• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Xbox have permission now to charge $700 for their rumoured handheld?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
God please say it ain't so, but with PS5 Pro being $700 USD (more elsewhere, by a lot) does this break a glass ceiling for pricing in the console space? If Xbox releases both a handheld and a traditional console could they charge this much realistically?

Looking at the competition in both the handheld and console market, we see examples of both stretching to new heights in terms of pricing.

Granted Xbox is no where near as popular as Sony's console...but I wonder how much does this actually matters, given they've been raising their prices regardless. It would be relatively new for the PC handheld market, competing against the ROG Ally X at $800 and the Steam Deck OLED currently at $549, all of which is higher than what most are used to paying for these products within their own space (Switch at $400...Switch 2 at $???)

Where does this end up? Are people going to be priced out of the market? Will people become accustomed to the new line? (not really new, *cough 3DO cough, cough Neo Geo cough*)

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The handheld will be less than that. The home variant will be more than that.
Jada Pinkett Smith Periodt GIF by Red Table Talk

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Depends on what it is.

If it's a proper competitor to the likes of the Steam Deck/Rog Ally/etc.. and it's running a handheld-friendly version of Windows that can run Steam games/Xbox Games/GOG games/etc.. etc. then they could get away with higher pricing (probably not $700, but $500? for sure.)

If it's literally just an Xbox that can only play Xbox games, but in handheld form? I dunno, maybe $300? But it's probably DOA regardless if that's the approach they take with it.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Ideally stronger than what's in the market right now with native game pass integration
And likely cloud integration...but cheaper than a ROG? Man...would be nice.

And as far as "permission" I'm referring to a pricing glass ceiling that Sony is breaking with the Pro. IF the Pro sells out and continues to do well...what does that say to Xbox and their upcoming offering.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Depends on what it is.

If it's a proper competitor to the likes of the Steam Deck/Rog Ally/etc.. and it's running a handheld-friendly version of Windows that can run Steam games/Xbox Games/GOG games/etc.. etc. then they could get away with higher pricing (probably not $700, but $500? for sure.)

If it's literally just an Xbox that can only play Xbox games, but in handheld form? I dunno, maybe $300? But it's probably DOA regardless if that's the approach they take with it.
Interesting...do they just not consider Switch 2 as competition then?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
as far as "permission" I'm referring to a pricing glass ceiling that Sony is breaking with the Pro. IF the Pro sells out and continues to do well...what does that say to Xbox and their upcoming offering.

A home console / hybrid device will absolutely be $699 or above.

For the handheld, I doubt Pro's price structure will have an impact, though other handheld devices definitely will.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I guess I never gave my opinion. So for the record, I think Xbox goes back into market share capture mode and they'll eat $100 bucks to make the handheld cheaper. Sony won't likely have a PS6 out when Xbox's new offerings come out, however the "lack of competition" is not the same as what Sony is experiencing now.

So I'll say Handheld will be $549 ish...Console will not go above $700

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Do you think the handheld will carry similar features of the Steam Deck or ROG?

You think the console will be OVER 700!?

Yeah the handheld will be using AMD's latest portable offerings I'm sure. Yes the "console" will be cheaper than a super rig but more expensive than a console.

salva

Yeah it wouldn't matter what an Xbox handhold costs in comparison to the PS5 Pro... It would make more sense to see its price compared it to the Steamdeck/ROG/Legion GO/Switch 2.
We're also talking about something that doesn't exist and probably never will

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Yeah it wouldn't matter what an Xbox handhold costs in comparison to the PS5 Pro... It would make more sense to see its price compared it to the Steamdeck/ROG/Legion GO/Switch 2.
We're also talking about something that doesn't exist and probably never will
You think the console won't exist or the handheld?

Having something that flawlessly plays all your xbox games, does Game Pass, has other launchers working day one, all on a system without windows bloat could be a hell of an item that could be their lane to dominate if they get their shit together for it.

salva

You think the console won't exist or the handheld?
Specifically I don't think the Xbox handheld is happening, but I'll eat crow if it does.

A next-gen Xbox console, well yes that'll happen. I think they'll also push to make it as powerful as possible in the upper price limit. What that'll be (in probably ~2 years time) who knows.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
what does the PS5 Pro have to do with this? look at the price of things like the Asus ROG Ally and Lenovo Legion Go

heck the Steam Deck OLED starts at $550
WEll I'm saying for Xbox's next console offering. I think some folks think the next console will be a hybrid kinda like the switch is. I'm more of the mind that they could have 2 SKU's...one hand held and one console. I know i didn't mention the console in the title, that's my bad, but I did mention it in the first line of the OP. If they release a traditional console in 2026 my question is...does the Pro breaking the glass ceiling open the way for Xbox to price their console similarly.

Sooner

Microsoft has permission to sell their handheld for $32,999.99, if they want.

Last edited:
I'm not arguing anything. I'm just going off the facts. Sony's PS5 Pro is $700. It is breaking what were previous limits in modern times. The question is does this mean Xbox can charge similarly for their next offering? Where is the argument?
You are comparing an optional premium upgrade of a desired console, with a hypothetial next mainstream console of a brand that is so tarnished that they don't expect to recover.

You might as well compare the price of Ikea Furniture with that of a chicken sandwich. They are at different price points and have nothing in common.

If Xbox handheld is 700 dollars it would NOT be because of PS5Pro; it would be because Microsoft told Xbox that they would not be allowed to subsidize the hardware anymore.

Mr Moose

It would be competing with other handhelds, and some are priced more than that. Has nothing to do with PS5 Pro price (they are selling a Series X for 599).

Last edited:

Codes 208

The rog ally launched at $600, an expensive handheld was already kind of expected.

Would prefer $450-ish to compete with the steam deck but i imagine it would depend of power and whether or not it would be a windows handheld pc or an actual xbox handheld

Make a handheld with XSS specs, decent battery and a <$500 tag, now thats how theyd get me back into the xbox ecosystem

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
I'm not arguing anything.....Where is the argument?
arguments as in "your statement"
I'm just going off the facts. Sony's PS5 Pro is $700.
The fact is that we don't know how this is going to perform in the market, the Pro announcement made the whole internet retarded, and based on the PS4Pro, we could assume that the 5 pro is going to be at best a Halo product and at worst a niche SKU (between 10-15M)

It is breaking what were previous limits in modern times.
but is not. "cough 3DO cough, cough Neo Geo cough"

The question is does this mean Xbox can charge similarly for their next offering?
This question completely ignores the state of Xbox, and that's my point. Xbox could offer a 1-dollar machine, and it still wouldn't change anything.

Xbox isn't in a position to offer anything. I mean, they could try because of MS, but as a platform/brand, Xbox doesn't have any real leverage in the market

Top Bottom