• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War 3 Has Gone Gold - Lots of Reviews Out Already

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Two weeks left...I'm not gonna make it...

twoweeks.gif

Torrod said:
For those who care what is said in the video:

About 10 Hours of Gameplay
imprecise controls
impressive quick time events
no cgi, everithing in-game.
best visuals ever seen on the playstation 3
Lots of new weapons with magic-features
challenging puzzles
Technical issues and boring parts :)lol )
Hell looks more interesting in Dantes Inferno (they actually compare one level against a whole game)

Bossfights later in the game
race against hermes with moving grounds

hmmm, what do they mean by imprecise control? I thought GoW games always have tight control, even the psp GowCoO have tight control. the demo is also great imo. do they mean some moves that aren't cancel-able like the L1+[] moves?

gcubed

i'm torn too, i want to just veg out in front of the TV and play it for 10 hours continuously, but the wife will complain. GoW is one of the handful of games she likes to "watch" (uncharted the other one)...

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Callibretto said:
hmmm, what do they mean by imprecise control? I thought GoW games always have tight control, even the psp GowCoO have tight control. the demo is also great imo. do they mean some moves that aren't cancel-able like the L1+[] moves?
From the written review

Cons:
Weak textures
bumpy Frame rate
imprecise controls while climbing

whatever that means. If I had to guess, maybe the camera positioning makes navigating a little iffy in some spots *shrug*

Catalix said:
From the written review

Cons:
Weak textures
bumpy Frame rate
imprecise controls while climbing

whatever that means. If I had to guess, maybe the camera positioning makes navigating a little iffy in some spots *shrug*

well I can see that a little bit I guess, even in GoW2 there's a little bit difficulty when the camera is positioned in weird angle. but that's such a nitpicky comment to make it in the summary, unless you're climbing for like 80% of the game than I can see it as a cons.

DodgerSan

I only ever played GOW 1, and had a kind of love/hate relationship with it. Some parts were amazing and others were frustrating as buggery for no good reason.

Is 2 better? Does it pull the same trick of making you go backwards and forwards for 2 hours solving 'puzzles'?

I ask because if I were to play 3, I'd want to go through 2 first.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
DodgerSan said:
I only ever played GOW 1, and had a kind of love/hate relationship with it. Some parts were amazing and others were frustrating as buggery for no good reason.

Is 2 better? Does it pull the same trick of making you go backwards and forwards for 2 hours solving 'puzzles'?

You should probably play GOW2. I'd need to know more specifically about what bothered you in GOW1 to answer in more detail, but GOW2 is an improvement on basically all fronts (save for the story, which people are more divided on).

DodgerSan said:

I assume you don't like that the majority of the game took place on pandora temple basically solving giant puzzle?

well, good for you, GoW2 have much more varied location, not too much backtracking. but you do still solving puzzles here and there. it's part of the gow formula, and many people love the puzzles. it give the game more adventure exploration feel and not just a bunch of arena fight.

geoffmk

Geoff Keighley
I told you guys -- there is a TON of stuff we didn't even begin to touch on in the GTTV episode. Lots of story surprises, huge boss battles, characters, etc. But yeah, it looks like a lot if beginning to leak out now. So it may be media blackout time for many of you!

beast786

geoffmk said:
I told you guys -- there is a TON of stuff we didn't even begin to touch on in the GTTV episode. Lots of story surprises, huge boss battles, characters, etc. But yeah, it looks like a lot if beginning to leak out now. So it may be media blackout time for many of you!

One last question?

Does it go down-hill after the first boss fight. Or there are things bigger and better?

I watched that 8 minute gamepro HD video of Kratos battling the horse crab boss. Words fail to describe the amount of awesome in that video. Seriously all my fan wank aside, how is this even POSSIBLE?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
geoffmk said:
Gah, I guess it's blackout time for me. ;_;

bumpkin

Second said:
I stopped watching after 30 second or so. Somehow I stopped myself from watching it any further.. It was hard, but I did it.
I was going to watch the entire thing, but basically only skipped around to find the part with the first-person Kratos beating; my interest was piqued after seeing the tiny bit of it in the GTTV episode. After watching that, I immediately closed out the window and am not looking back. I want to fill the cup when I get my hands on this game in two weeks. :D

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The weak textures seems like a strange thing to bring up as a negative. Everything we've seen barring close-ups of the enemies are razor-sharp. Yes, as the enemies increase in number on the screen they're going to be less detailed, but at the distance you're seeing them you're not going to notice they have 400 less polygons or whatever. Not to mention every game - even Texturezilla 2 - has to make compromises with textures. The trick is making it as unnoticeable as possible.

It seems the reviewer was nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking.

ShinAmano

For some reason I thought this came out on the 9th...so happy to hear it is out on the 16th as I will be back in town and ready to play! :D

Dante's Inferno's hell is better than God of War 3's Hades. There you have it folks, the pinnacle of gaming journalism. Unless the reviewer was jesting.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
beast786 said:
One last question?

Does it go down-hill after the first boss fight. Or there are things bigger and better?
Does this answer your question? :D

SamBishop said:
Also, yes, just to reassure everyone, the first half hour or so of the game pales in comparison to the next. It's a perfect set-up for the pacing and tone of things, but you honestly haven't seen anything yet. I was violently ill this weekend (I'm still pretty sick, honestly), but I couldn't stop playing the game until I was done. I'll have to go back through it again when I'm not goofed up on cold medicine and a fever, but... yeah, you guys haven't seen anything yet.

Animator

RustyNails said:
Dante's Inferno's hell is better than God of War 3's Hades. There you have it folks, the pinnacle of gaming journalism. Unless the reviewer was jesting.

Yea thats the biggest joke. The hades fight in gow 3 alone is better than the entirety of dantes inferno.

GOW 2 climbing sequences was the worst aspect, I can see them still being an issue if they weren't tweaked. The controls were annoying since they moved with the camera.

Haunted

Dante's Inferno's anything being better than GoW III is ludicrous.

theignoramus said:
German is such a scary sounding language.:lol
I'm gunna play GOW3 with German dialogue, everything will sound so much more sinister.
But we're such nice guys. :(

Jtones

Banned
I wonder if the graphics we saw in the downloadable demo are going to be even better in the full game? I know that the framerate issues are as good as gone, so I wonder if the game we see in the demo can represent the full game. (Since it's an E3 build)

Animator

zoukka said:
I'm guessing you haven't played either.

I have played and finished dantes inferno. It is a shitty game from beginning to end. It is like they took the hades pillar in gow 1 and made a game out of it.

I have seen enough videos of gow3 and played the demo to know that it shits all over dantes inferno.

zoukka

Animator said:
I have played and finished dantes inferno. It is a shitty game from beginning to end. It is like they took the hades pillar in gow 1 and made a game out of it.

I have seen enough videos of gow3 and played the demo to know that it shits all over dantes inferno.

You finished a shitty game? And IIRC the review said the Hell in DI was designed better. Whatever that means.

Animator

zoukka said:
You finished a shitty game? And IIRC the review said the Hell in DI was designed better. Whatever that means.

Yea I already paid money for the rental so why not? it's not like it was a long game.

Yea one review did. It is canon now?

Rugasuki

Jtones said:
I wonder if the graphics we saw in the downloadable demo are going to be even better in the full game? I know that the framerate issues are as good as gone, so I wonder if the game we see in the demo can represent the full game. (Since it's an E3 build)

I was at the event last week and the final game looks noticeably better than the E3 demo.

Jtones said:

Sorry if i'm coming off as blunt. Are you fucking blind? No shit:lol

zoukka

Animator said:
Yea I already paid money for the rental so why not? it's not like it was a long game.

Yea one review did. It is canon now?

How the fuck should I know, I haven't played DI or GoW's hades section :b

Top Bottom