• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

Zephyx

That's the thing. They can be an anti-machina faction without the name 'New Yevon' Why would you want to be associate your faction with a name that should be universally reviled? And only a short time after Yevon have been defaced. More importantly, how the hell did they succeeded?

You just can't disassociate religion (can be anything actually) to people especially if it's deeply embedded in their culture/way of life. It also applies to real life like in politics where a slight change in name or usage of a popular term is all you need to prove that in essence, you are still the same party even with a change in perspective.

SougoXIII

You just can't disassociate religion (can be anything actually) to people especially if it's deeply embedded in their culture/way of life. It also applies to real life like in politics where a slight change in name or usage of a popular term is all you need to prove that in essence, you are still the same party even with a change in perspective.

I know but my point Yevon is an extreme, extreme example of this. A real world example would if, and I feel really uncomfortable bringing this up, only after 2 years the end of WWII, there's a party running for power calling themselves the 'Neo-Nazi' in Germany and some managed to get enough support to be a major power. Now it doesn't matter if this 'Neo-Nazi's slogan is for the betterment of mankind, people are not going to take it seriously at best and outright condemn it at worst.

Links to Pot-Shots of the FFX-2 100% Checklist in the New HD Remaster Guide. Just in case someone wants them

PAGE 1

PAGE 2

PAGE 3

PAGE 4

I wonder how this compares to my original FFX-2 guide I got when the game first released. Should be the same, I'd imagine since most of the new International stuff is optional dresspheres and the tournament which have no impact on the Story % afaik.

Isn't the maximum % over 100% though?

XJF

I wonder how this compares to my original FFX-2 guide I got when the game first released. Should be the same, I'd imagine since most of the new International stuff is optional dresspheres and the tournament which have no impact on the Story % afaik.

After my 7 playthroughs on PS2 I had 100+%. forgot the actual number though. Not sure if that was a glitch or something that was fixed in the I+LM version

After my 7 playthroughs on PS2 I had 100+%. forgot the actual number though. Not sure if that was a glitch or something that was fixed in the I+LM version

I'm pretty sure if you choose the right faction, you can potentially get over 100%, but I can't really confirm one way or another since I've only played the game once, and I didn't get 100%. I was so sad, though... Got high 90s.. like 98%+ iirc.

OmegaDL50

Most of the information in the HD Remaster guide is carry overs from the original Brady guides for FFX and FFX-2, a lot of the fluff was cutout, text was made smaller to fit the content of both books into a single book and info covering most of the International Content was added.

100% completion in whole refers to the story completion percentile. All of the new content such as the two new Dress Spheres, Monster Capture / Recruits, the Monster Tournament, and of course Last Mission which like you said won't contribute to getting this 100%.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Took me exactly 36 minutes of on and off TV whole gaming to do the Chocobo Catcher. I just stuck to a few sale things and I came out alright.

1. Not getting hit is more important than getting a balloon.
2. I focused on just the left side, to get more practice that way.
3. Most importantly. DON'T HOLD FORWARD. The Chocobo moves forward on its own. All you need to do us steer left and right, and it's impossible to go backward so that makes everything easier. Since you can only go forward, it's less steering and more, directing. The Chocobo have about 5 or 7 different angles of turning radius. I just used the D-pad to fine tune exactly how far left or right I wanted to go. And I never held the button down, that's a good way to lose your bearings.
4. Second most importantly. Your run is over after 3 bird hits. Which means you're gonna get screwed over. A lot. Turn the TV on or something and wait out the last 15 seconds of failure when you know you lost a run. Take a chill pill.

Most of the information in the HD Remaster guide is carry overs from the original Brady guides for FFX and FFX-2, a lot of the fluff was cutout, text was made smaller to fit the content of both books into a single book and mentions of the International Content was added.

100% completion in whole refers to the story completion percentile. All of the new content such as the two new Dress Spheres, Monster Capture / Recruits, the Monster Tournament, and of course Last Mission which like you said won't contribute to getting this 100%.

Ah okay. I'll just use my Brady Games guide then. And I might look at another one just to double check before I do each chapter.

---

You know, there's one thing I don't really like about FFX - the weapon and armor system. In theory, it sounds great - having the ability to customize and add auto-abilities/etc to your weapons. But it makes getting new weapons quite boring sometimes. In other RPGs/FFs, you find a new/better weapon fairly often - that's always fun. But in FFX, I go for LONG stretches of play with never changing my weapon at all. I have used Brotherhood since I got it at the beginning of the game. And I'll likely continue to use it until I get his ultimate weapon. I guess part of it is I just finished Lightning Returns a little bit ago, and that game has such fun customization that I feel like FFX lacks. I mean, I like the sphere grid - that's still great. Just not a fan of the weapon/armor system.

XJF

I chose Yuna's festivalist because of the elemental spells and I thought the same until she cast "Piro++ 2" which in english should me something like "Firaga 2", dealing 3000 damage. Meanwhile the rest of the party struggled to do 200's
Flare?

Levyne

Banned
Finally got the 7th tower. My palms are sweaty and I'm shaking and surprisingly out of breath, haha.

I dunno if it was a placebo effect or not, but I switched to what I believe is a faster response display and it seemed to help.

Tiamant

No, its definitely a fire spell. Festivalist Yuna has 4 elemental attacks that have a random factor, they either can be fire, fira, firaga or a fourth tier that I guess it will be called something like firaga 2 in english.

when you master those 4 elemental skills then you unlock a flare spell.

Holmes

X-2 is such a fun game. Screw the haters. Had a blast in my first Creature Creator tournament. The dressphere system is top notch. The visual changes to the characters' artwork in the menu depending on what dressphere they have equipped is such a great touch.

Korezo

So I have to defeat every created boss in monster arena even after capturing 10 of all monsters to unlock nemesis? Wow I might just give up on trying to play the game.

Holmes

Handing out balloons in a flashback in Luca, someone says "this will make a lovely souvenir" when I hand her one. Aha.

XJF

So I have to defeat every created boss in monster arena even after capturing 10 of all monsters to unlock nemesis? Wow I might just give up on trying to play the game.

Yes, You have to defeat all Species Conquest, Area Conquest, and Original Monsters to unlock Nemesis

OmegaDL50

No, its definitely a fire spell. Festivalist Yuna has 4 elemental attacks that have a random factor, they either can be fire, fira, firaga or a fourth tier that I guess it will be called something like firaga 2 in english.

In games that have a fourth-tier of power they usually have a Ja suffix.

Firaja, Thundaja, Blizzaja, Waterja, and Aeroja exist in various FF titles. Notably FFXI, FF Tactics, and FF XII, and few spells in Bravely Default.

Honestly, I feel like FFX has possibly the worst "end game" of any of the FFs. So much grinding/capturing/shit minigames, etc. And I don't even really think most of the end-game optional bosses are that fun or give enough good rewards to warrant the time it takes to (get ready to) kill them.

Levyne

Banned
Honestly, I feel like FFX has possibly the worst "end game" of any of the FFs. So much grinding/capturing/shit minigames, etc. And I don't even really think most of the end-game optional bosses are that fun or give enough good rewards to warrant the time it takes to (get ready to) kill them.

Yeah. Since I just yojimbo'd everything, it was kind of disappointing in a way.

Well, clearly the solution is to not yojimbo everything, but when the game hands you an "I WIN" button in one hand, and offers an alternative of 20 hours of monster grinding, it's a hard decision not to make.

I really enjoy the game, but new things annoyed me this time through. The dark aeons / penance were kind of a let down.

OmegaDL50

None of the FF superbosses usually give significant rewards other then a key item that was little more then bragging rights.

Dating back to the first first super bosses in the series in FFV with Shinryu/Neo Shinryu and Omega /Omega Mk. V which simply were there.

FF7's Ruby and Emerald Weapon gave you a Gold Chocobo, which you probably already had at that point to get KOTR, and well at the point you also probably had the Master Materias as well.

FF8 again with Proof of Omega, and I doubt many thought rushing through FF9 to fight Ozma and to get the Excalibur II was hardly worth the planning involved, same for the near 4 hours it takes to kill Yazmat in FFXII.

No difference for the Dark Aeons and Penance either.

Atlantis

Yeah. Since I just yojimbo'd everything, it was kind of disappointing in a way.

Well, clearly the solution is to not yojimbo everything, but when the game hands you an "I WIN" button in one hand, and offers an alternative of 20 hours of monster grinding, it's a hard decision not to make.

I really enjoy the game, but new things annoyed me this time through. The dark aeons / penance were kind of a let down.

Unfortunately, the post game isn't very rewarding even if you decide not to Yojimbo. After your hours of stat grinding, you're rewarded with very shallow and boring fights.

I think the Monster Arena is fine, since you can beat most of it while your party is still relatively weak and there's a little more strategy to be had in the actual fights, beyond that though it gets very boring very quickly.

None of the FF superbosses usually give significant rewards other then a key item that was little more then bragging rights.

Dating back to the first first super bosses in the series in FFV with Shinryu/Neo Shinryu and Omega /Omega Mk. V which simply were there.

FF7's Ruby and Emerald Weapon gave you a Gold Chocobo, which you probably already had at that point to get KOTR, and well at the point you also probably had the Master Materias as well.

FF8 again with Proof of Omega, and I doubt many thought rushing through FF9 to fight Ozma and to get the Excalibur II was hardly worth the planning involved, same for the near 4 hours it takes to kill Yazmat in FFXII.

I suppose, but getting to those bosses was a lot less time consuming than what all you have to do in FFX. Like to prepare for FFX's end game bosses, you have to do so much boring stuff and incredibly frustrating minigames. I don't think the gameplay at the end of FFX is particularly fun either, though. I love the base-FFX combat system, but the end game is just Quick Hit and Overdrive spam over and over (the bosses have such a crazy amount of HP). I'm not saying you don't have abilities like that in previous FF games (KoTR for example), but those fights were far more entertaining to me.

Levyne

Banned
"Chief's throwing a feshtibble. Shinging and danshing and shellabebration? We're sheeking musishuns for a troupe, yesh?"

I love these guys.

NastyBook

Are there any guides for the Expert Sphere Grid? I decided to use based on suggestions made in this thread, but it's my first time, and I don't really know which buffs the characters should get.

Also, this game looks so clean. Just got to Besaid Island, and the new theme being placed to the actual level works even better for me now.

Hollycat

Could the fourth tier be Firagun?

Shinryu gave you a very powerful sword in FF5, and Ozma gave you a second Pumice Piece so you could fuse them to make the item to summon Ark.

aett

Even if I play FFX on my Vita while watching tv or whatever, I don't think I have the patience to max out Luck. Is it possible to beat the Dark Aeons and Penance by maxing out Accuracy and Evasion instead?

Cels

thinking of buying this. is limited edition of the remaster worth looking around for or should i just buy the standard edition? they are both the same price i would just have to spend a little effort to find the limited edition now that it's been two weeks since launch.

Levyne

Banned
A lot of guides seem to put off "main missions" until the last possible moment. Even though in that case it wouldn't make a difference. I guess it's a typical video game habit. When you know the right way, it's ingrained (in some of us anyway) to go all of the wrong ways first.

It's interesting hearing my younger brothers adopt this from their older brothers. "No, I don't want to go that way yet. It's the way I'm supposed to go."

NastyBook

thinking of buying this. is limited edition of the remaster worth looking around for or should i just buy the standard edition? they are both the same price i would just have to spend a little effort to find the limited edition now that it's been two weeks since launch.
Go for it. The book is nice, and it looks like the square enix store (U.S.) is still selling the LE version.

Atlantis

It's not a bad guide but I really don't understand why they put Besaid off for so long at the start. You'd be without the white mage sphere for way longer than you need to be.

It's probably best to finish the mission in Macalania then head over to Besaid, but I personally just go down the list and save the story missions for last.

Not having White Mage isn't really a huge deal, a Songstress with the Healing Wind GG works just as well at that point.

Aeana

It's probably best to finish the mission in Macalania then head over to Besaid, but I personally just go down the list and save the story missions for last.

Not having White Mage isn't really a huge deal, a Songstress with the Healing Wind GG works just as well at that point.

It's not that you need it for healing, it's that you'll have more time with it to level it. But I guess if you actually want to walk around grinding instead of leveling it organically, it doesn't matter. Although I actually prefer to have access to pray when I do Mi'ihen Highroad.

A lot of guides seem to put off "main missions" until the last possible moment. Even though in that case it wouldn't make a difference. I guess it's a typical video game habit. When you know the right way, it's ingrained (in some of us anyway) to go all of the wrong ways first.

It's interesting hearing my younger brothers adopt this from their older brothers. "No, I don't want to go that way yet. It's the way I'm supposed to go."

lol, this is so true. On games that have a way point or a button you can press to show you the way to continue on (like Bioshock Infinite/BaS for example), I'll press it to see where I have to go, but only so I don't go there first. I don't wanna miss anything, so I explore everywhere else first. xD

Atlantis

It's not that you need it for healing, it's that you'll have more time with it to level it. But I guess if you actually want to walk around grinding instead of leveling it organically, it doesn't matter. Although I actually prefer to have access to pray when I do Mi'ihen Highroad.

Heh, going in order like I do, Mi'ihen ends up being the first place you experience fights at. Getting a Shantak as your first fight is a fun experience.

As for leveling the White Mage, it's really not a problem. It is a Dressphere with a lot of good abilities to dump AP into, but every action it does earns AP so it ends up leveling fairly quickly as long as you make the effort to use it.

Hellix

Welp, I had to fight Dark Yojimbo 9 times because I apparently walked out of the cave when I thought it was all over.

B.K.

I'm farming Spheres now. I believe I've gotten enough Strength, Defense, and Magic Defense Spheres now. I'm not looking forward to grinding out Luck and Fortune Spheres.

XJF

I'm farming Spheres now. I believe I've gotten enough Strength, Defense, and Magic Defense Spheres now. I'm not looking forward to grinding out Luck and Fortune Spheres.

I skipped Luck and Fortune spheres and just dropped MDef everywhere for the Perfect Grid Master trophy. Fuckk all kinds of that. You need like 55 Luck spheres and ~448 Fortune Spheres. I chose Sanity.

I'm in the Calm Lands in Chapter 1 of X-2. I have absolutely no desire to go on right now. May take a break. 102 hours of X in 11 days may have burned me out.

Bladenic

Regarding X-2 order, my very first play through and all following I always go to Moonflow first to get Gun Mage (love that dress sphere). It's tough, but doing a good amount of fighting there basically makes the rest of chapter 1 a cake walk.

X-2's biggest problem was that it was just too easy. One time, just to test the difficulty, I flew through chapters 2 and 3 only doing story missions (so missing a good bit of really good equipment and spheres) and it was still pathetically easy.

Top Bottom