• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

QP3

Gameplay wise it has a well done job system. Absolutely excellent from what people say.
Story wise.. Well, I would invite you to see for yourself.

Gotcha. From the sounds of it the gameplay is fun, so I will likely enjoy it. I look forward to it, and thanks!

So I beat
Seymour Flux
the first attempt. I was so glad I was able to Grand Summon Bahamut before he did his 2500+ attack. Bio and Silence really did help. Also, crafting Mighty G really helped speed up the buffing. Now I feel like
Yunelesca
is the only challenge left.

Also, Yojimba was a pain. He would keep denying my deal. Luckily I got him to budge for 200,000 gil eventually.

wait till you get to the freaking mountain later on, random battles every 2 steps.

it's just weird.... i thought the crusaders and folks have this placed 'secured'? Why is the encounter rate worse than the other places lol.

This was way less of a hassle on my first playthrough on pc due to me having it run at 4x lol.

So of all these people attempting 100% X-2 and using a guide, which one seems to be the most accurate/foolproof? I see a few people have had to reset even while following a guide.

Just got my third celestial weapon, God hand!
Now only the tedious remain :/ not looking forward to it. Kimahri or Tidus are next not decided yet who to do first.

Heh, Tidus will be my first since all I need is to get access to the airship to finish his. Kimahri's is pretty easy and will probably be the first one most people do. The butterfly game I find is just to memorize the pattern and give up once you hit a red. You are always teleported back to the start. You can also look at a map if you want to get it your first chance. Lulu and Tidus have the hardest tasks to get their weapons easily.

Edit: The funny thing is my Mt. Gaz. journey that I did not have that bad of an encounter rate. I think Calm Lands takes the cake for that. Going to wait to get No Encounter before crossing that again.

squall211

Can someone tell me how to get Qactaurs to appear in the Thunder Plains? It's the only enemy I have left to capture in that area, but none seem to appear. I'm guessing it has someting to so with those stone monuments, but I don't remember what to do with them.

Levyne

Banned
So of all these people attempting 100% X-2 and using a guide, which one seems to be the most accurate/foolproof? I see a few people have had to reset even while following a guide.

I think pretty much every 100% guide has been group - verified by this point. Having to reset typically is because (for me anyways) I misread or skipped a line or wasn't careful.

Can someone tell me how to get Qactaurs to appear in the Thunder Plains? It's the only enemy I have left to capture in that area, but none seem to appear. I'm guessing it has someting to so with those stone monuments, but I don't remember what to do with them.

Pretty much. The more stones you activate, the more Qactaurs come out. It is worth doing the activation to get Kimahri's weapon anyways.

SkylineRKR

Why should you give up after hitting a red? Seriously, I am fairly positive I hit 2 reds on the narrow course (I never dodged the upper ones that are very close to eachother anyway) and made it with half a second left. I think I got one red on the wide course (The bend before the last straight, the only difficult part). The narrow course does seem to be more lenient with time, but the wide course is easier.

Under the shelter on the left of the second part of the plains. Thats where they spawned for me.

SkylineRKR

This is much easier than the stand still method with the two bolts. Since you're actually forcing the bolt to appear there's no need to worry about timing.

I can't recommend enough not counting the bolts. Seriously. Just set yourself a timer for 5 minutes, dodge until it goes off, pause and take a break and then do it again until you get 25 minutes total. You'll have more than enough by that point to stop.

Counting makes you get anxious as you get closer to 200 and it takes your concentration away from the game.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNjKL7aZY4E

This video shows how to use that spot most effectively. I tried over and over again by dodging the two bolts and it was so much harder than running around in circles to force one bolt every time.

I tried this earlier, but the bolt never triggered this way.

Why should you give up after hitting a red? Seriously, I am fairly positive I hit 2 reds on the narrow course (I never dodged the upper ones that are very close to eachother anyway) and made it with half a second left.

It may be possible to get it while hitting the red, but the time limit is so narrow for the sigil. I find the first two sets of games to be easy enough, but 30 seconds is very strict.

HeelPower

Good job at stating why LR sucks. Here are your arguments.
- Story is awful
- Zero character depth
- IT'S bullshit

Where is the actual argumentation on why it's that way? Nowhere. Your post is as empty as you claim LR is.

As far as X-2 goes, my gripe is with is that it assassinates Yuna's character and shits all over the amazing and meaningful ending of FF X. So much worse than anything LR did in comparison. In fact I would argue against all your complaints but this is not a LR thread so whatever.

I already stated that one particular ending is terrible in FFX-2.

And yeah this isn't an LR thread and I amnot going to discuss why the story was awful.

Its my most disappointing game this entire gen and pretty much most agree that the story was absolutely terrible.

Holykael1

Banned
I already stated that one particular ending is terrible in FFX-2.

And yeah this isn't an LR thread and I amnot going to discuss why the story was awful.

Its my most disappointing game this entire gen and pretty much most agree that the story was absolutely terrible.

It's your opinion and it's fine but since when "most agree" is indicative of anything. I play a very niche genre called JRPG that "most agree" is for waifu fags and fans of "anime bullshit and nonsense".
"Most agree" that OOT is the best best game ever made and jesus christ himself, while I personally don't like it. Using "most agree" as an argument of personal preference is an insult to the actual concept of personal preference.

I'm about to enter the Thunder Plains and I have to say, I don't remember Final Fantasy X being so easy

It was always this simple.

Barring flat not leveling up some characters, the only fights which are at all likely to be lost in the story arc are Evrae, Seymour Flux, the final "real" boss, and Yunalesca.

And Yunalesca is more of a gimmick than straight up hard.

Arthea

I'm about to enter the Thunder Plains and I have to say, I don't remember Final Fantasy X being so easy

you are saying this before entering Thunder Plains? You might regret those words very soon, depends on how many battles you run from!

It was always this simple.

Barring flat not leveling up some characters, the only fights which are at all likely to be lost in the story arc are Evrae, Seymour Flux, the final "real" boss, and Yunalesca.

And Yunalesca is more of a gimmick than straight up hard.

that's so not true, so painfully not true about almost any RPG, it all depends on how you play, if you are overleveled everything is easy, of course. And Y is no gimmick!

Falk

that puzzling face
And Y is no gimmick!

Gimmick usually refers to fights which are massively hard or massively easy hinging on a few factors, usually related to knowledge and preparation, rather than the usual number-crunching or skill-related factors. Y is totally a gimmick. The gimmick is that you can't heal (without special consumables), and as a result the boss hits for much less than a typical boss. (And of course there's the much more common debuff management at play, which is confuse in this case) Gimmick is not necessarily a negative term.

For those having a hard time getting Yojimbo under 200,000, here's how to do it:

Y offer: 250,000
Counter: 125,001
Y offer: 225,000
Counter: 130,000
Y offer: 205,000
Counter: 150,000
Y offer: 191,000
Counter: 191,000

I tried this earlier, but the bolt never triggered this way.

The guy in the video doesn't explain what you need to do, properly. You're supposed to run to the tower, it's not just "a certain distance from the crater" it's running close enough to that tower to the left that resets the bolt. So you run to the tower when you first get there, then approach the crater, you don't even have to do it as fast as him but it helps build rhythm and speeds up the process.

Arthea

Gimmick usually refers to fights which are massively hard or massively easy hinging on a few factors, usually related to knowledge and preparation, rather than the usual number-crunching or skill-related factors. Y is totally a gimmick. The gimmick is that you can't heal (without special consumables), and as a result the boss hits for much less than a typical boss. (And of course there's the much more common debuff management at play, which is confuse in this case) Gimmick is not necessarily a negative term.

but that's not exaclty true about Y, it's just really hard to get confuse wards and close to impossible proofs in this game until much longer after you encounter her, and that makes this fight not only unpredictable, but painful to behold. She is no massively easy even with those wards on, I think.
Preparation or not, I'm not willing to spend hours after hours stealing from eyes, when I did it all the time during all game, and had not enough musks even for one extra ward! You see what I mean? She's supposed to be painful, and she is!

HeelPower

If you classify her as gimmicky because of zombie stat,she's not the first to use it.

Seymour uses it before her and is more aggressive with it.

but that's not exaclty true about Y, it's just really hard to get confuse wards and close to impossible proofs in this game until much longer after you encounter her, and that makes this fight not only unpredictable, but painful to behold. She is no massively easy even with those wards on, I think.
Preparation or not, I'm not willing to spend hours after hours stealing from eyes, when I did it all the time during all game, and had not enough musks even for one extra ward! You see what I mean? She's supposed to be painful, and she is!

There is also mega death and her counter attack dispelling every buff. She is really a dangerous boss.

Goli

So I don't know what to do in this game anymore.

I got this and started with X despite being way more excited to play X-2.
I'm at around 70 hours in X and I'm super bored because of how grindy it becomes if you want to actually beat the dark aeons. I used Yojimbo to kill all dark aeons save for Dark Yojimbo with who I can't get Zanmato to work. I already defeated both Ultima and Omega Weapon. I hate Blitzball so I'm not gonna bother playing it. I can't get past 50 Lightning Bolts. I also can't finish the Remiem Temple race with 5 chests. So basically I feel like I already did everything I can do but I still want to beat Penance at some point. Oh and I captured 10 of most monsters already, just missing a few from Inside Sin and the Omega Dungeon which I can't get to spawn.

It's horrible since I'd really like to do everything but it's like literally everything is locked behind extremely boring mini games or side quests, thus I'm thinking of moving on with X-2, which I'd like to 100% complete but I don't know which guide to follow, does anyone have a recommendation? From what I've seen here most people seem to still be doing X so I don't know.

Ourobolus

Banned

It's not even a matter of wards. You don't need them. If she Zombies you, don't heal everyone. That way your party won't wipe from either Mega Death or her curative spells. It's totally just a gimmick and in no way hard once you come across it the first time. She doesn't do a whole lot of damage otherwise.

EDIT: I see you're referring to Confuse - my bad. I suppose that can be a pain, but it confusing the entire party is pretty rare, in my experience. Everything else is easily manageable.

It's not even a matter of wards. You don't need them. If she Zombies you, don't heal everyone. That way your party won't wipe from either Mega Death or her curative spells. It's totally just a gimmick and in no way hard once you come across it the first time. She doesn't do a whole lot of damage otherwise.

If you're talking about Yunalesca, don't heal Zombie. Once someone is low enough to where they won't survive the next Hellbiter, kill them on purpose, then use a Phoenix Down to bring them back up. Most times, the next attack is Regen or Curaga (random target, though). If you're lucky it's a free heal on the person you just brought back to life. If not, she kills someone and you just bring them back up. Mega Death can't kill anyone who's already a Zombie, so it's almost impossible to get a Game Over from that one ability. She has no after-death ability, so once you have her at like 6000 health and a full turn of characters, she's done.

Roto13

So I don't know what to do in this game anymore.

I got this and started with X despite being way more excited to play X-2.
I'm at around 70 hours in X and I'm super bored because of how grindy it becomes if you want to actually beat the dark aeons. I used Yojimbo to kill all dark aeons save for Dark Yojimbo with who I can't get Zanmato to work. I already defeated both Ultima and Omega Weapon. I hate Blitzball so I'm not gonna bother playing it. I can't get past 50 Lightning Bolts. I also can't finish the Remiem Temple race with 5 chests. So basically I feel like I already did everything I can do but I still want to beat Penance at some point. Oh and I captured 10 of most monsters already, just missing a few from Inside Sin and the Omega Dungeon which I can't get to spawn.

It's horrible since I'd really like to do everything but it's like literally everything is locked behind extremely boring mini games or side quests, thus I'm thinking of moving on with X-2, which I'd like to 100% complete but I don't know which guide to follow, does anyone have a recommendation? From what I've seen here most people seem to still be doing X so I don't know.

What's the point of even fighting these uber bosses if you're just going to beat them the cheap way?

Ourobolus

Banned
If you're talking about Yunalesca, don't heal Zombie. Once someone is low enough to where they won't survive the next Hellbiter, kill them on purpose, then use a Phoenix Down to bring them back up. Most times, the next attack is Regen or Curaga (random target, though). If you're lucky it's a free heal on the person you just brought back to life. If not, she kills someone and you just bring them back up. Mega Death can't kill anyone who's already a Zombie, so it's almost impossible to get a Game Over from that one ability. She has no after-death ability, so once you have her at like 6000 health and a full turn of characters, she's done.

Isn't that what I basically said? Other than instead of killing a party member + reviving them, I just would rather use a remedy. Why waste a turn killing/reviving them?

Falk

that puzzling face
If you classify her as gimmicky because of zombie stat,she's not the first to use it.

Seymour uses it before her and is more aggressive with it.

There is also mega death and her counter attack dispelling every buff. She is really a dangerous boss.

Those two, along with, again, the fact that she hits for much less than other bosses, ARE the gimmick in that you're expected to have Zombie on you. Mega Death is part of the gimmick.

This is in contrast to Seymour where the Zombie debuff is much more integrated into a 'normal' boss fight, in that it's something you don't want on you.

Levyne

Banned
I was surprised at how "reliable" Zanmato is in the international release. Saw it more often than ~3 NA game completions combined (and not for lack of trying in the NA releases either. He would just never use it.)

Falk

that puzzling face
I was surprised at how "reliable" Zanmato is in the international release. Saw it more often than ~3 NA game completions combined (and not for lack of trying in the NA releases either. He would just never use it.)

Did you screw up your compatibility stat in your previous playthroughs, or answer the first question differently perchance? Those two are huge factors.

Levyne

Banned
I don't think so. I remember grinding out the all-hit normal attack because it would supposedly make him more likely to Zanmato. And eventually he would, sometimes. In this HD remaster, he used Zanmato as his first attack ever, and out of the ~7 times I summoned him, he used it something like 5 times.

I never ever saw it in the original release, but I used it a couple of times here reliably.

The thing is, the dark aeons have horrible locations that can prevent someone getting the weapons they need to even fight them. I didn't feel bad at all Zanmoto'ing dark bahamut and dark valefor.

you are saying this before entering Thunder Plains? You might regret those words very soon, depends on how many battles you run from!

that's so not true, so painfully not true about almost any RPG, it all depends on how you play, if you are overleveled everything is easy, of course. And Y is no gimmick!

I think you fall in to the exact opposite category from what you stated: If you are underleveled everything is hard.

But you have to try to be underleveled in the majority of FFX. And Fleeing is certainly a way to go about it, since you refer to "how many battles you run from".

A person playing FFX without fleeing will have little challenge from most bosses. And playing without fleeing a lot is hardly what I would refer to as "overleveled".

ZeroX03

Banned
I never ever saw it in the original release, but I used it a couple of times here reliably.

The thing is, the dark aeons have horrible locations that can prevent someone getting the weapons they need to even fight them. I didn't feel bad at all Zanmoto'ing dark bahamut and dark valefor.

Dark Aeons don't block World Champion, that's the big one.

pariah164

For those having a hard time getting Yojimbo under 200,000, here's how to do it:

Y offer: 250,000
Counter: 125,001
Y offer: 225,000
Counter: 130,000
Y offer: 205,000
Counter: 150,000
Y offer: 191,000
Counter: 191,000
This doesn't always work, but yes, that's the gist of it. I usually got the 205,000 offer, would offer 150,000 and he'd give me the 'no deal' speech and boot me out of the fayth room.

DPtheGod

Catcher chocobo can fuck right off! My best is 3.9 seconds! One round I got hit by four consecutive birds, unable to even move ....

I don't remember this being this hard when I was younger.

Top Bottom