• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War 3 Has Gone Gold - Lots of Reviews Out Already

Edit: well, this is the GoW thread, the time will come. :/

When does the embargo lift for us reviewers?

Sorry, I know this question has been a million times.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
HomerSimpson-Man said:
There has to be some crazy ass one-up-manship going on at Sony. They release eyegasms starting with Killzone 2, then followed by Uncharted 2, and now soon God of War 3, all within around a years time all trying to up visual ante. What are they feeding these guys?!

The first PS3 game that actually bested what the 360 had to offer at the time was Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, so I'd say the Sony first-party "rivalry" began there.

Jb

black_vegeta said:

Next monday.

SamBishop

Banned
black_vegeta said:

Probably hasn't been answered yet because we still don't know (or at the very least I haven't been told, and I'm not saying sheeeeit until then). Worst-case scenario, the day of the release. Best-case.... soon? There are a lot of outlets that'll have to wait for their retail code.

KratosKilla said:
Does it have a teaser for another God of War PSP game in it??

It has trailers for six new God of War PSP games! What are the odds, right?

...Naw, I think God of War is probably done for a little while. As well it should be. The story as it stands now has been told. Time to let things rest for a bit and build up a new ridiculously over-the-top franchise. Or maybe the definitive gardening simulation. SMS' new project is dethroning Farmville -- you heard it here first!

mr_nothin said:
:lol I was JUST thinking that. The guy has some credibility but ppl just like to say he's BS all the time and when he's right...they refuse to eat the crow.

A camera and a personality will take you far in this industry right now. That said, he's a genuinely nice guy that takes the time to get to know the material he's covering -- even if he seems to glean most of it from forums. The ability to actually interact with a PR team without imploding is one of the cornerstones of building up any outlet, and he's doing his thing. I used to roll my eyes (and I still kinda do at the belt, but I'm the whitest of white boys), but he honestly loves games and it shows. Dude gets my full respect for not just being a caricature; he's a guy who's into hip-hop and loves games. He is what he says, y'know?

Dogenzaka

Banned
The fact that they recorded each voice for God of War individually in individual recording rooms upsets me, considering I thought Sony was sort of over with that after Uncharted 2...

But on the other hand, I don't even notice the game needing it considering how incredible the voice acting is, so the director must really know how to pull the voices together.

Did GoW3 use motion-capture like Uncharted 2? I'd assume not, considering people as agile as Kratos with giant blades don't really exist....

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
The dialogue in GOW games isn't exactly casual, witty banter. I doubt being in the same room would change things all that much.

I think GOW3 uses a combination of motion capture and hand-animation for cutscenes. (I might have seen this on a developer's blog...) Combat animation is probably all by hand.

SamBishop

Banned
Dogenzaka said:
The fact that they recorded each voice for God of War individually in individual recording rooms upsets me, considering I thought Sony was sort of over with that after Uncharted 2...

But on the other hand, I don't even notice the game needing it considering how incredible the voice acting is, so the director must really know how to pull the voices together.

Did GoW3 use motion-capture like Uncharted 2? I'd assume not, considering people as agile as Kratos with giant blades don't really exist....

Keyframing is a mighty powerful tool, but you can always feed in data from mocap sessions and tweak it; that's the beauty of the whole process. I'm pretty sure there was a bit of that in GOW2, but as for the voice acting stuff, that was handled by Kris Zimmerman (y'know, the person responsible for all them Metal Gear Solids?). They'd be stupid not to use her again and she's quite adept at getting the right kinds of dialogue from a voice actor.

scoobs said:
holy craptits, just saw poseidon off-screen picture. Holy craptits.

And there's still a ton of the game you haven't seen yet that, I daresay, might even look better! Sometimes a game is deserving of hype. Sometimes... It's okay to get excited.

DexterXS

Dogenzaka said:

You'd be correct. For GOW3 they used all hand animation. It's pretty spectacular when you think about it. Man we are so in for a treat with this game. I am extremely happy to be a gamer right now and a gamer in general. Looking at GOW3 makes me so nostalgic(sp) of all the great games this gen we have gotten to play: MGS4, Uncharted 1, Uncharted 2, Killzone,and now we are getting the beast known as God of War 3. I'm so happy.

Dogenzaka

Banned
SamBishop said:
Keyframing is a mighty powerful tool, but you can always feed in data from mocap sessions and tweak it; that's the beauty of the whole process. I'm pretty sure there was a bit of that in GOW2, but as for the voice acting stuff, that was handled by Kris Zimmerman (y'know, the person responsible for all them Metal Gear Solids?). They'd be stupid not to use her again and she's quite adept at getting the right kinds of dialogue from a voice actor.

They use her? Wow I didn't know that. Thanks for the info :)

It's crazy how she can get isolated dialogue like that to sound so natural and cohesive with other characters.

EDIT: lol @ hiphopgamer going to Andy:

"Wait, so you're telling me you're the guy who designed Poseidon?"

"Yes"

"Hold the camera for me"

*gives Andy a hug*

LOL.

Animator

SamBishop said:
Keyframing is a mighty powerful tool, but you can always feed in data from mocap sessions and tweak it;

Not really. For ingame moves like kratos's its %100 better to keyframe. It is more work to tweak the mocap into something usable than to go in and do it by hand.

They probably used mocap for cutscene dialogue acting parts but I would be honestly shocked if any of the ingame anims have any mocap on them.

Dogenzaka

Banned
I'm not sure if this was what everyone was talking about earlier, but on that hiphopgamershow video in the details, it says

"1. STIG - God Of War 3 Director Guest Stars On The HHGS
2. Exclusive: Behind The Scenes GOW 3 Creation
3. Game Review - Dante's Inferno 9 out of 10 great game
4. Incognito Special Game Coming To E3'10 Also, Special Appearences From Keri Hilson, Manny Fresh, John Legend, Brad Shoemaker, Crispin Voice Of Helios And More "

So yeah, I guess it's Starhawk :p

Sorry that that's so unrelated.

Anyway, does anyone have part 2 of the video? I wanted to see the rest of the interview.

Rugasuki

black_vegeta said:

March 8th 12pm EST is when the embargo lifts for reviewers who received the non-final debug code. The production disks weren't ready for the event last Wednesday. All the PS3's running GOWIII were debug units and they gave out the same disks for media to review.

RavenFox

Banned
Dogenzaka said:
I'm not sure if this was what everyone was talking about earlier, but on that hiphopgamershow video in the details, it says

"1. STIG - God Of War 3 Director Guest Stars On The HHGS
2. Exclusive: Behind The Scenes GOW 3 Creation
3. Game Review - Dante's Inferno 9 out of 10 great game
4. Incognito Special Game Coming To E3'10 Also, Special Appearences From Keri Hilson, Manny Fresh, John Legend, Brad Shoemaker, Crispin Voice Of Helios And More "

So yeah, I guess it's Starhawk :p

Sorry that that's so unrelated.

Anyway, does anyone have part 2 of the video? I wanted to see the rest of the interview.
The vid was heavily edited.

Rugasuki

Animator said:
Not really. For ingame moves like kratos's its %100 better to keyframe. It is more work to tweak the mocap into something usable than to go in and do it by hand.

They probably used mocap for cutscene dialogue acting parts but I would be honestly shocked if any of the ingame anims have any mocap on them.

All of Kratos is hand animated. They said his facial expressions and movements are too over the top and theatrical to make it work well with mo-cap. Mo-cap was used for minor background stuff in the game but otherwise its all hand animated.

DexterXS said:
You'd be correct. For GOW3 they used all hand animation. It's pretty spectacular when you think about it. Man we are so in for a treat with this game. I am extremely happy to be a gamer right now and a gamer in general. Looking at GOW3 makes me so nostalgic(sp) of all the great games this gen we have gotten to play: MGS4, Uncharted 1, Uncharted 2, Killzone,and now we are getting the beast known as God of War 3. I'm so happy.

Our animators are awesome for sure. They make our job that much easier. =)

Dogenzaka said:
]Also, Special Appearences From Keri Hilson, Manny Fresh, John Legend, Brad Shoemaker...
I fucking love that Brad Shoemaker is on this list.

Also, I'm now fairly certain I met HipHopGamer in a Penn Station bathroom two or three years ago. Some dude with the exact same belt was trying to get me to spin the wheel as I was washing my hands. Are those belts in wide release?

mr_nothin

Banned
SamBishop said:
A camera and a personality will take you far in this industry right now. That said, he's a genuinely nice guy that takes the time to get to know the material he's covering -- even if he seems to glean most of it from forums. The ability to actually interact with a PR team without imploding is one of the cornerstones of building up any outlet, and he's doing his thing. I used to roll my eyes (and I still kinda do at the belt, but I'm the whitest of white boys), but he honestly loves games and it shows. Dude gets my full respect for not just being a caricature; he's a guy who's into hip-hop and loves games. He is what he says, y'know?
Agreed...

Pistolero

Dogenzaka said:
They use her? Wow I didn't know that. Thanks for the info :)

It's crazy how she can get isolated dialogue like that to sound so natural and cohesive with other characters.

EDIT: lol @ hiphopgamer going to Andy:

"Wait, so you're telling me you're the guy who designed Poseidon?"

"Yes"

"Hold the camera for me"

*gives Andy a hug*

LOL.

That was the best part ! I would have kissed him ! :lol

Kazz1896

Neo Member
Jay-B said:
Stig.jpg

Stig in GoW3? GOTG confirmed.

HA HA I was thinking the same!:lol

nib95

Banned
He mentioned something about Incognito showing off their new game soon (in the GOW3 Stig DLC vid), and that it was really impressive. I wonder if that's the secret game that was mentioned a few days back.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
so hot for this.

after having only played the demo and seen that one trailer, I'm proud of myself for not letting anything else be spoilt.

Top Bottom