• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

At operation Mihen. Feel bad for whats going to happen. :(

I have to say, after all this time, I still dislike Shelinda a lot. (The Nun/Zealot of Yevon)

At first she was misguided but damn the stuff she says/does later on makes you want to kill her.

Think I'll grind here a bit to make the forest portion much easier on me.

pariah164

Hngh, come out, ghosts. I need your Purifying Salts. :T

I have to say, after all this time, I still dislike Shelinda a lot. (The Nun/Zealot of Yevon)

At first she was misguided but damn the stuff she says/does later on makes you want to kill her.
Well, like most of the characters in the storyline, the whole 'good' side of Yevon was kind of shattered to pieces. Many people question and are in despair over their faith, or lack thereof. I try not to hold it against her.

Dice//

Banned
It's a cutscene that bridges FFX and FFX-2. Easy silver trophy

Sh** I cut out when there was like a minute left.

michael-bolton-office-space.gif

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah, apparently I'm the one who's full of shit.
I always thought that Dream Zanarkand was located IN Sin itself. In another "dream" dimension. Just goes to show what I know.

Well, that's what I had thought too, so its apparently not a fringe interpretation.

I tried that; after about 5 restarts, I gave up.

You get 99 Purifying Salt from the Monster Arena dragon capture quest, which is less frustrating to my recollection. Its just 4 of each and there's only 5 of them.

Zafir

Bah, I don't remember the facial animations being so non-existent in the original. Just bugging me so much looking at their faces, and all they do is move their lips up and down! Besides that, I'm amazed how crisp the game looks. Was expecting it to look a lot worse.

OmegaDL50

The thing I like the Sphere Grid as a leveling system is that because it's shared by everyone, every time you unlock a path with a key sphere or add a new stat to one of the empty nodes everyone benefits from it, rather then the character that unlocks.

I mean unlike some RPG growth systems in which every character has their own self contained stat pool and character A's stengths don't benefit character B. I don't think there is another RPG that has sort of inter-connectivity or synergy in which using the leveling system has an indirect effect on every other party member, in terms of being able to share abilities or alter stat growth paths with things like teleport spheres, friend spheres, etc.

I know SE tries to make each FF game different, but it wouldn't hurt to reuse some of their older gameplay mechanics in newer titles because they worked well. Sometimes you don't always need to reinvent the wheel, using things that worked well in the past are good too.

The thing I like the Sphere Grid as a leveling system is that because it's shared by everyone, every time you unlock a path with a key sphere or add a new stat to one of the empty nodes everyone benefits from it.

I don't think there is another RPG that has sort of inter-connectivity or synergy in which using the leveling system has an indirect effect on every other party member, in terms of being able to share abilities or alter stat growth paths with things like teleport spheres, friend spheres, etc.

I know SE tries to make each FF game different, but it wouldn't hurt to reuse some of their older gameplay mechanics in newer titles because they worked well. Sometimes you don't always need to reinvent the wheel, using things that worked well in the past are good too.

Agreed. I always wished they would allow more instant swapping of characters like FFX did as well.

Zafir

The thing I like the Sphere Grid as a leveling system is that because it's shared by everyone, every time you unlock a path with a key sphere or add a new stat to one of the empty nodes everyone benefits from it, rather then the character that unlocks.

I mean unlike some RPG growth systems in which every character has their own self contained stat pool and character A's stengths don't benefit character B. I don't think there is another RPG that has sort of inter-connectivity or synergy in which using the leveling system has an indirect effect on every other party member, in terms of being able to share abilities or alter stat growth paths with things like teleport spheres, friend spheres, etc.

Agreed. I liked how everyone was connected, but at the same time, characters still had their niche. That was always what disappointed me about FFXII, and although I realise they did fix it a bit in XII IZE, it still wasn't as good imo.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Bah, I don't remember the facial animations being so non-existent in the original. Just bugging me so much looking at their faces, and all they do is move their lips up and down! Besides that, I'm amazed how crisp the game looks. Was expecting it to look a lot worse.

Its really just expectations. They were super expressive when the game first released, but not so much in 2014. Its partially why I give some of the vocal performances a pass. Th cutscene engine wasn't robust enough for subtlety even if they wanted to.

Rainy

Banned
So I've played FFX a few times before but I just got the remaster so I was wondering...which sphere grid option did most of you pick? Did your paths on the expert sphere grid greatly differ from the original set paths? What exactly did y'all change? Just looking for some input before I decide which to pick.

Angry Grimace

So I've played FFX a few times before but I just got the remaster so I was wondering...which sphere grid option did most of you pick? Did your paths on the expert sphere grid greatly differ from the original set paths? What exactly did y'all change? Just looking for some input before I decide which to pick.

If you've played before, definitely go Expert. Expert actually gives you options about what you want to do as you move along in Sphere Levels. By the end of the game, it doesn't matter anyways since you can readily move around at your leisure. I honestly don't see any legitimate advantage to picking the original grid. Sure, there's more nodes for stat maxing, but you don't need to do that anyways.

OmegaDL50

You know I think I understand why Chocobo Chaser is so annoying. It's not difficult but it's just seems the setup seems to heavily favor the Trainer rather then Tidus.

For example 9 times out of 10 the initial balloons in the begining are usually always positioned slightly to the left in a straight line for the trainer to simply grab immediately.

Turning slows you down and thus with the trainer simply running straight and you trying to turn to grab those first set of balloons means she doesn't lose speed and gets to grab most of them right away.

I've noticed it takes about 7 seconds to get to the bottom of the cliff at the start, and each Balloon shaves 3 seconds from your time, so grabbing 4 of them by the time you get to bottom means you removed 12 seconds which is less the then 7 you accrued. A benefit you seldom ever get to take advantage of that the trainer seems to enjoy liberally.

Also getting hit by a bird actually removes more then 3 seconds. Rather you get the 3 second penalty for getting hit, but you are also stunned for nearly 2 seconds, which means you actually LOSE 5 seconds.

Also the spawning pattern of the birds seems to indicate as long as there is a bird on the screen more won't spawn immediately, Also sometimes it seems the trainer gets caught in a loop in which she is hit 3 to 4 times in a row by the birds, giving you some breathing room.

If there was only an optimal path to take to get enough balloons to make the timer irrelevant but because the placement is randomized this isn't the case. Oh well.

pariah164

... Figures the one time I WANT a sand worm to show up, it doesn't. Stupid desert...

EDIT: Two encounters later, Sand Worm. Forget friendship, GAF is magic.

Angry Grimace

You know I think I understand why Chocobo Chaser is so annoying. It's not difficult but it's just seems the setup seems to heavily favor the Trainer rather then Tidus.

For example 9 times out of 10 the initial balloons in the begining are usually always positioned slightly to the left in a straight line for the trainer to simply grab immediately.

Turning slows you down and thus with the trainer simply running straight and you trying to turn to grab those first set of balloons means she doesn't lose speed and gets to grab most of them right away.

I've noticed it takes about 7 seconds to get to the bottom of the cliff at the start, and each Balloon shaves 3 seconds from your time, so grabbing 4 of them by the time you get to bottom means you removed 12 seconds which is less the then 7 you accrued. A benefit you seldom ever get to take advantage of that the trainer seems to enjoy liberally.

Also getting hit by a bird actually removes more then 3 seconds. Rather you get the 3 second penalty for getting hit, but you are also stunned for nearly 2 seconds, which means you actually LOSE 5 seconds.

Also the spawning pattern of the birds seems to indicate as long as there is a bird on the screen more won't spawn immediately, Also sometimes it seems the trainer gets caught in a loop in which she is hit 3 to 4 times in a row by the birds, giving you some breathing room.

If there was only an optimal path to take to get enough balloons to make the timer irrelevant but because the placement is randomized this isn't the case. Oh well.

I once raged at the TV for hours playing that goddamn game.

Roxas

I must be extremely lucky because I got the 0:0:0 time first try. Got all the balloons at the start down the hill. Got a few more along the way and was only hit once by the birds. Took me hours to do it in the original release.

Son Of D

I'm at the Calm Lands at the moment, what's a good place to get AP here? Since a few characters are trailing behind in terms of stats and I want a quick catch up.

Unfortunately I don't have Overdrive > AP yet else I'd do the Don Tonberry trick.

OmegaDL50

Hahaha!!

Sometimes It's good to analyze a problem and complaint about what your doing wrong, because good things can result from it.

This happened not even 5 minutes after the post I made above.

Angry Grimace

How long does it take to play through X-2? Just the main game.

It depends on how you play. You aren't actually required to do anything outside of the hot spot events to complete the game, in which case you could finish it in a matter of hours. Its not nearly as linear of a game taken in the whole as X is. But the thing is, a lot of the actual story in the game is skippable content.

Alucrid

Banned
If you're efficient 15 hours. give or take

It depends on how you play. You aren't actually required to do anything outside of the hot spot events to complete the game, in which case you could finish it in a matter of hours. Its not nearly as linear of a game taken in the whole as X is. But the thing is, a lot of the actual story in the game is skippable content.

Ahh okay, thanks. Someone told me it would take about 45, but seems like it'll take less than that then.

Angry Grimace

Ahh okay, thanks. Someone told me it would take about 45, but seems like it'll take less than that then.

You're not really playing the game if you just from hotspot to hotspot though. Its the equivalent of playing the main quest in Skyrim and skipping all of the guilds and civil war quests, not to mention there's storyline stuff that just never happens if you don't play the sidequests.

OmegaDL50

Finally got the trophy for dodging lightning. I'm never doing this again.

I usually save the Thunderplains stuff for last. I mean getting the Sigil and Kimarhi's Spirit Lance.

Plains of lightning, plains of thunder, those who cross are torn asunder.

God, I hate that place.

Angry Grimace

I usually save the Thunderplains stuff for last. I mean getting the Sigil and Kimarhi's Spirit Lance.

Plains of lightning, plains of thunder, those who cross are torn asunder.

God, I hate that place.

Its obnoxious because its just a test of keeping focus for a long time and its too unforgiving. That said, once you get into a "dodging lightning trance" you can do it.

ubercheez

Beat the Goers on my first try, woot! Went into overtime, but I stuck with my usual left-side attack and got Wakka a clear Venom Shot. Now to get some real players.

Top Bottom