• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord |OT| As we Firewalk through the valley of Live Service...

Never said it was did I? It obviously a failure for a Halo game in terms of player retention but it’s just not at the level of Concord. Hell, the player drop off of Helldivers 2 is just as extreme as Halo yet nobody here thinks that’s a failure.

Concord never was supposed to carry the PlayStation brand

Its a failure, but a wet fart in comparison to the massive shit that halo did to xbox

Phil even said Xbox doesn’t succeed without halo. Given they are now third party, looks like the halo fallout was massive and really did crater the entire business

Last edited:

Zathalus

Its a failure, but a wet fart in comparison to the massive shit that halo did to xbox

Phil even said Xbox doesn’t succeed without halo. Given they are now third party, looks like the halo fallout was massive and really did crater the entire business
Alright now we’re going right into speculation territory because Phil says a lot of things depending on what the weather is like. Feel free to pretend that Halo’s failure and this is even in the same ballpark.

clarky

Gold Member
Most devs didn’t do it and the platform holders didn’t do it until platform holder MS started doing it all the time. Just the facts jack.

Again you are talking shite. FIFA one of the most popular games on the planet has been doing it since at least 2014 and Battlefield have been doing it with their dlc for a similar time. But its only become popular in the last year according to you because reasons.

Devs do it because money, nothing more.

Last edited:

Varteras

That’s my point, they’re not. Halo’s magnitude of failure is much more impactful and devastating

Gonna have to agree here. Tanking a huge franchise that long served as your flagship, crown jewel, vibrating butt plug... whatever you want... is a bit worse than failing at a new IP. That being said, Concord is quite a striking failure for Sony considering how consistently good their first party is at dropping successful, quality games. Like for some reason Sony usually sleeps with 9's and 10's but woke up one day and had a burning desire to sleep with a 5 that has nipple rings and purple hair.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That’s my point, they’re not. Halo’s magnitude of failure is much more impactful and devastating

Question for you, James.

Rather than talking about Concord, why do you keep bringing in other games and keep using whataboutisms ?

You've spent more time in this thread discussing Halo Infinite and Redfall than Concord itself.

Varteras

I put so many hours into mw3, I still play it daily, xdefiant got stale and kinda sucks, I dont like the crucible. So this will give me another shooter to play until black ops.
0f518f0b-50d0-4e53-b917-c12945d0c6c8_text.gif

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The beta was free, why didn’t you play it?

Not my cup of tea. Maybe the reviews might sway me, who knows.

Are you playing it? How is it?

Its a high profile release. Good or bad, thats what we are all here for no? To discuss videogames?

Just odd seeing pretty much all of James's posts in the last couple of pages being about other games and trying to justify how they're bigger failures to him than talking about the actual game.

Kokoloko85 Kokoloko85 , by comparison, is at least posting his impressions of the game and its various modes.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
I put so many hours into mw3, I still play it daily, xdefiant got stale and kinda sucks, I dont like the crucible. So this will give me another shooter to play until black ops.

That was one of my take aways, Crucible vibes. Which after a while did grow on me, though it had a ton of flaws and really isn't very good.

I need something to tide me over as im burned out on MWIII just now and need a break until BLOPS.

Im trying to go in with an open mind but i really didn't like the beta much at all.

Plus its beta weekend next week isnt it? Its got till then if i can find the time.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Question for you, James.

Rather than talking about Concord, why do you keep bringing in other games and keep using whataboutisms ?

You've spent more time in this thread discussing Halo Infinite and Redfall than Concord itself.

The reviews probably won’t be nearly as bad as Redfall

I played it, it’s a competent shooter but doesn’t have much legs to me and the aesthetic isn’t my cup of tea but it plays great
Like magic.

havoc00

That was one of my take aways, Crucible vibes. Which after a while did grow on me, though it had a ton of flaws and really isn't very good.

I need something to tide me over as im burned out on MWIII just now and need a break until BLOPS.

Im trying to go in with an open mind but i really didn't like the beta much at all.
I started having more fun with the beta when I played it differently stuck around teammates didn't try to lone wolf too much. I also started using the yellow dude with the revolver who can self heal and was doing good with him.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Can't make a comment without comparing it to an Xbox game? Seek help
I don’t think Redfall or Hellblade 2 took 8 years to make either. I’ll agree that both are bad. But Concord is easily the biggest joke of them.

And always bringing up Gaf GotY Halo Infinite still surprises me.

It’s like James can’t let Sony take an L for anything. I admire the fanboy commitment though.

I don’t think Redfall or Hellblade 2 took 8 years to make either. I’ll agree that both are bad. But Concord is easily the biggest joke of them.

And always bringing up Gaf GotY Halo Infinite still surprises me.

It’s like James can’t let Sony take an L for anything. I admire the fanboy commitment though.

They can proudly take the L on concord. I want it to fail

But its failure isn’t even close to those others, and that’s truth. A new studio with no prior work dying isn’t going to leave anyone upset

Again you are talking shite. FIFA one of the most popular games on the planet has been doing it since at least 2014 and Battlefield have been doing it with their dlc for a similar time. But its only become popular in the last year according to you because reasons.

Devs do it because money, nothing more.

If you can’t tell it’s got more popular this year, you’re blind. There’s a reason it didn’t get really popular from Battlefield or FIFA.

Nydius

You say this with confidence but, again, I point to the fact that, in the face of overwhelming public negativity, Sony went full speed ahead with their marketing including releasing limited edition Concord themed hardware — something they haven’t even done for their staple, multimillion copy seller Horizon games.

Someone at Sony believed Concord was going to be a tentpole franchise to carry multiplayer gaming on the platform. This was obviously supposed to be the foundational game of their now-revised GaaS push.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
You say this with confidence but, again, I point to the fact that, in the face of overwhelming public negativity, Sony went full speed ahead with their marketing including releasing limited edition Concord themed hardware — something they haven’t even done for their staple, multimillion copy seller Horizon games.

Someone at Sony believed Concord was going to be a tentpole franchise to carry multiplayer gaming on the platform. This was obviously supposed to be the foundational game of their now-revised GaaS push.
Sony purchased a whole dev company, because they wanted this game. And people say expectations were low, lol.

You say this with confidence but, again, I point to the fact that, in the face of overwhelming public negativity, Sony went full speed ahead with their marketing including releasing limited edition Concord themed hardware

These are negotiated and planned well in advance of when the game was unveiled this summer

Yes, Sony wants their games to do well. They are still committed to “launching” Concord despite the lack of enthusiasm from consumers.

They will probably be forced to pack it in with ps plus or make it f2p

Kokoloko85

Kokoloko85 Kokoloko85 , by comparison, is at least posting his impressions of the game and its various modes.
Been playing it for a few hours today again. Turned Cross play on to see how it is and its fine. Ive lost about half my matches. Pretty balanced and it normally mixes the teams between PC/PS. Playing with a few people with mics is better. Probably like other games, you gotta keep changing characters as the opposite team adjusts to your team tactics and getting use to that, but fun.

Still would maybe describe it is baby’s first hero shooter.

So far Id like an option to vote for the next map. And also sometimes the spawns are right, and sometimes they are miles away, I think it seems to do this if your team is winning. Not sure, but Id like that changed.

As much as I enjoy it, I doubt it will sell well or score too well. FP2/PS+ would help it after the seasons are out or before hand? I dont know how long these games last etc, or what keeps them going.
I just hope they get another lead character designer next game, the gameplay developers deserve better.

Last edited:

Ogbert

Gold Member
They can proudly take the L on concord. I want it to fail

But its failure isn’t even close to those others, and that’s truth. A new studio with no prior work dying isn’t going to leave anyone upset
It’s a fucking enormous flop.

Sony’s redirect towards GaaS is based around this type of title. And it’s complete AIDS.

8 years, tens of millions and it will sell next to nothing.

clarky

Gold Member
Why did it just this year get really popular then? You move it

I'd hardly call around 20 releases out of thousands this year "really popular" and looks like only one of those is from MS this year.

Last year i think there was around 12. 2 of which where from MS, why is it those 2 particular title that are at fault?

The year before? looks like only EA and Activision.

Fifa has had paid early access since 2015, Battlefield has had paid early access in one form or another for a simiar amount of time, very popular titles.

I think Forza 4 was the first title MS did it with back in 2018, i could be wrong though but thats the one i remember.

One more time Microsoft didnt start this trend nor did they popularize it, that would be EA if anyone.

The reason its getting more popular is publishers like money. MS are just part of the problem not the reason for it.

Sorry for the derail chaps, back on topic. Concords out of the early access period tomorrow cant wait for 100 threads about the CCU :)

Last edited:

Ogbert

Gold Member
You think Redfall is better than Concord? Really?

Comedy Central Lol GIF
This is like a tallest dwarf competition.

Redfall was a more interesting premise. I got bored and dropped it after around 90 minutes.

Concord wasn’t even interesting for a few minutes. It would have been unoriginal a decade ago. A tired, derivative hero shooter.

clarky

Gold Member
I dunno what he was suggesting. Nothing controversial in what I’ve said
DenchDeckard DenchDeckard can correct me if im wrong but i read his post as:

" i can be a fanboy at times and rightfully get pulled up about it, but you're worse"

Then you reponded with redfall vs concord which kinda renforced his point lol.

*not saying i agree thats just how i read his post.

Last edited:
Top Bottom