• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT37| Everything Old is New Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have to buy the book on each toon? Or just buy the book once across all characters?
No, there are different achievements for each class' helmet, and you can do it all on one character. I don't know if you can move the book around. The gauntlets, chest, and boots are actually class agnostic.

Won 7/8 races on Venus track, 2nd in the one I didn't win.
Won 1/8 races on Mars track and finish near the back of the pack most of the time.

Can the Mars track be taken out of the rotation please?

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Jeez, so much stuff going on the last few days but work has been crazy busy for me.

So to summarize:

- ARs did not recieve any buff
- PRs received....a larger or smaller nerf than expected?
- HC accuracy buff is confirmed and working well
- Shotgun nerf seems to be there but not a huge change
- Fusion buffs don't seem to be working

How accurate am I here?

Anybody?

ethomaz

Banned
So what about the Sparrows...

- Which is the best one?
- The Red Bull one is good? (I need to do the SABER strikes to finish it)

I will be back tomorrow.

Namikaze1

What are the steps of the playstation exclusive sparrow racing quest?
1. Talk to Holliday after completing some races to recieve the quest.

2. Kill 2 Taken Ultra and x number of Taken

3. Complete two Tier 3 CoO challenges

4a. Complete Outbound Signal in under 15(?) minutes

4b. Complete Fear's Embrace in under 20 minutes

5. Return to Holliday

Jeez, so much stuff going on the last few days but work has been crazy busy for me.

So to summarize:

- ARs did not recieve any buff
- PRs received....a larger or smaller nerf than expected?
- HC accuracy buff is confirmed and working well
- Shotgun nerf seems to be there but not a huge change
- Fusion buffs don't seem to be working

How accurate am I here?

- correct , though maths offered tonight might try to make it seem otherwise
- smaller in cases of most archetypes--decently large for slowest ROF archetype
- seems so but I personally can't confirm
- same
- IIRC they weren't necessarily getting a "buff", people had concerns about their changes, which seem to have gone through and had the result people feared in PvP, so something of a nerf

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I'm gonna start taking screenshots after ever race to show my rewards. I bet more than half the time I get a single strange coin as my reward.

Deku Tree

1. Talk to Holliday after completing some races to recieve the quest.

2. Kill 2 Taken Ultra and x number of Taken

3. Complete two Tier 3 CoO challenges

4a. Complete Outbound Signal in under 15(?) minutes

4b. Complete Fear's Embrace in under 20 minutes

5. Return to Holliday

Is it hard?

Did anyone try decrypting exotic boot engrams after the hot fix?

I have 2 in the vault, both dropped after using 3oC in SRL.

The warlock boots are not even in the loot pool yet, right? I already have Bones, so might as well save the engrams for later.
Worked for me. Got bones today from exotic engram. Got the engram with the warlock, moved to vault, decripted with hunter.

Namikaze1

Is it hard?
Nah. It's pretty easy really. Outbound signal just took me 4 minutes while Fear's Embrace took 9 minutes, both solo. You probably have Antiquated Runes saved up for the second step. I didn't so I had to come here and beg for folks who did.

Outbound Signal timed version is level 38

Fear's Embrace timed version is light level 260

Archon473

So in general, I like it. Something new to do and the tracks are indeed cool. Overall, a good inclusion. Still, there are obvious things to tweak and change that would instantly improve the experience.

There are obvious sticking points on certain terrain on both tracks. On Venus, there is a huge drop onto a stream with a grass landing pad to the right. It's heading toward the right S-curve with a shortcut hill to the left. It is so easy to get hung up on the grass patch if you land in the stream and try to drive right onto the grass in order to line up for the boost gate. The dirt is visibly higher than the stream and catches the underside of your Sparrow. There are a number of turns in the Venus tunnels toward the end of the track before the teleporter. I watched two riders behind me slam into the wall right after I had. We were all heading the same way, following the boost gates and all hit the same wall. This leads to the second problem.

So many boost gates direct you out of a logical racing line. You can see this in tunnels when a lot of boost gates hit at an angle direct you into the walls. The pro thing to do is approach the gate and angle yourself on the racing line ahead of time so it boosts you in the direction you are travelling (Not facing, but physically moving). If you need to turn into a boost gate, you are at the mercy of the physics engine. I want to number every example in both tracks, but there is one toward the beginning of each track (Left on Venus, Right on Mars) leaving a big easy uphill curve where the tracks begin to loop overhead. You can hug the inside so tight but hitting that gate shoots you right for the wall. On Mars, there's the canyon jump heading toward the ramp with a pillar right in front of it. There are three steps to the left and on gate right in the middle. Problem is this gate sucks. It is heading toward a left turn so you can hit it straight and take the turn way too wide, or you can try and turn left through it and hope you dodge the two obstacles right in your way. In all these situations, I would recommend avoiding the gate and preserving the racing line, but that method is unsuccessful because...

Missing boost gates penalizes the racer with a speed decrease! Dude, missing the gate is a penalty in itself. You do not get the boost and when you are following a good racing line, most gates do a good job of directing you toward the next one. This is a sort of balanced slippery slope concept in anti-gravity racing games - the more you hit, the easier it will be to stay on track and missing boost gates does you no favors in staying in line. Making the gates smaller for racers in better positions is another good balancing design choice, but the speed penalty for missing gates is too harsh. It is rough enough sliding through the side of a gate and hearing that awful crunch as the screen flashes red like, "Nope, didn't hit that one. Get better." The forced slowdown is unnecessary.

To conclude, overall I think this was a good idea and the less I try to race seriously the more fun I have. One race I held 1st place for three laps only to be pushed by another rider into a pillar and then again into the wall of the Mars windmill and fell into 6th. The race ended with me winning a EV-40 Sparrow even still, heheh. The gear, especially a new Sparrow to replace my Lvl 1 Tutorial ride, was the only reason for me competing. The thrill of a race is real. I think this is a great way to get high level gear and XP without having to commit to a long mission or whatever. If they clean up some of the obvious issues, they could make this a permanent mode.

-Fix the sharp edges in both tracks that glue you to the environment. I only ran ~8 races and saw myself or other riders get stuck in the same locations consistently.
-Adjust the few boost gates that direct you away from the shortest racing line, specifically the gates leaving turns that throw your Sparrow wide toward the wall.
-Remove the forced speed decrease for missing boost gates.

Ken

Won 7/8 races on Venus track, 2nd in the one I didn't win.
Won 1/8 races on Mars track and finish near the back of the pack most of the time.

Can the Mars track be taken out of the rotation please?

I think the key to the Mars one is to make sure you gain time on a few specific spots: the first bend, the second gate post big jump, and the gate post loop/troll middle pillar. These are pretty much the only places you can gain time assuming you're close to the pack.

Venus one is a lot easier cause there's not as many of these spots so if you can avoid crashing and hit most of the gates you'll do well.

got my fisrst 310 Exotic Engrams... like ever (I'm 307 and I don't raid)

too bad it is another stupid Stag, (I hate the Stag and the Ram for they look stupid)

TacticalFailure

Neo Member
Anyone on xbox good enough to carry a 304 light hunter through the hard raid? I just want to do it for the achievement.

My kid will be raiding this weekend if you need someone to help out, he has multiple clears. 304 shouldn't be a problem. I finally took the plunge into the raid last week and didn't have any issues on hard at 308. I'd help but the Internet at camp is terrible most nights.

Ken

So many boost gates direct you out of a logical racing line. You can see this in tunnels when a lot of boost gates hit at an angle direct you into the walls. The pro thing to do is approach the gate and angle yourself on the racing line ahead of time so it boosts you in the direction you are travelling (Not facing, but physically moving). If you need to turn into a boost gate, you are at the mercy of the physics engine.

That's why you have a side boost. You have to expend side boosts to make use of the tricky gates that seemingly propel you off the line.

If there was no side boost then yeah, some of the gate angles are wack lol.

Mrcapcom

Anyone doing KF Hard Mode tonight? I need to run it on my Hunter and Warlock and do Challenges on both. Add MrCapcom I should be on around 8-10pm est

E92 M3

Seems people are liking the Division. That's good, get Bungie sweating a little with some competition.

Complacency is a killer of innovation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom