• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War 3 Has Gone Gold - Lots of Reviews Out Already

neos

Yoboman said:
I dunno how I'll avoid this, the gifs are bound to be everywhere
I really think there is need of a media free, ban worthy spoilers thread of gow3 until the release date.
A safe place where to stay.

Otherwise, may olympus help us to avoid the media spoiler rain.

reKon

Banned
neos said:
I really think there is need of a media free, ban worthy spoilers thread of gow3 until the release date.
A safe place where to stay.

Otherwise, may olympus help us to avoid the media spoiler rain.

Agreed, I really need this game fresh

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
spats said:
Really? I hope it's actually a new build this time. -.-

The demo isn't new, it's simply the E3 demo gone public. I believe SSM have said there won't be another demo.

tzare

new pics i think never posted before

260ac11.jpg

noc0mw.jpg

t68bah.jpg

30ac0f9.jpg

33mr28g.jpg

BeeDog said:
Holy shit, Ruliweb has a HD gameplay video of GoW3 up, it seems. 0,0 kbps though. :(
Oh my god I want to seeeee iiiiiiiiiit! Would be totally happy to see that and then not watch GTTV for fear of spoilers.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
BeeDog said:
Holy shit, Ruliweb has a HD gameplay video of GoW3 up, it seems. 0,0 kbps though. :(

download it through JDownloader. Getting 1.1MB/s.

edit: video is just the trailer (and full of macroblocks)

If that pic is 1440p then that's probably what the other ruliweb pictures were taken at, unfortunately... dunno why they're 1280x713 though.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
BeeDog said:
Argh!

Could someone re-host the full-res Ruliweb pics? My browser barely loads 10% of the full-size pics before calling it a day, and F5'ing doesn't help.

http://www.allgamesbeta.info/2010/02/blog-post_8232.html has them all and they load quite a bit faster for me.

So would these pics qualify as bullshots? The hud elements and blade trails are obviously undoctored, but the screens are clearly rendered at higher than native resolution.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
What the hell.. those ruliweb pictures look like direct gameplay framebufer captures. How can there be such ridiculous antialiasing on them? It's like they use 16xAA or something on non-transparent edges, just look on that picture that has the water and spiky tentacle monster.

That's just stupidly amazing if they really pulled off AA like that.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Those images are shrunk from some ridiculous high resolution. I'm sure the AA really does look great, but these screens aren't representative of the real product.

mr_nothin

Banned
bizatch said:
those new shots are meh tbh... game definitely looks better in motion
Yea, I feel the same.
It seems like it'll have that Uncharted 2 syndrome. Actually some of the texture work reminds me of the same effect the textures had in some UC2 screens. Cant wait to see it in person!

Oh my god I just saw the scans from the Consoles+ review. (They awarded it a 19/20, it's a French mag). Lot of old images, but some new ones and I loooove the look of some of the environments.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
hey_it's_that_dog said:
Those images are shrunk from some ridiculous high resolution. I'm sure the AA really does look great, but these screens aren't representative of the real product.
I was thinking that too ,but If they did that, there would be AA on transparencies as well. But there isn't any. The text wouldn't look so sharp and jaggedy as well, if they just scaled them down from some high res pictures.

*Edit* upon further inspection, this screens are almost 100% sure genuine footage that the console outputs. There are individual pixels on them that look razor sharp - that would never happen if the images were just scaled down from some high resolution. But that brings question what kind of voodoo they have there for this kind of stupid amount of AA? Could it be some MLAA implementation? Seeing that it doesn't seem to resolve sub-pixel lines and pixels, it may well be.

mr_nothin said:
It seems like it'll have that Uncharted 2 syndrome.
What syndrome? UC2 had some of the most ridiculously amazing looking screens... If they really have this kind of AA here, this is amazing as well.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Well, the HUD stuff is 2D, so when rendered at 1440p or whatever those shots are, they don't look better, and in fact become more pixelated, because they are blown up bitmaps or whatever. The 3D graphics on the other hand are rendered natively and have pristine edges as a result.

I barely know what I'm talking about, but it seems like the same results you'd get from PS2 emulator, for example, if you made the native res huge but told it not to do any filtering on the 2D elements.

And as an aside, here's a little spoiler from those new scans about (a weapon we should already know about)
the Blade of Olympus
:
If I'm translating correctly, it sounds like the Blade of Olympus is now tied to the Rage of Sparta meter, meaning it's only usable in Rage mode.

They also talk about adding replayability via collecting relics that have various effects during subsequent playthroughs, which may be the same thing as the Urns in GOW2, or might be a more complex system. Couldn't tell from the translation. I hope it's more like skulls in Halo 3.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
No, the screens are 1280x714, and they don't really seem scaled down at all.

I know what you mean, but that just doesn't seem to be the case here. Maybe the images are just specially rendered by devs to be like that, and whatever they do to prepare them like that, cannot put any AA on transparencies.

mr_nothin

Banned
Lord Error said:
What syndrome? UC2 had some of the most ridiculously amazing looking screens... If they really have this kind of AA here, this is amazing as well.

This effect:
Not the best picture to show it off but this is the jist of it. See how some of the textures are like overly sharp to the point of pixelation/aliasing? Mostly notable on the brick wall and the rubble in the back.
j16pi1.jpg

noc0mw.jpg

Lord Error said:
I know what you mean, but that just doesn't seem to be the case here. Maybe the images are just specially rendered by devs to be like that, and whatever they do to prepare them like that, cannot put any AA on transparencies.
It's that more than likely but when talking about the textures.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Lord Error said:
No, the screens are 1280x714, and they don't really seem scaled down at all.

When I opened one in Photoshop it was 2560x1440. Maybe we're not talking about the same thing here...

Anyway, they're probably intended for use in print and not necessarily to deceive us.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
And as an aside, here's a little spoiler from those new scans about (a weapon we should already know about)
the Blade of Olympus
:
If I'm translating correctly, it sounds like the Blade of Olympus is now tied to the Rage of Sparta meter, meaning it's only usable in Rage mode.
If that's true, then that's smart; not only was it overpowered in God of War 2, it's also a good way to make Rage play very differently. Here's hoping that it gets a better moveset so it's as much fun to play with as the Blades of Athena.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
badcrumble said:
If that's true, then that's smart; not only was it overpowered in God of War 2, it's also a good way to make Rage play very differently. Here's hoping that it gets a better moveset so it's as much fun to play with as the Blades of Athena.

I'm all for an overhaul of the rage system. I found it particularly useless in GOW2 on Titan mode. Maybe I was using it wrong, but as it doesn't do much to increase your defense (if at all) it's like asking for death in certain situations.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I'm all for an overhaul of the rage system. I found it particularly useless in GOW2 on Titan mode. Maybe I was using it wrong, but as it doesn't do much to increase your defense (if at all) it's like asking for death in certain situations.
Yeah, if it's going to lock you into certain combos for any time whatsoever, it ought to either make you invulnerable or have massive stunning power against enemies. Sounds like they'll be opting for the latter in GoW3.

Top Bottom