• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] PS5 v PC value comparisons less important than a bleak future for console pricing

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfo...e-future-of-console-pricing-is-another-matter

Firstly, are the costs of console gaming rising so much that a gaming PC is no longer such an expensive alternative? That's a legitimate concern and worth some discussion. However, the actual argument seems to be that potential Pro buyers should opt for a PC instead and for me, that's a less plausible idea. Both formats play games, but fundamentally they are very different things - and believe it or not, potential Pro users may already own a gaming PC and still want a Pro... or simply don't want a PC at all!

On a tangent, access to gaming libraries is one reason we're really not happy about the disc drive not being included in the asking price: enthusiast PS4/PS5 owners must surely have a bunch of discs they'd like to play and not including an optical drive with PS5 Pro looks bad because it is bad.

The concept of asking existing PlayStation owners with money to spare to choose between a PS5 Pro and a PC is a little odd then, but the nature of the £699/$699/€799 price-point opens up a very different and much more interesting discussion on the future of console pricing in general, outside of the idea of a premium SKU offering. Today's PS5 Pro isn't a mainstream proposition but one might imagine that the next generation PlayStation 6 definitely will be. The standard PS5 with a disc drive launched with a $100 premium over the outgoing PlayStation 4 Pro - which certainly raises awkward questions about future console pricing if the same thing holds true for PS6 vs PS5 Pro. I don't think any platform holder can go into the tenth generation with Pro-level sticker prices and if they do, we could be looking at a repeat - or worse - of the PlayStation 3 launch disaster.

Mr Moose

giphy.webp

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
The people hated him for trying to tell the truth. :lollipop_anguish:

"Is there still an opportunity to keep specs the same, but take advantage of the fact that component costs do come down over that seven year lifespan? To just make it a cheaper thing to manufacture?

Spencer:
The prices aren't coming down. We see it now, and that's why we did Xbox Series S. I know there's a bunch of questions like, 'what is it doing?' We wanted to make sure we had a sub-$300 console because we want to grow, and we think an entry level price point for many new families or players coming into the market is going to be important. And then people say, 'Well, now you've created complexity, because you have two specs in the market.' But then we get into this world of 'I want to mid-gen refresh, so we should create more complexity by creating more devices.

For us, thinking about where our hardware is going and reaching more customers, price point is important. But you're not going to be able to start with a console that's $500 thinking it's gonna get to 200 bucks. That won't happen. Because the core components that you use - you're used to Moore's Law shooting up and to the right - but your components... you can't buy them anymore as a hardware maker because nobody's making that kind of RAM or other components. It's not the way it used to be where you could take a spec and then ride it out over 10 years and ride the price points down. It's why you see console pricing relatively flat."

Topher

Gold Member
"So, to summarise: PS5 Pro is aimed at PlayStation users who have an existing library of games and want the best experience from their console of choice. It offers a streamlined experience that is more user-friendly and doesn't involve any kind of construction and minimal maintenance. In the vast majority of cases, everything just works and continues to work - an area where PC is more cumbersome. And in terms of the Pro itself, what you are getting in terms of 'more GPU', machine learning upscaling and enhanced RT is actually a decent round-up of the core innovations from the PC space, presented in console form with all the advantages of the existing platform and ecosystem. None of this is meant to justify the excessive price-point, but that is the nature of the Pro offering: outside of actually playing games, a console is still very different to a PC."

That's pretty much dead on correct, imo.

Zathalus

I'd also suggest that while both PC and PS5 Pro play games - often the same games - the ownership experience is quite different. The value comparisons typically involve building the PC, shopping around for the best prices. It's an exercise that automatically locks out a good proportion of the audience who may not feel confident in component selection or actually building the system. Then there are the complications of failing parts and myriad warranties. There are good value pre-builts out there, mind you, but how many mainstream gamers really want to contend with Windows 11, driver updates or multiple store launchers? The PC is far from a plug and play platform in the way a console is, meaning its accessibility and functionality in the living room - the traditional home of the console - is questionable.

The PC format has its own range of big advantages, of course. There's no charge for online multiplayer. Free games are actually free games if you have an Epic Games Store account (or, cheating slightly, Amazon Prime). Pricing is more dynamic and you often get more from your money. You have crucial access to expandability and upgradeability in a way a console can't match, while the lion's share of technological innovations and advances happen on PC first. And yes, crucially, if you're looking to run more games at 60fps or even beyond 120fps, you will have far more success on PC, #StutterStruggle permitting. That's why I'm willing to bet that the enthusiast - and yes, affluent - PlayStation gamer looking at PS5 Pro may well already be a PC owner too. There are great reasons for owning both.

For now at least, a console is a console and a PC is a PC. They're both wonderful things and great for playing games, but they're also quite different. For how long that remains the case remains to be seen, but I do expect that PlayStation 5 Pro and its pricing will be judged on their own merits - not on whether you can build a price-equivalent PC that's as powerful.

Pretty balanced take in my opinion.

twilo99

Gold Member
$1000 PC > $700+ console
$1000 PC = 500 console
$1000 PC < $300- console

If you are going to compromise on hardware, you might as well take it to the extreme and not spend over $300 on it and enjoy the games, where a $700-800 console is trying to be something it isn't... out of place in my opinion.

The two consoles that make the most sense currently are:

PS5 slim no drive
Xbox Series S

If you want to go above that, might as well build that $1000 PC

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
$1000 PC > $700+ console
$1000 PC = 500 console
$1000 PC < $300- console

If you are going to compromise on hardware, you might as well take it to the extreme and not spend over $300 on it and enjoy the games, where a $700-800 console is trying to be something it isn't... out of place in my opinion.

PS5 slim no drive
Xbox Series S

Water Swimming GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

I switched to budget PC gaming two years ago and I'm never going back.

You can get an Intel Core i5 12th Gen 12400F 2.5GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 8GB GDDR6; 16GB DDR4-2666 RAM; 1TB Solid State Drive for $750 right now.....hook it up to your TV with an Xbox controller, enjoy 1080p 60 fps upscaled with DLSS.

Topher

Gold Member
$1000 PC > $700+ console
$1000 PC = 500 console
$1000 PC < $300- console

PS5 slim no drive
Xbox Series S

What is this logic that if you are going to spend over $400 then you might as well spend $1000? Hell, talk yourself all the way up to $3000 then.

Bartski

Gold Member
I still buy CDs sometimes.
bought both XsX and PS5 on release and used a disc once, a copy of FF7R I bought second hand and dropped few hours in. Not something I expected while entering the gen as I have plenty of games on discs for PS4 and the 360, but that's the reality - I don't use physical media anymore and I think I ever will.

Fahdis

I switched to budget PC gaming two years ago and I'm never going back.

You can get an Intel Core i5 12th Gen 12400F 2.5GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 8GB GDDR6; 16GB DDR4-2666 RAM; 1TB Solid State Drive for $750 right now.....hook it up to your TV with an Xbox controller, enjoy 1080p 60 fps upscaled with DLSS.

Lol, most people will sell their kidneys before jumping to a free ecosystem of playing online. Or make excuses about how PC only has a large form factor when ITX configurations exist. But then again, another excuse is PC isn't plug and play, but they live in 2008.

Punished Miku

Seriously. Makes folks who are only buying PS5 Pro look like they are exercising restraint.
At the end of the day, everyone will pick whatever battle they want to fight over and whatever system they want. People who decided Series S was a cool system got nothing but shit on here. "Why not just spend $200 more." If you want to buy a $500 PS5 and get the lowest tier of online for 7 years that's going to be $1060, not including a pro or even PS+ Extra. People will pick whatever they want to pick, but someone saying to just spend a little more to get a PC is the same thing everyone on here told Series S fans for years.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
At the end of the day, everyone will pick whatever battle they want to fight over and whatever system they want. People who decided Series S was a cool system got nothing but shit on here. "Why not just spend $200 more." If you want to buy a $500 PS5 and get the lowest tier of online for 7 years that's going to be $1060, not including a pro or even PS+ Extra. People will pick whatever they want to pick, but someone saying to just spend a little more to get a PC is the same thing everyone on here told Series S fans for years.
That lethargic shitbox is still shit.
gonna cry tobey maguire GIF

Last edited:

HogIsland

I really don't think they're that different. They literally play the same games.

PC is more of a tech hassle, but that's not locked in for all time. The Steam Deck is a breakthrough in PC usability. No reason those advances can't also benefit a PC for the living room. Valve already has success doing this. Supposedly Microsoft is working their version of it too.

In a situation where the form factor, the software experience, and the price is right (none of these are very far off), I think it puts a lot of pressure on the console as an idea.

Topher

Gold Member

Ok? If that logic didn't make sense back then then it doesn't make sense now. Both PS and Xbox have had shit thrown their way from either side the last four years. I'm not going to rehash all that.

Punished Miku

Ok? If that logic didn't make sense back then then it doesn't make sense now. Both PS and Xbox have had shit thrown their way from either side the last four years. I'm not going to rehash all that.
I don't think you really ever trashed Series S, but I can't recall you ever once jumping in to defend Series S owners for their restrained spending. It's just about being consistent.

It's just hilarious to watch other people who talked the most shit on Series S arguing why they want the budget priced PS Pro instead of a PC that's a little bit more. Just shows how full of shit they are really. Suddenly they understand people wanting to buy something that meets their budget.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't think you really ever trashed Series S, but I can't recall you ever once jumping in to defend Series S owners for their restrained spending. It's just about being consistent.

It's just hilarious to watch other people who talked the most shit on Series S arguing why they want the budget priced PS Pro instead of a PC that's a little bit more. Just shows how full of shit they are really. Suddenly they understand people wanting to buy something that meets their budget.
Series S still sucks. Sorry that offends you, and if so, seek counseling.

Bojji

Corporate shills.

I really feel like Sony is inviting Apple into a new expensive market segment.

They are trying to do what they are doing in their tv segment and other electronics. They are fucking losing in almost every segment with cheaper competition.

Now let's look at list of high priced consoles that were NOT successful:

1. 3DO
2. PS3
3. Xbox One

sad-crying-black-guy.gif

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
More stupid shit, I'm sorry.

Consoles gaining high-end options is not indicative of a massive general trend upwards in console pricing. Its simply adding a upper cost variant to the line-up.

Its like saying the price of a 4090 indicates a massive trend upwards in GPU cost.

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

Why, the fuck do people treat DF seriously? Have they been around long enough that everyone but me has managed to develop a massive blindspot for the fact that they have the most unironically overblown and pretentious name of any outlet in gaming?

Like, if that doesn't make you realize how far up their own asses these clowns are... I give up!

Bojji

Its like saying the price of a 4090 indicates a massive trend upwards in GPU cost.

It is, the whole 4xxx series is overpriced and same will probably be true with 5xxx series.

Unless I'm missing an /s, neither PS3 nor XBO were failed console. They both sold a lot.

Both PS3 and XBO were failed consoles compared to their reasonable priced predecessors and competition. PS3 started to catch up after massive price drop (and games obviously).

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
More stupid shit, I'm sorry.

Consoles gaining high-end options is not indicative of a massive general trend upwards in console pricing. Its simply adding a upper cost variant to the line-up.

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

Why, the fuck do people treat DF seriously? Have they been around long enough that everyone but me has managed to develop a massive blindspot for the fact that they have the most unironically overblown and pretentious name of any outlet in gaming?

Like, if that doesn't make you realize how far up their own asses these clowns are... I give up!

Topher

Gold Member

My "restraint" comment was sarcasm. Going from a $300 purchase to $700 is not restraint. I'll be more mindful to add the /s next time.

But if you see folks who gave XSS shit in the past then perhaps you should be responding to them? Just a thought.

Punished Miku

My "restraint" comment was sarcasm. Going from a $300 purchase to $700 is not restraint. I'll be more mindful to add the /s next time.

But if you see folks who gave XSS shit in the past then perhaps you should be responding to them? Just a thought.
You gotta talk to the sane ones when you want to make a point. Wallow in the mud with the pigs if you want to get covered in mud.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I got no problem with consoles being priced higher with more powerful versions, but we're entering a new price bracket now. PS4 PRO and XB1X came out the same and a bit more £/$ as their less powerful versions launched at and they wasn't really pushed to full potential bar the odd game.
So how many will sell at this price and hence how much effort is going to be put into games on them? Possibly less than previous Pro/XB1X games.

Top Bottom