• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord |OT| As we Firewalk through the valley of Live Service...

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Why would they? Helldivers released on both platforms simultanously and it did fine. As much as I wonder about the decision chain for this game, that type of forum poster logic would be a weird fucking take.
Helldivers 2 isn’t a game made by a first party, if I remember correctly. Not quite the same situation.

This game right now has a total of 27 viewers on Twitch...

State Of The Union Republican Response GIF by PBS NewsHour

They don't want to get spoiled on its thrilling story.

Imagine the plot twist if a she/her turns out a they/them. You want to experience that firsthand.

SpokkX

I am actually really excited for Concord

…… concurrent player numbers on Steam

Expecting a tough battle with redfall

clarky

Gold Member
Those are just the people that paid $60 to play it early. This pay more for the real release date thing is annoying. Especially when the review embargo’s are not up yet.

Im fully aware of that.

Although im surprised they tried it for this particular title, usually its for the big releases to pray on the FOMO.

If it fits my schedule and im sure on the title i usually bite on those kind of things if im honest,yes I'm part of the problem.

Im fully aware of that.

Although im surprised they tried it for this particular title, usually its for the big releases to pray on the FOMO.

If it fits my schedule and im sure on the title i usually bite on those kind of things if im honest,yes I'm part of the problem.

Yea, you are. ha! I think paying for the real release date is the latest terrible practice Xbox popularized. Now basically every title is doing it. Even indie titles are doing it.

Killjoy-NL

It's a 2nd party title, which might as well be considered a 1st party release.

This was always the case.
What's wrong vaibhavpisal vaibhavpisal this has always been the case.

It's the same as how Resistance is considered to be a Sony 1st party title, while Insomniac was still an independent studio.
Therefor Resistance is a 2nd party franchise.

clarky

Gold Member
Yea, you are. ha! I think paying for the real release date is the latest terrible practice Xbox popularized. Now basically every title is doing it. Even indie titles are doing it.
Nah you can't blame xbox for everything. I believe EA or possibly Activision started this shit, Xbox can't popularise anything these day lol.

Like i said i work 3 weeks on, 3 off and if a title that im after falls in the 3 off and i ll pay up because it suits me.

Last edited:

BlackTron

They already gave us paid online but won't stop delivering new innovations without a fight. You can't knock MS's dedication to leaving a big mark on gaming.

clarky

Gold Member
They already gave us paid online but won't stop delivering new innovations without a fight. You can't knock MS's dedication to leaving a big mark on gaming.
Like i said above you cant blame MS for the practice, they didn't start it, and you cant blame them for popularizing it and they sell fuck all these day, even as a bolt on the gamepass releases.

Nah you can't blame xbox for everything. I believe EA or possibly Activision started this shit, Xbox can't popularise anything these day lol.

Like i said i work 3 weeks on, 3 off and if a title that im after falls in the 3 off and i ll pay up because it suits me.

They didn't start it but they definitely popularized it by trying to get more money out of people subbed to GamePass. They were doing it with all their titles over a year ago.
Most other devs are just starting to do it this year.

BlackTron

Like i said above you cant blame MS for the practice, they didn't start it, and you cant blame them for popularizing it and they sell fuck all these day, even as a bolt on the gamepass releases.

They didn't both start and popularize it? Who did, AOL?

clarky

Gold Member
They didn't start it but they definitely popularized it by trying to get more money out of people subbed to GamePass. They were doing it with all their titles over a year ago.
Nah you're just not remembering that every other slimball publishers that do it as well it's been a thing long before Starfield and Forza.

WB EA and Activision have been at it for a good few years.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Don't do it. You keep that can of worms firmly in your pocket mate.
It's not wrong, though:

"Refers to a developer who works exclusively with one of the Big 3 publishers on a franchise while still maintaining their independence. Examples include Insomniac Games (Ratchet & Clank franchise), Bungie (Halo Franchise), etc."

But this is going to be way off-topic anyway.

clarky

Gold Member
They didn't both start and popularize it? Who did, AOL?
Ea have been charging for early access to Fifa for years and Battlefield DLC's for a fair while.

So no they didn't start it, and I'm fairly certain they dont have a title that is more popular that FIFA.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I think Ea
Ea have been charging for early access to Fifa for years and Battlefield DLC's for a fair while.

So no they didn't start it, and I'm fairly certain they dont have a title that is more popular that FIFA.

Oh. I thought you were talking about paid online, lol

clarky

Gold Member
See my post above you are incorrect, EA have been doing it for years with titles far more popular that what Xbox puts out.

Last edited:
See my post above you are incorrect, EA have been doing it for years with titles far more popular that what Xbox puts out.

I’d still say it’s a little different when a platform holder does it for all their first party releases. Paying to play online wasn’t that popular until a platform holder did it. Same concept.

They should be judged differently than just some 3rd party publisher.

clarky

Gold Member
They should be judged differently than just some 3rd party publisher.

Ah ok we'll just hold MS to different standards to everyone else so we can blame them.

I don't particularly like MS, but thats just double standards to fit your narrative.

They are all cunts equally iny eyes.

Last edited:
Ah ok we'll just hold MS to different standards to everyone else so we can blame them.

I don't particularly like MS, but thats just double standards to fit your narrative.

They are all cunts equally iny eyes.

No. Like I said. We hold platform holders different cause they are different. The impact is different. PS and Nintendo probably would have never charged to pay online until another platform holder did it. They didn’t see WoW subs and were like, we need to charge to play online.

You’re just overly defensive of MS for some reason.

clarky

Gold Member
No. Like I said. We hold platform holders different cause they are different. The impact is different. PS and Nintendo probably would have never charged to pay online until another platform holder did it. They didn’t see WoW subs and were like, we need to charge to play online.

You’re just overly defensive of MS for some reason.
Explain why we should blame a practice thats been happening for years on one particular company which adopted it years later and has become common place. Like i said they were not the first and definitely didn't popularize it. Your arguement makes no sense.

Is this the only practice this applies to or shall we blame them for all MTX while we are at it now they own BGS?

Im overly defensive of common sense mate and I'm very critical of MS when its deserved, which is most of the time. Just not in this particular case. I think you just have a hate boner for them.

Explain why we should blame a practice thats been happening for years on one particular company which adopted it years later and has become common place. Like i said they were not the first and definitely didn't popularize it. Your arguement makes no sense.

Is this the only practice this applies to or shall we blame them for all MTX while we are at it now they own BGS?

Im overly defensive of common sense mate and I'm very critical of MS when its deserved, which is most of the time. Just not in this particular case. I think you just have a hate boner for them.

Sony as a platform holder started giving away games with PS+, MS and Nintnedo followed suit. Same concept but in a positive way. Once a platform holder does something it holds more weight and causes more of an impact.
It's competition between platform holders. Not that hard of a concept . . .

clarky

Gold Member
Sony as a platform holder started giving away games with PS+, MS and Nintnedo followed suit. Same concept but in a positive way. Once a platform holder does something it holds more weight and causes more of an impact.
It's competition between platform holders. Not that hard of a concept . . .
Xbox is dead in the water, i doubt anything they do will have an impact on any strategy Nintendo or Sony have.

And for fear of repeating myself this practice has been going on for years, you think Sony is only doing this because MS does? Why start now?

Might as well blame them for COVID while your at it.

Last edited:

Nydius

Where is halo now?

And it’s Halo, expectations are far higher

I usually agree with most of your comments but lately you’ve really been doing some impressive mental gymnastics to spin this game’s impending failure as “no big deal”.

I do completely agree with you that Firewalk Studios could cease to exist tomorrow and no one would really miss it (although I honestly feel like we could probably say the same about 343i). But clearly SONY has major expectations for this game, whether we gamers do or not.

Sony obviously believes it’s their next big thing or they wouldn’t have spent the last month pushing it on social media outlets. They made a damn limited edition controller for it, something usually reserved for a handful of established properties. Sony clearly believes they have their own Overwatch and have spent a LOT of money propping it up. That’s why the game flopping is a big deal despite the fact that the studio and IP is new.

This is a major fuckup for Sony, there's no way to soften the hit. It's not just that they support the game, they also bought the studio, which is left in a very bad situation.

I would quietly get some heads rolling and start up the studio from scratch.

yurinka

Helldivers 2 isn’t a game made by a first party, if I remember correctly. Not quite the same situation.
Helldivers 2 is a first party game in PS, and 3rd party in Steam.

As you can see in their game credits, in AAA games the lead dev studio provides only around 10% of less of the total amount of people who works in a game. The rest are from the Sony, either from the publishing, editorial and corporate side, or from internal or extearnal support/outsourcing teams funded and managed by Sony.

That approximated percentage applies to 1st, 2nd and 3rd party AAA games. So in Sony's first party games there's not much difference if the lead dev team is owned by them or not.

Specifically, Helldivers 2 is a second party game in PS. Which means it's a first party game (1st party game = it's published by the platform holder) that had a 3rd party lead dev studio (3rd party studio = not owned by the platform holder).

3rd party games are the ones published by a company not owned by the platform holder. 3rd party publisher = publisher not owned by the platform holder.

Last edited:
I usually agree with most of your comments but lately you’ve really been doing some impressive mental gymnastics to spin this game’s impending failure as “no big deal”.

I do completely agree with you that Firewalk Studios could cease to exist tomorrow and no one would really miss it (although I honestly feel like we could probably say the same about 343i). But clearly SONY has major expectations for this game, whether we gamers do or not.

Sony obviously believes it’s their next big thing or they wouldn’t have spent the last month pushing it on social media outlets. They made a damn limited edition controller for it, something usually reserved for a handful of established properties. Sony clearly believes they have their own Overwatch and have spent a LOT of money propping it up. That’s why the game flopping is a big deal despite the fact that the studio and IP is new.

Sure. Sony was trying to make it a big new IP

How is that different from any other property? They did the same for Helldivers

some of them won’t work out.

The failure of a new studio is far less of a relative failure compared to a studio like 343 which is chartered with carrying Microsoft’s previously held most important IP

Still way higher daily users then Concord will have. When the brand new GaaS game can’t compete with Halo Infinite several years after that has launched you know it’s in trouble.

Doesn’t matter. They’re both low.

Halo being this low is a far bigger embarrassment and disaster

The fact that it’s in the sane convo as concord is sad how far they’ve fallen

Zathalus

Doesn’t matter. They’re both low.

Halo being this low is a far bigger embarrassment and disaster

The fact that it’s in the sane convo as concord is sad how far they’ve fallen
There is a massive difference between 270k and the likely less than 2k Concord will launch with. The only reason that they are even in the same conversation is that you brought it up. Halo Infinite is a failure yes, Concord is just an absolute disaster.

There is a massive difference between 270k and the likely less than 2k Concord will launch with. The only reason that they are even in the same conversation is that you brought it up. Halo Infinite is a failure yes, Concord is just an absolute disaster.

Doesn’t matter if it launched to 270k when very quickly it was down to less than 1% of that

Xbox is dead in the water, i doubt anything they do will have an impact on any strategy Nintendo or Sony have.

And for fear of repeating myself this practice has been going on for years, you think Sony is only doing this because MS does? Why start now?

Might as well blame them for COVID while your at it.

Most devs didn’t do it and the platform holders didn’t do it until platform holder MS started doing it all the time. Just the facts jack.

//DEVIL//

The only purpose there is an OT for this is to keep update on when it will crash and die .

Good I love it. Let them shove that wokeness up their ass on their way home when they get fired .

Top Bottom