• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT37| Everything Old is New Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zocano

I keep hearing people say the end game sucks but I kinda don't get where people are coming from. I mean in relation to the other points in the game's lifetime, I'd say this has a healthier end game than ever before. If they get around to doing challenge modes for the other raids, I think that would be very good.

Trakan

I keep hearing people say the end game sucks but I kinda don't get where people are coming from. I mean in relation to the other points in the game's lifetime, I'd say this has a healthier end game than ever before. If they get around to doing challenge modes for the other raids, I think that would be very good.

What.

The King's Fall loot is mostly garbage. Not only is it garbage, but the drop rate is garbage. You can get literally nothing. Not only do you have to deal with that terribe drop rate, but it has an RNG roll on it. If you get something to drop, it could be 311. The primaries have no elements.

There's really nothing positive to say about it.

todd360

What.

The King's Fall loot is mostly garbage. Not only is it garbage, but the drop rate is garbage. You can get literally nothing. Not only do you have to deal with that terribe drop rate, but it has an RNG roll on it. If you get something to drop, it could be 311. The primaries have no elements.

The weapon design is uhhh unique. Err that's positive right? Lol

E92 M3

I think HoW had the best end-game. All loot was relevant and people had all types of setups.

Zocano

What.

I'm not speaking exactly in loot terms but even then I don't think the loot is *thaaat* bad. One, the elements thing is fine but I'd rather not have it in the end. Two, the number doesn't mean much when the only encounter where it's necessary is Oryx and even then being 311 is fine currently.

It's in relation to similar games that Destiny's end game is poor.

Borderlands 2 has tons of end game bosses, and you can endlessly keep getting new gear to how the variations work in it(As well as continue levelling up).

Diablo 3 has Adventure Mode. The gear again offers a huge amount of variation. Finding the 'ancient' versions of sets, crafting, finding ways to 'break' your character using a set of legendaries.

Destiny kinda is trying to do that with the glass needles xur sells and well, gear having varying perks. But those perks are literally meaningless. For helmets you always want the one that replenishes your shield. Every other perk is kinda meaningless. Yeah there's some pvp ones(Second Wind) but really they're meaningless.

As for guns...well weapon balance is a mess. People will find the strongest gun to use, and they will use it for the 'serious' modes like Trials or Iron Banner. Regular Crucible isn't so bad because atleast you have year 1 weapons along with year 2 weapons in use here. But when it comes to PvE you're restricted to Year 2 weapons for the current stuff, again limiting the pool of weapons.

And Challenge modes are fine but...shallow as they are right now.

Getting up to the end game is great. Doing the end game consistently isn't.

I think HoW had the best end-game. All loot was relevant and people had all types of setups.

Yup. HoW was really great. In PvP there was a variance in guns. People rocked Mythoclasts, Thorns, Bad Jujus, Red Deaths, Midas in Trials. Even Suros Regime saw some action. For PvE, yeah Gjallahorn was considered the best, but you could still rock whatever you wanted. TLW in PvE? Sure why not it's fun. Mythoclast? Vision of Confluence? Sure why not. You could choose whatever gear you wanted-you weren't restricted to one path or to RNG, because god knows everyone LOVES getting 310 gear every week from HM.

SheHateMe

The weapon design is uhhh unique. Err that's positive right? Lol

184.gif

Don't get me wrong; Zocano has a point. It's slightly better than #Forever29, but I shouldn't have to fight double RNG.

My first fight with Oryx? I got NOTHING. My first time having over 20 shards for Oryx? He gave me 2 back. Only on my 3rd (and final so far) run did I get a primary weapon... that I immediately infused into something else.

I don't want to go back to HoW, but I was hoping that they would expand on the good parts of HoW and give us something better in return. I can grind with the best of them; make it worth my while, however. I want primary exotics with elements. I want exotics that feel exotic: give me a Heavy Spread Gun that slows my movement down by -2. Give me a shotgun that empties the entire clip in one shot, but the reload is horrible. Give me a hand cannon that hits like a tank and returns bullets to the chamber on every hit, body or otherwise, but you only get 6 shots total and the RoF is absymal. You have to find your own ammo afterwards. That, to me, is exotic.

That's something to chase. Not 2 more shards or my 50th CoAL. (I swear, my hunter will never get another exotic chest piece except for that one.)

SnakeEyes

Banned
47 races, all Shaders obtained, 27 helmets and 1 class item. Still need 2 more wins to get s class license.
Then you're lucky as hell. I've gotten S class, and only 2 shaders have dropped for me. Ton of helmets though, so I guess I got more lucky with infusion materials.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

Everything felt streamlined in the earlier Raids gear wise
Reaching LL 30 wasn't just now what do we do now?
Remember the #FOREVER29 Club
The thing was there was always a constant reshuffle of the same playerbase chasing gear with a hard cap and getting there in a decent time
Meaning if someone hit 30, they didn't just start bemoaning, they got tracked into making different sets for their char
Warlock with Sunsinger I played with guns suited to that that style, so gear oriented from raid dropping stats and rolls on it were the key
Also weapons, ghosts, artifacts didn't play a part till TTK for LL

Now I hear being 305-310 is good enough
315 is like reaching the summit point, all from there are a few inclined/plateau steps that don't make that huge a difference

320 Chase is just the MMORPG mindset of being capped, unless it really does change up the health/shield/weapon damage by a significant amount, it's not really worth it

Just seeing my underleveled toons and all the changes, most are good, but the barriers put up don't cover or even benefit the player
What I'm saying is there's too much chance, when the chance doesn't favor you at all

Infuse, then try to get every item on both sides to 320, is kind of insane
Then you have to deal with RNG on top of that...

So I have to get the drop, hope it's to my liking, infuse it using higher drop LL to bump it, sometimes burning a piece that I could make a new set out of to accomplish it
Now you have to do it for 4 pieces on the left, 5 pieces on the right...

Even if you get 1 char to 320, you'll be so burned out from managing a chat like a spreedsheet toon, you won't want to replay same content to create a new set, why torture yourself through that
I mean think about it
3 classes
3 subclasses
4 modes: PvE, Raid, Crucible (3 subs here too: ToO, IB, then Crucible Playlist), Events
We should be showered with loot, not always giving a drip feed amount
Players should be making sets and rerolling stats to hit the perfect balance
The grind should be fun, not an arduous task where it feels like a grind on top of a grind o n top of a grind with a weekly lockout which is controlled by horrible eng, which is layered again with a shitty update/patch system which is then left with a cherry on top with miscommunication or bullshit or false advertising or condescending humor...

SheHateMe

We should be showered with loot, not always giving a drip feed amount
Players should be making sets and rerolling stats to hit the perfect balance
The grind should be fun, not an arduous task where it feels like a grind on top of a grind o n top of a grind with a weekly lockout which is controlled by horrible rng, which is layered again with a shitty update/patch system which is then left with a cherry on top with miscommunication or bullshit or false advertising or condescending humor...

I love you. This is what I was trying to say but not saying it right.

Zocano

I am very disappointed that challenge mode versions aren't 320 or 330, I'll say that.

I'm not saying what we have now is good (in fact I think it's horrendously flawed) but I think there are a lot of steps taken in the right direction in all sorts of places even if some key bits feel like steps back (like amount of viable things to do).

I keep saying it but what this game desperately needs more than anything is tons and tons of different perks.

____

At this point I can't see any real significant changes being made until Destiny 2.

SheHateMe

I am very disappointed that challenge mode versions aren't 320 or 330, I'll say that.

I'm not saying what we have now is good (in fact I think it's horrendously flawed) but I think there are a lot of steps taken in the right direction in all sorts of places even if some key bits feel like steps back (like amount of viable things to do).

You're right about the steps in the right direction.

They're just tiny steps and they are always being overshadowed by the jumps backward.

(I also would've loved a 320 or 330 challenge mode, as long as the rewards were worth it.)

I think they kept the challenge modes at normal light levels so people not interested in challenge mode wouldn't have a hard time with completing the raid due to a seemingly random level spike. Of course this could easily be fixed by having challenge mode be a completely different option in the director that is only the challenge mode encounter.

Frenden

Banned
HoW's horizontal endgame progression was best. Etheric light encouraged players to experiment and refine gear builds.

It's counter intuitive, but making it easier to reach max level encouraged people to play longer and get the gear they really wanted IMO.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I still wish the gear was actually unique and not just three stat modifiers. Unique gear would encourage different playstyles (synergy with weapons/classes) and would make people wanna keep playing to get better/more varies gear instead of just "max light".

Zocano

HoW's horizontal endgame progression was best. Etheric light encouraged players to experiment and refine gear builds.

It's counter intuitive, but making it easier to reach max level encouraged people to play longer and get the gear they really wanted IMO.

Aside from their horrible attempts at balancing (and I know that's a big thing to put aside), we still have the ability to use whatever Year 2 weapons we want.

I still wish the gear was actually unique and not just three stat modifiers. Unique gear would encourage different playstyles (synergy with weapons/classes) and would make people wanna keep playing to get better/more varies gear instead of just "max light".

More perks more perks more perks more perks more perks more perks

Yup. They can even throw elements into the mix-Make certain gear power up certain elements-IE an armor set of Solar buffs, on my Solar titan, using Solar weapons. Have exotics drop with different elements-They showed off a Solar Thunderlord IIRC. Imagine having Elemental versions of TLW to go along with that set of Solar armor.

Doing stuff like that really gives a player the option to personalize their build. I'm going to rock this Arc Suros Regime because my armor gives me extra Rate of Fire for my Arc Weaponry and makes Arc weapons chain off enemies. Or something cool like that. Right now the elements are just shallow as fuck and how they're implemented is boring.

SheHateMe

Doing stuff like that really gives a player the option to personalize their build. I'm going to rock this Arc Suros Regime because my armor gives me extra Rate of Fire for my Arc Weaponry and makes Arc weapons chain off enemies.

This made me drool. And so we don't end up too OP, the chain only procs when the enemy has either arc shielding or no shield.

Bungie should just survey us. At the very least we could nudge them in the right direction.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Yup. They can even throw elements into the mix-Make certain gear power up certain elements-IE an armor set of Solar buffs, on my Solar titan, using Solar weapons. Have exotics drop with different elements-They showed off a Solar Thunderlord IIRC. Imagine having Elemental versions of TLW to go along with that set of Solar armor.

Doing stuff like that really gives a player the option to personalize their build. I'm going to rock this Arc Suros Regime because my armor gives me extra Rate of Fire for my Arc Weaponry and makes Arc weapons chain off enemies. Or something cool like that. Right now the elements are just shallow as fuck and how they're implemented is boring.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. Heck, you could even make armor that goes with weapons manufacturers, elements, weapon type, any kind of stat. I mean, the easiest to imagine is a helmet with built-in enemy highlighting, or gloves that make your gun more stable, etc. Some exotic armor already has such perks, but I wish it was more like guns, where basic guns have random perks with varied effects and exotics have stronger/wackier ones. Legendary armor is all the same blandness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom