• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord open Beta starts July 18

Killjoy-NL

trying to appease the DEI and mental illness gang. Just like dr who and star wars tried and failed and cried about. same will happen with this woke trash.
Maybe.

This was my initial response:
Not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't this. It has Woke all over it. Lol

Eh, who knows. Trailer is terrible though and the voice-over is a instant turn-off.

It's not like the Woke/Inclusive bs isn't annoying me, but if the gameplay is good enough and the game is fun, I can look past the character designs and pronounces.

For as much as lots of Gaffers (and gamers in general) always claim "gameplay first", they are awfully shallow when it comes to this particular game.

Personally, I just want a fun game that I can spend a decent amount of time on, just like Predecessor, which rn has a small but dedicted community.
So if the beta is fun, it's good enough for me.
And if it flops, I move on.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For as much as lots of Gaffers (and gamers in general) always claim "gameplay first", they are awfully shallow when it comes to this particular game.
It’s hero shooter is it not? Character design is very important for this type of games, it’s same as fighting games, character design those games are as important as the gameplay.

Killjoy-NL

It’s hero shooter is it not? Character design is very important for this type of games, it’s same as fighting games, character design those games are as important as the gameplay.
Sure, but if an ugly girl can give amazing blowjobs, should I refuse getting my dick sucked if I want to bust a nut?

Danjin44

Sure, but if an ugly girl can give amazing blowjobs, should I refuse getting my dick sucked if I want to bust a nut?
oden-and-whitebeard-annoyed.gif

That aside, the devs actively want us care about these characters that’s why they gonna put story cutscenes in MP focus game every time you log in, so would say character design is important.

Killjoy-NL

oden-and-whitebeard-annoyed.gif

That aside, the devs actively want us care about these characters that’s why they gonna put story cutscenes in MP focus game every time you log in, so would say character design is important.
I never said character design isn't important though and I've already said character designs are bad. (Although, some don't seem too bad).

But OW (and Apex)"also has a lot of shit and lame character designs, but I enjoyed both games all the same.

Most important is gunplay and gameplay, imo.

Danjin44

I never said character design isn't important though and I've already said character designs are bad. (Although, some don't seem too bad).

But OW (and Apex)"also has a lot of shit and lame character designs, but I enjoyed both games all the same.

Most important is gunplay and gameplay, imo.
I can’t give opinions on Apex or OW since I don’t play MP games but I guess for someone like me who only plays SP focus games, character design is important to me.

Killjoy-NL

I can’t give opinions on Apex or OW since I don’t play MP games but I guess for someone like me who only plays SP focus games, character design is important to me.
That's fair, you're definitely not wrong there.

But I honestly don't care all that much in mp games if the maps and graphics look good and the gunplay is great.

It's like how I also don't get why people are bothered by skins like Snoop Dogg and Nicki Minaj in COD.
I also didn't care about Bloodhound being non-binary in Apex.

It's all about the competitive nature and I think that if Firewalk nails the important aspects of the game, people might be able to look past the Wokeness.

Killjoy-NL

It's also important when they are trying to sell skins like similar games.
Well yeah, but they're aware of the reaction to the designs, so they can make completely different looking skins if that's going to be a major issue.

That's real easy to fix.

Last edited:

Danjin44

That's fair, you're definitely not wrong there.

But I honestly don't care all that much in mp games if the maps and graphics look good and the gunplay is great.

It's like how I also don't get why people are bothered by skins like Snoop Dogg and Nicki Minaj in COD.
I also didn't care about Bloodhound being non-binary in Apex.

It's all about the competitive nature and I think that if Firewalk nails the important aspects of the game, people might be able to look past the Wokeness.
Thats part I care least about, to me games's overall aesthetics and character designs MUCH more important than tech behind the visuals.

You have the most high tech graphics but if I find the characters ugly and not liking artstyle then all that tech would be amount to nothing.

Killjoy-NL

Thats part I care least about, to me games's overall aesthetics and character designs MUCH more important than tech behind the visuals.

You have the most high tech graphics but if I find the characters ugly and not liking artstyle then all that tech would be amount to nothing.
Apart from character design, the maps/aesthetics don't look bad at all.

Character design is easily solved by releasing different skins.

Last edited:
I am personally bored to tears with the character designs, but the gameplay looks interesting, und with the beta open to all PS Plus users, at least I can try it.

Danjin44

Apart from character design, the maps/aesthetics don't look bad at all.

Character design is easily solved ny releasing different skins.
The thing about aststyle is they very subjective and I'm sorry but I really find Concord's artstyle ugly as fuck.

Even if I'm not in to OverWatch, I can at least acknowledge its artstyle is decent but damn i find this game's artstyle such a turn off.

Killjoy-NL

The thing about aststyle is they very subjective and I'm sorry but I really find Concord's artstyle ugly as fuck.

Even if I'm not in to OverWatch, I can at least acknowledge its artstyle is decent but damn i find this game's artstyle such a turn off.
That's okay. That's personal.
Personally, I only have an issue with the character designs.

Going by the gameplay vids, the maps look at least decent enough, as does the gameplay.
Firewalk needs to deliver on the gameplay first these upcoming beta wknds.

And if they fuck up these upcoming 2 wknds, I'll be right there with you guys shitting on the game. No problem.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Well yeah, but they're aware of the reaction to the designs, so they can make completely different looking skins if that's going to be a major issue.

That's real easy to fix.

If they actually do that which I highly doubt would mean further shitstorm anyway. Imagine having absolutely garbage character design and the fix is selling skins for 20 bucks.

Killjoy-NL

If they actually do that which I highly doubt would mean further shitstorm anyway. Imagine having absolutely garbage character design and the fix is selling skins for 20 bucks.
Maybe, but most games do that kind of thing already anyway.

Let's be real, the game is what it is already. All they can do from here is listen to feedback and try to adapt.

The important thing is nailing the gameplay.

Fabieter

Maybe, but most games do that kind of thing already anyway.

Let's be real, the game is what it is already. All they can do from here is listen to feedback and try to adapt.

The important thing is nailing the gameplay.

No they can and absolutely should do f2p. But they can't cash in on ps+ if they would do that.

Killjoy-NL

Monetization is just as important as gameplay in these kinds games.

They can do whatever they like but they shouldn't be shocked if it's bombing
Sure, if they make dumb decisions, it's on them.
They already are a step behind with character design and the gameplay reveal.

But that's their problem, not mine. If it bombs, there's other games to play.

Fabieter

Sure, if they make dumb decisions, it's on them.
They already are a step behind with character design and the gameplay reveal.

But that's their problem, not mine. If it bombs, there's other games to play.

Well I would agree without an upfront costs. But people will ultimately lose access to this b2p game if it bombs.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So what are the first impressions?

Initial responses will be its not bad....will be shilled for by some...Some people will enjoy it for a while...and then it will be forgotten... and remembered for the fact that it is void of any creativity and is a game made by committee to tick the boxes.

or I could be completely wrong.

Helldivers 2 looked very forgettable but that did great (at least for a few months), will be interesting to see how sticky this game is, it’ll either need great characters or great moment to moment gameplay. So I hope for their sake the gameplay is good as these characters are destruction all-star level cringe

cormack12

Gold Member
What happened with D:AS?

Did they refund people who bought it when it went f2p? Or rather entered PS+?

Last edited:

Perrott

What happened with D:AS?

Did they refund people who bought it when it went f2p? Or rather entered PS+?
Refund who? The game debuted on PS+ and that's where the majority of its userbase must have gotten it from. The game wasn't up for sale until two months after its PS+ release, and from that point on it only sold north of 20k digital copies lifetime (at a $19.99 MSRP) according to leaked documents that came out of the Insomniac leak.

Those few tens of thousands that actually paid for the game months after its launch knew what they were getting themselves into, and to be fair, its not like the served have been shut down or anything.

cormack12

Gold Member
Refund who? The game debuted on PS+ and that's where the majority of its userbase must have gotten it from. The game wasn't up for sale until two months after its PS+ release, and from that point on it only sold north of 20k digital copies lifetime (at a $19.99 MSRP) according to leaked documents that came out of the Insomniac leak.

Those few tens of thousands that actually paid for the game months after its launch knew what they were getting themselves into, and to be fair, its not like the served have been shut down or anything.
No I just looked it up. It allowed preorders for $70, was delayed and then due to the lack of interest that's when they run the ps+ promotion:

I'm just wondering they may do something similar to give this a shot at succeeding

Perrott

No I just looked it up. It allowed preorders for $70, was delayed and then due to the lack of interest that's when they run the ps+ promotion:

I'm just wondering they may do something similar to give this a shot at succeeding
Ah, yes, I believe those were cancelled and refunded as soon as the PS Plus release was made official.

Regarding Concord, the success that Helldivers II has enjoyed earlier in the year in spite of its pay-to-play model might have given Sony confidence in sticking with a similar strategy for Concord.

I doubt it will work out, though.

I'm gonna go in with an open mind. I'm not really into PvP or hero shooters. I also don't care about Marvel. Hate the SBI/woke type crap.
But hey, if it's a fun game, I can wipe my ass with $40. We'll see.

Top Bottom