• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord real open beta is live

Killjoy-NL

I find matches in seconds at any hour of the day, that's enough for me, i can only play with other 3 people at once, i don't need 400.000 people constantly playing the game.
Ironically, Concord beta is almost the same as HD2 in that regard rn.šŸ˜¶

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Nobody gave a fuck about FFXIV either when it launched.

Things can change. That's the benefit of Gaas.

But like I said, that's up to Firewalk and Sony, if they will try to appease the majority or go down this path to please a minority (Woke).
Ff14 got a huge rehaul\expansion to get really famous if memory serve me well.

I really don't see what they can do with concord to make it vastly better tbh.

Killjoy-NL

Ff14 got a huge rehaul\expansion to get really famous if memory serve me well.

I really don't see what they can do with concord to make it vastly better tbh.
Same was probably said about FFXIV at launch.
Fortnite as well, btw. It originally was Save the World.

Again, Gaas can always change. The question is what Sony/Firewalk will do.

Fbh

Gold Member
Damn so where are the tens of thousands of players I was told this Beta would have once you no longer needed to preorder to access it?

Why do people think every multiplayer shooter should be free to play? And then we have cod which nobody bats an eyelid when people buy the same rehashed shit every year?

Because there are a lot of compelling and popular options in the F2P segment, from Fortnite to Apex Legends, Overwatch 2, Valorant, Counter Strike 2 and several more.
It doesn't mean charging for the game will instantly make it DOA, but it's sure going to be an uphill battle as you need to present something that looks so compelling that people will choose it over all the popular F2P options.

COD can "get away with it" because they've build a massively popular brand and a giant audience over the last 20 years. If Activision tried to launch COD in 2024 as a brand new IP they'd probably also face an uphill battle charging $70 for it.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Same was probably said about FFXIV at launch.
Fortnite as well, btw. It originally was Save the World.

Again, Gaas can always change. The question is what Sony/Firewalk will do.
I mean, if we are optimists, every game can find success...maybe microsoft is gonna give redfall to another developer and in 2 years from now it's gonna be the most played game on steam...

We can only speak for what the game is now (i know i did it for hd2, but that one already had his share of success, it's already a successful game even if it fail tomorrow)

Hd2 didn't needed any rehaul to be successful, it was immediately palatable.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

I mean, if we are optimists, every game can find success...maybe microsoft is gonna give redfall to another developer and in 2 years from now it's gonna be the most played game on steam...

We can only speak for what the game is now.

Hd2 didn't needed any rehaul to be successful, it was immediately palatable.
And some Gaas titles aren't, even the popular ones like FFXIV, Fortnite, NMS and Warframe.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Damn so where are the tens of thousands of players I was told this Beta would have once you no longer needed to preorder to access it?
Even with these numbers showing right now the game can't get any traction

32,858,875 Online | 10,052,897 In-Game

Granted the numbers will go up over this weekend and will be very curious what its peak will be

Plus before someone jumps in and says its only Friday before noon here in the EST of the US we will revisit that when COD has its actual closed beta the first weekend on Friday Aug 30th and see its numbers

GymWolf

Gold Member
You were right, but in turn you show the irony in your stance regarding Concord.
Nope because we are talking about a game that is not released yet and people should be fucking curious to try it when it's fucking gratis and another game that already had his share of success and it's not the hottest new shit anymore.

There is a big difference between concord doing shit numbers and hd2 not having 200.000 players anymore after months of success and after having 1000% more success than anyone expected.

One look like a certified bomba, the other look like what happen to most gaas games, even the great ones.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Even with these numbers showing right now the game can't get any traction

32,858,875 Online | 10,052,897 In-Game

Granted the numbers will go up over this weekend and will be very curious what its peak will be

Plus before someone jumps in and says its only Friday before noon here in the EST of the US we will revisit that when COD has its actual closed beta the first weekend on Friday Aug 30th and see its numbers
I don't see the game reaching 5K ccu on Steam.

All Firewalk can do is figure out what tk do next and hopefully for them and Concord numbers on Playstation are good enough.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Played 30 mins on steam. Runs ok so thats the only good thing. The gameplay tho? Lmfao heroe abilities are made for team play yet the entire game and map design is ANYTHING BUT TEAMPLAY. Everyone is 1v1'ing and essentially all the assassin heroes are destroying everyone. Character designs are horrible as shit. Ive never seen such garbage designs in my entire life. Even f2p you'd have to suck my balls dry to make me play this.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Played 30 mins on steam. Runs ok so thats the only good thing. The gameplay tho? Lmfao heroe abilities are made for team play yet the entire game and map design is ANYTHING BUT TEAMPLAY. Everyone is 1v1'ing and essentially all the assassin heroes are destroying everyone. Character designs are horrible as shit. Ive never seen such garbage designs in my entire life. Even f2p you'd have to suck my balls dry to make me play this.
What if they also suck you toes clean?

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Nope because we are talking about a game that is not released yet and people should be fucking curious to try it when it's fucking gratis and another game that already had his share of success and it's not the hottest new shit anymore.

There is a big difference between concord doing shit numbers and hd2 not having 200.000 players anymore after months of success and after having 1000% more success than anyone expected.

One look like a certified bomba, the other look like what happen to most gaas games, even the great ones.
I never disagreed with that, did I?

Just saying your logic for HD2, ie "3 other players is all I need" applies to Concord as well.
LOoking at it like that, Concord performs the same as HD2, down to the queue times of matchmaking from my experience with HD2 and the Concord beta.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
People saying that Helldivers 2 crashed and burnedā€¦ What are you doing people. You couldnā€™t log in for days on end because of server capacity. They sold more than 12 million copies. You matchmake in seconds if you go in the game right now and have a full team at anytime.

Itā€™s not world of Warcraft, sure, it was never meant to be.

Helldivers 2 was an insanely successful game. Like worldwide phenomenon.

20 thousand concurrent players is pretty damn decent and 450K is gangbusters level!

Helldivers 2 was really something else. Claiming it crashed and burned is insanity.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
What if they also suck you toes clean?

season 1 ap bio GIF by NBC

Im sure Sony has the analytics and performance metrics by the end of this beta. Wonder if they will do a Destruction Allstars with it. There comes a point where defeat is preferable to humiliation.

clarky

Gold Member
That was my first impression last weekend. It does get a bit better the more you play but the maps are boring as shit and its ridiculously unbalanced.

Its either steamroll or be steamrolled and with no penalty quitters and no squad fill (at least i never did with me) its a fairly miserable experience. Every now and again you get half decent match, but they few and far between.

I can imagine with 2 full parties with everyone knowing what's what this would play pretty good after a load of tweaks. But in the wild thats not how 90% of the community plays.

Entirely forgettable.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That was my first impression last weekend. It does get a bit better the more you play but the maps are boring as shit and its ridiculously unbalanced.

Its either steamroll or be steamrolled and with no penalty quitters and no squad fill (at least i never did with me) its a fairly miserable experience. Every now and again you get half decent match, but they few and far between.

I can imagine with 2 full parties with everyone knowing what's what this would play pretty good after a load of tweaks. But in the wild thats not how 90% of the community plays.

Entirely forgettable.
To fix wonky lobbies in any shooter, it's such an easy fix

- Punish quitters with losses and bans if they quit too much. Even COD does this (at least so I heard since I never quit enough to ever get banned)
- Fill in teams with join-in-progress gamers
- Nobody likes joining a losing team (that's why there was a hole to plug as gamers already quit that team), so just dont count any losses if you join a match on progress. Again COD does this. Long time ago, you'd get the loss, but not now

Last edited:

Terenty

People wondering why other people are celebrating this game flopping hard are either retarded or trolls.

Of course we are fucking happy this shit blows up in the face of these lunatics (activists pretending to be devs) who belong in a nuthouse, but for some reason think they can lecture their customers on what to think and how to behave.

Fuck them in the ass with a Concord at full speed. Though they will probably enjoy it

clarky

Gold Member
To fix wonky lobbies in any shooter, it's such an easy fix

- Punish quitters with losses and bans if they quit too much. Even COD does this (at least so I heard since I never quit enough to ever get banned)
- Fill in teams with join-in-progress gamers
- Nobody likes joining a losing team (that's why there was a hole to plug as gamers already quit that team), so just dont count any losses if you join a match on progress. Again COD does this. Long time ago, you'd get the loss, but not now
Yup, very simple yet not implemented in this. You'd have thought with all the experience of PVP this team has it would be a given.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
huh? Before release? Every single topic on that game was negative:

"This looks boring as fuck", "This trailer sucks", "This looks cringe", etc...let's not re-write history. People were mad Sony was about to release a live service game with that one as well. Go and check every single topic on that game before release. The general public was interested in it after release but it was a sudden success like Palworld (to a lesser extend).

You mean like this pre-release thread, where the vast majority of comments are very positive?

//DEVIL//

Kind of a stupid position to take.

Single player games are extremely expensive to make, represent thin margins even if they are moderately successful, and have very little staying power.

As a single player game lover myself. I need some of these GaaS games to be successful in the same way I need two door sports car companies to find success with an endless fleet of SUVs and crossovers. They finance the things I care about most.

I donā€™t get the sense that Sony has ever wanted to go full GaaS but they DO need the revenue GaaS games represent if we want any shot at having access to 20-30 hour single player titles with amazing experiences that require 5+ years development and $150M+ investment with little to no MTX. Thatā€™s just the way it is.
Sorry. Itā€™s not my problem whether the game is expensive to make or not. I donā€™t feel empathy for companies. With all respect only stupid people do.

I donā€™t need to buy gaas game for them to make a profit. No one told them to hire all these useless purple-headed cancel and woke people that drive the costs up.

During the PS4 and PS3 days, we got 2 or 3 sequels per generation of games. Now we getting shit ( where is the naughty dog game since 2020 ? )

A single-player game doesnā€™t have to be super expensive for me to enjoy it. Steller Blade was fun and looked awesome and itā€™s not even close to the development cost of any of Sony running by woke team studios.

This isnā€™t for Sony. MS is in the same boat. All Western devs are like that. I will not pay Sony the money to hire these idiots as an excuse the development cost is too high.

This game is a copycat from games that were released 10 years ago with so off and ugly to even look at characters that even a trailer that is supposed to hype the game up is complete shit in my eyes.

This game is a straight flop even if itā€™s free. And on top of that Sony is trying to get money out of it for greed purposes when itā€™s clearly an ftp game. lol good luck

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sorry . Itā€™s not my problem the game is expensive to make or not. I donā€™t feel empathy to companies . With all respect only stupid people do.

I donā€™t need to buy gaas game for them to make a profit . No one told them to hire all these useless purple headed cancel and woke people that drive the costs up.

During the ps4 and ps3 days we get 2 or 3 sequels per generation of games . Now we getting shit ( where is naughty dog game since 2020 ? )

Single player game doesnā€™t have to be super expensive for me to enjoy it . Steller blade was fun and looked awesome and itā€™s not even close to development cost of any of Sony running by woke team studios .

This isnā€™t for Sony. MS is in the same boat . All western devs are like that. I will not pay Sony the money to hire these idiots as an excuse the development cost is too high.

This game is a copycat from games were released 10 years ago with so off and ugly to even look at characters that even a trailer that is supposed to hype the game up is complete shit in my eyes .

This game is a straight flop even if itā€™s free . And on top that Sony is trying to get money out of it for greed purposes when itā€™s clearly a ftp game . lol good luck
It's crazy.

During the 360/PS3 gen, we'd get rock solid sequels every 2-3 years for SP games. Even for shooter games you'd get sequels frequently too. Not annualized like COD, but again every 2-3 years you'd get another solid game with SP and MP modes.

StereoVsn

Nobody gave a fuck about FFXIV either when it launched.

Things can change. That's the benefit of Gaas.

But like I said, that's up to Firewalk and Sony, if they will try to appease the majority or go down this path to please a minority (Woke).
Can you imagine the outcry if they rehaul the ā€œmodern audienceā€ characters? And they would need to change all the CGI.

That drama would be glorious to observe. Now, thatā€™s also probably the only way to save this game, but itā€™s not going to happen.

StereoVsn

I don't see the game reaching 5K ccu on Steam.

All Firewalk can do is figure out what tk do next and hopefully for them and Concord numbers on Playstation are good enough.
Going by HD2 breakdown of PS vs PC numbers, that seems extremely unlikely.

FFXIV is actually a good analogy, as thatā€™s what they need to do to fix the game. Shut it down and work for a year to completely overhaul it.

I just donā€™t see that sort of willingness to do this with Sonyā€™s current leadership. They are too oriented to Quarter on Quarter products vs long term.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Sorry . Itā€™s not my problem the game is expensive to make or not. I donā€™t feel empathy to companies . With all respect only stupid people do.

I donā€™t need to buy gaas game for them to make a profit . No one told them to hire all these useless purple headed cancel and woke people that drive the costs up.

During the ps4 and ps3 days we get 2 or 3 sequels per generation of games . Now we getting shit ( where is naughty dog game since 2020 ? )

Single player game doesnā€™t have to be super expensive for me to enjoy it . Steller blade was fun and looked awesome and itā€™s not even close to development cost of any of Sony running by woke team studios .

This isnā€™t for Sony. MS is in the same boat . All western devs are like that. I will not pay Sony the money to hire these idiots as an excuse the development cost is too high.

This game is a copycat from games were released 10 years ago with so off and ugly to even look at characters that even a trailer that is supposed to hype the game up is complete shit in my eyes .

This game is a straight flop even if itā€™s free . And on top that Sony is trying to get money out of it for greed purposes when itā€™s clearly a ftp game . lol good luck

Lots of misleading stuff here. Any money paid to consultants would be a very small fraction of the total budget. Most cost goes to dev salaries, with tools, software license etc taking up the rest.

Many Asian studios pay lower salaries on average, and demand longer work hours.

Last edited:
Somewhat concerning is a little too optimistic, but I imagine it must be an article by Paul Tassi. He loves to defend this type of game even if it is a certified bomba at release. Those numbers are with the beta being Open to Public... it doesn't take a genius to know those will be lower when it releases and it $40 as the entry barrier.

//DEVIL//

Lots of misleading stuff here. Any money paid to consultants would be a very small fraction of the total budget. Most cost goes to dev salaries, with tools, software license etc taking up the rest.

Many Asian studios pay lower salaries on average, and demand longer work hours.
From the shitty sweet baby inc which is basically a shit place that demand money from everyone just to get approval or they will get socially attacked for lack of LGPTards all the way down to the keyboard warriors that are hired in the studio for sake of diversity and wokeness.

This shit needs to fucking stop . Itā€™s driving the industry to shit . Itā€™s the primary reason dev costs are up . Anyone who says otherwise is a lying sack of shit. Heā€™ll most studios donā€™t even spend money anymore on game engine because itā€™s already either created long time ago or using unreal engine 5. So development costs shouldnā€™t be high at all if it wasnā€™t for those fuckfards

Again, this is just me fighting in this fight and I am one of the very few minority ( there are dozens of us.gif)

To anyone who is actually enjoying the game, more power to you buds and hope you have a great time with it.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
From the shitty sweet baby inc which is basically a shit place that demand money from everyone just to get approval or they will get socially attacked for lack of LGPTards all the way down to the keyboard warriors that are hired in the studio for sake of diversity and wokeness.

This shit needs to fucking stop . Itā€™s driving the industry to shit . Itā€™s the primary reason dev costs are up . Anyone who says otherwise is a laying sack of shit . Heā€™ll most studios donā€™t even spend money anymore on game engine because itā€™s already either created long time ago or using unreal engine 5. So development costs shouldnā€™t be high at all if it wasnā€™t for those fuckfards

Again, this is just me fighting in this fight and I am one of the very few minority ( there are dozens of us.gif)

To anyone who is actually enjoying the game, more power to you buds and hope you have a great time with it.

Again, this is nonsense. Youā€™ve let some jobless internet grifter mislead you down this path.
No serious studio is hiring devs who canā€™t do the job. Merely using UE5 isnā€™t enough to eliminate the bulk of dev costs. Thatā€™s as silly as arguing that Horizon Forbidden West should have been made for cheap since Guerilla owns the engine.

Concord seems to be struggling because theyā€™ve made bets that didnā€™t pan out. From most indications, the gameplay itself is quite good. If it doesnā€™t do enough to stand out from the F2P giants, thatā€™s a different discussion entirely.

Again, this is nonsense. Youā€™ve let some jobless internet grifter mislead you down this path.
No serious studio is hiring devs who canā€™t do the job. Merely using UE5 isnā€™t enough to eliminate the bulk of dev costs. Thatā€™s as silly as arguing that Horizon Forbidden West should have been made for cheap since Guerilla owns the engine.

Concord seems to be struggling because theyā€™ve made bets that didnā€™t pan out. From most indications, the gameplay itself is quite good. If it doesnā€™t do enough to stand out from the F2P giants, thatā€™s a different discussion entirely.
Its not though, it's just ok. Ok is just not good enough to justify it's existence.

Ozriel

M$FT
Its not though, it's just ok. Ok is just not good enough to justify it's existence.

Thatā€™s subjective. I havenā€™t played it myself, which is why Iā€™m citing most of the impressions.

I think the market has decided the game needs to be F2P, though with how few people are trying the beta, itā€™s got to worry Firewalk

Thatā€™s subjective. I havenā€™t played it myself, which is why Iā€™m citing most of the impressions.

I think the market has decided the game needs to be F2P, though with how few people are trying the beta, itā€™s got to worry Firewalk
It may be subjective but the numbers don't lie.

No serious studio is hiring devs who canā€™t do the job.

We know for a fact that's happening in many studios. Amateur-level writers and designers are all over the place. It's a shame that awful artistic decisions, from characters to levels, sabotage a technically good game. Those artists are unfit to do their job, they fail to understand the potential demographics that would buy their game.

It's useless to make a polished game with great graphics if there's nothing appealing in them. The gameplay should be revolutionary so that word of mouth makes up for its first mid impression.

Jakk

I don't understand why they made the movement so slow and floaty. In my opinion it doesn't suit the game at all. All in all, I don't think it's terrible, but it also isn't great by any means. I see no way it's going to survive with so many other FPS games being popular nowadays. If anything, it made me want to play Overwatch again.

nikos

Another game where the gameplay outpaces reload speed.

Feels horrible when you're bobbing and weaving as your gun takes forever to reload, especially when the movement isn't that great to begin with.

diffusionx

Gold Member
If this game is as bad as people say, and I don't really know because I don't care, it makes me wonder what the absolute state of their other games were. Like Factions and the Deviation title and Twisted Metal. Or what they saw in it, including the supposed experts and masters of gaas that they spent $2B to acquire.

Last edited:

Fbh

Gold Member
Played for like 20-30 min before leaving for work.
It was ok, it feels competently made with good performance and pretty good graphics. The gameplay from what I played was fine, the gunplay is solid and the movement is good if a tad too slow (also the TTK is a bit too high IMO).
It's just that, as someone who is only casually into these games, I didn't get why I'd pick this up instead of just playing Overwatch 2, if anything I like the maps, characters and flow of gameplay better in Overwatch

Killjoy-NL

Found this poll on push square.

jnjAXHu.jpeg
So, 26% played it, 17% thought it was at least okay, 11% liked it.

So, out of all who played it ~31% didn't like it and ~42% liked it.
~65% thought it was at least okay.

That means the majority of players is at least somewhat positive and the biggest issue for Firewalk/Playstation is to get people to try it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom