• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord |OT| As we Firewalk through the valley of Live Service...

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Flop is relative to expectations

This is a new studio

Those others were established
Because people were betting the farm on Redfall and Hellblade 2. Sure thing there buddy. Whatever you got to tell yourself.

Concord flopped before it even released. There’s the difference maker right there. The others needed to release to be pointed at and laughed at. Concord was laughed at out of the gate and continues to be an embarrassment. Deal with it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Flop is relative to expectations

This is a new studio

Those others were established

The studio was established 6 years ago. Has senior talent from Bungie and Activision and the financial backing of one of the biggest publishers in the industry right now.

Regardless, people didn't exactly show up for the free open beta either, so this isn't exactly unprecedented.

Because people were betting the farm on Redfall and Hellblade 2. Sure thing there buddy. Whatever you got to tell yourself.

Concord flopped before it even released. There’s the difference maker right there. The others needed to release to be pointed at and laughed at. Concord was laughed at out of the gate and continues to be an embarrassment. Deal with it.

Xbox series reveal was with hellblade 2

Redfall was the show finale for a major e3, from the devs of dishonored

Yeah sure buddy, these games weren’t hyped and nobody cared at all that they flopped and the studio shutdown

Concord is a new studio and wasn’t hyped at all, wasn’t even shown until some low key showcase event. Nobody cares that it flopped

People care that HB2 was ass and regressed from the original, people care that dishonored will no longer be made and the studio shut down for chasing something they’re not

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

The studio was established 6 years ago. Has senior talent from Bungie and Activision and the financial backing of one of the biggest publishers in the industry right now.

Regardless, people didn't exactly show up for the free open beta either, so this isn't exactly unprecedented.
A new studio is a new studio.

It was unknown to all and Firewalk has no prior track-record.
I doubt anyone had very high expectations for Concord pre-beta.

Last edited:
FoxMcChief FoxMcChief

Find one quote of anyone saying Concord was supposed to be a guaranteed major hit.

He can’t.

Somehow we’re supposed to be upset a no name studio set up for GaaS only failed

Meanwhile a cherished studio for making immersive sim games chased a woke GaaS title and it killled the studio

What do you think is the bigger disappointment and flop? Nobody could give two shits if Firewalk closes tomorrow

adamsapple

He can’t.

Meanwhile a cherished studio for making immersive sim games chased a woke GaaS title and it killled the studio

What do you think is the bigger disappointment and flop? Nobody could give two shits if Firewalk closes tomorrow

Bro this was you less than 2 months ago.

5jr4XvV.jpeg

Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

Killjoy-NL

He can’t.

Same as people like HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 , who claimed 'blue shills' were claiming this game would be a big success.

Nothing at all to back it up.

Not even Men in Boxes made such a claim. Lol

Bro this was you less than 2 months ago.

5jr4XvV.jpeg

Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

I was wrong about its appeal/success

But the game isn’t bad. Concord is a competent shooter. Just doesn’t do anything new and is way lighter on progression than I thought it would be

You thought hellblade 2 was fantastic and it’s a fucking joke in comparison. Redfall is also trash.

Concord is unappealing and short lived as fuck but it ain’t terrible to play like Redfall and hellblade 2

Last edited:

adamsapple

That’s my point. It was destined to flop. At no time did anyone ever think Sony was smart to acquire this team and lead them to this games demise. At least people tried Redfall and Hellblade 2. Hell, even resident Sony fanboy James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford played them.

No one is even trying Concord.

We went from "I think Sony has a good eye for talent" and "Bungie must have provided positive feedback"

to "who gives a shit if a no name studio failed"

between the start of July and end of August.

Blow Your Mind Wow GIF by Product Hunt

Killjoy-NL

That’s my point. It was destined to flop. At no time did anyone ever think Sony was smart to acquire this team and lead them to this games demise. At least people tried Redfall and Hellblade 2. Hell, even resident Sony fanboy James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford played them.

No one is even trying Concord.
Quite hyperbolic.

I'll give you the fact that this game was never considered to be a massive success.

Last edited:
We went from "I think Sony has a good eye for talent" and "Bungie must have provided positive feedback"

You like hellblade 2

Bro, I never said it would be a guaranteed enormous hit. I was more optimistic that it could do better than it ended up doing.

But again if the studio fails nobody gives a shit. The two thoughts are not incongruent

Last edited:

dottme

Hum, this game has bombarded my X/youtube/tiktok feeds with tons of ads but they were not expecting to sell a lot.
that’s a great way to quickly close a studio.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Hum, this game has bombarded my X/youtube/tiktok feeds with tons of ads but they were not expecting to sell a lot.
that’s a great way to quickly close a studio.
Dev studio started working in 2018 and concord is first/only game, so think of it like that, 6 years of western salaries(its from washington state) for easily 100+ppl team +marketing budget, means easily over 100m usd budget, maybe even over 150m with those nasty inflation numbers US is experiencing last few years, if game doesnt have moderately high playerscount/sales it will be huge bomb and lay offs/studio clousure gonna happen 4sure.

Killjoy-NL

Dev studio started working in 2018 and concord is first/only game, so think of it like that, 6 years of western salaries(its from washington state) for easily 100+ppl team +marketing budget, means easily over 100m usd budget, maybe even over 150m with those nasty inflation numbers US is experiencing last few years, if game doesnt have moderately high playerscount/sales it will be huge bomb and lay offs/studio clousure gonna happen 4sure.
Sony didn't get involved with Concord until sometime in 2021 though, when they signed a publishing deal.

So for Sony it's just 3 years.

Last edited:

foamdino

Everyone who's played this says that the gunplay is actually very solid and the performance is good.

It's obviously got some issues, but the hate it's getting seems a little over the top. There's obviously some quality code/engineering that went into this and the team has the skill to put together a very polished product.

It's not to my taste, as I'm not into shooters, but when they started the project I assume they thought they had the talent to build something good (which given the polish etc seems to be true), but they misread the room with respect to what people want to play right now.

If this had been a single-player FPS in the same universe, same characters etc it would have been a great game. Making an online mulitplayer game focused on esports style team based gameplay is just, why??

Kokoloko85

FoxMcChief FoxMcChief

Find one quote of anyone saying Concord was supposed to be a guaranteed major hit.
The weirdos are obsessed with seeing this fail. And saying they were right lol. These are the “mature non console warriors” posters supposedly. Above it all with there steam stats and viewership numbers.§1
No1 thought this was gonna be a giant hit or anything lol.

Its fun for them, they obviously have some internal complexity ( Maybe a Gaas game hurt them, maybe they still feel effected by the childhood trauma of Playstation Killing Sega lol, maybe its from constant Xbox failures, who knows )

I wish Sony had a refund policy. $50 for a digital game is a tough pill to swallow. I suppose I could use Steam to demo the game with the intent to refund.

Kokoloko85

Whether the game fails or Not the studio can do gunplay well. So they have a talent for that part, animation, graphics etc

Last edited:

TrebleShot

I really enjoyed the beta and got the early access on Steam,
Its gunplay is really really good.

Its polished as hell more so than most mp games out there and its polish is consistent throughout.

Sure the characters are a bit on the nose but I can look past that and to be honest I really dont care.

In a world where we have fortnite and cats in COD its not that offensive to have fat women or whatever in it.

I think the biggest thing they need to improve is getting more game modes in there, at the outset i think its like 3 or 4 whilst they are fun more variety is needed.

Unlock system and progression is very smart, it really is about using more than one freegunner in the party and it feels like your progress each one bit by bit.

If I had to guess, when it crashes and burns, in a few year people will be wanting something like this when they are truly bored of cod etc.

Performance is rock solid.

Honestly seeing so many grown men wanting a game to flop, pressing F5 on a steam page to make sure no one is playing it, etc is just weird behavior.

Yes theres “woke stuff” in it, but from a gameplay perspective it clearly is a good game, it’s incredibly well polished for a new IP, the monetizing aspect of it is also not bad, etc.

Im not buying it or playing it and nothing about the game attracts me but im sorry that a new studio could be closed and a lot of people fired. But thats just me.

Also comparing this with a tech demo (Hellblade 2) and a barely functioning game (Red Fall) is not fair for this studio. They actually did a good game. It’s simply not for me (or should i say, for us)

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
A new studio is a new studio.

It was unknown to all and Firewalk has no prior track-record.
I doubt anyone had very high expectations for Concord pre-beta.
Whoever funded it probably has high expectations. Not many investors go into a deal thinking "it's their first time so I don't care if I lose my investment." I guess it's possible.

sainraja

Everyone who's played this says that the gunplay is actually very solid and the performance is good.

It's obviously got some issues, but the hate it's getting seems a little over the top. There's obviously some quality code/engineering that went into this and the team has the skill to put together a very polished product.

It's not to my taste, as I'm not into shooters, but when they started the project I assume they thought they had the talent to build something good (which given the polish etc seems to be true), but they misread the room with respect to what people want to play right now.

If this had been a single-player FPS in the same universe, same characters etc it would have been a great game. Making an online mulitplayer game focused on esports style team based gameplay is just, why??
They should have tried doing a hero shooter with some sort of twist—a different take on it. The gunplay is good and I enjoyed it but don't care for the characters at all. Perhaps a little customization of our characters would have been better but I know it is supposed to be a "hero" shooter. I feel the same way about Valorant and Overwatch (I only liked one character in OW—the reaper, I think). The movement in OW is just too slow for me. Concord is better on that end but the developers missed and, as someone else said, misread the room. I hope it does better in the long term and they introduce new character skins that are better, but we shall see.

---

You like hellblade 2

Bro, I never said it would be a guaranteed enormous hit. I was more optimistic that it could do better than it ended up doing.

But again if the studio fails nobody gives a shit. The two thoughts are not incongruent
Why do you take them seriously?

You know that they'd be defending this game to no end if the logo on the box was an X and not PS. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Also comparing this with a tech demo (Hellblade 2) and a barely functioning game (Red Fall) is not fair for this studio. They actually did a good game. It’s simply not for me (or should i say, for us)
Redfall was more like … diamond in the rough.

This is more like … polished turd.

Hellblade 2 is a good game, for target audience. No need to drag it here.

Kokoloko85

Honestly seeing so many grown men wanting a game to flop, pressing F5 on a steam page to make sure no one is playing it, etc is just weird behavior.

Yes theres “woke stuff” in it, but from a gameplay perspective it clearly is a good game, it’s incredibly well polished for a new IP, the monetizing aspect of it is also not bad, etc.

Im not buying it or playing it and nothing about the game attracts me but im sorry that a new studio could be closed and a lot of people fired. But thats just me.

Its:
PS fans who hate gaas
PS fans who hate “woke”
PS haters like Adamapple and co lol

While we still don't have a player count, it currently sits at #191 in top sellers per steam DB.

We did have for the open beta. Lawbreakers lost 60% of player base after the beta and had max 3000 players on launch day. Concord on open beta had 3000 players, waaaaaaay less than lawbreakers so its safe to assume the launch is going to be even worse. People arent all of a sudden going to show up in droves when they are supposed to pay if they havent when it was free.

Kokoloko85

Redfall was more like … diamond in the rough.

This is more like … polished turd.

Hellblade 2 is a good game, for target audience. No need to drag it here.
The gameplay in this game is fine and pretty decent. Nothing wrong with it. Graphically and presentation wise too. Character designs are the biggest issue

Top Bottom