• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

ramyeon

So Wakka's overdrives unlock in Tournaments depending on how many fights he's been in right? I just beat one tournament and now the options greyed out. Does that mean I don't meet the fight requirements or do I need to play in leagues to open up tournaments? They don't really explain this.

entremet

Wow at the new Boss battle remix.

Amazing.

I think I'm going to get the PS3 version too so I can get this on surround goodness.

inner-G

Banned
As someone that never played X-2 but loved X, what am i in for? What's the general GAF consensus on X-2? Yay or Nay?
It's pretty good!

Branching quests, job system, new characters and stories in a familiar world, much more lighthearted feel and tons of side stuff.

A good complement to X overall.

As someone that never played X-2 but loved X, what am i in for? What's the general GAF consensus on X-2? Yay or Nay?

It's a divisive game so you're going to get a few differing opinions, but FFX-2 acts as a perfect counterpoint to the melancholy and seriousness of FFX. It has a light, camp air to it that works within the context of when X-2 takes place. It's less about the story, which is serviceable but stumbles badly in the later chapters, but more about the characters and locations, which you get to revisit in a new context post FFX. In fact, the most compelling aspect of the game is the prospect of revisiting the story and the universe after the world has been saved. That aspect of the story and the game, they absolutely nail. My main reservation is how Tidus is treated in X-2; he's kind of written out of the universe to an extent, due to the ridiculous decision to not use his proper name in X-2.

Great game and a ton of fun. The non-linear nature of the game means there's a ton of great content that you can discover, or not, at your own leisure. Also, Sphere Break is great.

So gaf. I remember having this problem years ago but I once again have ran out of ability spheres after grinding and beating lord ochu in kilika. Where is the earliest that I can farm the spheres?
Are you using the expert grid? I was having the exact same problem but then noticed that not two moves from khimari's starting position, there is a skill called "ability extract". If he hits an enemy with the skill (1 mp) it guarantees an ability sphere from that enemy.

Saphirax

How is that even possible? You got 0:0.0 and it still didn't register?

Yeah, the timer said 0:0.0 and I still lost. It was ages ago, but I'll never be able to forget it.
Back then I was under the impression you actually needed a time better than 0:0.0, but looking at it now it seems like that's not the case.

I'M ANNOYING HUH?
I'M ANNOYING HUH?
I'M ANNOYING HUH?
I'M ANNOYING HUH?
I'M ANNOYING HUH?
I'M ANNOYING HUH?
I'M ANNOYING HUH?
I'M ANNOYING HUH?

quote this if you get it.

I'M ANNOYING HUH?

This made me chuckle, but in my head I always heard...

AN ANNOYING TONGUE
AN ANNOYING TONGUE
AN ANNOYING TONGUE

hamchan

Everyone seems to like the gameplay of X-2 but the story and general tone of the game is very divisive, as it is extremely jarring to go from the super serious, highly emotional FFX, to a J-pop bubbly tone that X-2 has.

Shockrates

Neo Member
Yeah, the timer said 0:0.0 and I still lost. It was ages ago, but I'll never be able to forget it.
Back then I was under the impression you actually needed a time better than 0:0.0, but looking at it now it seems like that's not the case.

The way I remember it that actually is the case. You had to get a deficit time of below 0 seconds to win. You must have coincidentally just hit exactly 0:0.0.

Panthers

Mi'ihen Highroad has a few enemies that drop Ability Spheres. Sometimes you can get weapons with Distil Ability from there as well. Use the first one you get to teach Wakka Extract Ability, that way you can replenish your stock easily.

I picked the expert sphere grid and I was able to get the ability Extract Ability at the beginning. That made it a lot easier. I make sure to use it every battle at least once. I would search your sphere grid for the move and see if anyone is close go getting it. It helps a ton early on.

Saphirax

The way I remember it that actually is the case. You had to get a deficit time of below 0 seconds to win. You must have coincidentally just hit exactly 0:0.0.

Further googling proves that is actually correct. Guess I wasn't wrong! Just hope the same thing won't happen again.

"Couldn't steal anything" = nothing to steal or just can't steal something?

If anyone wants a nostalgic trip, here is an old FF X website.

http://www.ffx-europe.com/

square_europe.gif

:(

Won my first blitzball match. I was under the impression that there is a trophy attached to beating the Goers so I did reset for it, but fortunately only once. Wakka scored with less than ten seconds left in the game. Was actually pretty cool for the story.

Shahadan

Everyone seems to like the gameplay of X-2 but the story and general tone of the game is very divisive, as it is extremely jarring to go from the super serious, highly emotional FFX, to a J-pop bubbly tone that X-2 has.

I thought it was kinda a good idea. I liked how FFX-2 for once started basically after we had already saved the world, with all the energy/fun/enthusiasm/hope/happiness/whatever it entails. It's a rare starting point, although I wouldn't have chosen j-pop for that, yes :lol:

Spira in FFX was very serious and sad from beginning to end, I think it's only fitting the tone shifted after the reason of that sadness was taken care of.
I just laughed at all things that would have made me cringe very hard if it was a sequel to, say, FFIX or XII.

I also really loved they still talked about the world itself trying to find a new direction now that all was over.

Question about recruiting Blitzball players. So can you only recruit like 6 or 7 at a time? Or can you go around recruiting them all to have for back-up? Like is there a player reserve? Or if you recruit them, they have to be in the main team right then? And what happens when their starting contract is over? Like if they will play for say 17 games. Can you pay them again to come back or what?

I normally avoid blitzball when replaying FFX, but I might give it a try this time.

Garibaldi

How does the cloud syncing work? I have five rolling saves and they should be linked in the cloud, but every time I overwrite a save and the go into the data transfer section to sync them up to the cloud, I end up having to delete the cloud saves and resync all 5 saves manually.

Metal Gear's sync system, using a unique transfer ID, was far superior to this method. Why do I need to go into the sync manager and reconnect to the PSN cloud in the first place? I'm already online. Just connect on startup and sync every save back to the cloud every time I do a local save. Just like Metal Gear does.

All this time I've been looking for a way to fast scroll through the menu. It was the right stick all along. :(

Also just got to Guadosalam. Worth buying some Thunderward items?

JimPanzer

I'm currently on the road to malacania temple, after the thunder plains. where can I find luck spheres? and how far I'm in the story in percent?

Darkone

Do you mean buffs like Protect, Haste, etc.?

If so, they don't expire until your next battle. Only way you will lose them if is your character dies or has Dispel cast on them.

Good to know, now i wont have to recast them.
I was sure they expire after some time.

Roto13

All this time I've been looking for a way to fast scroll through the menu. It was the right stick all along. :(

Also just got to Guadosalam. Worth buying some Thunderward items?

Well, you can make your own with thunder marbles you steal from enemies on the thunder plains. You probably don't have equipment with a free slot for Rikku, though. Buy what you need to buy and make the rest yourself. :p

No, you had it right. You need a time better than 0:0.0 to "win".

Exactly 0 causes a loss every time.

MechaX

So let me get this straight, because I have heard a lot of varying information on this subject.

If I fucked myself over on the Besaid Destruction sphere (seriously wasn't expecting to get into a cutscene that booted me out of the temple just for walking too far forward), then
I can't get back into the actual Cloister until I beat Dark Valefor?
If I wasn't like 3 hours from that point, I would seriously consider restarting...

clem84

Gold Member
Very early in the game. At Besaid village now. The expert grid is confusing. There are countless different directions you can take. It's kinda scary. I have a feeling my characters will have just a bunch of abilities slapped together with no real identity. Is there some general rule or guideline I should follow for the expert grid?

So let me get this straight, because I have heard a lot of varying information on this subject.

If I fucked myself over on the Besaid Destruction sphere (seriously wasn't expecting to get into a cutscene that booted me out of the temple just for walking too far forward), then
If I wasn't like 3 hours from that point, I would seriously consider restarting...

Yeah, pretty sure by the time you can go back there, Dark Valefor will be waiting. You can always just Yojimbo it.

This is true. But on the bright side it's doable.

ramyeon

I need to be sleeping right now but I can't stop playing blitzball. Hated it at first but once you get the hang of it it's so addictive. Wish I knew if Wakka had been in enough battles to get his overdrives or not though :/

I need to be sleeping right now but I can't stop playing blitzball. Hated it at first but once you get the hang of it it's so addictive. Wish I knew if Wakka had been in enough battles to get his overdrives or not though :/

I really like Blitzball back when I played the game as well. I was surprised to see so much hate for it on here.

I might think it sucks now though, haven't got that far yet.

ZeroX03

Banned
Very early in the game. At Besaid village now. The expert grid is confusing. There are countless different directions you can take. It's kinda scary. I have a feeling my characters will have just a bunch of abilities slapped together with no real identity. Is there some general rule or guideline I should follow for the expert grid?

If you've played the game before, you should be able to follow each character's route. It's pretty obvious who goes where, just follow their skills.

If you haven't played before, you should probably play on the Standard Grid.

SkylineRKR

Really like this on Vita, touch screen for shorter Aeon movies and quick recovery is a nice improvement.

But I completely fail with Lulu's Overdrive. This right stick, mang. I also suck at Blitzball, an minigame I always avoided in this game. Recruited the best players early on (Zev Ronso etc), but I still fail.

Never played PAL or Int version before, but the Extract Skills are great. Got a shitload of Ability Spheres now where I usually had to wait quite a bit.

Vashetti

Banned
I can't believe I missed that part the first time through... Hell, I can't believe just how much I missed in regards to the story on my first playthrough.

I'm seriously looking at FFX in a new light now.

Auron also waits outside the Farplane and is in physical pain when Yuna sends Maester Jyscal.

They try to mask Auron waiting outside by having Rikku wait too.

inner-G

Banned
Just double-dipped on the Vita version.

I wanted the physical one but it kills me its half and half so I just bout the download version.

Now i just need to get FFIII and I'll have FFI through X-2 + Tactics + Dissidia Duodecim all on demand all the time on a handheld. Amazing

Mr. RHC

If anyone got interesting trivia surrounding the release of FF X, like making offs, curiosities, development news and other golden stuff, please do share!

I didn't follow the release all that much back then, so I'd love to see if you guys got somehting.

Top Bottom