• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT40| Killed by the Architects

Just saw rusted lands in a french stream with 100 viewers drizz

Yeah I'm seeing Twilight Gap on a few streams in the Destiny directory. Presumably Memento is in there as well. Bleh. What a motley collection. Almost as if "Earth Day!" isn't a good way to select Trials-appropriate maps. FailFish

You guys didn't miss much, Black Shield is an abomination.

So very true. I never liked it but didn't hate it as much year 1. But after last week it's firmly in the bottom trash-tier for me.

Top o' Pops edit:

Did they pick a good map?

y2RTXzH.png

Hooray for Earth Day!

Agent

Haven't been to the Lighthouse in year 2. Doesn't look like this is a good week to try that. I missed out on the first year 2 emblem, don't want to miss out on the new one. Hopefully next week is a better map.

First Trials since I said I was going to step back from Destiny. Was seriously thinking of messaging Igor & Ape & saying if I ask if they can play a card to say no. That's how weak I was.

But rotating maps w/ Bannerfall, Frontier & Memento? Woof.

Thanks for helping me stay strong, Bungie!

Snark aside:
I think it's really cool that they're being a little proactive and actually curating Trials maps instead of just setting it on Auto-Pilot like the rest of Year 2.

Sure they can. Burning Shrine, Exodus Blue, Cauldron, Anomaly, Rusted Lands, Asylum, Pantheon are all cool maps. Hell even Delphi.

Forget Frontier and Memento exist. And Widow's Court and Black Shield. And Bannerfall.

Why though? Because they take one out of their comfortable cookie cutter strategy? I like that it does that.

ocean

Banned
Why though? Because they take one out of their comfortable cookie cutter strategy? I like that it does that.
I'm sorry I'm not sure I understand what this means? Some maps flow terribly and encourage campy play. They're not fun to play or watch. I don't think people hate on Memento or some others because it "takes one out of a comfortable cookie cutter strategy", though it might be because I don't quite understand what this means (an idiom perhaps? It's not my first language).

ocean

Banned
Widow's Court is an awesome Trials map.
I think the best maps are those which allow close combat encounters as well as having sniper lanes. Widow's Court is PvP peekaboo, everything is snipes. Guess it's a matter of opinion though, totally willing to concede that.

Acidote

Why? I've only done a couple of PoE41's, but I don't recall the matchmaking being any more or less shitty than anything else in the game. The only problem is quitters if you don't get the taken version.

The problem is that they stay for one or two rounds and then someone leaves and everyone who joins later leaves too.

I'm sorry I'm not sure I understand what this means? Some maps flow terribly and encourage campy play. They're not fun to play or watch. I don't think people hate on Memento or some others because it "takes one out of a comfortable cookie cutter strategy", though it might be because I don't quite understand what this means (an idiom perhaps? It's not my first language).

I think that really great trials players get miffed when the map doesn't suit their tactics. It forces them to deal with campers, surprises, and frankly more of a challenge. Keep in mind that the maps are shared by both teams. Its not like it's not a level playing field in that way.

I know that some players get upset when they can't employ a strategy that works on their fave maps...and these maps are faves because they can use that strategy. When a map comes along that takes that away, its considered a 'bad map'.

I don't mean to offend here, but let's be honest. Trials for some people is like a factory job. Do this predictable thing, over and over..employ this strategy for map X because it is the one that works. Anything that shakes that up I think is a good thing.

I suck at trials, so I probably don't know what I am talking about. Just my minor opinion is all.

I think that really great trials players get miffed when the map doesn't suit their tactics. It forces them to deal with campers, surprises, and frankly more of a challenge. Keep in mind that the maps are shared by both teams. Its not like it's not a level playing field in that way.

I know that some players get upset when they can't employ a strategy that works on their fave maps...and these maps are faves because they can use that strategy. When a map comes along that takes that away, its considered a 'bad map'.

I don't mean to offend here, but let's be honest. Trials for some people is like a factory job. Do this predictable thing, over and over..employ this strategy for map X because it is the one that works. Anything that shakes that up I think is a good thing.

I suck at trials, so I probably don't know what I am talking about. Just my minor opinion is all.
You're mostly right, actually, except for the both teams being on the same map thing. They're not and they won't be until the spawn rotates every round.

Daemul

Depending on how much progress I make on my report I may be able to play Trials today with any fellow Xboners, I'll see how things go, because I've sat in front of my laptop all day and have barely written anything lol

WeTeHa

The problem is that they stay for one or two rounds and then someone leaves and everyone who joins later leaves too.

That's a big problem with destiny's playerbase in general. bungie doesn't punish quitters, which is just ridiculous. The heroic strike playlist was absolutely terrible since the update. People always quitting if they don't get the taken archon priest or malok strike.

I don't know if it actually does anything but I usually report people for quitting if it starts to piss me off.

That's a big problem with destiny's playerbase in general. bungie doesn't punish quitters, which is just ridiculous. The heroic strike playlist was absolutely terrible since the update. People always quitting if they don't get the taken archon priest or malok strike.

I don't know if it actually does anything but I usually report people for quitting if it starts to piss me off.

I, foolishly, did Omnigul and I had 6 or 7 pairs of people join and quit before I got two "keepers".

At least people are actually in the playlist hopper...but the quit levels are bonkers.

Daemul

I'm not sure about other people but I don't hate maps like Black Shield because they force me to change my playstyle or something, I can comfortably adapt and camp my ass off with the best of them, I've had to do this a lot in my FPS career, what I hate is the style of play that maps like that encourage. A map which encourages people to camp is a bad map, regardless of how good I personally am at camping, and I'm a god tier camper if I may say so myself. :p

Sorry just saw your post.

I actually found an LFG group. First try everything and they took my in at 320. You guys must get very unlucky in your LFG groups.
Some of my Xbox live friends were found through LFG when I was first doing VoG way back when. LFG has some crazy kids but for the most part it's been my main source of getting raids done quickly.

Wait so what's part of the rotating maps? Memento? Ugh gross

Edit, I guess it's all earth maps?

Twilight Gap (Vanilla)
Rusted Lands (Vanilla)
Exodus Blue (Vanilla PS / Taken King XB)
Widow's Court (House of Wolves)
Bannerfall (Taken King)
Frontier (Taken King)
Memento (Taken King)

Exodus blue is the only good one. Rusted Lands is ok. The rest can burn. Blah

aarcane

Maybe :p. What's your GT?

GT: danthehack

Anyone playing on XB1, feel free to add me. As a bonus, you get to laugh at my incompetence.

Just got a 329 NM auto rifle to use as infusion fuel, trying to decide which gun I should level up. My choices:

Finnala's Peril (325) - Rangefinder/Rifled Barrel/Hidden Hand
Suros Regime (323)
Bad Juju (296)
Hawksaw (294) - Fitted Stock/Counterbalance/Smallbore (vendor version)
Arminius-D (308) - Crowd Control/Counterbalance/Braced Frame

Others: TLW, MIDA, Monte Carlo, No Land Beyond, First Curse

Any thoughts? I've got a 326 Final Duty that I can use as well.

Daemul

Wait so what's part of the rotating maps? Memento? Ugh gross

Edit, I guess it's all earth maps?

Twilight Gap (Vanilla)
Rusted Lands (Vanilla)
Exodus Blue (Vanilla PS / Taken King XB)
Widow's Court (House of Wolves)
Bannerfall (Taken King)
Frontier (Taken King)
Memento (Taken King)

Exodus blue is the only good one. Rusted Lands is ok. The rest can burn. Blah

Widow's Court, Frontier, Memento, Bannerfall....Jesus

Lord have mercy

WeTeHa

I, foolishly, did Omnigul and I had 6 or 7 pairs of people join and quit before I got two "keepers".

At least people are actually in the playlist hopper...but the quit levels are bonkers.

Yeah it's insane. In pve, If someone quits via the menu/going to orbit several times in a row he should be punished.
In pvp the punishment should be more severe and happen after the first quit.

Does a strike need to be on heroic in order for it's unique item to drop at 335?

Don't think so. However, in my experience the strike stuff drops more frequently in the heroic playlist. I wouldn't count on it, though. If I need something I generally use the nightfall (much higher chance).

Also, Krafty optimized his gear? Damn, he's at tier 5/5/1 now :p

Watching Ramblinnn stream Trials as a Nightstalker, holy crap, that class is busted.

Wombocombo, roll, twitch snipe, roll, twitch snipe, roll, jump, roll, twitch snipe, wombo combo.

I think that really great trials players get miffed when the map doesn't suit their tactics.

I'm no pro, but my own like/dislike comes from a different place: many maps don't suit the mode itself.

You make a good point that individual tactics are biases, but remember that Trials itself is very biased. It plays *very* differently than any other game mode. Snipers for instance are used between 70-90%. The team size is small.

Nobody wants to play Trials on a vehicle map, for instance, even though that would suit the sniper-heavy biases of most Trials players. Many of the Year 2 maps are Rift maps first and don't play especially great for Trials.

So big maps are a pain because they're slow for an already slower 3s gametype. (Frontier, looking at you). Rift maps suck because the lanes are designed for running, rather than pure combat (looking at you, Memento). Maps that are small aren't always great either when they're too constrained and combat feels repetitive even within a single match.

Exodus Blue is a great example. It's abysmal in 6s. It's the prototypical Mayhem map. You're always being shot at by 6 people. Meanwhile, it's great for Trials because there's no downtime between spawn & finding the enemy, has a good variety of open and tight places, and has lots of options for movement.

Daemul

Lumi, Anbu and Hype are gonna be fun to watch in tomorrow's all-Legendary tourney. I expect Hawksaw and DoP eeeeeverywhere :p

FTFY

Guess it will make a difference from watching everyone Thorn each other, but I may just skip it, sweaty tournies don't have the same charm they used to, too many good players have left the game.

You need to catch me up on the drama. Extremizm has beef with WYL?

What the story behind this? I don't pay much attention to ExtremIzm's and WYL's nonsense these days.

Watching Kraftyy. The amount of nonsense that has affected Kraftyy's blade is ridiculous. I just watched him get Blinkstriked directly to his face and it was enough to kill him mid-blade. Bones of Eao who just jumped twice and dodged every swipe.

Don't know how he stays so upbeat.

Maybe all that "chocolate milk"

spyder_ur

Sure they can. Burning Shrine, Exodus Blue, Cauldron, Anomaly, Rusted Lands, Asylum, Pantheon are all cool maps. Hell even Delphi.

Forget Frontier and Memento exist. And Widow's Court and Black Shield. And Bannerfall.

All you have to look at is what the reaction was last time those 'cool maps' were the Trials map to see that they can't win.

Not everyone likes every map. That's fine. I think they do a pretty good job and rotating is always good by me.

Axoman

When it comes to trials maps for me, I don't enjoy the maps that have obvious spawn advantages. I still have a hard time understanding why they refuse to alternate spawns.

So the problem in my eyes with trials map selection, and why it's such a heated topic every week, is that Bungie seemingly lost the ability to create balanced, competitively viable maps with the arrival of Halo Reach. Hell, even Halo 3 had its fair share of stinkers. When I stop to think about a destiny map that I really like, a map that really works well...yeah I'll be here for a while. Just think about how many assymetrical maps this game has, and we're looking for competitive maps for an elimination mode where spawns do not alternate for some inexplicable reason.

Even the symmetrical maps in this game are only kind of; they fall prey to the ever so popular "functional symmetry" bullshit. Cauldron? Almost, but not quite. Also, enjoy your doors. Black shield? Nope. Again, camp some more with your doors! Bannerfall isn't completely symmetrical either, but that map has some real flow problems going on. Frontier is "functionally symmetrical", we all know how that piece of garbage plays out.

Of course there is also the issue of the over done visual clutter on pretty much all of destiny's map. My character gets tripped up on some dumb step or rock, my grenade hits some low hanging rafter because it fits the design aesthetic, I can't snipe a dude because he has the fucking sun behind him, etc.

Simply put, Destiny just isn't a competitively designed game, not in the mechanics and certainly not in the maps. This becomes painfully obvious when trying to treat it as one with trials, which can be very fun but frustrating for the wrong reasons. Triple sunsingers, cool... The competitive destiny community would be able to do wonders with tops like forge and custom game settings. Until then, enjoy Memento and Frontier today.

Top Bottom