• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

Manu

If you properly manage each characters sphere grid path (ex: keeping Tidus around Haste, until you get the first Lvl 2 key sphere, then having him cut through the end of Auron's grid for ridiculous strength gains), then your characters should be doing at least that much regardless.

That's even assuming you're running from most battles and not grinding whatsoever btw

Not everyone has this kind of knowledge on their first walkthrough. I know I don't.

Also, why the condescending tone?

Ferrio

Banned
Still can't decide to replay FFX or play FFX-2 for the first time.

Good chance I'll be burned out at the end of either one....

Flandy

That was pretty effective:

The scene in the desert when Tidus is alone and that huge bird boss appears. I literally was like "Woahhh" and Tidus was like "Woahh", of course Auron and Lulu to help out.

If you keep your HP high they won't show up

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The game is definitely one of my favorites. FFX is so consistent thematically. Everything works. Truly a great job by the artists and designers.

But, and this is my youthful exuberance fading, so much about the plot is incredibly hokey. Like just the general sequence of events and dialog between the characters. It really makes me appreciate FF12, which is so much more deliberate in how it deals with exposition and the delivery of necessary information to the player. It is a much less intricate story and it is a longer game (and this is not even to speak about the quality of the story), but it just feels so much more...considered.

Anyway I love this game. But I do feel complaints about the voice acting this time through that I used to dismiss. Oddly enough, not the laughing scene...which I still think is very, very effective.

Flandy

If you properly manage each characters sphere grid path (ex: keeping Tidus around Haste, until you get the first Lvl 2 key sphere, then having him cut through the end of Auron's grid for ridiculous strength gains), then your characters should be doing at least that much regardless.

That's even assuming you're running from most battles and not grinding whatsoever btw

You say that as if it were common knowledge

Flandy

The game is definitely one of my favorites. FFX is so consistent thematically. Everything works. Truly a great job by the artists and designers.

But, and this is my youthful exuberance fading, so much about the plot is incredibly hokey. Like just the general sequence of events and dialog between the characters. It really makes me appreciate FF12, which is so much more deliberate in how it deals with exposition and the delivery of necessary information to the player. It is a much less intricate story and it is a longer game (and this is not even to speak about the quality of the story), but it just feels so much more...considered.

Anyway I love this game. But I do feel complaints about the voice acting this time through that I used to dismiss. Oddly enough, not the laughing scene...which I still think is very, very effective.
Is the story in XII any good? I've never really heard anyone praise it and most people seem to dislike the main character or something.
If I could rename the team, my team would be the Chie-Batman Alliance. Mark III.

There is no Mark I or II.
Hypoallergenic Chie
(Today, 06:09 PM)
image.php

Xenex

How have I only just found out about the theatre?! -.-

I'll be watching "The Spring" over and over now :lol

Hollycat

Is the story in XII any good? I've never really heard anyone praise it and most people seem to dislike the main character or something.

Hypoallergenic Chie
(Today, 06:09 PM)
image.php

SSSSSSHHHHHH

I'm roleplaying a rabid Chie fan.

Okay, maybe it's not all roleplay.

Chie I want to have your babiz.

Whogie

I need a cover scan for this game. I have the limited edition, but I didn't expect the art book to be the case as well. As cool as that is, it sticks out.
I won't be needing my FFXIV PS3 case/disc once the PS4 version is out. I can use that case.

The cutscenes are somewhat, but not as awkward as I remember them. I just finished Operation Mi'hen. Still fun.
Gatta = dead. Just seemed like better closure for Wakka with Luzzu.

Mr. RHC

Was it just me...
or was anyone else having major
Metal Gear Solid 4
Rex Hangar vibes during the desert Al Bhedian base sequence? Everything in flames, Tidus crying about Yuna like Otacon was crying about Naomi? Kimahri was almost like Raiden on his way just being a total boss and Tidus was beating up the Aeon while Otcan was crying at Mk2? Anyways, great scene!

SirNinja

If you keep your HP high they won't show up

It's funnier if you beat the Zu with just Tidus. At the end of the battle you see Lulu and Auron just lounging around in the scenery behind him, like they were there the whole time but just decided to watch.

Guys, Lulu's Bio is extremely effective in Bikanel desert. It really helps with massive HP enemies!

Yeah, it takes a percentage of health rather than a set amount. It's also very effective against the few bosses that are susceptible to it (especially
Seymour's various incarnations
).

ZeroX03

Banned
Was it just me...
or was anyone else having major
Metal Gear Solid 4
vibes during the desert Al Bhedian base sequence? Everything in flames, Tidus crying about Yuna like Otacon was crying about Naomi? Kimahri was almost like Raiden on his way just being a total boss and Tidus was beating up the Aeon while Otcan was crying at Mk2? Anyways, great scene!

That seems like an incredibly massive stretch.

HeelPower

Can I just express my hatred of that Catcher Chocobo race? Getting that Sun Sigil was a nightmare.

Worst part is that I still have to do butterflies and lightning bolts.

I got physically tired while doing the lightning bolts.Its extremely strenuous for the eyes.

I wish I could get the platinum but I doubt I will.

Yeah, it takes a percentage of health rather than a set amount. It's also very effective against the few bosses that are susceptible to it (especially
Seymour's various incarnations
).

Yeah I am gonna abuse from now on. I have never really utilized in my previous playthroughs. Its a good chunk of damage everytime an enemy attacks or takes an action.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Question, and nobody probably knows but still
Why didn't they use the hi poly models for everything
I understood why it was like that on PS2 but why update multiple models instead of just replacing them all with the Hi poly ones instead? Wouldn't it been easier too?
Its just more jarring to see in HD then was before and sometimes they use the low poly models(say Tidus) for close ups while jumping to Yuna with a high poly model which isnt as close?!
As I said I understood it on PS2, why repeat it when they could have replaced them low poly models.

Synless

I understood why it was like that on PS2 but why update multiple models instead of just replacing them all with the Hi poly ones instead?
Wouldn't it been easier to?
I wondered the same thing.

HeelPower

I understood why it was like that on PS2 but why update multiple models instead of just replacing them all with the Hi poly ones instead?

Maybe the game engine can't render that? Maybe it would require a lot more work.

If they did the game would look even better.Yuna's low poly model is so ugly.Her eyes are so weird.

Erigu

Assuming it wasn't technical limitations, my guess: no corresponding animation data for all those scenes -> (a lot) more work.

Any tips on winning the first blitz ball match? I just can't score. Keep on getting to overtime and then losing.

Well... you can cheese the AI a bit. Get the ball to Letty, have him swim so he is behind Keepa. The camera will start to wig out and if you watch the mini map the players will too. What you mainly want to wait for is the AI to all be heading towards you so that there is essentially nothing between Tidus and the goal. Then you throw the ball to Tidus, get close to the goal, use sphere shot and win.

That's the strategy I remember from a FAQ years ago.

Manu

Late story spoiler question:

How did Auron continue to age after dying? He was 25 when he died, why is he older? Do the unsent continue to age normally?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Assuming it wasn't technical limitations, my guess: no corresponding animation data for all those scenes -> (a lot) more work.
Yep that makes sense, as the original low polys didn't have any facial animation and was just a texture they would have to do new animations for mouth, eyes, etc
OK thats understandable, didn't think of that lol
The game still looks fantastic considering its been over 10 years since I played it.

Xenex

I wish I could get the platinum but I doubt I will.

Don't say that. It might be a hopeless campaign, and it might mean defying your self belief... But Gaffers and gamers alike - they're doing their best to defeat FFX/X-2 HD Remaster. They want to rid uncollected trophies forever. And that's just what we want, too, isn't it? Isn't it?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Couple of survey questions for you, gaf.

How many of you are playing this for the first time? What are your impressions? Surprisingly, I'm enjoying this more than I did 10 years ago. Maybe it's years of the internet telling me how whiny Tidus was, but I'm really liking him as a main character. There were also quite a few scenes I just didn't appreciate back then like I can now.

For those of you who played X and not X-2, will you be giving it a try? It's such a fun, fast-paced title that adds closure to a lot of little things from X. I implore you give it more than 30min to dig into the battle system. Hopefully, we're all past the "eww charlie's angels" phase by now. =)

Ourobolus

Banned
Whew. Chocobo racing didn't take too long at all.

Decided to worry about monster catching after the airship. Going against my nature.

Mr. RHC

Couple of survey questions for you, gaf.

How many of you are playing this for the first time? What are your impressions? Surprisingly, I'm enjoying this more than I did 10 years ago. Maybe it's years of the internet telling me how whiny Tidus was, but I'm really liking him as a main character. There were also quite a few scenes I just didn't appreciate back then like I can now.

For those of you who played X and not X-2, will you be giving it a try? It's such a fun, fast-paced title that adds closure to a lot of little things from X. I implore you give it more than 30min to dig into the battle system. Hopefully, we're all past the "eww charlie's angels" phase by now. =)

First time here, sort of, played a couple of hours of it a few years ago. The remaster is top notch, looks, sounds and plays very nicely. The combat system is thoroughly enjoyable. The writing and dialogue is much better and consistent, beside the overarching and exaggerated Sin here Sin there Sin everywhere, than I expected and the interpersonal sequences are some of the best in the series in terms of variety. Voice acting is off sometimes but also funny.

I think I will give X-2 a try but first let me see how FFX resolves things.

Manu

Looks like I screwed myself up not grabbing the Sun Crest after Yunalesca.

I guess I'm not getting the ultimate weapons. Oh well.

I love how every Blitzball match ends with like a score of 6-0 in my favor except against the psyches where it always ends up as a overtime death match. I like the game but it takes waaaaaay too long. It's ridiculous that I can spend an hour playing and basically accomplish nothing.

My only complaint about graphics in the game are the scenes where the backgrounds have the whole "FF7 effect" going on. Like they're clearly just images, not rendered objects. Now there aren't many scenes like this, but it looks especially off with the updated character models.

Biggest instance of this is when you leave the
Zanarkand Dome and see Sin
, SO MUCH JPEG.

It's shown at the start of this video, spoiler warning etc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpWlR9bhlN0

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
First time here, sort of, played a couple of hours of it a few years ago. The remaster is top notch, looks, sounds and plays very nicely. The combat system is thoroughly enjoyable. The writing and dialogue is much better and consistent, beside the overarching and exaggerated Sin here Sin there Sin everywhere, than I expected and the interpersonal sequences are some of the best in the series in terms of variety. Voice acting is off sometimes but also funny.

I think I will give X-2 a try but first let me see how FFX resolves things.
Glad to hear it. Man the ending... you're in for a treat, haha.

Pyreflies.
Truly the nanomachines of FFX.

RPGCrazied

Looks like I screwed myself up not grabbing the Sun Crest after Yunalesca.

I guess I'm not getting the ultimate weapons. Oh well.

Yeah, I tried fighting Dark Valefor and got destroyed. I guess all Dark Aeons are like that? I just wanted to go back to Besaid Village, lol.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah, I tried fighting Dark Valefor and got destroyed. I guess all Dark Aeons are like that? I just wanted to go back to Besaid Village, lol.

I guess Valefor is the easiest, actually.

Gonna be maxing stats before I take any of them on, though. Probably gonna be killing earth eater for the next couple days, haha.

RPGCrazied

I guess Valefor is the easiest, actually.

Gonna be maxing stats before I take any of them on, though. Probably gonna be killing earth eater for the next couple days, haha.

earth eater?

He's the easiest of the bunch. Still far more challenging than any story boss though. There's always Zanmoto.

Yeah, but I never know how much gil to give him to even have a chance at the move. I got it once for 500gil, now he doesn't do it anymore.

Flandy

Question about the last Cloister of Trials
I seem to remember having to go a 2nd time to get the Destruction Sphere. Is it doable in one shot or do you NEED to return? I know the there's a Sigil or Crest thats blocked by a Dark Aeon but I was wondering if it blocks the normal temple too?

Levyne

Banned
I seem to remember having to go a 2nd time to get the Destruction Sphere. Is it doable in one shot or do you NEED to return? I know the there's a Sigil or Crest thats blocked by a Dark Aeon but I was wondering if it blocks the normal temple too?

If you get the sigil, you don't need to worry :)

You return after you get the Airship to do the destruction sphere puzzle. The chest will appear in the big main room. Dark Bahamut appears in Yunalesca's room I'm pretty sure, so you won't have to fight him.

Hollycat

Nope, you can do the destruction later.

OmegaDL50

Well he has 800,000 HP and he's the weakest of the bunch.

There is a sure fire way to kill Dark Valefor in a single attack.

However it requires Wakka to have his maxed out Celestial Weapon and very high STR.

He needs to do at least 67000 per hit of damage for Attack Reels. Auto-Haste is also recommended.

Just consider this 67000 x 12 = 804,000. So if you can eventually get Wakka powered up big time and has a weapon of Break Damage Limit with his Overdrive gauge full, Dark Valefor doesn't pose any sort of issue.

There is also a super strong boosted Yuna with a strong
Anima
which Overdrive hits 16 times..So if you boost her Aeon, that is an alternative for Wakka's Attack Reels.

Or the last alternative being Yojimbo and paying him in the hopes he uses Zanmato.

Any of these three methods are likely to be the quickest.

Flandy

You guys are fast
If you get the sigil, you don't need to worry :)
I wasn't asking about that and I already know to get it before leaving :p
You return after you get the Airship to do the destruction sphere puzzle. The chest will appear in the big main room. Dark Bahamut appears in Yunalesca's room I'm pretty sure, so you won't have to fight him.
Thanks. That's what I wanted to know
Nope, you can do the destruction later.
There's a big difference between "you can" and "you have to" :p

Top Bottom