• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord |OT| As we Firewalk through the valley of Live Service...

You folks just need to FaceTime each other and get it over with. Some of us might actually like to discuss the game instead of seeing the same goddamn avatars insulting each other over and over.

Serious question.....is there a such thing as trolling and thread derailment in this forum? ( I know I'm derailing too...lol) Seems like anything goes at times.

I mean it's fair if a person hates a game with every fiber of their being, but there should still be a place to talk about the game itself without all the other "stuff"

Serious question.....is there a such thing as trolling and thread derailment in this forum? ( I know I'm derailing too...lol) Seems like anything goes at times.

I mean it's fair if a person hates a game with every fiber of their being, but there should still be a place to talk about the game itself without all the other "stuff"
There is, but the mods are fairly linient which is a good thing compared to that other forum who shall not be named. You got to be really blatant and obvious.
Imo, this place has it mostly right actually being a discussion forum

sainraja

Concord isn't that bad of a game, especially not as bad as it is being made out to be by certain folks, and the attention it is attracting because of its design (visual, characters, etc.) is certainly not bringing the right type of attention; the game studio also didn't help themselves by trying to enter a market saturated with "hero" shooters without adding something that makes it unique. Some are also labeling it "woke," which probably isn't helping.

If they stick with it, despite the negativity, the game should do fine. It likely won't be another COD or anything like that, but it plays well, so they can still right the ship [probably].

--

Anyway, it is funny to see people pointing fingers at others in this thread when they have themselves acted similarly over a game that just happened to be branded with a different "mark.". And the people trying to call out "James" here won't do the same to the others who are behaving in a contradictory way (prob because their underlying feelings align :D), and so the cycle continues.

Last edited:

Reave

Meanwhile, I've been reading a lot of positive impressions of the game so far. Not sure if it's for me, but I don't get the impression that it's a complete disaster of a game.

What's to talk about the game, maybe only 2 or 3 people from here bought it. They can DM each other and freely discuss the good things about the game. The rest of us is here for the laughs and the trolling obviously 😆

Killjoy-NL

I mean you could say about Sony fans when Xbox games gets released doesn’t get favourable reception.

theyre-all-about-the-same-similar.gif
True, but I don't enter in those OTs, so no idea.

Cyberpunkd

Meanwhile, I've been reading a lot of positive impressions of the game so far. Not sure if it's for me, but I don't get the impression that it's a complete disaster of a game.
It doesn’t matter - unless you have an incredible hook there is absolutely no reason for people to abandon their thousand of hours of Fortnite or Destiny accounts to start with a new GAAS, this is what nobody greenlighting these games is not getting.
This game does have incredible hook. It’s colorful, yet bland, Guardians of the Galaxy vibes whereas superhero and Marvel fatigue are in full swing, with pronouns that will trigger a lot of people.

Killjoy-NL

It doesn’t matter - unless you have an incredible hook there is absolutely no reason for people to abandon their thousand of hours of Fortnite or Destiny accounts to start with a new GAAS, this is what nobody greenlighting these games is not getting.
This game does have incredible hook. It’s colorful, yet bland, Guardians of the Galaxy vibes whereas superhero and Marvel fatigue are in full swing, with pronouns that will trigger a lot of people.
It just needs to get into people's rotation.

Embearded

The 40$ price also doesn't help when there are free to play hero shooters out there and Valorant was just released for PS5.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
DenchDeckard DenchDeckard can correct me if im wrong but i read his post as:

" i can be a fanboy at times and rightfully get pulled up about it, but you're worse"

Then you reponded with redfall vs concord which kinda renforced his point lol.

*not saying i agree thats just how i read his post.

You've nailed it. I was a little bit tipsy as I'd been to a gig and I was checking the thread for feedback on the game and player numbers as I have played the beta. I thought the gameplay was serviceable but ultimately not an ounce of creativity. Just a carbon copy of other games with some awful disney esque quips. It's an awful game. Void of any creativity.

I then look through the thread and see numerous posts of James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford consistently demonstrating xbox living in his head rent free that my tipsy mind couldn't even work out if I was in the concord OT.

The whataboutism displayed was purely something else. It seems like he has been getting worse over the last few weeks/months.

Last edited:
You've nailed it. I was a little bit tipsy as I'd been to a gig and I was checking the thread for feedback on the game and player numbers as I have played the beta. I thought the gameplay was serviceable but ultimately not an ounce of creativity. Just a carbon copy of other games with some awful disney esque quips. It's an awful game. Void of any creativity.

I then look through the thread and see numerous posts of James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford consistently demonstrating xbox living in his head rent free that my tipsy mind couldn't even work out if I was in the concord OT.

The whataboutism displayed was purely something else. It seems like he has been getting worse over the last few weeks/months.

modern family gif lsat GIF

Whataboutism is an overused term the blue haired nazi’s use when you actually have a point

Last edited:

AgatonSax

There is, but the mods are fairly linient which is a good thing compared to that other forum who shall not be named. You got to be really blatant and obvious.
Imo, this place has it mostly right actually being a discussion forum
The other forum might be a plague pit but they do actually discuss the game. This ‘OT’ is empty calories thus far.

N30RYU

I don't need to play a game to hate it... the only thing I need to know is that this has been greenlighted when Factions, Horizon and Spiderman multiplayer games have been put to sleep and I would rather buy any of those than this one.
And if that isn't enough on top of that they put all the woke in the world in this game and pretend that we should be ok with it and buy the game and make it a mega hit... no thanks.
I really hope it bomba hard and all the ppl that spend money on it found the lobbies empty and drop it in less than a month.

There is a reason why games like Stellar Blade, Wukong and Helldivers 2 sell... and the reason is that they aren't anything more than just games made to entertain not trying to please a vocal minority that in the end don't give a fuck about videogames nor buy them.

Last edited:
1000 peak concurrent players today? What do you think?
I think that you posted at 3am on release day…

I also think that if I have to choose between Visions of Mana or this…

Actually, I just realized that this has a physical release. I may pick it up as well!

Edit: forgot that this game would require me to pay the PlayStation plus $12 bribe just to play the damn game for a month. Never mind.

Last edited:

Felessan

Tell it to score 56 game 1st descendent
The only thing that really matters in gaas is how interesting and addictive to play a game. All other stuff pretty irrelevant.

And those who greenlight these games understand how they work and that market for them is huge now.
Gaas games actually becoming less demanding over player time, making it easier to combine them.
For example you can play Genshin, HSR and ZZZ simultaneously and it will take you about 2 hours a day. Or you can play Fortnite when you want to play a shooter and play ZZZ when you want to play action-rpg and there are will be no real conflict between them.
Landscape of gaas rapidly evolving, they no longer likes an MMO that required huge amount of time to be locked in-game to stay relevant.
I know people who play 5-6 gaas at time, some of them more laid back, some of them more serious. And it's not something strenuous.

The game might be okay, good for some people even, but to have a chance as a live service game, good is just not good enough.
There are already enough alternatives, which are just better, so who would like to play a lesser game if there are better alternatives.

clarky

Gold Member
Na dude everyone's super excited to see the player count is.
I don't think there has ever been a game as eagerly awaited on gaf as this........for player counts

Im half expecting a que to access steamdb at this point lol.

I hope i does like 20k just to really confuse everyone.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The Concord beta peaked at 2,388 players on Steam.

How often does a release game out-do a free open beta?

The Concord beta peaked at 2,388 players on Steam.

How often does a release game out-do a free open beta?
Only if it was outstanding and then gained popularity as it exploded into the mainstream, and certainly this is not an adjective we could use to describe concord. At most we call say it is competent shooter (a few tweaks like movement speed and TTK, not to CoD levels or anything, could make this game way better) but unremarkable in every other sense, mainly character design... which is the most attractive remark of a hero shooter.

Last edited:

wipeout364

I wonder if the art team from first descendent had done the character design for Concord if things would be different. I am kind of joking but also kind of serious. Personally Concord is so ugly I would need gameplay to be next level to spend my time on it unless it was FTP.

However first descendent is pretty average, maybe below average and it seems to be getting lots of traction and I think a lot of that is due to the amazing characters/skins design but it is FTP so it is tough to know.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Only if it was outstanding and then gained popularity as it exploded into the mainstream, and certainly this is not an adjective we could use to describe concord. At most we call say it is competent shooter (a few tweaks like movement speed and TTK, not to CoD levels or anything, could make this game way better) but unremarkable in every other sense, mainly character design... which is the most attractive remark of a hero shooter.

Yeah excuse the name the closed beta client was used for an open beta later on where it hit its high.

g4adkXn.jpeg

So yeah it happens when betas make a good Impression... shame Darktide flopped soon after.

Man I can't wait to see concord numbers...

Last edited:

mdkirby

Concord isn't that bad of a game, especially not as bad as it is being made out to be by certain folks, and the attention it is attracting because of its design (visual, characters, etc.) is certainly not bringing the right type of attention; the game studio also didn't help themselves by trying to enter a market saturated with "hero" shooters without adding something that makes it unique. Some are also labeling it "woke," which probably isn't helping.

If they stick with it, despite the negativity, the game should do fine. It likely won't be another COD or anything like that, but it plays well, so they can still right the ship [probably].

--

Anyway, it is funny to see people pointing fingers at others in this thread when they have themselves acted similarly over a game that just happened to be branded with a different "mark.". And the people trying to call out "James" here won't do the same to the others who are behaving in a contradictory way (prob because their underlying feelings align :D), and so the cycle continues.
Im not interested in this type of game, other than the discourse around it, but the problem imo from everything ive seen is very much the characters.

It a 'hero shooter', the critical thing here is the heroes are the centre piece and main draw (in addition to having good gameplay). Players need to look at each one and go:

"damn they are cool/badass/unique/memorable/desirable".

The demographic for competitive shooters is overwhelming teenage males fulfilling power fantasies, and like it or not (few exceptions aside) the community response for their heroes and subsequently their game to succeed, needs to be either;

'I want to be them and kick some ass',

or

'I want to fuck them' (and from a marketing side, people should be excited to cosplay as them).

They have done one hell of a job at failing at that task with pretty much every single character. It would matter far less for pretty much any other type of game. Perhaps they were going for a different audience (and that audience does deserve games made for them), but that's simply not the audience that plays competitive first person shooters, and those edge cases that do just aren't of sufficient numbers to sustain a multi hundred million dollar budget game. If you're appealing to a niche audience the game budget needs to be set accordingly (Road 96, for instance, a game I loved, appeals to this audience, and was a success, but it was comparatively super cheap to make, and its genre was aligned with their intended audience). This should have been obvious to all involved....But it is what it is.

We'll see the numbers in a few hours, but the early data points are pointing to this being the bomb of the year.

clarky

Gold Member
It has already sold close to 3k copies. So it will be higher than 600 for sure.
3000 copies of early access would suggest a CCU of around 500 going off other titles.

I'm thinking 5k later on, which coupled with a much higher base on PS5 and the devs might have something to work with. If they can hold onto those players, which i think is very unlikely with the progression and game in its current form.

Last edited:
Top Bottom