• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT2| I dec-declare this territory owned by the Holy Roman Empire

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Ryback

Results are only viewable after voting.

DMczaf

If anyone interested here is Meltzer ratings for TLC and NXT r Evolution:

TLC:

Cena vs Rollins 3 and 3/4 Stars
Harper vs Ziggler 3 and 3/4 Stars
Bray vs Ambrose 3 and 3/4 stars

NXT:

Ascension vs Finn and Hideo: 3 and 1/4 star
Charlotte vs Banks: 3 and 1/2 Stars
Sami vs Neville: 4 and 3/4 Stars

What do you guys think. I think he the Sasha and Charlotte match was 4 stars at least.

Charlotte vs Banks was better than any match on that PPV. Meltzer still seems hesitant to give praise to NXT, I could tell during his shows with Alvarez.

strobogo

Banned

TLC:

Cena vs Rollins 3 and 3/4 Stars
Harper vs Ziggler 3 and 3/4 Stars
Bray vs Ambrose 3 and 3/4 stars

NXT:

Ascension vs Finn and Hideo: 3 and 1/4 star
Sami vs Neville: 4 and 3/4 Stars

What do you guys think. I think he the Sasha and Charlotte match was 4 stars at least.

Nothing on TLC was above 2 stars.

If length of matches and promo's is an issue, look no further than Goldberg, guy was over as fuck, because he never talked and destroyed everything in five minute squashes.

Book Reigns like Goldberg, done.

pfft maybe if reigns tightened up his flying hug

goldberg-spear-o.gif

I'd probably go

TLC:

Cena vs Rollins 2.5
Harper vs Ziggler 3
Bray vs Ambrose 2.5

NXT:

Ascension vs Finn and Hideo: 3
Charlotte vs Banks: 4
Sami vs Neville: 5

Might be overrating the NXT matches though due to how much of a good mindset I was in at the time compared to the tedium of TLC outside the good matches.

DMczaf

and Bryan is nowhere near ready to come back, not to mention he isn’t WWE’s “type”, no matter how fans react.

WTF. That's not what Meltzer said about Bryan's recovery.

Meltzer said:
Daniel Bryan, no matter how the crowd reacts, is not their type and right now, there are still questions regarding his recovery from his neck and elbow problems.

Fox318

Charlotte vs Banks was better than any match on that PPV. Meltzer still seems hesitant to give praise to NXT, I could tell during his shows with Alvarez.

I feel like a ton of the people who cover it were like that.

I heard a few people complain about the Vaudevillens match because "there was no heat on the heels".

Meanwhile the match was awesome and the crowd was going apeshit.

strobogo

Banned
Meltzerz not wanting to give praise to NXT is weird, since they have excellent talent, solid as could be booking, and blend 80s NWA with modern indie stuff, with much better blow offs for big matches than the main roster does. Seems like it would be his dream promotion.

Ithil

He was in praise of the show, more than each individual match. Because he pretty much said TLC sucked, even if it had three good matches, and REvolution was great, because of how well paced and structured it was. He was super critical of the match order of TLC, that it really hurt the show.
Generally he says NXT is the best part of WWE each week, even if the TV has filler episodes once or twice per month.

somedevil

He called the NXT one of the best WWE shows of the year. Plus he almost gave 5 stars to the Zayn vs Neville match. I just think he underrated the women's match.

Its funny some say he is hesitant while here its very easy to give in to the hate even if the match is good. Those 3 TLC matches are good but how Raw is going seems to cloud people's judgment.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Meltzerz not wanting to give praise to NXT is weird, since they have excellent talent, solid as could be booking, and blend 80s NWA with modern indie stuff, with much better blow offs for big matches than the main roster does. Seems like it would be his dream promotion.

I think the big underlying issue is that it's the minor leagues, no matter how we feel about how good it is, it does get booked like an afterthought and they do throwaway and quick heel turns, etc - just because they want to prepare people, as opposed to telling the best POSSIBLE story. Of course 1 person writing the goddamn thing makes it come out much better anyway, but it's still developmental, and honestly I don't think should be taken as 'seriously' as the real WWE show does. I love NXT but I understand. It's a sandbox.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I wasn't as enamored with Itami/Balor vs Ascension. I felt the match itself was mostly boring, honestly, and Itami was stuck in a poor spot for most of it with no opportunity to shine. As a Balor vehicle the match was great, but there's 3 others in there that needed to "say" something and all 3 were muted compared to Balor.

Fox318

WTF. That's not what Meltzer said about Bryan's recovery.

Cena has been the only guy in their history that was promoted to the main card / top spot that wasn't over with the majority of fans.

Austin would have never gotten pushed had it not been for those Austin 3:16 signs.

They almost fucked up the Rock with the super clean image.

Had it not been for this sign and a injury giving him time to reboot he never would have become The Rock

DO3PZnzl.jpg

Bryan was over with nearly everybody and they thought that Batista-Orton was gonna be huge.

It needs to be a mixture of fan support and what you think will be best for business.

Part of it is how a person is booked/written but you need support from your audience.

Xater

I am very curious to see how Philly will react should Roman be that strong during the Rumble. I could totally see these doofuses even make him break his elimination record.

strobogo

Banned
I think the big underlying issue is that it's the minor leagues, no matter how we feel about how good it is, it does get booked like an afterthought and they do throwaway and quick heel turns, etc - just because they want to prepare people, as opposed to telling the best POSSIBLE story. Of course 1 person writing the goddamn thing makes it come out much better anyway, but it's still developmental, and honestly I don't think should be taken as 'seriously' as the real WWE show does. I love NXT but I understand. It's a sandbox.

Consider the treatment and quality of OVW/DSW/HWA to NXT. Consider how Sami winning the NXT Championship felt bigger than any title win in WWE except Bryan at WM. That wouldn't happen with just another minor league. It's less minor league and more alternate universe where booking is logical, titles matter, and women get to wrestle.

Cagey

Banned
I wasn't as enamored with Itami/Balor vs Ascension. I felt the match itself was mostly boring, honestly, and Itami was stuck in a poor spot for most of it with no opportunity to shine. As a Balor vehicle the match was great, but there's 3 others in there that needed to "say" something and all 3 were muted compared to Balor.
Itami came out of that match looking like just another dude. Which is bad.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Consider the treatment and quality of OVW/DSW/HWA to NXT. Consider how Sami winning the NXT Championship felt bigger than any title win in WWE except Bryan at WM. That wouldn't happen with just another minor league. It's less minor league and more alternate universe where booking is logical, titles matter, and women get to wrestle.

Oh certainly, and I agree, but I see why people would feel that NXT has considerably less weight and meaning.

Zach

Eh, it was fun. I really enjoyed the match. And that pop for the teased Go 2 Sleep was amazing.

Yeah felt the same way, even as a Balor fanboy. Itami deserved better, maybe throw a few more spots his way in that match. Ascension didn't really shine at all.

Ithil

I am very curious to see how Philly will react should Roman be that strong during the Rumble. I could totally see these doofuses even make him break his elimination record.

The Rumble is the other PPV that gets a lot of travelling fans, so expect a pretty hardcore audience.

Mengetsu

NXT:

Wait Meltzer was doing all that bitching and complaining about Charlotte getting a loss on Raw but, Gives her match only 3 and a 1/2 stars? Oh man...

And yes at least 4 star minimum. That was the second best match on that card to me. They threw down hard.

strobogo

Banned
Oh certainly, and I agree, but I see why people would feel that NXT has considerably less weight and meaning.

But he gives 5 stars and high praise to shitty legit indie matches. WWE developmental seems a step up from say...PWG or something. Seems weird to somehow not count the good booking and great matches from NXT because it is a developmental company when he would highly praise the same things if they were real indies.

Ithil

Wait Meltzer was doing all that bitching and complaining about Charlotte getting a loss on Raw but, Gives her match only 3 and a 1/2 stars? Oh man...

And yes at least 4 star minimum. That was the second best match on that card to me. They threw down hard.

Consider AJ vs Nikki got three quarters of a star by comparison.

TL21xx

Banned
Cena has been the only guy in their history that was promoted to the main card / top spot that wasn't over with the majority of fans.

Austin would have never gotten pushed had it not been for those Austin 3:16 signs.

They almost fucked up the Rock with the super clean image.

Had it not been for this sign and a injury giving him time to reboot he never would have become The Rock

DO3PZnzl.jpg

Bryan was over with nearly everybody and they thought that Batista-Orton was gonna be huge.

It needs to be a mixture of fan support and what you think will be best for business.

Part of it is how a person is booked/written but you need support from your audience.

You're right, except for one thing: Cena was over with the majority of the crowd (and universally loved by the live crowd) when he got the title at Mania 21 from JBL. What happened afterwards is a totally different story, BUT Cena was over when he became 'The Guy'.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Itami came out of that match looking like just another dude. Which is bad.

IMO, Itami's biggest problem is that his entire moveset was stolen by other main eventers (namely, Punk and Bryan). So a lot of his moveset might be taken away from him because they want to differentiate him, and right now just looks like another dude till they figure out what moveset they want him to do. Add in that they will want him to learn at least passable English before they promote him and that NXT has five potential stars already (Owens, Zayn, Neville, Charlotte, Balor) raring to go, it may not be the worst idea to keep Itami on the backburner till after some spots open up for him near the top of the card.

Honestly; I'd say let him take his moveset back. Flying Knees and GTSs for everyone. Hell, if they want to give him the pop of his life, next time they go to Chicago, have Itami be in a match and GTS someone. That pop will be monstrous.

Fox318

That Charlotte vs Banks match was treated as a big match.

I honestly can't remember many Women's matches but I can still remember that match on NXT.

somedevil

Well what he has going is he is not part time and there is no Daniel Bryan situation as of now.

If you want to make stuff easier for him one don't let him throw out any faces that could lead to him getting booed. Also, if Daniel Bryan is ready to come back hold him to after the rumble. Cause if he is in it and Reigns throws him out then it will be chaos.

The thing with Bryan one of his flaws on being a top guy he is too much of a wrestling fan who has been given this dream of being a top guy. So it seems like he doesn't complain if angles he is given sucks.

He just needs what the shield guys have of marching into Vince's office saying this sucks and gets stuff changed. Cause he should of read that Kane thing with the car and pulled an Undertaker of crumpling up the script and throwing it into the trash.

Sokantish

Honestly; I'd say let him take his moveset back. Flying Knees and GTSs for everyone. Hell, if they want to give him the pop of his life, next time they go to Chicago, have Itami be in a match and GTS someone. That pop will be monstrous.

They would just chant CM Punk though

Bryan will pretty much be his own worst enemy if he ever comes back. Crowd is there for him but won't be if he lets them do night after night of neckbrace.gif

Ithil

I just now realized I misread your post. For some reason I read it is 3 3/4.

Oh hell no. Three quarters of a star, same rating as the Chairs match.

On the Takeover match he said:

These two tore the house down. Charlotte has the great ring presence, and is pretty amazing given how long she’s been in this, but Banks looked really good as a heel when given the chance. Charlotte has improved since the Natalya match, and Banks really stood out with her best performance to date. Both of these women should be on the main roster right now.

He also had a paragraph on why the presentation of the women's match as the co-main event needs to be a thing on the main roster and the idea of "women not drawing" is complete bullshit.
Which it is, people only think that in wrestling because of decades of WWE booking them as a sideshow at best, and a contractual obligation at worst.

IMO, Itami's biggest problem is that his entire moveset was stolen by other main eventers (namely, Punk and Bryan). So a lot of his moveset might be taken away from him because they want to differentiate him, and right now just looks like another dude till they figure out what moveset they want him to do. Add in that they will want him to learn at least passable English before they promote him and that NXT has five potential stars already (Owens, Zayn, Neville, Charlotte, Balor) raring to go, it may not be the worst idea to keep Itami on the backburner till after some spots open up for him near the top of the card.

Let him go on a verbal tirade saying how former talents had taken his moves, turn him heel and have him express how he's taking them back. With Bryan's jank neck, should he return can have a match for the running knee, and it'll be a good way to write it out of Bryan's moveset and replace it with something safer for him.

Or if Bryan can't perform anymore, he can cut a promo and put Itami over, and when someone confronts them, Itami can hit the dude with a running knee as a "tribute" to Bryan. To the casual fan, it'll be like a passing of the torch, along the lines of Flair passing the figure four to the Miz
lol
. But they can also put it over as Bryan giving the move back to him. He can put it back in his arsenal and get that D.Bry rub.

GTS will be tougher to hand back because its so ingrained with Punk now. So I dunno.

strobogo

Banned
You're right, except for one thing: Cena was over with the majority of the crowd (and universally loved by the live crowd) when he got the title at Mania 21 from JBL. What happened afterwards is a totally different story, BUT Cena was over when he became 'The Guy'.

Cena was more over in the lead up to WM than he actually was at WM. The crowd was dead, chanted boring, and barely reacted when he won the title. From that point on, fans turned on him pretty hard once he got drafted to Raw.

Mine falls under the nonfurry or gross av as well, friend.

I'm more excited to see the legit ones rather than the cringe worthy shit, honestly. I said it yesterday, but I wish I could team up with two people and each can submit a Joey, Jamie and Seth avatar, all from the same photo. I think it'd be great.

Ithil

Cena was more over in the lead up to WM than he actually was at WM. The crowd was dead, chanted boring, and barely reacted when he won the title. From that point on, fans turned on him pretty hard once he got drafted to Raw.

Probably because the match wasn't very good and Cena was already going into Super Cena/CENAWINSLOL territory. If I recall, JBL beat him up in a boring manner for ten minutes then he won with an AA outta nowhere. He was already losing some of the edge that got him over in favour of being a superman.

Compare it to the main event of WM 21, which probably wasn't that great as a match, but it was a much better story and got over more (and it had the superior storyline leading into WM anyway).

Top Bottom