• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT28| Nolan Beyond

But your hype is at an all time low?

One exotic modification erases, off the top of my head
double vault space
better faction rewarding
quests for days
bounty for days
pvp nightfall
some story mission in the trailers where you're literally platforming up one of those fuckin towers in cosmodrome

i mean...cahmahn

It's hyperbole, but that new information made me think that a lot of the other exotics that are basically useless, have a fighting chance of being cool now.

Not any more.

It's hyperbole, but that new information made me think that a lot of the other exotics that are basically useless, have a fighting chance of being cool now.

Not any more.

Believe man. Radiant dance machines will let you fly, and Apotheosis veil will give you an over shield when you get super kills and it will last longer the more kills you get.

kidko

I'm in the minority and appreciate that, but look forward to moving past the same guns I've been using for a year. It's time. Let's do this. Reboot.

Yes Exotic Bounty. Last one I turned in as well.

Right which one.

A Light in the Dark
Tolands Legacy
A Dubious Task

well, bad juju was only one that looked to be up-gradable to year 2. is pretty easy to complete, Thorn is getting a nerf also the hardest bounty, Invective is a perfectly suitable shotgun, easiest to complete if you got 12000 glimmer lying around, or you saved up a crap load special ammo packs from the wolves. I think this also requires you buy something from xur, but that might be bad juju thuogh.

Id say bad juju, just like it

Frenden

Banned
Old exotics are still useable in vanilla PvP where power levels are disabled. I'm mostly okay with that being the only place--it's fun to think of wasting a player year 10 who's never heard of your OG exotic gun and leaving them wtf-ing.

Joining DGAF isn't that simple, first you must wear the rock of shame.

0nlhKuE.jpg

chris-redfield-vs-boulder-o.gif

what rock of shame? :p

Old exotics are still useable in vanilla PvP where power levels are disabled. I'm mostly okay with that being the only place--it's fun to think of wasting a player year 10 who's never heard of your OG exotic gun and leaving them wtf-ing.

YESSSS

all like "WHY AM I BLIND WHAT IS HAPPENING"

X-Frame

Equippable Swords sold me on TTK.

I wonder how these swords will be in PvP. If someone can turn a corner and just fire a rocket at you during the heavy round, what is the point of having a sword? If you catch them in close-quarters they'll just rocket the floor and kill both of you.

Unless you can block rockets with the sword .............

ocean

Banned
I'd wait to find out how the light level affects damage output in TTK before writing them all off.

If damage intake is determined by your level and Light, and Light is an unweighed average of the Light on all your gear...we should be fine. Example.

You have a full set of (let's imagine) 400 Light gear and you're level 40. Please note I'm making this number up and don't know what the Light cap will be for top tier TTK stuff.

If you've got 400 Attack Primary, Secondary, Heavy, and a 400 Light Ghost, with 400 Defense Chest, Gauntlets, Legs and Class Item...and then your old 160 Defense Helm of St. 14.

Assuming an unweighed average across the light level of these 9 categories, your average, or Light Level, would go from 400 (with a full suite) to 373 if you rock an old Exotic stuck at 160 Defense. This is about 93.33% the hypothetical 400 cap.

Assuming activities aren't Skolas/Scrota style and have us play under leveled, rocking a single weapon or armor piece at Year 1 cap shouldn't have too significant an impact on damage taken/received. This, of course, relies on several assumptions I have no way of validating yet, namely:

1. That Light is weighed equally across these 9 slots (if it were, Light Level in the Stream should have been 187 and not 186 though right?)
  2. That damage output/intake scales linearly with averaged Light Level
  3. That the 160 cap for year 1 won't be too far removed from whatever the new cap is (I chose 400 as a worst case scenario, I can't imagine it'd be that much higher)

Kind of hope this is the case, as it would mean that wearing an old Exotic piece would place you only a marginal disadvantage (as opposed to dropping a full level with the current system).

GutZ31

I wonder how these swords will be in PvP. If someone can turn a corner and just fire a rocket at you during the heavy round, what is the point of having a sword? If you catch them in close-quarters they'll just rocket the floor and kill both of you.

Unless you can block rockets with the sword .............
L2 is used as a block, or shield for Swords that we have seen. The Arc Edge Sword can block solar and void damage effectively, but not Arc.
So it may be able to withstand rockets of solar or void, and just barely save you with an arc rocket hit.

Need more info to know if it's just like a parry animation, or more like the relic shield bubble.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Do the Vanguard Missive exotic bounties refresh now or still set with what ever you get given?

Really wanted the Super Good Advice. Already got the Invective, Bad Juju eh I dunno since I got the Plan C and I don't know about Thorn.

noomi

Just read the weekly update, cool :)

The old guard shader looks exactly like revenant, and the new sparrow looks like the crota one...

Deku Tree

IMO your gonna be at a big disadvantage doing the new content with year 1 equipment. Even if it's just one year 1 FB and everything else top year 2 stuff. I don't believe the damage FB will do is based upon your avg light level. That's some fuzzy math.

Juraash

I'm in the minority and appreciate that, but look forward to moving past the same guns I've been using for a year. It's time. Let's do this. Reboot.

I mostly am in this boat too. I wish all the armor exotics carried over, but really only for visual flair. I know I've said it before in this thread, but a transmog system would be great.

As to your comment though, I've had an interesting experience with that just recently. Bought Ghorn last week and it has basically dominated my exotic slot. It's not really very fun to use imo, but its output is so good it makes little sense to swap around. Meanwhile the exotic I'm enjoying the most currently (4th Horseman) is collecting dust. I'll be super glad to see loadout options get blown wide open, at least for a while.

GutZ31

IMO your gonna be at a big disadvantage doing the new content with year 1 equipment. Even if it's just one year 1 FB and everything else top year 2 stuff. I don't believe the damage FB will do is based upon your avg light level. That's some fuzzy math.
From bungies own mouth, that is exactly how it works.

100 helm
100 gauntlet
100 chest
100 boots
100 primary
100 special
100 heavy
100 ghost

Would equal 100 light.

100 helm
100 gauntlet
100 chest
100 boots
80 primary
100 special
100 heavy
100 ghost

Would only drop you down to 97 light if my math isn't failing me.
my math is usually bad.

E92 M3

*HOLY SH*T!! I can finally post!!!*

been lurking here while waiting for my account to be approve and now I can finally be apart of DestinyGaf!!!

got all three characters on 34 and eagerly awaiting TTK, my friends and I are hoping we all get the day off from work/school so we can all play on launch day

Welcome aboard to the best community on GAF.

Equippable Swords sold me on TTK.

Swords are the perfect reason to want TTK. I've wanted swords as a weapon class for so long!

Just read the weekly update, cool :)

The old guard shader looks exactly like revenant, and the new sparrow looks like the crota one...

I'm so hyped for my welfare revenant!

ocean

Banned

I stuck with armor for this very reason. Damage output will probably be contingent on whatever scaling system tied to your Light Level is in place but then also your weapon's attack value relative to the level of the enemies you're fighting.

Far too many unknowns to even bother speculating how it'll play out. I was just speculating a bit on the damage intake scaling and how it might work assuming you're max level (40) and just lose some light to an armor piece. If it does scale linearly (of which we've had zero indication and would be uncharacteristically simple by Destiny's obtuse standards), it'd make the penalty extremely small since your weapons could carry your Light level and make the armor dip far smaller once averaged.

Silvard

Alright, who's up for a VoG HM run within the next 30 minutes?

1. Silvard
2. ItsNerveDamage
3. You
4. ???
5. ???
6. ???

PSN: SilvardCT

zewone

I stuck with armor for this very reason. Damage output will probably be contingent on whatever scaling system tied to your Light Level is in place but then also your weapon's attack value relative to the level of the enemies you're fighting.

Far too many unknowns to even bother speculating how it'll play out. I was just speculating a bit on the damage intake scaling and how it might work assuming you're max level (40) and just lose some light to an armor piece. If it does scale linearly (of which we've had zero indication and would be uncharacteristically simple by Destiny's obtuse standards), it'd make the penalty extremely small since your weapons could carry your Light level and make the armor dip far smaller once averaged.

I hope this is how it works because I'd like to be able to wear blue armor without handicapping myself too much.

Particularly this set:

kidko

I mostly am in this boat too. I wish all the armor exogics carried over, but really only for visual flair. I know I've said it before in this thread, but a transmog system would be great.

As to your comment though, I've had an interesting experience with that just recently. Bough Ghorn last week and it has basically dominated my exotic slot. It's not really very fun to use imo, but it's output is good it makes little sense to swap around. Meanwhile the exotic I'm enjoying the most currently (4th Horseman) is collecting dust. I'll be super glad to see loadout options get blown wide open, at least for a while.

Same feeling. I hope the new light system allows for a more even playing field with gear so we can make more decisions based on look and feel vs dmg numbers.

GhaleonEB

From bungies own mouth, that is exactly how it works.

100 helm
100 gauntlet
100 chest
100 boots
100 primary
100 special
100 heavy
100 ghost

Would equal 100 light.

100 helm
100 gauntlet
100 chest
100 boots
80 primary
100 special
100 heavy
100 ghost

Would only drop you down to 97 light if my math isn't failing me.
my math is usually bad.

Light is an adder to the base damage of the weapon, not the attack of the weapon itself.. So it's more like 100+100 = 200 vs. 80+97 = 177, to follow your example.

By design, one crappy gun won't hold your light level back that much, but you will still be at a decided disadvantage by virtue of the lower attack value.

vctor182

So, I was about to cancel my PS4 bundle because I won't be able to get the money but I'm seeing it's sold out! What to do...what to do...

I fully expect that light levels will be the same they are now only the way that damage received and dealt will be scaled at a more granular level as opposed to now where it doesn't matter if you're almost 34, you'll still be at the same disadvantage as someone who is exactly level 33.

Lol
yaaay.

I wonder what happened there. Some of the stuff that ends up in the weekly updates have been endlessly confusing to me, from the very beginning.

Undying Mind is great with a good group that understands orb generation, and you can skip almost all of the enemies that don't give glimmer. The boss fight is potentially the best glimmer farming in the game including Gatekeepers.
I thought I was in a strange universe until I read your take on Undying Mind. It is a SUPER FACTORY. Three Voidwalkers, Obsidian Minds equipped and all firing Bad Juju. And then it's a nova bomb party. I love it.

Sullichin

Kinda torn about the upgrade stuff. It took me way too long to finally get a Gjallarhorn (from Xur), so it kinda sucks that it won't be upgradeable. I finally got the best weapon in the game and it's about to not be the best weapon in the game. Fuck! But that's me having a problem with it taking so long to get in the first place, not the fact that they are switching things up. Fatebringer+Gjallarhorn is such a tired combination to see. I hope the new endgame weapons encourage more versatility in builds. They seem to be trying to do that.

Nightfall-tier weekly PVP rewards is amazing and something I wish was in the game earlier. I play PVP more than PVE. The rewards are way better than they used to be and obviously ToO has some of the best stuff currently available. I wouldn't be level 34 without it. But the majority of my time spent in Destiny is played alone doing Crucible bounties and it's not very fruitful outside of the stray sniper i spent 200 motes reforging so it's really cool I can make some actual progress playing the part of Destiny I like the most.

Top Bottom