues was promised in August, and they've missed the whole month entirely.

Your post is practically trolling, because it's intentionally disregarding several actual points in what makes this such a fiasco.

People mad at a developer fixing their game. Come on. Just like when people are mad at delays they prefer an earlier released but broken version instead, right? No, what people really want is a working game on the day it was promised.

eero94

I made video comparing old version vs new beta update and using latest nvidia drivers(which seem to help on their own), driving same pattern with batmobile, performance seems to be more stable.

eero94

Still hitching quite a bit IMO, but that could be the GTX 970...

yup and one intresting thing is that afterburner shows vram usage going over 4.5 gb with the beta patch (you can see that in osd in the video) which should not be possible with 4gb (3.5gb) card.

What all game files makeup or are affected by that "beta" patch? Like, if I wanted to make a copy of those files in case the game updates, which ones specifically should I backup?

I've never before had to worry much about which patch I used with a given game.

dr_rus

yup and one intresting thing is that afterburner shows vram usage going over 4.5 gb with the beta patch (you can see that in osd in the video) which should not be possible with 4gb (3.5gb) card.

You're on Win10? This is a standard thing with AB in Win10 - most games which use a lot of VRAM show usage way above the physical VRAM present on the card they're running on. No idea if that's a driver / monitoring bug or an intended feature of WDDM2.0/DX12.

Shari

To me this is just incompetence being shown on top of more incompetence.

Ok you didnt mean to make the patch public (which in fact was public but NOT automatic). Since you've put it and you've failed and now internet is aware of it you might aswel just leave for the people who want to try and you might even get some feedback.

Instead of that, you set it private, and you fuck everyone (again, lol) and bathe in your incompetence.

Seriosuly, we're at a point were all this is hilarious and I dunno who is making the plays but he/she is a clown, on a technical level (proved on release) and on a management level (proved yesterday).

Like really, there's no possible way to make this any worse than has been. They might aswel delay the patch until 2016 like "feedback is 95% positive but somehow intro logos are not running so no patch, further news next year".

Cmon WB, make it happen.

To me this is just incompetence being shown on top of more incompetence.

Ok you didnt mean to make the patch public (which in fact was public but NOT automatic). Since you've put it and you've failed and now internet is aware of it you might aswel just leave for the people who want to try and you might even get some feedback.

Instead of that, you set it private, and you fuck everyone (again, lol) and bathe in your incompetence.

Seriosuly, we're at a point were all this is hilarious and I dunno who is making the plays but he/she is a clown, on a technical level (proved on release) and on a management level (proved yesterday).

Like really, there's no possible way to make this any worse than has been. They might aswel delay the patch until 2016 like "feedback is 95% positive but somehow intro logos are not running so no patch, further news next year".

Cmon WB, make it happen.
would you be complaining if this accidental release of a beta patch fixed many/all the issues that AK has?

Naw, i didn't think so either.

Have some sense of perspective. They have been patching this a ton behind the scenes going by how much movement the depots have shown on steam. the odds were that one would get away from them.

Shari

would you be complaining if this accidental release of a beta patch fixed many/all the issues that AK has?

Naw, i didn't think so either.

Have some sense of perspective. They have been patching this a ton behind the scenes going by how much movement the depots have shown on steam. the odds were that one would get away from them.

But the funny part is that IT FIXED most of my issues with the game. Even the fact that the patch introduced a rampant memory leak is a minimal issue considering the actual state of the game.

I dont think we can find a single computer on which the current available version of the game runs better than the patch.

And no, the odds are nothing, you are methodical on your work and privacy/security is king in this business. Its ridiculous that going through several iterations of a patch one of them gets released public.

I dont really know what you implying but I stand by my previous post, Im not even mad, they're unprofessional clowns.

But the funny part is that IT FIXED most of my issues with the game. Even the fact that the patch introduced a rampant memory leak is a minimal issue considering the actual state of the game.

I dont think we can find a single computer on which the current available version of the game runs better than the patch.

And no, the odds are nothing, you are methodical on your work and privacity/security is king in this business. Its ridiculous that going through several iterations of a patch one of them gets released public.

I dont really know what you implying but I stand by my previous post, Im not even mad, they're unprofessional clowns.

what im saying is that you would be super cool with yesterday's leak if it fixed the issues they promised to fix and you wouldn't be calling anyone a clown

what's implied is that they're not looking quite as clownish as your post does

GavinUK86

I made video comparing old version vs new beta update and using latest nvidia drivers(which seem to help on their own), driving same pattern with batmobile, performance seems to be more stable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KUNkzy0_tU

Nice, looks way better. I got the same amount of ram and the same GPU with an i7 2600k. I finished the game locked to 30fps but I might replay it if it's as steady, or even steadier, than this.

Parsnip

You're on Win10? This is a standard thing with AB in Win10 - most games which use a lot of VRAM show usage way above the physical VRAM present on the card they're running on. No idea if that's a driver / monitoring bug or an intended feature of WDDM2.0/DX12.

Oh, that's interesting. I had been wondering about that back when AK came out and my 2gb card was supposedly using 2.5gb's. Seems like there's a thread about it on guru3d, time to read.

I don't think textures will look better, it would require Rocksteady to have authored assets at higher quality than consoles which seems unlikely.
Console textures are the best we'll get, they're not perfect but that's fine.

Textures are always made in a higher res than what you later get. No artist works in the resolution they need to deliver it at.

Top Bottom