• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT40| Killed by the Architects

SpecX

Ok, I've taken a nice break from Destiny and I'm ready to jump back in. Are groups doing raids again now that the light level has boosted?

Sounds like Bungie is making CoE fun with the modifiers. I think this is a great idea! I need to get some Variks rep. I want that emblem and those ships.
It is especially fun for voidwalkers this week.

Although running through it 9 times is a bit of a slog. Once I hit 335 on all chars I'll probably stop going for the cumulative. I'm not a fan of how the PoE armor looks anyway.

Had the roughest Trials times ever this weekend. Had to reset on Friday after a double loss on games 2 & 3, and then the sweatiest card I've ever run AND WE FAILED FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER. Look at how many rounds we gave up. It was infuriating!

iCojuZN.png

Compare it with last night's Redemption run! So smooth. Only one loss!

But what happened Friday night? Was there too much pressure from Day 1 of Season 2 to perform? Did I have too much rust from me taking so much time off?

Our K/Ds were pretty good:
Ape John Igor
1.39 1.28 1.59

So what's up? Let's look at the teams we got matched up against:

Woof! No wonder. Not only did we get matched up against 4 teams on Friday night higher than us, most teams below ours were still pretty close! Compare to our smooth sailing Redemption run. Most of the teams were well below us except a high ranked team doing a carry (their ELOs are in the 1800s, while Ape & Igor are ~1550).

So, the Redemption run was easier, I did better right? Weirdly, no:
Ape John Igor
1.61 1.06 2.42

What's going on here? Well, averages hide a lot, especially when your performance can be so swingy between sweaty and non-sweaty rounds. So I decided to do a deeper dive into our performance in sweaty games. I categorizes games as sweaty if we gave up 3 or more rounds and then ranked our K/Ds from best to worst, independent of the game they occurred in:

Look at the difference! Sweat free games are murderhouses! Ape & I do well, but Igor is off the chain! (Isn't there a Bladedancer medal that's chain related?)

Look how many games Igor & Ape were able to stay above 1.0 K/D in Sweaty matches! They were only negative 4-5 matches, and keep in mind, we lost 5 matches.

Also note that on Sweat Free games, they never went negative, while I did.

Here are the actual average K/Ds:

fVFA3XC.png

This explains why on a sweaty card, I contribute more. Both because I'm not a slayerbot9000 of the newbs and because on sweaty rounds, Igor & Ape are closer to my normal K/D. But it does reveal that in sweaty games I'm a liability.

My take away's here:
  • Focus on improving sweaty K/D, that sub-1.0 K/D is shameful.
  • Focus on improving the low end of my sweat free K/D, rather than the high-end.

Axoman

Last night I was looking for a quick Golgy kill on xbox side. I actually saw groups say LFM 325+ Light. So painful, sometimes.

Edit: Looks like some more good ones today.

Hey, if you ever need anyone for PvE stuff on the Xbox side, don't hesitate to ask me. I've got a few guys I regularly fool around in crucible with, but it's hard to get enough people to raid these days.

I was trying to run golgo last night, but could only get 3 people. I try to avoid LFG at all costs.

Those will be the days.

Hurry and finish Bloodborne Dlc so you can play DS3!

I know! That first DLC boss eats me alive. I might just have to suck it up and summon help.

snip awesome stat collecting and analysis

I wouldn't sweat your stats that much. Ask Drizz. Stats are somewhat important but there are no stats for Teamwork including communication, putting yourself in good positions to aid teammates, push or pull back, put any kind of body shots or nades or super to make opponents move uncomfortably, and not putting yourself in bad positions to be revived. Not to mention KD doesn't show assists. Callouts are the biggest thing and all of those tools aren't shown on stats and are HUGE.

Many times I can get a firebolt and burn 1 to 2 people and my teammates will clean up and that's perfect. It of course happens the other way around as well. All that matters in the end is the W and you can't measure the value you provide your teammates from the essentials mentioned above. Not to mention things like knowing where your teammates are and what your opponents are (class and loadout) and calling out where each orb is and whatnot.

This is not to take away from great stat collecting because I'm a lover of stats! Just wanted to let some insight to not use those stats as the main source of performance. It's definitely useful to want to improve :D

Hey, if you ever need anyone for PvE stuff on the Xbox side, don't hesitate to ask me. I've got a few guys I regularly fool around in crucible with, but it's hard to get enough people to raid these days.

I was trying to run golgo last night, but could only get 3 people. I try to avoid LFG at all costs.

For sure, man. Last night I was just looking for something quick. I did post here and discord when I had a spot open for a NF on Xbox but that was about all I did haha.

Had the roughest Trials times ever this weekend. Had to reset on Friday after a double loss on games 2 & 3, and then the sweatiest card I've ever run AND WE FAILED FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER. Look at how many rounds we gave up. It was infuriating!
(Lots snipped)

I really like reading your analysis! Would love if this kind of comparitive drill down was available on one of the start tracking pages. I know the raw data is, but I'm too lazy to collate it like this. Really interesting to see!

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Guys do you think there will a PSN sale soon for Destiny? I tried the demo and i liked it a lot. Retail is not an option because in my country the game remains at full price even after this long ass time.

Guys do you think there will a PSN sale soon for Destiny? I tried the demo and i liked it a lot. Retail is not an option because in my country the game remains at full price even after this long ass time.

I think there's a flash sale coming this weekend and also there's usually deals for golden week. I don't know if Destiny would be included in either though

Gonna have the newbie raid on Thursday this week. Crota's End!

Come check out the breakneck-paced raid and have a turn on the sword that started all this Taken trouble...

Thursday, April 21st at 9:00PM EST - Crota's End Newbie Raid (5 spots remaining)

Sign up here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1DcCXWHn5EYFKlJmPjawNCHovK8v9IrBORo3WrcPfTE8/viewform?usp=send_form

I signed up. I have never completely finished the new raid. I am a bad Destiny fan. I would love to go if a spot is open.

Look at the difference! Sweat free games are murderhouses! Ape & I do well, but Igor is off the chain! (Isn't there a Bladedancer medal that's chain related?)

Confirmed once again, Igor is amazing at PvP. Those
Igor
strats

Love the breakdown John! Where's that blog at? How come they haven't given you a guest column on Planet Destiny yet?

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I think there's a flash sale coming this weekend and also there's usually deals for golden week. I don't know if Destiny would be included in either though

I see thanks! Hopefully it is included, it's funny the last time Destiny was on sale i could have bought it but i think i wasn't interested in destiny stuff at all in that period.

ZeroCoin

Gonna have the newbie raid on Thursday this week. Crota's End!

Come check out the breakneck-paced raid and have a turn on the sword that started all this Taken trouble...

Thursday, April 21st at 9:00PM EST - Crota's End Newbie Raid (5 spots remaining)

Sign up here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1DcCXWHn5EYFKlJmPjawNCHovK8v9IrBORo3WrcPfTE8/viewform?usp=send_form

If you end up needing an extra person or someone drops out, I'd jump in for sure. Don't want to take a spot two weeks in a row if there's interest from others.

Top Bottom