• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

Flandy

0.7 seconds.... If I had collected ONE more balloon -__-

Lightning Dodging is worse.

Up to 80 dodges now - I'm taking them in lots of 20 then taking a break for my sanity.

Bullshit. This race thing is totally random whereas the Lightning dodges you can trigger it by walking into a certain area

Neil

Fight the Don Tonberry in the arena, and have the character with Stoic AP mode attack, Don Tonberry will retaliate with Karma which usually kills the character who attacked him. Have one of the Comrade OD characters revive the Stoic (Or have Auto-Phoenix on a piece of armor), have the Stoic attack Don Tonberry again, rinse, repeat until Don Tonberry is close and then flee the battle with everyone alive.

Why flee instead of defeating it?

ramyeon

The best way to do it.
Yeah I think so too, I'd go mad otherwise. In fact I just lost a streak on the 100th strike. Starting over again...
Bullshit. This race thing is totally random whereas the Lightning dodges you can trigger it by walking into a certain area
It's not as easy as that, I mean if you blink at the wrong moment or press the button accidentally too early there's no room for error. It's really, really bad.

The Chocobo Race kinda sucked but it only took me like half an hour of trying and each race finished under a minute. Whereas with lightning you can invest like half an hour into it only to fail just before 200. I certainly know which one is worse.
I swear to god this awful mini game is rigged so you're hit a certain amount per round
No, it's not. I beat it by not getting hit at all. It might be a good idea to take a break and relax a bit, that's what I did when I was getting really frustrated with it. Then I came back after awhile and it was much easier.

Falk

that puzzling face
I love the fact that there are Dark Aeons to fight but whoever decided to put one at a Besaid is a huge dick. Pretty ridiculous that I'll have to be strong enough to take one out before I even get to Yuna's maxed Celestial weapon.

Yuna's maxed Celestial arguably isn't as crippling to an efficient endgame roadmap compared to if you miss the Sun Crest behind
Yunalesca and get locked out by Dark Bahamut
D:

Of course, there are alternatives. (Attack Reels with maxed Wakka and Entrust spam is pretty sick)

Yeah I think so too, I'd go mad otherwise. In fact I just lost a streak on the 100th strike. Starting over again...

It's not as easy as that, I mean if you blink at the wrong moment or press the button accidentally too early there's no room for error. It's really, really bad.

The Chocobo Race kinda sucked but it only took me like half an hour of trying and each race finished under a minute. Whereas with lightning you can invest like half an hour into it only to fail just before 200. I certainly know which one is worse.

I guess a lot of people's beef (mine included) is that it's "luck-based with a little bit of skill" as opposed to lightning dodging which is "skill-based with a little bit of luck". I mean, at that magic spot you literally walk towards the ridge and you know exactly when the lightning will be coming. You can even pause if you feel the need to blink/scratch/sneeze/poop/whatever.

Flandy

IT ONLY TOOK 2 HOURS!
13399445145_a52cef2ecd_b.jpg

13399804234_1e42ee5c60_b.jpg

13399573173_74bb6bc792_b.jpg

Reached the Calm Lands.
Going to progress the story for now. Doing the sidequests will be so much easier after getting the Airship and enc-none.

Probably just gonna pursue the
Zanmato
route when dealing with the
Dark Aeons.

EDIT: What's this "magic spot" that automatically causes lightning in the Thunder Plains?

OmegaDL50

Why flee instead of defeating it?

Because he has 480,000 HP and you got get a measly 8000 AP for beating it, which reward pales in comparison for the gain involved using Triple AP, Overdrive to AP, Triple Overdrive.

It's a tremenous time saver by simply using the Flee ability, rather then spending all the time to wear his HP down, when that time could be spend repeating the AP trick 4 to 5 times and getting exponentially far more in the process.

Arthea

Done with Chocobo Eater, on to the mushroom road.
I did some preparations before fighting CE, as I already knew how bad it is, and it was surprisingly easy this time.

Just got to the
Zanarkand Ruins Cloister of Trials and I just do NOT want to fight Yunalesca until I have Holy which I'm gonna have to grind for. Crud.

I just hope I can get all this done soon so I can really start on the side content. Already got the Sun Sigil which was a huge load off my back.

This game is just as good as I remember it being. Loving every bit.

Can't wait to dig into X-2 after!

Prototype

I hear they added new dress spheres to X-2. Anyone want to tell me what they are? Also, are they missable?

edit: while I'm at it, is there a decent guide for the game to 100% it? I remember the game having lots of stuff you can miss. I just want to play through for nostalgia mostly, as I already played the game back in the day. Any good guides would be appreciated.

I hear they added new dress spheres to X-2. Anyone want to tell me what they are? Also, are they missable?

The Psychic and Festivalist dress spheres. I don't believe the Festivalist is missable since you get it when you talk to one of the people on the Celsius (I forget who though.)

Not sure about Psychic.

ramyeon

Just got to the
Zanarkand Ruins Cloister of Trials and I just do NOT want to fight Yunalesca until I have Holy which I'm gonna have to grind for. Crud.

I just hope I can get all this done soon so I can really start on the side content. Already got the Sun Sigil which was a huge load off my back.

This game is just as good as I remember it being. Loving every bit.

Can't wait to dig into X-2 after!
You really don't need Holy if you've been keeping up in levels. I haven't done any grinding yet and Yunalesca wasn't too bad without it.

Prototype

The Psychic and Festivalist dress spheres. I don't believe the Festivalist is missable since you get it when you talk to one of the people on the Celsius (I forget who though.)

Not sure about Psychic.

thanks,

also, I edited another question, Anyone have a recommendation on a good 100% guide. I remember the game having lots of missable things. I'm just playing for nostalgia mostly anyway, as I went through the game on my own back in the day.

Arthea

You really don't need Holy if you've been keeping up in levels. I haven't done any grinding yet and Yunalesca wasn't too bad without it.

I remember her being real bad, maybe my levels were too low back then. This time around I'm not in a hurry, I prepare beforehand. It almost feels like walk in the park, almost. Still it was thrilling first time around, when I had no idea what awaits around the corner.

ramyeon

I remember her being real bad, maybe my levels were too low back then. This time around I'm not in a hurry, I prepare beforehand. It almost feels like walk in the park, almost. Still it was thrilling first time around, when I had no idea what awaits around the corner.
I even screwed up by casting Super Mighty G on my zombiefied party and I beat her okay :p I also remember having a lot of trouble with her when I first played on PS2. But I was a lot younger back then and I don't think I had any idea what I was doing with the Sphere Grid.

edit: while I'm at it, is there a decent guide for the game to 100% it? I remember the game having lots of stuff you can miss. I just want to play through for nostalgia mostly, as I already played the game back in the day. Any good guides would be appreciated.

I used the Prima guide back in the day. There's just way too many easy things to miss. One scene right at the beginning and then skipping dialogue (you can guess whose...) also drops your %.

I'm still fairly underleveled since I just kinda ran from every battle on the way there since I wasn't much in the mood to fight at the time. Figured if I was going to grind I may as well get Holy, though I haven't had any trouble with bosses so far so maybe I could just go straight for the boss instead. *shrug*

thanks,

also, I edited another question, Anyone have a recommendation on a good 100% guide. I remember the game having lots of missable things. I'm just playing for nostalgia mostly anyway, as I went through the game on my own back in the day.

I tried looking around and the only one I could find is for the vanilla version, I'm afraid.
Sorry if that isn't too helpful.

Tiamant

Both dresspheres can be obtaineřd when you first get control of the Celsius. For festivalist you have to talk to Brother, for Psychic you need to win the first Shinra tournament at the Coliseum (can be very hard depending on which enemies are asigned to you)

Arthea

I can't remember where earliest in game we can get extra lvl1 key spheres. I used all I got along the way and I need one more desperately for Khimari.

SirNinja

I can't remember where earliest in game we can get extra lvl1 key spheres. I used all I got along the way and I need one more desperately for Khimari.

The road leading to the Moonflow has six of them (two chests with three each). Before that, Chocobo Eater and Sinspawn Gui also drop them.

Jacobbles

My quest to get all the Celestial Weapons has brought me to... Blitzball.

Anyone have a guide for this? I've never touched this minigame before and it seems I'm going to need a lot of help.

ramyeon

Just did lightning dodging for 15 minutes straight. I wasn't counting, just put a timer on. Managed to get the reward for 150 so I was... close... ugh. Dunno how I slipped up at the end, my concentration just lapsed.

Shahadan

Anyone have a guide for this? I've never touched this minigame before and it seems I'm going to need a lot of help.

I like how the rest of the game has a good tutorial approach, but for blitzball they just drop on you a big list of 10+ names with associated tutorials.

Arthea

Just did lightning dodging for 15 minutes straight. I wasn't counting, just put a timer on. Managed to get the reward for 150 so I was... close... ugh. Dunno how I slipped up at the end, my concentration just lapsed.

That's main problem with this awful thing. It so boring that attention just slips sooner or later and that's it. Not even talking about headache it induces.

There are extensive guides for it, but you really don't need them, practice some, hire better players, or just jechtshot to victory.

SirNinja

Blitz gets really easy once you sign great players. Brother is a great choice and works well with Tidus. Perhaps most important, though: try to get Nimrook (found in the airship) when his contract with the Al Bhed Psyches expires. He's an outstanding goalie; even at level 1, he has an insane catch stat of 18, which will block almost anything. You can't lose if they can't score...

ramyeon

That's main problem with this awful thing. It so boring that attention just slips sooner or later and that's it. Not even talking about headache it induces.
Yeah that's definitely it, my mind just ends up wandering elsewhere so I'm gonna break it up into lots of 5 minutes and probably try to keep that up for a total of around 20 minutes. So 4 lots. That should be more than enough I think, since I was able to get over 150 in 15 minutes.

Dinjooh

If you're going in blind, you'll probably loose some games early on, you'll soon learn that Jecht Shot is hilariously op and as soon as you level and recruit some other players (I always fancied the guadoes for their speed and simply outswim all the others) you'll easily win over everyone else. (Easily as 7-0 or so in each game)

Banzai

It's actually kinda sad how extremely easy blitzball becomes once you get a few better players (Nimrook in particular).
If it was balanced better Blitzball could be a LOT of fun. I remember having a MF on my ps2 save that could shoot from anywhere on the field and still score (and if not make the goalie fall asleep which is a free goal anyway).
Pretty sure I once won with a score of 22-0 against the ronsos.

Jacobbles

Great! Thanks for the advice. I'm not really looking to "enjoy" blitzball, I just need to get it done for Wakka's weapon. I've always hated the one game you have to play as part of the story so hearing it gets pretty easy with the right players takes a load off my mind.

Dinjooh

Great! Thanks for the advice. I'm not really looking to "enjoy" blitzball, I just need to get it done for Wakka's weapon. I've always hated the one game you have to play as part of the story so hearing it gets pretty easy with the right players takes a load off my mind.

As a kid I thought that fight was impossible to win, so I too hated Blitzball on my first encounter with it. Going around scouting, leveling up and getting some new overdrives is kind of relaxing though.

Arthea

Yeah that's definitely it, my mind just ends up wandering elsewhere so I'm gonna break it up into lots of 5 minutes and probably try to keep that up for a total of around 20 minutes. So 4 lots. That should be more than enough I think, since I was able to get over 150 in 15 minutes.

it probably is around 20 minutes for all thing, when I think about it's not that much, and it still depends on a player all the way, if one can keep concentration for that long, it is done. While chocobo racing for negative time is real abomination here, as it requires tremendous luck to win. Nothing with that requirement should even be in a game, let alone only option to get an ultimate weapon of main character.

Prototype

Both dresspheres can be obtaineřd when you first get control of the Celsius. For festivalist you have to talk to Brother, for Psychic you need to win the first Shinra tournament at the Coliseum (can be very hard depending on which enemies are asigned to you)

got festival, coliseum for Pyschic, got it. ty

ramyeon

it probably is around 20 minutes for all thing, when I think about it's not that much, and it still depends on a player all the way, if one can keep concentration for that long, it is done. While chocobo racing for negative time is real abomination here, as it requires tremendous luck to win. Nothing with that requirement should even be in a game, let alone only option to get an ultimate weapon of main character.
Yeah the Race definitely sucks. They both do. I mean the dodging lightning thing is just really mundane and silly. The race is too hard and dependent on good positioning of the balloons. They both suck :p Blitzball was at least fun until the fatigue set in. If I'd been playing little by little over the course of the game it would've been fine.

Not looking forward to the Butterfly game after I finish up with these damn lightning bolts (Just finished 15 minutes worth... hope to have good news in 5-10 minutes).

Shahed

I think I'm gonna be insane and try Lightning dodging the first time you go to the Thunder Plains without a No Encounter weapon. I heard there was a place you can wedge yourself so you don't move and thus get no battles

Top Bottom