• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

Saphirax

You know, it's just something I always wondered.

So Auron basically
traveled to Dream Zanarkand after dying basically by riding Sin.

In some of the flashbacks you see Auron with Tidus as a child, so obviously this occurs not very long after
Jecht becomes Sin, but when Jechit isn't large enough to terrorize Spira

In almost every flashback with Jecht and Tidus, just shows how much a crappy father Jecht was. So with Auron fulfilling is obligation to watch over Tidus from his promise to Jecht, for 10 years no less.

This means not only Auron spent more time with Tidus then Jecht did, but was more or less a far better guardian (I mean this in the parental sense), then Jecht ever was.

It makes you wonder why Tidus isn't more influenced by Auron rather basically becoming Jecht junior. I mean this in the sense of becoming like someone you resent / hate.

Tidus spent years being emotionally abused by Jecht. In the end it's not that he wanted to become like his father, it's that he didn't want to be the person he perceived Jecht thought him to be.

Also, Auron is far too reserved as a person to become a father figure to Tidus.
In retrospect, while both Auron and Jecht had the right ideas they didn't execute them well at all.

Rojo

I'm grinding Don Tonberry for AP. I've got OD->AP and the past two fights I haven't gotten any AP at all after the battle. I'm running away because I'm too weak to kill Don, if that helps. But the first time I fought him with the AP trick I got few sphere levels and now I don't. What gives?

Do your characters have the right gear equipped od->ap double/tripple AP do you have the right overdive settings ie sacrificial lamb on stotic and buddies on comrade. Are they alive when you flee?

Saphirax

No triple OD or triple AP because I'm too fucking lazy to grind Omega to get string enough to kill One Eye so fuck that. I changed all their OD modes to comrade and got 20 s levels in one bsttle.

I found it far easier to grind Inside Sin. While it sounds more appealing to get 20-30 ap per battle it's not really efficient in the long run. Not only are you not getting any gil/items/fiends you'll also need to farm extra materials later on if you want to get 99 sphere levels per fight.

Unless the reason you're doing so is just so you can finish the main story easier.

Arthea

Tidus spent years being emotionally abused by Jecht. In the end it's not that he wanted to become like his father, it's that he didn't want to be the person he perceived Jecht thought him to be.

Also, Auron is far too reserved as a person to become a father figure to Tidus.
In retrospect, while both Auron and Jecht had the right ideas they didn't execute them well at all.

I have to agree with you, Auron hardly seems father material. Tidus seems more annoyed by him than fond in every sequence they are together at the beginning. Jecht isn't that bad either, he just wants his son to be tough and acts accordingly, however bad it seems, it's not for lack of good intentions.

CarJeter

Neo Member
Do you still get AP from Mug even if the enemy is immune to physical attacks? Encountered a regular Aeshma after dropping in one of the fayth holes. Been trying to constantly hit him and see if someone learns an ability lol

Son Of D

Do you still get AP from Mug even if the enemy is immune to physical attacks? Encountered a regular Aeshma after dropping in one of the fayth holes. Been trying to constantly hit him and see if someone learns an ability lol
Do you get an item from the fiend? If so then you should get AP.

Question of my own, for the bestiary trophy in X-2 do you need to fill the creature creator bestiary by completing fiend tales or the general bestiary that involves fighting every single enemy?

Saphirax

Do you get an item from the fiend? If so then you should get AP.

Question of my own, for the bestiary trophy in X-2 do you need to fill the creature creator bestiary by completing fiend tales or the general bestiary that involves fighting every single enemy?

General bestiary.

Went to the Besaid cloister of trials (after getting the airship) and there was a cutscene with the Besaid temple fayth and a couple of treasure chests. Is this the case for the other temples as well? Was this in the original version or added for international?

Flandy

Went to the Besaid cloister of trials (after getting the airship) and there was a cutscene with the Besaid temple fayth and a couple of treasure chests. Is this the case for the other temples as well? Was this in the original version or added for international?

I vaguely remember getting some sort of Treasure under the Lake Macalania temple where the fayth was. I had the NA version

Arthea

You can get something from almost all temples by revisiting, yes, I believe it was the same in original, not sure about US version though, never played that.

Falk

that puzzling face
Chapter 4 o lawd.

Oh well, at least it's mildly more interesting than Chapter 5/6 of Bravely Default lol

It was in the original version too. You get like 2 stat spheres per temple.

Who are you aiming for?
There are two people you can get and still get good items:
Rin or Rikku
You can not guess
Prophet
due to it ruining the %. It was probably
Chocobo Eater
, but that ending is boring.

Anyways, I found out why I missed a %: you are suppose to talk to the Youth League TWICE in Chapter 1.

i just realized i played through most of X without doing anything with gear, customization, overdrives, or using aeons and am still OP. I don't remember it being quite that easy!
It is more based around strategy than leveling up. Also, if you want easy, look at FFX-2 in which you can win my mashing X.
Edit: Before the flame, I mean the main game.

Robin64

Been playing X a little each night. Slowly but surely. A couple of thoughts:

Firstly, this is just as linear as XIII, so far. Most maps have been corridors just as in XIII and I'm being shunted from location to location. Not that's a problem, I just find it amusing that people complained so much about XIII. I guess it opens up more soon, though.

The voice acting is pretty bad and the pauses between different characters saying things is sometimes far too long. I know, early days of videogame VA, but still pretty funny. It's not lessening my enjoyment of the game at all, mind.

I like the combat. I love seeing who is having their turn next and being able to attack a specific enemy to negate his turn (either by killing him or other means). And because of the turn-based nature, I can be pretty relaxed with the whole experience. X-2 drops this, right? Not sure how I'll like that.

The whole game looks quite lovely, considering it's "just" an HD PS2 game. Yuna's face looks a little weird, though. Hard to put my finger on, but it feels like it's the wrong shape.

Ourobolus

Banned
Took a break from working on the Jupiter Sigil to grind out a bit at the arena. After crafting a couple Auto-Haste/Auto-Phoenix/Auto-Protect/??? (no idea what I should put in there right now. Ribbon? Auto-Potion?) armors, I went around killing One-Eye Left and right gathering Triple AP weapons (still need Auron's and Rikku's...urgh).

Then to Don Tonberry. Tidus hits like a truck now. Had to fight Kottos a couple times to get some spheres though.

Tiamant

I like the combat. I love seeing who is having their turn next and being able to attack a specific enemy to negate his turn (either by killing him or other means). And because of the turn-based nature, I can be pretty relaxed with the whole experience. X-2 drops this, right? Not sure how I'll like that.

In X-2 you can stop an enemy while he is attacking if you time it right, same with enemies casting magic attacks. Also you gain +9999 badassery points if you stop them with a gunner, feels sooooo good!

Firstly, this is just as linear as XIII, so far.

The voice acting is pretty bad and the pauses between different characters saying things is sometimes far too long.

The whole game looks quite lovely, considering it's "just" an HD PS2 game. Yuna's face looks a little weird, though. Hard to put my finger on, but it feels like it's the wrong shape.

• The difference is presentation, FFX was a pilgrammage which is why it was linear. The maps are designed to go with this. FFXIII on the other hand have zero reason to do so and have flying hexagons blocking the path. The maps lie!
  • Agreed, the VA is terrible
  • I like the combat better in X as well. In X-2, you can clobber magic enemies to death. The monsters adjust due to the fact you can ignore certain dresses. Samurai and Alchemist break any challenge.
  • The environments look great, but the character models suck. Other HD collections have done it better.

genbatzu

Firstly, this is just as linear as XIII, so far. Most maps have been corridors just as in XIII and I'm being shunted from location to location. Not that's a problem, I just find it amusing that people complained so much about XIII. I guess it opens up more soon, though.

not really a spoiler, since it contains nothing from the story, but just the be sure, spoiler tags:
it's linear till the end, you can backtrack to other regions, but there are no benefits. it opens up right before the final boss fight(s)
but I still love FFX, have played it 3x on PS2 (2x including penance) and now going for the plat on psvita

DarkMehm

Something weird has happened in my FFX save. I have both the venus sigil and crest, but they don't show up on the key item list. I shouldn't have the mars sigil, but it does show up. I hope it is just a listing error and everything is fine regardless.

CarJeter

Neo Member
White Mage + Ragnarok >>> Alchemist imo. 2000HP is fine and all but the loading time is too long while WM can Protect, Heal and Auto-Life you at the same time. I dont know about stats but so far my White Mage is pretty decent.

ramyeon

• The difference is presentation, FFX was a pilgrammage which is why it was linear. The maps are designed to go with this. FFXIII on the other hand have zero reason to do so and have flying hexagons blocking the path. The maps lie!

• This is absolutely true, and I never quite appreciated it until I played FFX-2 for the first time a few days ago. Yuna comments at the start of FFX-2 how it feels so different to be able to go anywhere she wants at any time unlike when she was on her pilgrimage and it feels like FFX was almost designed that way on purpose (Or the story was written around it) since the pilgrimage is so strict and controlled by Yevon. Regardless, FFX-2's complete non linearity is a nice juxtaposition of this.

Christhor

Finally listened to the bonus audio on this thing. I thought it was surprisingly good, all things considering. It's at least a lot better and more interesting than X-2 when it comes to story, just from this short audio thing.

I wouldn't mind an X-3 that was based off of this.

Holykael1

Banned
This is absolutely true, and I never quite appreciated it until I played FFX-2 for the first time a few days ago. Yuna comments at the start of FFX-2 how it feels so different to be able to go anywhere she wants at any time unlike when she was on her pilgrimage and it feels like FFX was almost designed that way on purpose (Or the story was written around it) since the pilgrimage is so strict and controlled by Yevon. Regardless, FFX-2's complete non linearity is a nice juxtaposition of this.

Don't forget that in FF XIII they are government fugitives trying to reach their destination, the linearity is also justifiable from a story perspective.
Though I agree, FF X even with corridors feels much less linear than XIII because of the towns and side activities.

Levyne

Banned
I have a busy day slated, but hopefully I can come home and beat the Infinico boss and wrap up any non-Last Mission trophies
3AQmK.gif

ramyeon

Don't forget that in FF XIII they are government fugitives trying to reach their destination, the linearity is also justifiable from a story perspective.
Though I agree, FF X even with corridors feels much less linear than XIII because of the towns and side activities.
Oh I've never played XIII. I just mean it thematically makes sense for X and X-2 does a good job of juxtaposing that. Something I wouldn't have been able to appreciate when I was younger I think.

The voice acting is pretty bad and the pauses between different characters saying things is sometimes far too long. I know, early days of videogame VA, but still pretty funny. It's not lessening my enjoyment of the game at all, mind.

I guess as a teen I was never too bothered with how linear it was. It helps that X just puts this to the player a lot nicely. It's almost deceptive, in that you still feel like you're seeing a world (you are, since you go from location to location). XIII's restrictive story didn't lend well to a game at all, personally.

Back on PS2 I was amazed at the VA. Loved it. Now I'm cringing at almost anything that comes out of Tidus and Yuna's mouths. Wakka, though. Man, his VA just sounds even better than I remember. Auron is great, too. Quinton Flynn's parts sounds really, really weird! That guy has improved for sure.

DPtheGod

Gaf,
I got the 0:0.0 for Catcher Chocobo then went to get the Caladbolg but forgot you need the Celestial Mirror. So, I went to get that and when I went back, that dude was blocking the path to the sword! How do you get him to leave if you already got the best score on catcher?

ramyeon

Gaf,
I got the 0:0.0 for Catcher Chocobo then went to get the Caladbolg but forgot you need the Celestial Mirror. So, I went to get that and when I went back, that dude was blocking the path to the sword! How do you get him to leave if you already got the best score on catcher?
Just beat the race again with any time better than the trainer.

Arthea

IMHO FF13 problems have nothing to do with linearity, linearity itself can't be problem in story driven games, very often such games require restrictions of moving around, story related ones. FF13 has problems of being corridor simulator for better part of them game, while in FFX world, lore and events are essential, nothing matters in FF13, also it has even less sidequests than FF12, except hunting ones. FFX sidequests doesn't shine either for the most part, but at least it has some, except killing stuff, also vivid and alive world which makes sense and doesn't feel like corridor at all, even if it is linear.

New Yuna's face does look odd, slightly lifeless from some angles.

Got Perfect Sphere Master out of the way last night. Shit was painful, but I watched Giant Bomb's Chrono Trigger Endurance run and made it tolerable.

Just need to beat Nemesis, Penance, and DAs and I'm set for plat.

Arthea

I still haven't gotten 0.0 in chocobo catcher, I'm somehow even worse at it the more I try, not to mention my ridiculous luck, one time when I had good chance, first free balloons were on my side, a trainer got hit by birdies after the turn, I had almost no balloons near the end of where usually are a lot of them, there were 4 total and only 2 accessible at that time. It's not like I'm not trying, simply it never even gave me a chance, in 3 hours *shivers*
I can't express how much I hate a person who made this minigame.

Exact same thing happened to me this weekend. :(

And today again I lost half an hour worth of play too. Went the wrong way towards Auron's celestial weapon location and
got fucked by Dark Magus Sisters who wiped me with an overdrive for multiple 99,999's of damage.

That happened to me as well, lol. Thankfully, there was a save point right before that part (in the Mi'ihen Highroad), so I didn't lose a ton of time. What kind of annoys me about that encounter is you can't run from it as far as I could tell. I made it all the way to the end, but all the lifts were broken and I couldn't get to the next save point to get on the Airship. And you can't even "Flee" from that Dark Aeon battle like you could some of the others.

DPtheGod

Just beat the race again with any time better than the trainer.

Sweet! Got it, thanks! :D

Now that Yuna
is a traitor of Yevon, can I backtrack to Besaid to get the Destruction Sphere or will I be denied access to the temple? Don't want to waste all that time without doing it if I don't need to

Sweet! Got it, thanks! :D

Now that Yuna
is a traitor of Yevon, can I backtrack to Besaid to get the Destruction Sphere or will I be denied access to the temple? Don't want to waste all that time without doing it if I don't need to
You can go back, but you'll have to beat Dark Valefor as he/she'll be blocking the way.

Top Bottom