• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT37| Everything Old is New Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryck

Gonna attempt to do Oryx CM. We need one more person.

Not 100% we can pull this off but we are gonna try so patience will be required.

Ryck007

Edit: Full

So for Year 2 we've had:
  • Taken King Launch
  • Black Spindle Quest
  • King's Fall normal mode debuts
  • Sleeper Simulant Quest
  • Iron Banner Returns
  • King's Fall hard mode debuts
  • Trials of Osiris Returns
  • No Time to Explain Quest
  • Iron Banner Year 2, this time with Loot!
  • Festival of the Lost
  • November Patch
  • King's Fall Challenge Mode Debuts
  • December Patch with Balance changes & New Exotics
  • Sparrow Racing League
That's a hell of a packed 3 months, way more than Year 1. I think Bungie should be proud of all of that.

But I have wonder what comes next. Are we going to be coasting for a bit on Iron Banners, cycling Challenge Bosses and chasing new Year 2 exotics til the Spring Festival in like March?

I wouldn't call the Quests as bullet points of year 2. They were just time gated quests that were enabled / turned on. We have always had trials and IB. We've almost always had a raid and "hard mode" equivalent (not looking at you, poe). And patches.

It's really only been:
1) TTK, releasing parts from quests then the rest all at once (includes old exotics).
2) Festival
3) Sparrow Racing
4) Challenge mode.

So for Year 2 we've had:
  • Taken King Launch Off to a great start
  • Black Spindle Quest This was fun
  • King's Fall normal mode debuts Keeping that momentum going
  • Sleeper Simulant Quest This felt like cheap time gated stuff
  • Iron Banner Returns Reruns
  • King's Fall hard mode debuts Love dem raids.
  • Trials of Osiris Returns Reruns
  • No Time to Explain Quest This felt like cheap time gated stuff
  • Iron Banner Year 2, this time with Loot! You shouldn't be counting this twice.
  • Festival of the Lost This was fun, but required real world $ to really enjoy.
  • November Patch What? Other than weapon parts, does anyone remember anything specific about this?
  • King's Fall Challenge Mode Debuts it's nothing.jpeg
  • December Patch with Balance changes & New Exotics it's nothing again.jpeg
  • Sparrow Racing League Actually fun (but not for everyone).
That's a hell of a packed 3 months, way more than Year 1. I think Bungie should be proud of all of that.

But I have wonder what comes next. Are we going to be coasting for a bit on Iron Banners, cycling Challenge Bosses and chasing new Year 2 exotics til the Spring Festival in like March?

Comments in bold above.

GhaleonEB

I wouldn't call the Quests as bullet points of year 2. They were just time gated quests that were enabled / turned on. We have always had trials and IB. We've almost always had a raid and "hard mode" equivalent (not looking at you, poe). And patches.

It's really only been:
1) TTK, releasing parts from quests then the rest all at once (includes old exotics).
2) Festival
3) Sparrow Racing
4) Challenge mode.
While some of the things he listed were in TTK but slow rolled out, there were changes to both IB and Trials, and also new gear into the mix, as well as important changes to how bounties and quests in Crubible worked. It might be expected, but it's also new to year 2 and represents output from the team to build and release. Likewise HM. The new exotics and year 2 versions are not gimmies either, their perk trees had to be reworked.

I think the "we've come to expect that" mentality is actually a pretty hard one for Bungie to have to deal with. Yes, we've always had updates. But they represent a large and increasing workload to maintain and should definitely count in the tally of Bungie's output for the year.

Comments in bold above.

RE: Iron Banner returns. It was the changes to the most recent go around - packages, updates to the bounties and quests - that got me to run it, for the first time ever. From my experience with it and what I read here, it seemed to be a big improvement over the first one post-TTK; I think that's noteworthy.

KxoZz

320 ghost from totems
319 chest from golgoroth
320 helmet from oryx challenge
317 primary from oryx
Got my Warlock up to 319
Finally got The Fermi Solution from Dead Orbit package.

Today was a good day.

RE: Iron Banner returns. It was the changes to the most recent go around - packages, updates to the bounties and quests - that got me to run it, for the first time ever. From my experience with it and what I read here, it seemed to be a big improvement over the first one post-TTK; I think that's noteworthy.

Ehh, I'll concede that one, if you'd like.

Trakan

Fixing a problem over a year later shouldn't be praised.

Magik

The true challenge about Oryx CM is really the teleporting Ogres and the Physics.

Too many runs where the Orge teleports or a member of the team dies from the Physics.

Also, anyone else having problems with the PlayStation app on their phone? Every time i go to it i always have the same people online. I have yo sign out and sign back in to update the list. I tried uninstalling and then installing it again, but it did not work.

GhaleonEB

Fixing a problem over a year later shouldn't be praised.

The question is what was Bungie's tally of released content and updates since TTK. The Iron Banner and Crucible updates came in that time frame, and should be noted if we're going to discuss such a list. That's really the entirety of my point.

(That said, I do think they should be praised since they made the event markedly better and more rewarding. Many of the changes were also not a year in coming but rather to things rolled out with TTK, such as the quests. But that's a side note to the point I was making.)

I think it's clear that the output is less than what we got last year with The Dark Below, which makes sense since part of the goal was to reduce the crunch on the team, and move to the Live team for smaller, more regular updates. So while the releases between TTK and now have been smaller than last year, I'm guessing what we get between now and HoW will balance it out. Curious to see how it all balances out. (The events are also sort of an apples to oranges comparison to DLC.)

Trakan

The question is what was Bungie's tally of released content and updates since TTK. The Iron Banner and Crucible updates came in that time frame, and should be noted if we're going to discuss such a list. That's really the entirety of my point.

(That said, I do think they should be praised since they made the event markedly better and more rewarding. Many of the changes were also not a year in coming but rather to things rolled out with TTK, such as the quests. But that's a side note to the point I was making.)

IB and Trials shouldn't count as released content either.

IB and Trials shouldn't count as released content either.

Trials moreso since the only new thing is how the bounty system changed.

Counting IB as new content is....er, it's like calling each Nightfall that comes out every week 'new content'. 'Oh this nightfall is completely different from last weeks with new modifiers!'.

Melchiah

How I wish I could select a heroic strike. It has given me the SABER one several times in a row during the past weeks, and I wish I could just exclude it from the circulation. Surprisingly, I got the Omnigul strike for the first time in a couple of months, after I got TTK. It seems like most year one strikes are excluded from the heroic circulation? Shame, if so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom