• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War 3 Has Gone Gold - Lots of Reviews Out Already

Veelk

Banned
GoW fans will forever confound me. I get that people love the franchise, love Kratos, but the level of drooling that's going on about...well, anything pertaining to this franchise is ridiculous. After seeing the semi full Poseidon battle and everyone drooling over it, I seriously have to point out why it sucks, just like most of GoW's boss battles.

1:39: Okay, I cannot judge this too harshly, because I have no played the game and this is battle is clearly cut to an extent. However, just look at the positioning here. Poseidon has 2 crab things latched on to either side of Gaia's head. He has AT LEAST 3 more of them, and he has his own body, trident, and electrical powers. And what does he do with them? Nothing. You can see 2 of the crab things just chilling in the back, doing absolutely nothing, and Poseidon himself is just watching Kratos as he turns his back on him to deal with the crab legs on the side. This is the number one reason why GoW's bosses were weak, Why GoW2's bosses were weak, and why GoW3's bosses appear to be weak as well. They hardly every feel as if they are trying to kill you, and thus never provide you with a real challenge. What should be happening is that Poseidon should be attacking Kratos with everything he has. Rather than waiting for an interval of 5 seconds or so between attacks, he should be jabbing repeatedly. I mean, even if he misses, he's still hurting Gaia. And have the other tentacle things do SOMETHING, if they're not going to attack kratos, don't just have them standing there.

1:54: Do you know why Kratos managed to knock you out? Because you were literally standing there, doing nothing while he approached. Again, this makes the bosses feel absolutely pathetic because they stand there doing nothing for periods of time. Also, I don't really remember GoW1's bosses as well as GoW2's, but nearly all of GoW2's has only 2-3 attacks per stage. I cannot comment on this as it's clearly cut video, showing only 3 kinds of attacks (Trident Strike, Trident lightning strike, and Crab tentacle strike), but if the bosses still only use 2-3 attacks per stage, I will be disappointed.

2:28: A minor point, but is there any particular reason he can't immediately get more rocks to protect his weak point? I mean, they ARE all around him.

2:34: You know what would be a better use for that tentacle? Killing Kratos so that you don't have to worry about him, then taking out gaia, who is clearly the more passive in this fight.

2:53: Why? Why is he hit with that once, then pull back? Why not just keep rapidly hitting the rest of her head?

3:04-3:25: WTF IS THIS SHIT?! Maybe there were some cuts here, but it really doesn't look like it. Someone explain this to me. Gaia pulls back to punch. Her punch is stopped by Crab tentacle thing. Then 3 more crab tentacles bite the rest of the way up her arm. Then...they pull back? And just hang there? Look, they're not even in the middle of pulling back or anything, because you can see they literally wait right in that position for kratos to swing on. What, was Poseidon actively helping Kratos win here? Why would this happen? I don't understand why this would occur for any reason.

3: 32: I will admit....that is fucking awesome.

3:42: Okay, here I will admit I'm diving into the realm of nitpicking, and it might not even be fore anything because there was a sequence skipped, but why can't Poseidon fight? All I ever hurt were rocks, water crab tentacles, and his body was physically connected to none of it. I hope we actually get to fight him normal sized, as boss fights are typically best when they're fought on even ground.

Conclusion: The boss fight looks stupid as fuck. They keep trying to make it as stupidly epic as possible that they neglect gameplay. In the end, Poseidon looks like he's never even trying, and the boss battle ends up being stupidly easy because posiedon ends up making openings that should never happen. The best boss fights, I feel, are the ones where both opponents are throwing everything they have at each other, both in the story sense and the gameplay, where it truly feels that you are fighting someone that really wants you dead. Nevermind bosses, the one enemies I ever felt that were truly giving it all were the satyrs. I realize that god of war is more about Scale and adventure than it is about the action and gameplay, and I'm honestly trying not to rain on anyone's parade, but it just amazes me that people can have SUCH a hard on for what is, given what we've seen so far, probably going to be a very weak boss fight.

And for the record, of what we've seen, Helios and Kronos were even worse.

Generic said:
GoW fans will forever confound me. I get that people love the franchise, love Kratos, but the level of drooling that's going on about...well, anything pertaining to this franchise is ridiculous. After seeing the semi full Poseidon battle and everyone drooling over it, I seriously have to point out why it sucks, just like most of GoW's boss battles.

1:39: Okay, I cannot judge this too harshly, because I have no played the game and this is battle is clearly cut to an extent. However, just look at the positioning here. Poseidon has 2 crab things latched on to either side of Gaia's head. He has AT LEAST 3 more of them, and he has his own body, trident, and electrical powers. And what does he do with them? Nothing. You can see 2 of the crab things just chilling in the back, doing absolutely nothing, and Poseidon himself is just watching Kratos as he turns his back on him to deal with the crab legs on the side. This is the number one reason why GoW's bosses were weak, Why GoW2's bosses were weak, and why GoW3's bosses appear to be weak as well. They hardly every feel as if they are trying to kill you, and thus never provide you with a real challenge. What should be happening is that Poseidon should be attacking Kratos with everything he has. Rather than waiting for an interval of 5 seconds or so between attacks, he should be jabbing repeatedly. I mean, even if he misses, he's still hurting Gaia. And have the other tentacle things do SOMETHING, if they're not going to attack kratos, don't just have them standing there.

1:54: Do you know why Kratos managed to knock you out? Because you were literally standing there, doing nothing while he approached. Again, this makes the bosses feel absolutely pathetic because they stand there doing nothing for periods of time. Also, I don't really remember GoW1's bosses as well as GoW2's, but nearly all of GoW2's has only 2-3 attacks per stage. I cannot comment on this as it's clearly cut video, showing only 3 kinds of attacks (Trident Strike, Trident lightning strike, and Crab tentacle strike), but if the bosses still only use 2-3 attacks per stage, I will be disappointed.

2:28: A minor point, but is there any particular reason he can't immediately get more rocks to protect his weak point? I mean, they ARE all around him.

2:34: You know what would be a better use for that tentacle? Killing Kratos so that you don't have to worry about him, then taking out gaia, who is clearly the more passive in this fight.

2:53: Why? Why is he hit with that once, then pull back? Why not just keep rapidly hitting the rest of her head?

3:04-3:25: WTF IS THIS SHIT?! Maybe there were some cuts here, but it really doesn't look like it. Someone explain this to me. Gaia pulls back to punch. Her punch is stopped by Crab tentacle thing. Then 3 more crab tentacles bite the rest of the way up her arm. Then...they pull back? And just hang there? Look, they're not even in the middle of pulling back or anything, because you can see they literally wait right in that position for kratos to swing on. What, was Poseidon actively helping Kratos win here? Why would this happen? I don't understand why this would occur for any reason.

3:42: Okay, here I will admit I'm diving into the realm of nitpicking, and it might not even be fore anything because there was a sequence skipped, but why can't Poseidon fight? All I ever hurt were rocks, water crab tentacles, and his body was physically connected to none of it. I hope we actually get to fight him normal sized, as boss fights are typically best when they're fought on even ground.

Conclusion: The boss fight looks stupid as fuck. They keep trying to make it as stupidly epic as possible that they neglect gameplay. In the end, Poseidon looks like he's never even trying, and the boss battle ends up being stupidly easy because posiedon ends up making openings that should never happen. The best boss fights, I feel, are the ones where both opponents are throwing everything they have at each other, both in the story sense and the gameplay, where it truly feels that you are fighting someone that really wants you dead. Nevermind bosses, the one enemies I ever felt that were truly giving it all were the satyrs. I realize that god of war is more about Scale and adventure than it is about the action and gameplay, and I'm honestly trying not to rain on anyone's parade, but it just amazes me that people can have SUCH a hard on for what is, given what we've seen so far, probably going to be a very weak boss fight.

That's quite a perspective and thorough post you have there....

....go fuck yourself.

Generic said:

Where's that GTFO gif?

Oh, here's something close enough.

2m7yuz9.gif

Zabka

Generic said:
9av0ag.jpg

rhino4evr

Generic said:

Dude it's like the first boss, I think you should quit playing videogames

Cerberus

:lol

I haven't seen the vid and I don't want to either, but the first boss in GoW and GoWII was my favorite boss fight in each game. Hoping the one in this game doesn't disappoint.

Veelk

Banned
rhino4evr said:
Dude it's like the first boss, I think you should quit playing videogames
So? Why should that be an excuse to make laughably simple? And even if that were true, GoW has a record of doing this with ALL it's boss fights, so it's not a thing exclusive to the first level.

rhino4evr

Generic said:
So? Why should that be an excuse to make laughably simple? And even if that were true, GoW has a record of doing this with ALL it's boss fights, so it's not a thing exclusive to the first level.
I didn't read your spoilers but all the gow bosses I can remember have been a decent challenge. I mean do you get mad that the collossus on sotc have weak points? You realize that there has to be some way to defeat a boss. I mean every game puts you against impossible odds. I got shot by a tank in uncharted 2 and walked away soon after.

dankir

Generic said:

Homey it's not the whole battle, they skip scenes for the purpose of the video.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
When Kratos jumps out of the vines-wall climbing part. I was like "oh, cool, he ends up on Gaia's back"... "wait, that's actually the head?! ZOMGWTFBBQ"

BTW, that's not the whole fight. A lot seems to be missing going by GTTV footage.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Generic said:

I actually agree with what you were saying. Alot of bosses in video games do this though, where they just stand there for intervals of like 10 seconds and don't do anything, waiting for you to attack. That's why I always love 1 on 1 duels in games, where it's 2 similar opponents going at it. Hopefully the one on one with Kratos vs
Hercules
will demonstrate a capable opponent.

Veelk

Banned
rhino4evr said:
I didn't read your spoilers but all the gow bosses I can remember have been a decent challenge. I mean do you get mad that the collossus on sotc have weak points? You realize that there has to be some way to defeat a boss. I mean every game puts you against impossible odds. I got shot by a tank in uncharted 2 and walked away soon after.

I never felt that Vergil was letting me win in DMC3, he was attacking whenever he could. Same with Jeanne and Balder of Bayonetta. And a hundred other games I could name. Even The colossi kept doing everything they could to knock you off them. It isn't about being realistic. This isn't about it being a challenge. It's about how these are suppose to be gods, but they do nothing that feels like they are trying to fight you, and they seem to help you for no reason at all, like the way
Poseidon puts up those tentacles for...for what? Just so Kratos can swing and free gaia so he can die?

dankir said:
Homey it's not the whole battle, they skip scenes for the purpose of the video.

I know, which is why I make sure not to say anything definitively, but going by past gow games, and the footage seen up til now, I doubt that much is going to change in the final edition.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
HomerSimpson-Man said:
That's quite a perspective and thorough post you have there....

....go fuck yourself.

.....right. I love how that's allowed. people get banned for much less than that....sad

rhino4evr

Generic said:
I never felt that Vergil was letting me win in DMC3, he was attacking whenever he could. Same with Jeanne and Balder of Bayonetta. And a hundred other games I could name. Even The colossi kept doing everything they could to knock you off them. It isn't about being realistic. This isn't about it being a challenge. It's about how these are suppose to be gods, but they do nothing that feels like they are trying to fight you, and they seem to help you for no reason at all, like the way [spoilers] Poseidon puts up those tentacles for...for what? Just so Kratos can swing and free gaia so he can die?[/spoilers].
All games have "it's time to attack" windows. Including dmc3 and bayonetta. It's more of a norm then 1 vs 1 combat bosses. So why not complain ALL games?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Lifejumper said:
Holy Shit:lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Entertainment_Expo_2010

God of War 3 Part 2 - Son of Kratos (PS3)

Fake right? :lol :lol

# Uncharted 3: Among Pediphiles (PS3)

Aside from being spelled wrong, this would be awesome.

rhino4evr said:
All games have "it's time to attack" windows. Including dmc3 and bayonetta. It's more of a norm then 1 vs 1 combat bosses. So why not complain ALL games?

It's more blatant in other games. I get what he's saying here, Vergil felt like he never stopped trying to actually kill you, while the Gods here aren't really acting like it. It's harder to make giants unrelentingly attack without it being impossible, but they also don't need to actually HELP you with a random attack.

Generic said:

blah blah blah nothing but nitpicking out of the ass. Its a fucking game, it doesn't have to make sense all the time. Sheesh.

Veelk

Banned
rhino4evr said:

It's time to attack =! boss stopping to pick his nose.

Vergil was constantly attacking, as was Jeanne. They did everything they could to stop you. In those fights, at least, it felt like the enemy was actually trying to kill you.

ghostofsparta said:
blah blah blah nothing but nitpicking out of the ass. Its a fucking game, it doesn't have to make sense all the time. Sheesh.

Again, it's not about making sense, it's about the God of the Sea living up to his name.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
wait there is more

# Uncharted 4: The Kingdom of the Crystal Scalp (PS3)
# The Last Guardian 2: The Death of Dog-Bird-Cat Thing (PS3)
# God of War 3: "Thanks For The Spoilers You Retard" Edition (PS3)

:lol

# Alan Wake 2 (PS3)
# Halo Reach (PS3)
# Gears of War 3 (PS3)
# Mass Effect 3 (PS3)
# Grand Theft Auto V: The Ballad of Straight Tony Blair (PS3)
# E.T. 2 (PS3)

Im dieing here :lol

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Generic said:
Again, it's not about making sense, it's about the God of the Sea living up to his name.
The God of the Sea, pfffft. He's freaking Aquaman compared to the rest of the Justice League.

Aquaman.

Wikipedia article said:
E3 came under great controversy in 2009 when Jack Tretton was caught dealing cocaine during the Sony Press Briefing. He was shortly released after bribing the authorities with drug-money and lots of cocaine.

:lol :lol :lol

iceatcs

E3 came under great controversy in 2009 when Jack Tretton was caught dealing cocaine during the Sony Press Briefing. He was shortly released after bribing the authorities with drug-money and lots of cocaine.

LOL
success_baby70989908.jpg

Generic said:
It's time to attack =! boss stopping to pick his nose.

Vergil was constantly attacking, as was Jeanne. They did everything they could to stop you. In those fights, at least, it felt like the enemy was actually trying to kill you.

Vergil was a joke , I understand what your saying but it's still stupid .Vergil was trying to kill me all the time by doing the same attacks over and over which made him rather easy to beat .

A boss in 1 on 1 fight doing the same moves over and over is no better than whats happening in GOW at least in GOW in feels more epic .

Generic said:

God of War have both type of boss battles. the big epic giant boss, and human sized boss battle as well. they both serve different purpose. one for the set pieces and the other one for the actual challenge.

that said, giant boss in action game are always designed like that, with plenty of opening by the giant boss. DMC4 final boss, Ninja Gaiden Sigma Buddha and Liberty statue, big boss in Bayonetta demo. basically, even though they're giant, they only use a couple of attack pattern, recognizing the pattern got easy, unless the dev choose to make the attack very cheap and hard to dodge the fight is usually not that challenging.

I know someone posted before, anyway

I almost fell off my chair reading that, OMFG :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Generic said:

9sz11d.jpg

jett

D-Member
Generic said:

2a8hr9u.gif

OMG Dudebro's there now :lol

Edit: not anymore, lol.

Edit²:

Notable exhibitors list

# Jack Bauer
# James Cameron
# Cameron Diaz

WTF is wrong with this people :lol

traveler

Not Wario
Generic said:

I didn't read this because I'm trying to avoid spoilers at the moment, but if it's about what I think it is, I kind of agree. I tend to think it's symptomatic of giant bosses in general, though. (and I'm pretty sure we had this debate in another thread regarding GoW) They simply can't throw all their weight against the player like they would in a "real" situation and still be killable by the player character. There are a few that get close though. (Even in GoW- the colossus battle in the second felt like a real struggle, not in difficulty, but just in the way the fight progressed across an entire level.)

I still love GoW, however, but it's more for the sort of streamlined Zelda experience it presents than it is for any particularly challenging boss fights.

Top Bottom