• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth: PS5 Pro vs PS5 - A Vast Improvement At 60FPS

WOW! It is indeed a night and day difference compared to my base PS5. Stunning!

PS5 Pro's performance mode simply crushes it's PS5''s performance mode counterpart and, to my eyes, it's even better than base PS5 graphics mode because it eliminates the ghosting effect and even aliviates the SSR noise in areas like water rendering.

I was already sold on the PS5 Pro...now I'm anxious to get my hands on it!!!

I'm not a PC gamer since I always preferred gaming on consoles. So I'm not used to these AI/Machine Learning based image reconstruction methods and I've only seen those in action in YouTube videos. But man...these are REALLY effective in tricking your eyes to perceive a lower resolution like something that approaches 4K image quality!!

Now I'm excited for what this can do for the Switch 2.

MikeM

Gold Member
The only reason you'd do this is if you're stuck in the trenches with FSR.

In which case, my condolences.
*cries in 7900xt*

In all seriousness thought, playing at 4k with FSR quality has still been a great experience.
I bet that GT7 with PSSR and RT will look better than the current game at 4K.
That and Elden Ring which are both on my backlog. I was thinking of selling my copy of Elden Ring and going PC but now i’m not sure…

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I just dont get bending to corporate overlords to state the fact of the product as I see it.
Who is bending to a corporate overlord? People are impressed and excited about new tech, isn't it why we are all here and discuss our hobbies rather than be TikTok or Instagram comment section normies?

This doesn't have to be an emotional 'fight the power moment,' as you are literally propping up a literal cooperate overlord in Nvidia at the same damned time calling them "God Tier."

Come on, son.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Very nice resolve from that ~1080p - 1200p base, night and day difference indeed.

Other interesting info:

- same base resolution as on PS5
- same graphical issues (like shadow pop in) are present
- slightly better framerate

So looks like all this 45% more power goes into adding PSSR to the game (that uses some high res buffers for some effects). That's more or less what I expected and should be common for games with no RT.

Overall, quite good.

Why is PSSR so expensive though? Isn't there hardware specifically for that in the Pro? 45% GPU power used just for that sounds crazy. Less than native 4K rendering, sure, but still.

Mr Moose

Shot-001__PS5-Graphics-Mode.jpg

Shot-001__PS5-Pro.jpg

I don't know, this says the opposite to me.
Why is PSSR so expensive though? Isn't there hardware specifically for that in the Pro? 45% GPU power used just for that sounds crazy. Less than native 4K rendering, sure, but still.
Framerate is solid now.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's a shame that despite the 45% increase in raw GPU power, the damn PSSR cost is taking up most if not all of it to reconstruct it. All the IQ issues he mentions towards the end compared to the fidelity mode are a result of them using a low 1080p-1180p base resolution to reconstruct from. 1440p or 4k quality would not have those issues with temporal stability.

This is precisely what I was warning about in the leak thread. FSR, DLSS, PSSR all have a cost of their own, and a 45% GPU bump was simply not going to be enough to get quality modes running at 60 fps even with PSSR. This is the 4th or 5th game now thats using PS5 performance mode settings and resolution on the Pro while spending all the extra GPU power on the PSSR reconstruction.

Other than that, its a big upgrade from that awful 60 fps mode which shouldnt have required PSSR in the first place, but thats japanese developers for you.

Go_Ly_Dow

Funny, Digital Foundry provides the best promotion for the PS5 Pro. :cool:
Can't say they're shills or biased either as they've been very scepitcal for the justification for a Pro model for well over a year now.

I guess this has erased their doubts and they'll be all aboard the Pro train hereafter.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Lighting is still ass.

I think I will keep waiting for the PC port where some modders will hopefully make some decent ReShade mods and not make the Planet's colors in daytime look like they're washed up.

Unless Square fucks up this port as well and the framerate is all over the place.

We'll see.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

It's a shame that despite the 45% increase in raw GPU power, the damn PSSR cost is taking up most if not all of it to reconstruct it. All the IQ issues he mentions towards the end compared to the fidelity mode are a result of them using a low 1080p-1180p base resolution to reconstruct from. 1440p or 4k quality would not have those issues with temporal stability.

This is precisely what I was warning about in the leak thread. FSR, DLSS, PSSR all have a cost of their own, and a 45% GPU bump was simply not going to be enough to get quality modes running at 60 fps even with PSSR. This is the 4th or 5th game now thats using PS5 performance mode settings and resolution on the Pro while spending all the extra GPU power on the PSSR reconstruction.

Other than that, its a big upgrade from that awful 60 fps mode which shouldnt have required PSSR in the first place, but thats japanese developers for you.
PS5-2_LU4lJWo.jpg

PS5-Pro-2.jpg

Bojji

Tell the truth, did Cerny have relations with you and Bojji Bojji 's wife?

Nt8gtyv.gif

FUCKING CERNY!

Game didn't have reconstruction before. For a console 1080p -> 4k reconstruction with FSR2 (for example) is quite expensive, not many games are doing this. PSSR has the same cost as FSR2 but PS5 version doesn't have that cost added, it's just simply upscaling so with PSSR to 4K added maybe there is no room for further improvements. Or maybe it is and we won't see that in games that get simple patches.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

racing games are not best for upscaling, even dlss in acc doesnt give best results
its funny. i never had an issue with gt sports running at 1800p cb on the pro. i thought it looked clean and crisp on my 4k tv.

did play forza at native 4k 60 fps since dlss was broken at launch and that was so clean i was salivating.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Nt8gtyv.gif

FUCKING CERNY!

Game didn't have reconstruction before. For a console 1080p -> 4k reconstruction with FSR2 (for example) is quite expensive, not many games are doing this. PSSR has the same cost as FSR2 but PS5 version doesn't have that cost added, it's just simply upscaling so with PSSR to 4K added maybe there is no room for further improvements. Or maybe it is and we won't see that in games that get simple patches.

I thought the ML hardware was supposed to minimize the reconstruction cost.

Mr Moose

He said that the IQ (PSSR) on PS5Pro looked 100% better than the IQ of PS5quality mode..... Which it is not. And that has already been seen in examples of other games analyzed.

The other thing (45% extra GPU) is another topic that could also be interesting to discuss and the cost of using PSSR.
I'm looking at those two pics and it is better. If you disagree then that's OK.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
He said that the IQ (PSSR) on PS5Pro looked 100% better than the IQ of PS5quality mode..... Which it is not. And that has already been seen in examples of other games analyzed.

The other thing (45% extra GPU) is another topic that could also be interesting to discuss and the cost of using PSSR.
It does look 100% better because it's a better IQ and DOUBLE the framerate.

Just stop, PS5Pro has broken some of y'all.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

Gold Member
It's a shame that despite the 45% increase in raw GPU power, the damn PSSR cost is taking up most if not all of it to reconstruct it.
Well I would look at it differently. FF7rebirth on base ps5 didnt use fsr only simplest bilinear upscaling that cost almost nothing. In pro Square could add pssr keeping same internal res and improving fps stability.

Last edited:

Bojji

I thought the ML hardware was supposed to minimize the reconstruction cost.

It has the same cost as FSR2 but produces much better results. Without ML hardware PSSR would cost more (like XeSS on non intel hardware).

If FFVIIR had FSR2 reconstruction to 4K on regular PS5 developers would have that 45% more power to improve some stuff. We don't know how much of it is left after adding reconstruction to 4k.

Last edited:

Bitstream

PSSR all have a cost of their own, and a 45% GPU bump was simply not going to be enough to get quality modes running at 60 fps even with PSSR.
Did you watch the video or closely analyze the pictures? Because that's exactly what it did... Actually, it did more. The image quality on the Pro is even more crisp than the PS5 Fidelity mode while running a smooth 60 fps.

Kangx

Maybe not, reconstruction to 4k potentially took all that performance away. Even Oliver said this in video.
He just speculate. The the performance he showed later on dispute this notion.

We are still early in PSSR era and the Pro have not release yet, developers barely have time with this thing.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
It would be interesting to see all the extra grunt thrown towards frame rate alone instead of any image quality improvement over the base version.

Darsxx82

I'm looking at those two pics and it is better. If you disagree then that's OK.
I don't have to agree or disagree, I'm just reproducing what DF is saying... and it's certainly not what you're pointing out.
It does look 100% better because it's a better IQ and DOUBLE the framerate.

Just stop, PS5Pro has broken some of y'all.
It would be nice if that was the discussion...🤷

PS. Rather, what this is revealing is the insecurity that the results are causing for some and you have an urgent need to deny any circumstance and discussion on the subject.

Kangx

This is a bad take. Did you ignored the performance bench at the end?

Better image quality than native 4k mode running at 60 fps. It did not drop a frame during battle where the performance drop to as low 50.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Did you watch the video or closely analyze the pictures? Because that's exactly what it did... Actually, it did more. The image quality on the Pro is even more crisp than the PS5 Fidelity mode while running a smooth 60 fps.
I did. This part is what im talking about.

Probably the biggest issue here is that the PS5 Pro just isn't that temporally stable relative to the base machine in its graphics mode. In shots without a lot of camera movement, it's fairly easy to find quite a bit of breakup in the image, at least relative to the graphics mode. The image stability overall is more similar to the old performance mode. I don't think this is anything like a dealbreaker here, but the general instability of the image is the biggest sticking point if you are measuring it up against its full-res PS5 counterpart. Here, solutions like DLSS and XeSS typically deliver more temporally stable results. The brief snippets of Ratchet and Clank that we have appear to exhibit a similar problem, suggesting this may be a characteristic weakness of the current version of PSSR.

I dont care too much about the hair dithering or the issues he pointed out with Barret's textures. You wont notice them, but the image breakup is not something that wouldve happened if they had enough GPU headroom available to reconstruct from 1440p instead of the 1080p-1182p they are currently using.

The Pro definitely gives you greater image detail, but it comes at the cost of more temporal instability, but the fact that we are getting comparable visuals at twice the frame-rate really speaks to the promise of PSSR and of the Pro more generally.

You basically get more detail but at the cost of IQ. The coolest thing about DLSS is that 4k dlss quality can look better AND cleaner than native 4k. We are only getting that on the Pro in TLOU2. Ratchet, Alan Wake, HFW and now FF7 all seem to be using Performance mode settings and resolutions, and that is the reason for these temporal instability issues.

This is a bad take. Did you ignored the performance bench at the end?

Better image quality than native 4k mode running at 60 fps. It did not drop a frame during battle where the performance drop to as low 50.
I did not. See above.

Last edited:

XXL

cause it runs like crap on PC, well remake did at launch.

Also, i dont want to wait, what kind of question is that lol
I was going to say this....not sure if it's fixed now, but FF7 Intergrade was not a great PC port.....if I remember correctly.

It had issues with stuttering.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
PS. Rather, what this is revealing is the insecurity that the results are causing for some and you have an urgent need to deny any circumstance and discussion on the subject.
What am I denying?

Is the IQ better than fidelity 30fps on the base? Yes.

Is it double the framerate locked 60fps which would effectively make it 100% better? Yes.

Explain.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

I don't have to agree or disagree, I'm just reproducing what DF is saying... and it's certainly not what you're pointing out.

It would be nice if that was the discussion...🤷

Do you want me to highlight parts of the image?

In your opinion, which one would you say has "breakup in the image"?

FF71.png
ff72.png

Last edited:

Zathalus

Not all the power is being spent on PSSR, the game drops to near 50 on the base while holding a locked 60 on the Pro.

Darsxx82

What am I denying?

Is the IQ better than fidelity 30fps on the base? Yes.

According to the DF article NO, is not. They are each comparable with their pros and cons.
Is it double the framerate locked 60fps which would effectively make it 100% better? Yes.

Explain.
I have nothing to explain because I have not discussed that matter, someone simply thought it convenient to misrepresent as a means of discussing what I was pointing out.

Kuranghi

So wait the Fidelity PS5 version of this ran at Native 4K with no upscaling whatsoever? Surely that can't be true.

I want to see what the Fidelity mode looks like on PS5 Pro, but I suppose if it was alteady native 4K they're wouldn't be any difference, supersampling could be applied I guess?

Top Bottom