• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT2| I dec-declare this territory owned by the Holy Roman Empire

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Ryback

Results are only viewable after voting.

strobogo

Banned
WWE.com's top 10 matches of 2014

1. Team Cena vs Team Authority
  2. Adrian Neville vs Sami Zayn NXT Championship R Evolution
  3. Shield vs Wyatt Family Elimination Chamber
  4. Neville vs Zayn vs Kidd vs Breeze NXT Championship Take Over 2
  5. Shield vs Evolution Extreme Rules
  6. Natalya vs Charlotte NXT Women's Championship Takover 1
  7. Orton vs Bryan vs Batista WWE WHC WM30
  8. Daniel Bryan vs HHH WM30
  9. Sami Zayn vs Cesaro ArRival
  10. Usos vs Wyatt Family WWE Tag Team Championships 2/3 Falls

Shield vs Wyatts doesn't belong anywhere near that high. They picked the wrong Shield/Evolution match. Bryan/HHH should certainly be near the top. At the very least higher than the triple threat. 4 NXT matches in the top 10.

DMczaf

Alot of NXT in there.

tumblr_ngnzglIGKu1r890vdo1_400.gif

Aiii

So not worth it
Even WWE.com knows how shit WWE had been in 2014, that's good to know. Lol at picking a clusterfuck gimmick match as the best match of the year though.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Is Andre the best seller in wrestling by voice alone? He doesn't even need the mic and you can hear him emoting all over the ring.

Fox318

Shield vs Wyatts doesn't belong anywhere near that high. They picked the wrong Shield/Evolution match. Bryan/HHH should certainly be near the top. At the very least higher than the triple threat. 4 NXT matches in the top 10.

A women's match in the top 10

And it deserves it.

Never thought I'd see it in modern WWE.

Fox318

Yes, #ThankYouAJ. She changed the entire division.

Case in point, one of the big rubs on KD: he’s a misogynist influence on the product. I can tell you this is absolutely true and I learned it almost from jump street. One of the long term stories I’m most proud of from my time at WWE was being the principal producer on the Trish Stratus/Mickie James “Single White Female” story. There’s no humble in the brag when I say we grabbed the audience by the throat by a couple weeks into the angle and our quarter-hour ratings bore that out.
The first time we were given a crossover segment because the story was getting over, KD fought it tooth and nail. He fought us every week. Show was heavy? KD wanted to cut Trish/Mickie. “Temple of Trish” segment? KD argued that we needed more action and people would get bored. Lesbian kiss? “Trish has gotta like it!” Every single element, he wanted both protagonist and villain to be sexier and stupider.
Perhaps the following scene will be more instructive. You are on the WWE corporate jet. Imagine every rock star plane in any movie: four captain’s chairs facing each other in the front. Behind them, two benches facing each other across the aisle on which are crammed the writers. The captains? Vince, KD, Michael Hayes, HHH (Steph was on maternity leave, of Hayes would have been on the bench). We’re flying back from TV after taping one of the early WWECW shows. Kelly Kelly has just been introduced as the domestic [violence] partner of Mike Knox.
Hayes: She just feels cold, you know? She’s not connecting. Vince: Mm. She needs to find her sensuality.
KD hops up and down in seat with sniggering laughter in that “Hey, boss, pay attention to me” way. Vince turns to him.
KD: She NEEEEDS to find some TITS!
KD continues to snicker, eyes on Vince, begging for approval. Vince snorts. Conversation continues.

This kind of thing? The tendency to present women as only softcore objects? Those conversations came every single day, and KD was the WORST about pissing on any serious woman’s program.

http://www.cagesideseats.com/2014/7/1/5857390/hi-my-name-is-kevin-dunn#243156405

LEGITSHOOK.COM PRESENTS

007 Moonraker (1979)

It's pretty dope. The plot is pretty wacky. Evil dude Drax has a god complex and decides he's going to set up a space station and create a perfect race of humans, which will then repopulate the world with after he kills off a huge chunk of humanity with a weaponized flower that allegedly killed off the Aztecs. Still, I bought it. I don't think anything can phase me with a Bond movie after Live and Let Die. I enjoyed it. Space battles and sky diving and hang gliding and hot Brazilians.

eeeek.gif

Jaws is rad, as is his weird relationship with Bond. I recommend this movie.

For some reason I think I hated Live & Let Die, I really should rewatch them again soon. Starts off so damn strong, From Russia With Love is my favourite. A View To A Kill is probably the worst despite Walken being amazing, Moore just did not give a shit.

Craig>Dalton>Connery>Brosnan>Lazenby>Moore

Lazenby only having one film puts him low on the list, he was a bit stiff during OHMSS but he was serviceable for the most part. Moore is fucking 46 when he starts as Bond and looks about 242 during A View To A Kill.
I agree 100% on this ranking. Dalton did a great job, wish he had another movie or two to work with.
Brosnan kinda slept through the middle 2 movies, I actually enjoyed him for a large part of Die Another Day despite that movie ranging all over the fucking shop.

Bodybags are such a weird wrestling thing. Like, I get it for the Undertaker but why would anyone else do it?

Maybe they got a good deal on them when Undertaker ordered a heap? Or maybe the dude who sold them to Undertaker thought it was a brilliant new market for his products and hassled and haggled all the other wrestling promotions to buy some!

It doesn't have Never Say Never Again, either, but I watched half of it on Netflix and hated it so whatever. I don't understand why Connery would want to be involved in a remake of Thunderball.

0CGc0tZ.gif

Bad movie is bad. Was stuck in legal hell for decades. Real shit show. Has a certain charm to it though and Connery is in complete 'who gives a shit lets get drunk' mode.

Speaking of Cesaro, I learned a very interesting (i.e., sad) tidbit listening to the latest Steve Austin podcast.

In it, Steve talks about how heels can't be heels anymore, proven by his conversation with Cesaro. At a recent taping, Austin talked to Cesaro about incorporating more "heel" moves into this repertoire, like the backwards mule kick to the balls (a move you used to see ALL THE TIME in the late '90's) and Cesaro told Austin he'd like to do stuff like that, but management wouldn't allow it. WHAT? *facepalm*

Stiffling in ring moves really shits me. Makes the matches incredibly repetitive when they restrain what they can do and makes the wrestler second guess their natural instincts while working a match in the ring. Makes it feel stilted and messy.

This is a big issue. Feel free to ban dangerous moves like the piledriver but don't treat the talent like fucking babies, if they feel they can get away with a heelish move let them take that shot. Let them succeed or fail rather than make them float around in repetitive mediocrity.

Ballshots aren't PG, I assume.

I'd expect they would be more PG than a guy in a bunny suit dry fucking another dude though and that seemed to be fine to everyone at WWE who agreed to it.

What the fuck happened to Japan in the 80s? Or did their decline into 1000 year old Damon Kanes, raping monsters, awful hair cuts, and crazy pop groups start in the 90s? They forgot about the bushido. Fighting spirit was replaced with 13 year old school girls in tiny skirts. They have shamed their ancestors.

Heroic Bloodshed was born in the 80's, so it ain't all bad!
Pretty sure all the stuff you wrote above was mildly popular in Japan before then but it did seem to become really common after that. Shifting tastes of a generation I expect! Plus westerners gaining more access to that content of course made it a larger market, leading to more and more content becoming rampant.

somedevil

Here are the Star ratings for the top ten WWE matches:

1. 4 and half
2. 4 and 3/4
3. 4 and 1/4
4. 4 and half
5. 4 and half
6. 4 stars
7. 4 and half
8. 4 and 1/4
9. 4 and 1/4
10. 4 stars

Fox318

Team Cena vs Team Authority was good storytelling but I wouldn't call it a great match.

It was incredibly smart of them to get Cena out of the match so the crowd wasn't split on his team winning.

JavyOO7

Too bad only Skyfall is on Netflix. Wouldn't mind watching the rest of the Bond films again to see how bad/good they are.

Meanwhile, South Korean films are too good and too stronk. Man From Nowhere, Chase, Mother, The Thieves, Breathless, I Saw the Devil... etc etc.

strobogo

Banned
Too bad only Skyfall is on Netflix. Wouldn't mind watching the rest of the Bond films again to see how bad/good they are.

Meanwhile, South Korean films are too good and too stronk. Man From Nowhere, Chase, Mother, The Thieves, Breathless, I Saw the Devil... etc etc.

It's not the only one on Netflix. Search 007. From Russia with Love, You Only Live Twice, For Your Eyes Only, Never Say Never Again, The Living Daylights, Live and Let Die, A View to a Kill, Goldfinger, and Skyfall are on Netflix.

I found the rest of the list, with quotes from some of the wrestlers.

25. Daniel Bryan vs. Kane (Extreme Rules)
24. Brie Bella vs. Stephanie McMahon (SummerSlam)
23. Cesaro vs. Randy Orton (SmackDown, Feb. 14)
22. Dolph Ziggler vs. Sheamus vs. Christian vs. Alberto Del Rio (Raw, March 24)
21. Money in the Bank contract ladder match (Money in the Bank)
20. Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal (WrestleMania 30)
19. John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar (SummerSlam)
18. John Cena vs. Bray Wyatt (Payback)
17. El Torito vs. Hornswoggle (Extreme Rules)
16. Bad News Barrett vs. Dolph Ziggler (Raw, June 23)
15. Elimination Chamber WWE world heavyweight title match (Elimination Chamber)
14. Dean Ambrose vs. Seth Rollins (SummerSlam)
13. John Cena vs. Cesaro (Raw, Feb. 17)
12. Daniel Bryan vs. Bray Wyatt (Royal Rumble)
11. Dolph Ziggler vs. Cesaro vs. Tyson Kidd (SmackDown, Nov. 14)

People always talk about how Punk/Bryan could've been the Bret/Shawn of our time. I think they will be. Punk seems to be on Bret's post WWE career trajectory and Bryan is going to retire due to injury soon only to be revived by nanotechnology some years down the line. We'll be ok.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Hawk is only 6'3"? I always thought that dude was nearly Undertaker/Razor/Brody height.

Also didn't know the Road Warriors, Rick Rude, and Smash all got recruited working as bouncers at the same bar.

Am I the only one who thought Skyfall was basically Dark Knight starring James Bond? They might as well had Silva dress up in a nurse's outfit.

strobogo

Banned
Legitshook.com presents

007 Octopussy (1983)

It sucks. Do not recommend at all. Octopussy is the main Bond Girl and...her father gave her that nick name. Music is lame, women are lame, stunts are lame, and Moore is too old to give a shit about anything. It's not good. Might be my least favorite of the 10 or so I've seen.

It's only good for 2 solid as fuck reaction gifs in the review.

Am I mad in remembering Team Cena vs Team Authority not being that good? For me it was more of a case of expecting complete and utter shit then getting an okayish match with a stupid finish.

Am I mad in remembering Team Cena vs Team Authority not being that good? For me it was more of a case of expecting complete and utter shit then getting an okayish match with a stupid finish.
I thought it was booked right from beginning to end for who was in the match. I got actually hyped at moments for it despite not giving a fuck about anything going on in the show.

Still never played it or own the console it's on, but this D4 soundtrack is AMAZING.

I thought it was booked right from beginning to end for who was in the match. I got actually hyped at moments for it despite not giving a fuck about anything going on in the show.

Agreed 100% that match was way better than it had any right to be. It's only #1 due to it winning the Slammy for MOTY.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Team Authority versus Team Cena was quite simply the best booked multiman match in decades. I'm struggling to think of a Wargames match after the early 90's that was laid out better.

If the match didn't have Stang in it at all (or maybe if Stang had been a total surprise) it would have been just a bit better. The last ten minutes before he shows up though are wonderful.

Top Bottom