• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT8| Whine and Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this game have any good maps?

At least for control. None of them seem specifically designed for an objective mode. Lopsidedness pretty much everywhere.

The dumbest example I can think of is point B on Exodus Blue. One team gets a clear line of sight at that area while the other gets a stack of boxes obstructing their view.

Why?

Fucking why?

Steroyd

Well I'll be damned, if you press the jump button while lifting or gliding you cancel it, that will make me not sit there having tea and biscuits waiting for my Warlock to land, anymore.

ocean

Banned
Raid pros, assuming you don't have Vision of Confluence or Fatebringer at your disposal, what would your weapon load out for the Raid look like? I wanna know what you pros are using for each segment. Same load out for the entire thing? Or do you change between segments?

Share the knowledge!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yes
At least for control.
No.

I can't help it, I've started looking at control as training wheels mode now. it's great for learning the maps. then you graduate to the better modes. in my humble opinion of course.

blind watch, exodus blue, firebase delphi and twilight gap are just awful on control, but I really enjoy at least a couple of them in rumble, and delphi in clash (although four times in a row was a bit excessive...)

Well I'll be damned, if you press the jump button while lifting or gliding you cancel it, that will make me not sit there having tea and biscuits waiting for my Warlock to land, anymore.
you can hit it again while falling to reactivate. awesome ways to use momentum

Marvel

could never

lol, I thought everyone knew this. Glad you do now though!

Yes

No.

I can't help it, I've started looking at control as training wheels mode now. it's great for learning the maps. then you graduate to the better modes. in my humble opinion of course.

blind watch, exodus blue, firebase delphi and twilight gap are just awful on control, but I really enjoy at least a couple of them in rumble, and delphi in clash (although four times in a row was a bit excessive...)

yup i agree. shores is the only good control map if you ignore the spawn issues.

Jito

Banned
Why is it we still get the same shit bounties every day? They repeat so often it hurts. How hard would it be to put some new ones out, bet Bungie are saving them for DLC though.

JB1981

I think the only gun that makes sense with the games vertical movement is the hand cannon since it is somewhat viable shooting from the hip. I simply don't understand the decision to make this an ADS game with vertical gameplay. The two design philosophies clash with each other

Namikaze1

Raid pros, assuming you don't have Vision of Confluence or Fatebringer at your disposal, what would your weapon load out for the Raid look like? I wanna know what you pros are using for each segment. Same load out for the entire thing? Or do you change between segments?

Share the knowledge!
When not using VoC, I use Suros for primary with Athean's Epilogue as backup. Ice Breaker and Praedyth's Revenge for special. Gjallahorn and Corrective Measure for heavy.

Conflux Phase:
Suros
Praedyth
CM

Oracles phase:
Athean
Praedyth
Gjallahorn

Templar phase
Athean
Ice Breaker
CM

Gatekeepers phase
Athean
Praedyth
Gjallahorn

Athean phase
Athean
Ice Breakers
CM

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think the only gun that makes sense with the games vertical movement is the hand cannon since it is somewhat viable shooting from the hip. I simply don't understand the decision to make this an ADS game with vertical gameplay. The two design philosophies clash with each other
lol titanfall am cry

Trakan

I wish the guns looked and sounded more different from each other, at least the unique ones.

Why does Fatebringer look and sound like a level 1 white handcannon you can get 10 minutes into the game?

ocean

Banned
When not using VoC, I use Suros for primary with Athean's Epilogue as backup. Ice Breaker and Praedyth's Revenge for special. Gjallahorn and Corrective Measure for heavy.

Conflux Phase:
Suros
Praedyth
CM

Oracles phase:
Athean
Praedyth
Gjallahorn

Templar phase
Athean
Ice Breaker
CM

Gatekeepers phase
Athean
Praedyth
Gjallahorn

Athean phase
Athean
Ice Breakers
CM

This is gold. I have Atheon's Epilogue, Ice Breaker and Suros. I'd use Hezen Vengeance/Truth as a Gjallarhorn substitute and a Void Zombie Apocalypse in CM's place. This is similar to what I was using, and it's nice to have a confirmation that my head was in the right place.

Steroyd

Share the knowledge!

Atheon's Epilogue
Ice Breaker
Some Rocket Launcher

Atheon's Epilogue is the type I want to switch out, but never do because it's so useful against Minotaurs/Praetorians which I face often, and it roflstomps oracles when maxed of course.

lol, I thought everyone knew this. Glad you do now though!

It was never a thing that bothered me until I went Warlock, still hate Glide, but it's more tolerable now.

probably an unpopular opinion, but i'm starting to dislike the way this game handles.

-sparrow can get stuck on the most ridiculous piece of geometry and you're sitting there slowly flipping, debating whether you can keep going or will fall off.

-interceptor's a dull, slow and clunky piece of junk.

-hidden cooldowns on sprinting and sliding.

-randomly sprinting or being pulled out of ADS mid-fight.

-can't shoot anything for two seconds after landing from a high jump because of "fall stun".

-not being able to hit the broad side of the barn after your first jump due to accuracy pentalties. makes the combat linear and flat. in multiplayer, it lowers the skill gap during engagements and closes up the maps.

-enemies walking in front of your crosshair and pulling it with them because of the auto aim. when i want to shoot an explosive crate behind a group of enemies, the game wants me to shoot at the enemies instead.

i'm sure there are more. all of these have been frustrating me exponentially over the last few weeks.

JB1981

lol titanfall am cry

It's the main reason why a skilled shotgun user is so hard to stop. There is no need to go ADS so you have full mobility. There was this guy on the opposing team the other day who was just unstoppable because he jumped around all over the place just destroying people with the shotty. He makes up so much ground while you are immobile due to ADS. Also fuck the auto rifle, it's still too OP at range

ocean

Banned
Atheon's Epilogue
Ice Breaker
Some Rocket Launcher

Atheon's Epilogue is the type I want to switch out, but never do because it's so useful against Minotaurs/Praetorians which I face often, and it roflstomps oracles when maxed of course.

It was never a thing, that bothered me until I went Warlock, still hate Glide, but it's more tolerable now.

My AE is fully maxed out and it rips Praetorian shields like butter. It's also great on Oracles but it's kind of hard to use against Goblins/Hobgoblins/Fanatics during Conflux phases I think.

patchday

At least for control. None of them seem specifically designed for an objective mode. Lopsidedness pretty much everywhere.

The dumbest example I can think of is point B on Exodus Blue. One team gets a clear line of sight at that area while the other gets a stack of boxes obstructing their view.

Why?

Fucking why?

We were just talking bout this the other day how the maps are awful for Control. I only enjoy that mode on my defender titan really.

probably an unpopular opinion, but i'm starting to dislike the way this game handles.

-sparrow can get stuck on the most ridiculous piece of geometry and you're sitting there slowly flipping, debating whether you can keep going or will fall off.

-interceptor's a dull, slow and clunky piece of junk.

-hidden cooldowns on sprinting and sliding

-randomly sprinting or being pulled out of ADS mid-fight

-can't shoot anything for two seconds after landing from a high jump because of "fall stun".

-not being able to hit the broad side of the barn after your first jump due to accuracy pentalties. makes the combat linear and flat. in multiplayer, it lowers the skill gap during engagements and closes up the maps.

-enemies walking in front of your crosshair and pulling it with them because of the auto aim. when i want to shoot an explosive crate behind a group of enemies, the game wants me to shoot at the enemies instead.

i'm sure there are more. all of these have been frustrating me exponentially over the last few weeks.

I hate this....ugh. Almost kill an enemy in Crucible only to have his teammate get in my sights and have the auto aim "lock" on the other guy.

Yes

No.

you can hit it again while falling to reactivate. awesome ways to use momentum

I tend to prefer objective based modes in shooters. Probably because I play solo most of the time and everyone kind of knows what they're doing. The times where I'm on a map the clearly favours one team while I'm on the other trying to flip spawns and being no back up is the most painful shit I've had to deal with in a shooter. Then when I finally do some dumbaas flips it back.

I feel like the other modes are pretty much decided by who gets the heavy ammo spawn.

Lulu23

So if you find an Exotic during a mission or a strike or whatever (as in "PlayerX has found X Weapon" in yellow writing in the bottom left corner of the screen) you have to finish that mission in order to be awarded with that gear?
Because yesterday I "found" an exotic hand cannon during a strike I did with a friend, but even after 10+ tries and 2h later we couldn't manage to beat the final boss, leading to me not receiving the weapon I found.

Steroyd

Another point of enlightment while rocking a Warlock, why does the flame shield get a timer, but a Defender Titan's force field is just guess work?

Why Bungie, why?

decided to make a new char, beat the first mission and right away go try some pvp as level 2... get pitted against level 29s and 30s. i don't even have double jump or a heavy weapon or ANYTHING yet! besides the first assault rifle and sniper rifle, lol. nice job with the matchmaking Bungie.

Tovarisc

Double the ghosts didn't make phase go twice as fast :(

Wbl4XSL.jpg

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Jesus!
Dem' Hardonic Essence, I'm set till Destiny 3
Wish I could do a 2:1 or hell 3:1 to swap for the other classes
brnA7a7.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The R97, any gun at close range. I don't see the problem.
man "any gun at close range" i feel like applies just about equally to titanfall and destiny. using the R101 without ADS at standard engagement range is madness and I did pretty awful with the R97 the few times I tried it so I defer to you on that. generally speaking ADS is massively important in titanfall, I think this is the first time I've ever seen anyone argue otherwise!
I tend to prefer objective based modes in shooters. Probably because I play solo most of the time and everyone kind of knows what they're doing. The times where I'm on a map the clearly favours one team while I'm on the other trying to flip spawns and being no back up is the most painful shit I've had to deal with in a shooter. Then when I finally do some dumbaas flips it back.

I feel like the other modes are pretty much decided by who gets the heavy ammo spawn.
funny, I always prefer to have a premade group even more for objective modes. the feeling of being put on a team you can't control that ignores or misunderstands the right approach to the objectives is so much more painful than a mode where everyone gets that they just need to kill people. but obviously a team of people you can talk to is best 100% of the time. most fun for me solo is rumble by a mile.
i'm sure it's not that unpopular, i've seen a lot of similar complaints. I don't have much of a problem the controls the, except the option to tone down the auto-aim is really really necessary, and I don't touch the interceptor with a ten foot pole. every game with vehicles in which you can get out of the vehicle has had some geometry-related wonkiness, and for the most part I think the sparrow controls are sublime. so much fun. I've never randomly sprinted mid-fight personally, and the sprint stamina thing also stopped bothering me once I got the hang of it. taken as a whole honestly destiny has some of my favorite fps controls on a console and I definitely wouldn't have been enjoying the game as much otherwise.

hand cannon accuracy in the air was just buffed and I kinda like the "fall stun" animation :-x

Jito

Banned
man "any gun at close range" i feel like applies just about equally to titanfall and destiny. using the R101 without ADS at standard engagement range is madness and I did pretty awful with the R97 the few times I tried it so I defer to you on that. generally speaking ADS is massively important in titanfall, I think this is the first time I've ever seen anyone argue otherwise!

Yeh it's essential to the game no doubt, but it's a lie to say the guns are useless without. Played over 150 hours of the game and killed plenty of players with and without ADS on multiple guns. Git Gud?

Edit: though if you're not playing on PC I can see how it'd be hard to aim properly.

Share the knowledge!

Conflux phase:

Suros
Praedyth
Hezen Vengeance

Oracles:

Epilogue
Ice Breaker
Hezen Vengeance

Templar:

Suros
Praedyth
Hezen Vengeance

Gatekeepers:

Suros
LIGHT/Beware
Hezen Vengeance

Atheon:

Epilogue
Ice Breaker
Hezen Vengeance

My last loadout will probably change when the random teleports get implemented. I also have a VoC now so some of those are already different.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
lol I think this is the part where you go back and quote me saying the guns are useless without it!

my original reply (which was to jb...) could be fleshed out as: in titanfall the competitive gameplay is more vertical in nature and also emphasizes ads more than destiny. his reply "titanfall pilot gameplay is even worse" lines up with his position on the issue, and while I don't like ads in general I don't think it's a bad thing in that game.

i'm sure it's not that unpopular, i've seen a lot of similar complaints. I don't have much of a problem the controls the, except the option to tone down the auto-aim is really really necessary, and I don't touch the interceptor with a ten foot pole. every game with vehicles in which you can get out of the vehicle has had some geometry-related wonkiness, and for the most part I think the sparrow controls are sublime. so much fun. I've never randomly sprinted mid-fight personally, and the sprint stamina thing also stopped bothering me once I got the hang of it. taken as a whole honestly destiny has some of my favorite fps controls on a console and I definitely wouldn't have been enjoying the game as much otherwise.

hand cannon accuracy in the air was just buffed and I kinda like the "fall stun" animation :-x

i used to believe it was one of the best shooters mechanically and i would have stopped playing ages ago if i didn't like how it handled. but these issues have been taking me out of it for a while and they don't feel like something i can just get used to. it's been a struggle as much with RNG and lag as it has with inconsistent controls and it's gotten to the point where i enjoy shooting less and less.

i hope it's not my controller.

Share the knowledge!

i just use atheon's epilogue, icebreaker and my void rocket launcher with homing throughout. before that, it was suros, a void fusion rifle and a void machine gun. ideally, i'd pair atheon's epilogue or fate bringer with praedyth's revenge and gjallarhorn (basically the raid's bane), but i don't have the latter yet.

todd360

Share the knowledge!

Welp nami and fig listed a shit ton of weapons. So I guess I'll tell you my load out. I didn't realize they swapped that much haha. I use new monarchy auto rifle, ice breaker, raid rocket launcher. I swap out new monarchy auto for raid auto rifle during oracle phase though. I usually have relic for final boss. So I don't have to swap back to raid auto rifle for those oracles.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Edit: though if you're not playing on PC I can see how it'd be hard to aim properly.
it's like you think at some point I said, "you can't ever get a kill in titanfall without using ADS." you said "plenty of guns can be used without it," I named the 3 I could think of, you added 1 more as well as "any gun at close range." the guns I mentioned can be used reasonably at their intended engagement range without any ADS. others can be used comfortably without ADS at close range. if I were to tell a new player, "plenty of guns in this game can be used without ADS, go for it!" do you really think I would not be misleading them in any way about the mechanics in titanfall?

i have no doubt that you're better at it than me, for the record. sorry for the derail.
i used to believe it was one of the best shooters mechanically and i would have stopped playing ages ago if i didn't like how it handled. but these issues have been taking me out of it for a while and they don't feel like something i can just get used to. it's been a struggle as much with RNG and lag as it has with inconsistent controls and it's gotten to the point where i enjoy shooting less and less.

i hope it's not my controller.
maybe you're just getting sick of it altogether and looking for something to pin it on? :p I know you've played a whole lot
no way this is hitting OT9 today if i'm double posting.
Lol. Hard to believe I know, but I think that one post every 3 minutes would get us there by ~11pm tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom