• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

ramyeon

Well, I'm glad that's over and done with.

2014-03-25-2048396ucu1.jpg

Ended up doing it for 30 minutes just in case. I don't know if there's a way to check your best record, but I'm sure I probably got around 300 lol. Only Rikku, Kimahri and Auron left.

Shahed

I thought there was a way to check? And the above screenshot is disappointing! I was hoping the trophy would pop while dodging si I would know that I've hit 200 instead of doing an extra 30 or so for some leeway

ramyeon

I thought there was a way to check? And the above screenshot is disappointing! I was hoping the trophy would pop while dodging si I would know that I've hit 200 instead of doing an extra 30 or so for some leeway
There might be a way to, that's why I said I don't know :p

And yeah it'd be helpful if it did.

Holmes

Butterfly catching isn't so bad. Just don't try to get all the blue butterflies on your first few runs. Rather, look for the red butterflies and take note if their positions along the path. It could be difficult at first to see if you need to hang right or left to avoid it, but once you're in the zone, it should be cake.

ZeroX03

Banned
What's up with every character saying "You know?" all the time? Is it just to fill in the lip syncing gaps? Never stood out to me, but watching a scene where half the characters say it -
pre: Yunalesca: Tidus, Jecht, Yuna, Wakka and Rikku all say it within 2 minutes
- it's pretty funny.

Shiina

What's up with every character saying "You know?" all the time? Is it just to fill in the lip syncing gaps? Never stood out to me, but watching a scene where half the characters say it -
- it's pretty funny.

Shoddy/boring translation is my guess.

I'm almost 100% convinced that it's impossible to win that first blitzball game though. Can't assign Jehct shot before the game starts, get ONE use of it due to Tidus's HP. Tidus still leaves the game and brings in Wakka who's stats are far worse...I feel like losing 2 to 3 was a victory in an of itself.
I won it my fourth try 1 - 0 in double overtime. If you push the game to overtime, the first team to score wins (like hockey). The game previous to the one that I won, I lost 1-0 in overtime...

I used manual control (a must - the two games I left the offensive movement on Auto I got my ass kicked) and did not have the Jecht shot, but I passed the ball A LOT, trying to maintain control and that seemed to work. When I gave up the ball, I was deep in the enemy zone which let me wear them down before they got into position for a shot. My players leveled up with each period, which helped.

marrec

Banned
- it's pretty funny.

Because it was localized during a period of time when people thought that we wanted the VO to match the animation instead of an actually good VO.

Which is why the VO ended up being so terrible for a lot of characters, especially Tidus.

ramyeon

I can't see these damn butterflies on the Vita's tiny screen....
I found that pretty easy, only took a few rounds of each course to nail it.

So with the Mars Sigil... How do I get it? I've captured at least one of each fiend in 10 different areas but I didn't get it from the guy...

Cheddahz

Banned
..well, Amazon finally gave me my refund for the PS3 that I got last week that didn't work, so I went ahead and ordered another one! I should finally be playing Final Fantasy X this Thursday

Ourobolus

Banned
Man, I don't remember Evrae being so easy. Didn't even fall back at all.

Finally made it to the Calm Lands. Now to go back and capture countless enemies because that's how I roll.

Ourobolus

Banned
Any tips for Evrae? I lost to it last night but it was 2 AM so I went to bed.
Dark Attack/Buster (he's resistant so you may want to rely on buster)
Haste (you can slow him too, but good luck)
Al Bhed Potions
If you have Dispel, use it when he casts Haste.

Beat the shit out of him.

EDIT: Delay Attack/Buster if you got it.

I never captured enemies in my PS2 days, what does this do?

Capturing enemies gets you rewards and unlocks super-enemies at the Monster Arena in the Calm Lands.

Dinjooh

Any tips for Evrae? I lost to it last night but it was 2 AM so I went to bed.

I remember him being tough as fuck when I was a kid, but last night I eh... Hastega with Tidus and then I just wacked the shit out of him with Auron, Tidus and Lulu. Didn't take many hits before he was down, brought Kimahri or Rikku in with Al Bhed Potion whenever necessary because of poison.

Great. Right as I hit the last butterfly and the chest shows up I accidentally run into the next area. I hate this game.

Edit: Luckily it's a lot easier the second time.

Holmes

So with the Mars Sigil... How do I get it? I've captured at least one of each fiend in 10 different areas but I didn't get it from the guy...
Try unlocking Species Conquest and Original fiends.

Manu

I remember him being tough as fuck when I was a kid, but last night I eh... Hastega with Tidus and then I just wacked the shit out of him with Auron, Tidus and Lulu. Didn't take many hits before he was down, brought Kimahri or Rikku in with Al Bhed Potion whenever necessary because of poison.

Fuck, I don't have Hastega yet.

squall211

Blitzball question for all of you.

I just finshed a league and got Status Reels. Assuming Wakka's been in enough battles to get the Auroch Reels, can I simply save my game, go to the Blitzball screen, and if Auroch reels are not a prize for a league or tournament, reset my game and check again? Or would I be stuck with resetting my data or going through the league and getting a worthless prize.

ZeroX03

Banned
Blitzball question for all of you.

I just finshed a league and got Status Reels. Assuming Wakka's been in enough battles to get the Auroch Reels, can I simply save my game, go to the Blitzball screen, and if Auroch reels are not a prize for a league or tournament, reset my game and check again? Or would I be stuck with resetting my data or going through the league and getting a worthless prize.

For the Aurochs Reel, just go in and out of the Blitzball menu over and over until it comes up as a prize for the Tournament. You only need to reset data for the league.

I don't know how I played this game when I was younger. Everything feels 100x harder. I tried to get anima and can't get past 1st water boss, so I try get ject sphere / al bhed book in besaid and can't beat dark valfor, tried omega ruins died. I can't progress for crap, I don't remember struggling this much. I must of grind like crazy back then. Where should I go grind? Feel like buying the vita version just for the grinding.

Man I feel this same way. I must've been a gaming wiz at 19, because at almost 32 the game does seem a little difficult. Even on Mi'hen Highroad I was taking a beating, finally got to the Thunder Plains, didn't feel like buying the Thunder Ward armor at Guadosalam and three encounters in got my face pushed in. It was sad. I don't remember this game being even remotely difficult. I am using the Expert Sphere Grid, but I think I prefer it. There was a place early on for Yuna to swing over and Grab the -ra elements and then swing back in the the White Magic space. It delays Cura, but Yuna's Black magic is stronger than Lulu's right now. Even though I haven't gotten it, Quick Hit being nerfed is pretty brutal.

Wow, thanks for this. I'm not trying for it quite yet(Just got to the TPlains), but when I do that will come in handy. I remember when I was younger there was another place where Tidus doesn't jump back so you avoid encounters, that's how I originally did it, but forcing them is handy.

Shahed

Okay first time I'm finding the game annoying. It took a bit getting used to, but I was fine with random battles. But unless I'm mistaken, the encounter rate in the Thunder Plains is a lot higher. It's high for my liking

I thought it was something else to unlock? Have you seen how every now and then you unlock a new monster to fight at the arena via catching enemies? I thought it was once you've unlocked 10 unique monsters you get it?

ramyeon

Productive day! Started off with only Tidus' celestial weapon fully upgraded and ended it with all of them! Never thought I'd see the day lol.
Okay first time I'm finding the game annoying. It took a bit getting used to, but I was fine with random battles. But unless I'm mistaken, the encounter rate in the Thunder Plains is a lot higher. It's high for my liking

I thought it was something else to unlock? Have you seen how every now and then you unlock a new monster to fight at the arena via catching enemies? I thought it was once you've unlocked 10 unique monsters you get it?
My bad, I was missing the Qactuar in Thunder Plains. It is unlocking any combination of 10 Area or Species Conquest fiends, the quickest way is to get 1 of each fiend in 10 different areas.

Holmes

Argh, three more Zus and I'm done with Bikanel. Of course they're not showing up.

Does anyone know the best ways to make money? I sold a ton of equipment from One Eye and made a pretty penny, but I don't need to really fight him anymore. Is Gillionaire + Mimics in Omega Ruins really the best? Mimics don't exactly have a high enounter rate...

anddo0

It really sucks playing a game that you have no chance at winning (first blitz ball game).
Is there even a point to playing it later on? I know the first game is impossible to win (now)

braves01

Banned
The thing that has dated this game most for me was the macarena joke Tidus makes when they're actually going to
Macalania

ramyeon

It really sucks playing a game that you have no chance at winning (first blitz ball game).
Is there even a point to playing it later on? I know the first game is impossible to win (now)
The first game is not impossible to win, just a bit difficult. You don't need to win it though, don't worry.

If you want Wakka's overdrives and upgraded Celestial Weapon you'll need to play a lot of Blitzball. It's fun once you get the hang of it and get a decent team going.

The first game isn't impossible to win, just spend the first half passing, and only take a shot if you feel lucky. Then the second half pass the ball to tidus and score with jecht shot. Then you can go back to passing. When Wakka gets in you should be able to pass him the ball and score once more. This guarantees you 2 goals at least, so if you can keep them to 1 or 2 you should be good. I finished the game 3-2. Jetty scored a goal in the first half by being wide open right next to the goal.

Beant

I am having SUCH a hard time dodging lightning on the vita. I can barely get a streak going, and I am in a good dodging spot. Is it input lag? Do I have the reactions of a sloth? Anyone have some tips?

Question about the sphere grid (I know it's probably been beaten to death, sorry!)

If I traverse 3 nodes with 1 go, but I use power sphere's on all 3, will I gain the stat bonuses from all 3? Or do I have to go one node at a time and use a power sphere?

Ourobolus

Banned
Question about the sphere grid (I know it's probably been beaten to death, sorry!)

If I traverse 3 nodes with 1 go, but I use power sphere's on all 3, will I gain the stat bonuses from all 3? Or do I have to go one node at a time and use a power sphere?

You have to activate each node to get the bonus from a node. Since you can only activate nodes you are on or adjacent to, if you go 3 spaces and don't activate the first one, you'll have to go back.

EDIT: I don't really understand what you're asking since both of your options sound exactly the same. Hope I'm answering it though.

Honestly, I think the most disappointing thing about the game is the cross-save feature. Everything else is great. The mechanics and the story still hold up, the graphics have never looked so good, the voice acting is what it is (they never claimed they were going to improve it), and finally getting the International version here in the US is a dream come true.

The cross-save feature? Is a overly-difficult, unintuitive pile of crap. I can get over having to manually start an upload. Automatic uploads would be awesome, but I can deal. But having to go back to the main menu to do it, with no way to get back to the main menu without resetting or closing the game? Bull crap. They already had to hijack the Save Game command to send it to the Vita's save mechanism, why couldn't they have added an "Upload Data" option or button or something there? Not to mention that every time I go to upload, it's somehow changed which saves I told it to sync and uploads out of date saves, so I have to manually choose which save(s) to upload every single time. Then the obnoxious fact that it doesn't preserve the timestamp on the save files. I keep five saves in case I need to backtrack, but when I send them back and forth between the Vita and the PS3, they end up with the same timestamp (the time I synced the new files to the new system), so I can't tell at a glance which is the most recent. The whole cross-save function in general just reeks of lack of playtesting.

It just pisses me off that I make progress at work during lunch on my Vita, but then have to spend 10 minutes of my limited play time once I get home just to be able to start playing on my PS3, and then make sure I leave enough time at the end to go through the reverse process just so I can play on my Vita during lunch the next day.

You have to activate each node to get the bonus from a node.

Okay, that's how I've been doing it; moving one node, activating a power/mana sphere and then moving on that node.

Thanks Ouro!

EDIT - Saw your edit: My ultimate question was, if I have 2 nodes activated with power sphere and then I decide to move across 3 nodes passing those 2 I just activated, will I gain bonuses from both because they were in my path? Or do I need to go one node a time?

Okay, that's how I've been doing it; moving one node, activating a power/mana sphere and then moving on that node.

Thanks Ouro!

EDIT - Saw your edit: My ultimate question was, if I have 2 nodes activated with power sphere and then I decide to move across 3 nodes passing those 2 I just activated, will I gain bonuses from both because they were in my path? Or do I need to go one node a time?

You gain the bonus by activating a node. Moving is purely to give you access to more nodes, the bonus is yours the moment you use a Sphere to activate a node.

Top Bottom