• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT2| I dec-declare this territory owned by the Holy Roman Empire

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Ryback

Results are only viewable after voting.

Marvel

could never
Don't go all in... I'm going backwards through TNA myself and it's awful. At Sting vs Hogan BFG 2011 right now.

I think it is the only one my liberried doesn't have. It doesn't have Never Say Never Again, either, but I watched half of it on Netflix and hated it so whatever. I don't understand why Connery would want to be involved in a remake of Thunderball. He already did that movie and it was way more rad than anything I saw of LOLBONDISOLD NSNA.

I guess since I'm new to actually watching Bond movies and I'm watching them mostly out of order, perhaps I'm more forgiving of stupid shit like a space battle with laser guns.

I can't wait to see what you make of Die Another Day. That's the only other one I legitimately hate.

I like Never Say Never Again more than Octopussy. At least it deals with the fact Bond is getting on in years (which they take way too long to address with Moore). Moore ends up with some women wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too young for him. I have them all on Blu-ray. Got that Bond 50 set for a steal a while back, and Skyfall was worth adding to it.

I guess watching Thunderball and Never Say Never Again in close succession would really hurt the latter. Thunderball is great stuff.

The fight choreography after Connery left took a nose dive until Craig came in and involved himself in the fight scenes as much as Connery did. I love those proper fist fights you get in the early Bond movies before it gets all indie wrestling with Roger Moore doing judo.

strobogo

Banned
Trying to decide if I continue with just watching all wrestling shows (WWE, TNA, ROH, CZW, Chikara, etc) in Chronological order (from 2002 onwards), or if I go all-in with TNA and watch all their shows from 2002-2014.

Both of those sound like terrible projects, friends.

I think the coolest thing about Bond movies is that they actually go all over the world really on location, with ridiculous stunts and shit. These must have been a blast to see when they came out. I mean, a lot of them are still pretty extravagant even by today's standards. Except they actually went places and actually blew shit up instead of using CGI.

Both of those sound like terrible projects, friends.

I think the coolest thing about Bond movies is that they actually go all over the world really on location, with ridiculous stunts and shit. These must have been a blast to see when they came out. I mean, a lot of them are still pretty extravagant even by today's standards. Except they actually went places and actually blew shit up instead of using CGI.

You're going to hate Die Another Day then.

The Daniel Craig movies skew heavily towards practical effects and stunts thank god. Connery probably came back to do a Thunderball remake so he could spend time on a billionaire's yacht, in the French Riviera and in the Bahamas. Who wouldn't want to work on some of these Bond movies?

In Skyfall they smashed a full scale replica of a train car through the tops of one of the sets. Ridiculous stuff.

That and kiddy picture book superheroes.

This. I'm just waiting for the bubble to burst and for Marvel/DC's movie timetable to burn to the ground. Already kinda over superhero movies and the next few years are going to be absolutely full of them, ugh.

I think I'll just re-watch Where Eagle Dare.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If I was obscenely rich, I would buy all the leftover miniature sets from movies in the 70s, 80s, and 90s and keep them.
attachment.php
from the 2000s but based on an idea from the 80s so shutup

Holy fuck, that NDT thread went batshit totally fucking insane. I love you America and I'd like to visit someday, but I'm glad to live in a more secular country where most people say they're Christians because their parents were and generally don't think about religion at all, or have it impact upon their daily lives in any meaningful way.

But the tradeoff is that food in the UK sucks and has no seasoning to it :(
...And also that the drinks are so sugary that they immediately knock diabetics unconscious!

This is from memory, so probably wrong.

2002 - AJ & Jerry Lynn matches/feud/respect; Jarrett attack Fargo and all the other oldies with stupid chairshots
2003 - SEX (I guess Erik Watt was pretty bad)
2004 -
2005 - Raven & Abyss; Sting
2006 - Samoa Joe

...And also that the drinks are so sugary that they immediately knock diabetics unconscious!

What. American saying British drinks are too sugary? What is this madness.

strobogo

Banned
Holy fuck, that NDT thread went batshit totally fucking insane. I love you America and I'd like to visit someday, but I'm glad to live in a more secular country where most people say they're Christians because their parents were and generally don't think about religion at all, or have it impact upon their daily lives in any meaningful way.

You could go all-in with TNA, but why torture yourself?

The majority of Americans are people who say they are Christians because their parents were and generally don't think about religion at all. It's just the ones that aren't are super vocal and crazy about it.

Another cool thing about the Bond series: When they go somewhere, most of the actors are people of color from that area. For a series based on an English spy, made by an English company, there are more people of color than anything you see in movies today. Going to India? 80% of the cast are Indians. Going to Brazil? Hot Brazilian women everywhere. Going to Harlem/Haiti knock off/New Orleans? Black people everywhere...except they're all part of some evil cabal and the only good black person is Bond's boat driver. And the main Bond girl is a white woman. But disregarding the horrible racist nature of Live and Let Die, my point stands.

Speaking of Cesaro, I learned a very interesting (i.e., sad) tidbit listening to the latest Steve Austin podcast.

In it, Steve talks about how heels can't be heels anymore, proven by his conversation with Cesaro. At a recent taping, Austin talked to Cesaro about incorporating more "heel" moves into this repertoire, like the backwards mule kick to the balls (a move you used to see ALL THE TIME in the late '90's) and Cesaro told Austin he'd like to do stuff like that, but management wouldn't allow it. WHAT? *facepalm*

It's possible it was because of the bland food, but when I was in England filming CZW, all the drinks I had were ungodly sweet

You were probably drinking Mountain Dew cos you're American and like wrestling. Corn syrup in everything nearly killed me when I was in America. Came back 14lbs heavier after 2 weeks as I couldn't shit from too much sugar. I wasn't even trying to take on that much sugar, it was just everywhere.

Honey glazed this.
Corn syrup that.
Ice-Cream with your breakfast iHop special

Just madness.

Speaking of Cesaro, I learned a very interesting (i.e., sad) tidbit listening to the latest Steve Austin podcast.

In it, Steve talks about how heels can't be heels anymore, proven by his conversation with Cesaro. At a recent taping, Austin talked to Cesaro about incorporating more "heel" moves into this repertoire, like the backwards mule kick to the balls (a move you used to see ALL THE TIME in the late '90's) and Cesaro told Austin he'd like to do stuff like that, but management wouldn't allow it. WHAT? *facepalm*

Stuff like this... Cesaro can/could still make a good career on the indies, right? Why doesn't he just go all out and do the stuff he knows he should do and see how the crowd reacts? Sure the answer might be 'he'll be fired' or whatever, but it's a shame to see him just float around as nothing.

The majority of Americans are people who say they are Christians because their parents were and generally don't think about religion at all. It's just the ones that aren't are super vocal and crazy about it.

Another cool thing about the Bond series: When they go somewhere, most of the actors are people of color from that area. For a series based on an English spy, made by an English company, there are more people of color than anything you see in movies today. Going to India? 80% of the cast are Indians. Going to Brazil? Hot Brazilian women everywhere. Going to Harlem/Haiti knock off/New Orleans? Black people everywhere...except they're all part of some evil cabal and the only good black person is Bond's boat driver. And the main Bond girl is a white woman. But disregarding the horrible racist nature of Live and Let Die, my point stands.
Well, Sheriff JW Pepper always seemed like a purposefully unflattering portrayal of a white racist... there's always that.

Live and Let Die is something else though isn't it? I mean... the racism... Baron Samedi seemingly being supernatural... Solitaire actually being psychic until Bond tricks her into fucking him...

That car stunt though... (pretend the slide whistle never happened) and that theme. My God that theme.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Stro I'll agree with your 70s being the best decade if we highlight 70s Japan. Because 70s Japan is the pinnacle of Japan being cool for being different but not falling into the 'what the fuck is going on with your media and your 1000 year old demons' shit The technology is crass but futuristic which 70s idea of future tech is the coolest
killing-machine-slurp.gif

tumblr_msoys5tGw11rr9g42o1_500.gif

and Sonny Chiba is that motherfucker

Indie flippy stuff;

GeG2W1N.gif

It's possible it was because of the bland food, but when I was in England filming CZW, all the drinks I had were ungodly sweet

Should've got an Indian if you wanted something spicier, but in general when people say they found British food bland I just assume they ate at terrible restaurants.

Also, I've got an imported can of cherry Dr. Pepper here and it has double the amount of sugar than a UK can of normal Dr. Pepper.

I actually mostly drink water, but was trying new drinks in England. It was mostly orange juices and such.

The only time I have soda now is during Christmas. ...I'm fat now.

Sunny Delight was banned in the UK during the 90s for causing kids to go insane. Not really related, but it was the first thing I thought of after reading your post.

strobogo

Banned
Stro I'll agree with your 70s being the best decade if we highlight 70s Japan. Because 70s Japan is the pinnacle of Japan being cool for being different but not falling into the 'what the fuck is going on with your media and your 1000 year old demons' shit The technology is crass but futuristic which 70s idea of future tech is the coolest
killing-machine-slurp.gif

tumblr_msoys5tGw11rr9g42o1_500.gif

and Sonny Chiba is that motherfucker

What the fuck happened to Japan in the 80s? Or did their decline into 1000 year old Damon Kanes, raping monsters, awful hair cuts, and crazy pop groups start in the 90s? They forgot about the bushido. Fighting spirit was replaced with 13 year old school girls in tiny skirts. They have shamed their ancestors.

Should've got an Indian if you wanted something spicier, but in general when people say they found British food bland I just assume they ate at terrible restaurants.

Also, I've got an imported can of cherry Dr. Pepper here and it has double the amount of sugar than a UK can of normal Dr. Pepper.

That is definitely possible; it was mostly food trucks and such I ate at. The best comparison was KFC in Wolverhampton; it just tasted like nothingness!

LOL WTF AT THAT GIF, JESUS

Sunny Delight was banned in the UK during the 90s for causing kids to go insane. Not really related, but it was the first thing I thought of after reading your post.

Sunny D made me kee-razy

Get on that Simon System, Bronson.

Exercising during the winter is for fit people!

Heroman

Banned
This. I'm just waiting for the bubble to burst and for Marvel/DC's movie timetable to burn to the ground. Already kinda over superhero movies and the next few years are going to be absolutely full of them, ugh.

I think I'll just re-watch Where Eagle Dare.
The problem with me is that they all are in the same universe some I have to see them all to get the plot.

The best comparison was KFC in Wolverhampton; it just tasted like nothingness!

KFC in Wolverhampton. Just saying it sounds so depressing, lol. I get the impression that, generally, you guys do fast food way, way, way better than we do - also, you seem to have a much greater availability of quality food, whereas over here you'd probably have to go to a nice pub/restaurant or get a home cooked meal to appreciate British food at its best.

strobogo

Banned
A pub makes me think of really dark beer. I think I'm going to buy some booze with my Blue Dotmas money. I'm sure that is shocking to you all. After I go see The Gambler remake in about an hour.

I don't think you are remembering your Sunny D history correctly.

It's a dark time for the UK, where the drink became popular AMONG ADULTS FOR SOME FUCKING REASON.

That was until a young girl who drank two gallons of it a day went yellow. Which didn't harm her at all, but which put people off drinking it.

KFC in Wolverhampton. Just saying it sounds so depressing, lol. I get the impression that, generally, you guys do fast food way, way, way better than we do - also, you seem to have a much greater availability of quality food, whereas over here you'd probably have to go to a nice pub/restaurant or get a home cooked meal to appreciate British food at its best.

Man, EVERYTHING in Wolverhampton was depressing. It was just weird. It felt like a ghost town.

That was until a young girl who drank two gallons of it a day went yellow. Which didn't harm her at all, but which put people off drinking it.

Yo she was trying to go Yellow Hulk, don't hate

Food trucks are myth.

Food trucks are life

You ever see Blind Woman's Curse, Data? Got in on blu-ray a few months back, so goddamn stylish;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QvIOyPmb2A

Anything samurai/mobster related from 70's Japan is automatically awesome.

Man, EVERYTHING in Wolverhampton was depressing. It was just weird. It felt like a ghost town.

Awful place. England's good for the countryside and the big cities, everything else is a hell-hole of urban sprawl and depressing suburbia.

Food trucks are exclusively there for when the chippy's closed.

Yeah, I don't think food trucks would have much chance between the local chippy, local kebab place, etc you see all over the UK. My local town center in my home town (Littleover, Derby) is now like 50% fast food places that are all pretty good.

Yo she was trying to go Yellow Hulk, don't hate.

She's a fucking national hero, ending a massively embarrassing period of UK history by finally scaring adults off the yellow coloured satan liquid that is now known as Sunny D. It was the number 3 soft drink in the UK at the time, and again, grown adults were guzzling the stuff under the insane belief that it was 'healthy'.

It doesn't really matter that the thing that put them off it was totally harmless. Imagined dangers seem a perfect antidote to imagined health benefits.

"The child apparently drank 1.5 litres per day. That would be more than the total daily fluid intake of a child of that age and you would expect a mix of different drinks, not just one type.

"This is excessive consumption and consumption on that scale would lead to a yellowing of the skin because of the beta carotene, in the same way as drinking too much carrot juice or orange juice would.

"The tanning tablets we use before going on holiday is beta carotene and works in much the same way.

"The condition is harmless, there is no health risk and skin will return to normal in a few weeks."

Awful place. England's good for the countryside and the big cities, everything else is a hell-hole of urban sprawl and depressing suburbia.

London Heathrow can suck my ball too. My airport stories involving them are hellish. Such evil people.

Germany, however, is kickass

Top Bottom