• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord real open beta is live

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Only about 5:00 EST so will see how high it gets

7O6iFgD.png

"FUCK BLIZZARD FOR MAKING OVERWATCH F2P!"

"FUCK SONY FOR NOT MAKING CONCORD F2P!"

People threw a fit when Overwatch 2 went F2P and review bombed it to hell. Now people are throwing a fit that Sony isn't making Concord F2P.

Make up your minds.
Of course people will get angry when their paid game is converted into a F2P hellscape. Does that surprise you?

The landscape for online games like this has significantly changed since OW1's release. There's much more competition now. It's hard to sell a game like this when there's so many F2P alternatives. If Concord was amazing, trumping any F2P option, I'd happily pay 40 bucks or whatever they charged. It looks like shit though, and so many seem to think F2P is the only viable option for them.

There's no contradiction between these two positions.

StereoVsn

I think we really need to wait and see the weekend numbers before casting judgement… but even with that I can’t see this game going over 5-7k.

StueyDuck

Released an hour apart and the overwatch 2 story video dwarfs the concord story video in terms of views and likes.

I couldn't care less about either game, they both have the same shitty things going for them. it just seems a shame about concord because the game part as in the pointing and shooting part seems like it was made by genuinely talented developers/designers and all the other departments are absolutely shitting the bed.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

Released an hour apart and the overwatch 2 story video dwarfs the concord story video in terms of views and likes.

I couldn't care less about either game, they both have the same shitty things going for them. it just seems a shame about concord because the game part as in the pointing and shooting part seems like it was made by genuinely talented developers/designers and all the other departments are absolutely shitting the bed.

This new Overwatch Hero being playable from tomorrow looks kinda like a deliberate shot at the Concord beta. It'll drag some people away.

Nydius

The landscape for online games like this has significantly changed since OW1's release. There's much more competition now. It's hard to sell a game like this when there's so many F2P alternatives. If Concord was amazing, trumping any F2P option, I'd happily pay 40 bucks or whatever they charged. It looks like shit though, and so many seem to think F2P is the only viable option for them.

100% on point.

It's not just that it costs $40 but also, on console, requires PS+ to be able to access which its direct F2P competitors do not.

There is a potentially competent game here but the more I played it the more I found myself asking why I'd want to spend $40 and maintain a PS+ subscription in order to play what is a clearly inferior Overwatch 2 clone when I could just play actual Overwatch 2 completely free. If Concord were launching with a full fledged single player story or coop PVE mode that would at least differentiate it from its competitors. But it's not. It's Great Value Overwatch 2 without battle passes. If it wants to succeed its going to need a solid content release roadmap -- a near constant cadence of heroes, maps, modes -- and not just the promised weekly story cutscene drops.

clarky

Gold Member
No you didn't. Nobody on NeoGAF, not a single person from what I can tell, thinks this is a guaranteed success.

You have fabricated your own reality. You have been judged.
I could pull up a few more but here you go.

Hmmmm. So.

First things first, sort your button prompts out on PC not everyone plays with a DS4.

First impressions are........ not great. This is literally Destiny crucible crossed with overwatch. Which brings all the things wrong with those games with it.

This is DOA imo. Will continue to play and maybe it will grow on me but this does nothing of note. Don't think the preorder will last the weekend.

There’s games for people like you

Go play CoD

You're free to have your own opinion and dislike it

But I don't think anyone can deny the quality. Is absolutely is top-class tier mechanics, even if you don't prefer that style of game.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
No you didn't. Nobody on NeoGAF, not a single person from what I can tell, thinks this is a guaranteed success.

You have fabricated your own reality. You have been judged.

You did, once upon a time. We had that talk right after Helldivers 2 took the world by storm and you were adamant that the rest of their GaaS portfolio would follow suit as solid hits.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You did, once upon a time. We had that talk right after Helldivers 2 took the world by storm and you were adamant that the rest of their GaaS portfolio would follow suit as solid hits.

That's true, but we're talking about a thread that was made a week ago when everyone's expectations dropped considerably. I was certain it was going to be an open world, modern multiplayer game considering development started after the Battle Royale revolution of 2017. (I was obviously wrong on that)

I still think this has a chance to grab a smaller, though still healthy, playerbase after it goes F2P.

Last edited:

Nydius

Astrobot is a bunt. Analytics say the home run is more valuable. PlayStation isn't winning anything with bunts.

In this poor baseball analogy, are you actively arguing that Concord is going to be a "home run"?

Even fan-oriented sites like Push Square are crapping all over Concord. Those are people who are wholly invested in PlayStation and have a significant PlayStation bias. Even they're calling this a dud. If the game can't connect with a biased audience, there's no way it's going to be a home run. By the time Sony realizes their only attempt to claw back any profitability is by moving to F2P, most of the interested playerbase will be long gone.

And as a lifelong baseball fan, let me just say: Don't put all your faith in analytics.
Sometimes that bunt scores more quality runs than a home run would.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
"FUCK BLIZZARD FOR MAKING OVERWATCH F2P!"

It was actually FUCK BLIZZARD FOR TRYING TO MAKE THE OVERWATCH USERBASE MIGRATE TO THE SEQUEL BY OBSOLETING THE ORIGINAL which I would say is completely valid. The original, by the way, having one of the fairer monetization schemes of a GAAS so of course that isn't going to fly moving forward.

bender

What time is it?
Loot. boxes.

Yes, loot boxes that could be earned freely that didn't require a paid mechanism to open them and the event loot boxes always contained content from the previous years events (Halloween, Summer Games, etc.). They only content that required one to pay was charity events (Mercy cancer fundraiser skin or Overwatch League stuff). If you played regularly it wasn't difficult to collect all of the content the game had to offer without spending money which is why they dumped the scheme for the sequel. It's also interesting how you glossed over them discontinuing the original which was the majority of the ire towards blizzard and not how the sequel chose to monetize itself. I. guess. I. shouldn't. have. expected. more.

nikos

I just hit ALT+F4 during my second match. Game seems kind of ass. I'll give it one more chance when I'm in more of a mood to play. Didn't feel good though.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
In this poor baseball analogy, are you actively arguing that Concord is going to be a "home run"?
Correction: A poor interpretation of my baseball analogy. Live Service has a higher home run probability, but a higher strikeout probability compared to a bunt. Analytics have shown bunts decreased in value over time because they don't contribute largely to winning baseball. Heisenberg could obviously go into more detail on that.

Concord represents the big Live Service swing. In baseball, as in Live Service, the misses are expected to a certain degree.
Even fan-oriented sites like Push Square are crapping all over Concord. Those are people who are wholly invested in PlayStation and have a significant PlayStation bias. Even they're calling this a dud. If the game can't connect with a biased audience, there's no way it's going to be a home run. By the time Sony realizes their only attempt to claw back any profitability is by moving to F2P, most of the interested playerbase will be long gone.
Push Square is low brow fanboy media designed purely for clicks. You get clicks by trashing GAAS not by defending them. The PlayStation audience online overwhelmingly prefers single player to PvP multiplayer.
And as a lifelong baseball fan, let me just say: Don't put all your faith in analytics.
Sometimes that bunt scores more quality runs than a home run would.
No strategy is perfect, but there's a reason every MLB team today has an analytics department. The outliers don't outweigh the percentages.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Correction: A poor interpretation of my baseball analogy. Live Service has a higher home run probability, but a higher strikeout probability compared to a bunt. Analytics have shown bunts decreased in value over time because they don't contribute largely to winning baseball. Heisenberg could obviously go into more detail on that.

Concord represents the big Live Service swing. In baseball, as in Live Service, the misses are expected to a certain degree.

Push Square is low brow fanboy media designed purely for clicks. You get clicks by trashing GAAS not by defending them. The PlayStation audience online overwhelmingly prefers single player to PvP multiplayer.

No strategy is perfect, but there's a reason every MLB team today has an analytics department. The outliers don't outweigh the percentages.
Baseball is probably the most stat based sport out there. When coaches have done left/right matchups for ages it goes to show even something simple like that can lead to big outcomes. No other sport does that…. We’ll if a football or hockey player throws/shoots left vs opposing players who are opposite etc….

Analytics in every sport is awesome. Not perfect but cool stuff. Baseball does it to a tee. Hockey is different. Once the playoffs start, things get thrown out the window as momentum and change of play style take over

Bunts, sacrifice hits, and old school low power + base stealing have all dropped like a rock since I followed baseball in the 80s. Power hitting took over. So did power pitching. It’s amazing. It you look at roster and team stats of teams in the 80s compared to modern day it’s night and day play style.

"Trashing." Push square recent scores for live service games: XDefiant - 7 out of 10, Good. Zenless Zone Zero - 8 out of 10, Great. Sea of Thieves - 9 out of 10, Excellent.

Top Bottom