• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord real open beta is live

The game is a lot of fun. People are just so blinded by their culture war bullshit that two words in the upper corner of the character select screen ruins the game for them. I've put in about 5 hours last weekend and will hit the level cap this weekend and will be playing it on launch.
The same reductive argument over and over.

The pronoun thing is the least of its problems.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Apparently it did for some.
Have mentioned this before but including the test server I have over 800 hours in ARK Survival Evolved so its not for me to tell others what game to enjoy but the vast majority of gamers seemed united this game as presently shown was in trouble

The game is a lot of fun. People are just so blinded by their culture war bullshit that two words in the upper corner of the character select screen ruins the game for them. I've put in about 5 hours last weekend and will hit the level cap this weekend and will be playing it on launch.
Lets just say its 100% because of culture war BS (for me its not) haven't we seen enough by now that subject hurting games enough that you would think devs would stop trying to force it upon gamers?

Game had a chance 5+ years ago but I said this before and stand by it

This is the type of game that gets people fired and studios closed and then people rush to social media "Oh the poor people who lost their jobs"

RoboFu

One of the green rats
As i said in a different topic...it's weird that so many people is rooting for a game to flop. A game developed by a new studio that could potentially close them and another wave of layoffs could happen as well.

Like...imagine refreshing Steam over and over and celebrating a game failing in front of you lmao.

Yeah can you imagine......

DAHGAMING

People need to calm down, if you dont like or need this type of game, it's okay, really. No need to climb your keyboard and try to make sure everybody sees your opinion, Or try to destroy the game just because you dont like it. Just dont play it and move on. i just downloaded the beta, will try it tonight.

peace

diffusionx

Gold Member

I really wanted Shartfield to be awesome. It’s a real bummer the game sucked but I’m not going to not pile on when it becomes clear.

As for this game, seems like three years late. Even if it was the best playing game of its type (and it might be, Overwatch is garbage), it probably isn’t enough. Major misstep from Sony especially since they’ve shown no compunction about axing stuff.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Hey guys check out our hero shooter that we spent 6 years and $60 million developing. Preorder now and we’ll even let you play the beta!

Group-KV-(2).jpeg

StereoVsn

huh? Before release? Every single topic on that game was negative:

"This looks boring as fuck", "This trailer sucks", "This looks cringe", etc...let's not re-write history. People were mad Sony was about to release a live service game with that one as well. Go and check every single topic on that game before release. The general public was interested in it after release but it was a sudden success like Palworld (to a lesser extend).
Once Beta hit a lot of people liked it, I thought, bugs and all. Doesn’t seem the case here. Now, weekend hasn’t really hit so numbers should go up, but probably not significantly.

Because it was something different.

Concord already lost by having a Woke roster of characters. And being a hero shooter, it's basically the perfect storm.

Edit:
Tbh, in terms of polish and quality, Concord>>>>>>HD2
Oh, sure. But the art direction, game concept and all things around the game do matter. Which Helldivers illustrated perfectly.

With Concord all of that went to shit. Higher ups are trying to shoehorn “modern game design” crap and gamers aren’t interested.

Helldivers 2 is a co-op game about space bugs that you can in fact play alone, even if ill-advised. Kinda a different thing than yet another comp shooter. Despite being technically GAAS it wasn't checking the typical GAAS checkboxes that make them feel like a genre. It differentiated itself filling a need basically being a couch co-op game that worked using servers.

But that’s the point, right? Who wants another hero shooter with terrible character designs and apparently nothing special gameplay (not bad, not amazing).

Have mentioned this before but including the test server I have over 800 hours in ARK Survival Evolved so its not for me to tell others what game to enjoy but the vast majority of gamers seemed united this game as presently shown was in trouble

Lets just say its 100% because of culture war BS (for me its not) haven't we seen enough by now that subject hurting games enough that you would think devs would stop trying to force it upon gamers?

Game had a chance 5+ years ago but I said this before and stand by it

This is the type of game that gets people fired and studios closed and then people rush to social media "Oh the poor people who lost their jobs"
Yep, and that’s what’s really bad about it. Regular devs in the trenches will be hurt and the upper management will hop on another game production to ruin.

I enjoyed my time with it. I don't see any point continuing with a game that's dead before arrival. The servers won't even last a year.

Last edited:

BigBeauford

If people can dismiss Days Gone because "generic white guy", people can also dismiss a game for only having one white guy (in retarded hockey pads no less).

Two different situations. Starfield came from a company that has a huge history of releasing great games and franchises like Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom, etc.

The game was basically being called "Skyrim in space", came from a huge studio, after countless delays, one major acquisition and had a lot to prove...and people ended up criticizing the game for not releasing like the masterpiece they expected.

Concord comes from a new studio and the main criticism around places like GAF isn't even that the game is bad. It's pronouns, Overwatch-clone, mix of Overwatch and Destiny etc.

I can count with one hand how many people here actually criticized the game itself and specially the gameplay (which seems solid from what i heard).

That said...i'm actually realizing we're witnessing a shift in gaming and other entertaining forms. The non-binary characters, the marvel-type of writing, etc...has reached a point that it's actually turning people off instead of making them interested. And this game just took too long to come out.

I seriously hope if this flops the studio doesn't close cause it seems like they have a lot of talent to make a great FPS and Sony clearly needs that in their portfolio right now. Not many new studios could pull off a decent FPS online game on their first try even with money and it seems deep down, this game shows talent from the studio.

The first Halo wasn't the best game from the franchise, Destiny wasn't the best one from that franchise, COD's first entry wasn't their best as well.

Hopefully Sony can keep these guys around and give them a shot of making something they really want next instead of chasing trends from last decade.

Last edited:

fallingdove

I don’t want to be a number Sony can brag about having 1 million or whatever people playing the beta .

I don’t want to give them that . Let them shove that diversity of an ugly characters and game up their ass . Not gonna touch it

What a waste of bandwidth

Sony to me either go full on good single player games with plenty of unique IPs and Japanese games or get the fuck out . I am not supporting this shit and I hope it flops
Kind of a stupid position to take.

Single player games are extremely expensive to make, represent thin margins even if they are moderately successful, and have very little staying power.

As a single player game lover myself. I need some of these GaaS games to be successful in the same way I need two door sports car companies to find success with an endless fleet of SUVs and crossovers. They finance the things I care about most.

I don’t get the sense that Sony has ever wanted to go full GaaS but they DO need the revenue GaaS games represent if we want any shot at having access to 20-30 hour single player titles with amazing experiences that require 5+ years development and $150M+ investment with little to no MTX. That’s just the way it is.

NickFire

The people cancelling this game over pronouns on one screen are absolutely no different than the woke idiots who boycotted Hogwarts Legacy. It's two sides of the same coin of stupid.
Knock that stupid nonsense off. No one is cancelling the game. Just saying no thank you. Already said no thank you to countless others. If people don’t like to listen that’s on them. If people are mentally ill and keep pushing out the same failures that’s between them and their doctors.

Comparing rejection with an outright campaign to cancel Hogwarts, ie refuse to say name in many media outlets, banning any mention of name on certain forums, is beyond the pale of intellectual honesty.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Once Beta hit a lot of people liked it, I thought, bugs and all. Doesn’t seem the case here. Now, weekend hasn’t really hit so numbers should go up, but probably not significantly.
Most people who played it seem to like it (the gameplay at least), the problem is that most people don't even bother to try it.
Oh, sure. But the art direction, game concept and all things around the game do matter. Which Helldivers illustrated perfectly.

With Concord all of that went to shit. Higher ups are trying to shoehorn “modern game design” crap and gamers aren’t interested.
Nobody here is arguing against that. I think it's safe to say that everybody st least agrees that they fucked up the reveal and that it created the issue they encounter right now.

The biggest question is how Firewalk is going to move on from here on out?

Last edited:

BigBeauford

What I find so utterly cynical about Concord, is the same idea that the NFL has with its halftime shows. The NFL product is very appealing to its core demographic, so much so that they know they can get away with half-time shows their core audience detests because no one is going to stop watching.

Same assumption the Concorde developers made. They know the core audience is white heterosexual males. But they made the mistake of thinking their product, the gameplay, could carry hard enough to encase it with an enormous amount of intersectional nonsense.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Let them stsrt listening to people, not trends...
Following trends IS listening to people.

"The numbers say a lot of people enjoy this particular game type. We should try something here."

Or is the issue they're not listening to you specifically?

Jaybe

Gold Member
This. People are refusing to try it and already decided to boycott it even before beta due to the pronouns on ONE SCREEN.
You mean the character select screen that has no white characters? They argue that games need representation and then fail to represent the largest market in gaming. And it’s by design. The lead character director at Firewalk seems on a mission to unburden himself from all the white guilt he’s been carrying.

This. People are refusing to try it and already decided to boycott it even before beta due to the pronouns on ONE SCREEN.
No it isn't. It's the obvious corporate "the others are selling skins, let's do it too" aspect of it.

It doesn't play particularly well either. It's slow with sludgy gunplay.

The maps are boring. Nothing in them reacts to the player.

The character designs are poor.

The rewards are boring.

No one cares about cutscenes in multiplayer games. This is one of their grand differentiators.

The game modes are derivative.

It costs 40 dollar/euros when there are games that are arguably superior available for free.

You spend as much time in character selection screens as you do playing the game.

And lastly, the pronoun thing. It's a problem for some people I'm sure. I don't give a shit about it. If the characters were at least cool looking and not "generic alien #2287 with a life preserver" they might have made an impact. There's absolutely no defending the ugly designs they've gone for here.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The people cancelling this game over pronouns on one screen are absolutely no different than the woke idiots who boycotted Hogwarts Legacy. It's two sides of the same coin of stupid.
Stop pretending like the pronouns are the only thing people objected to.

- looks like “we have Guardians of the Galaxy at home”

- cringe Marvel style quippy dialog

- hideous “modern audiences” character design

- a genre that is pretty much saturated and people are getting tired of it

- the disappointment of seeing a first-party studio chasing a trend that got stale years ago and making design-by-committee slop instead of doing something bold and innovative

The pronouns are just the shit icing on the shit cake. The trailer looked stupid as hell and then when we finally got to the gameplay and saw the pronouns it was like “yeah…. of course they put the fucking pronouns on the character select screen, why am I not surprised?” It’s emblematic of the kind of modern entertainment turd this game is, it’s not the ONLY thing people objected to. Far from it.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
A lot of people like myself don't want to try it because it looks like they tried to take a little Overwatch and sprinkle in some Destiny and made the TTK take 475 hits to kill someone

A lot of people don't want to try it because its a "Who asked for this game in 2024?"

A lot of people don't want to try it because they are asking $40 for a game that obviously needs to be F2P in this climate

Sonik

Following trends IS listening to people.

"The numbers say a lot of people enjoy this particular game type. We should try something here."

Or is the issue they're not listening to you specifically?

When people say trends nowadays they don't mean trends that are actually representative of real people out there, they mean social media trends that have been shaped and manipulated by a bunch of blue-haired San Francisco catladies through mass censorship and outright manipulation of algorithms

BigBeauford

You mean the character select screen that has no white characters? They argue that games need representation and then fail to represent the largest market in gaming. And it’s by design. The lead character director at Firewalk seems on a mission to unburden himself from all the white guilt he’s been carrying.

Exactly; this game is sending an explicit message. Most reasonable people don't care about the existence of people of color in the game. It's the absence of a demographic that's telling.

Jaybe

Gold Member
No one cares about cutscenes in multiplayer games. This is one of their grand differentiators.
What’s wild is the high budget cinematic at the state of play turned a bunch of people off, being a knock-off guardians of the galaxy with even worse quips, and yet they want to do weekly cutscenes. That’s an expensive proposition and basically what the $40 asking price is going towards funding. They should have cut that from scope and made it free to play.

Last edited:
What’s wild is the high budget cinematic at the state of play turned a bunch of people off, being a knock-off guardians of the galaxy with even worse quips, and yet they want to do weekly cutscenes. That’s an expensive proposition and basically what the $40 asking price is going towards funding. They should have cut that from scope and made it free to play.
If they really wanted people to care about this universe and characters they should have spent that money on a single player experience.

You can't sell skins for that though.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Lol just joined a discussion in the official Discord and said that low CCU on Steam was because Firewalk made the mistake of going Woke.

Instantly got flamed for "betting against the game" and being a "bigot".

Cant say anything objective anywhere without people getting their panties twisted.
Welcome to 2024

Ogbert

It’s a tired, derivative, boring multiplayer game that would have been outdated five years ago. The pronoun stuff just compounds an already rubbish product.

There is zero point investing time in this game. It’s done much better elsewhere.

Dead on arrival.

Top Bottom