• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War 3 Has Gone Gold - Lots of Reviews Out Already

Catalix said:
Well... it is unreasonable. Ever consider they had to sacrifice things like game length in favor of maximum fidelity? It has been a major gripe among many developers this generation, after all.

It would most certainly require more time/man-power and money to accomplish what you're asking for, much more than it did for a game that came out at the tail-end of the PS2's life-cycle. Also, GOW II was the second game on the same system, so a good amount of the groundwork was laid beforehand. If GOW III were a PS2 game, your case would be more justified and convincing.

Thing is, to me large part of the GoW games length has been because of the large amount of puzzles tossed into the game between all the ass kicking. Some of the puzzles can be difficult or just time consuming.... toss in the need to often have to repeat some of the puzzle section because they kill you, and it seems to be one of the main factors to me for making the game longer than it really is.

Jtones

Banned
Majine said:
Satterfield said on Invisible Walls that they have been careful about that.

Glad to hear that.

Seriously, I don't think I'd want to live if they spoiled something significant. :lol

BeeDog

Gamereactor.se: 9/10 (second opinion: 8/10, from the chief editor who gave Uncharted 2 8/10 :p)
Gamereactor.dk: 10/10
Gamereactor.no: 8/10

Lince

Banned
Eurogamer said:
if you can even notice the frame-rate amid this particle-heavy carnage, you'll realise that it never falters.

:O

Videogamer said:
There are some minor technical issues, including the odd frame rate issue, that are bound to get a few people up in arms, but it really doesn't matter. The odd stumble below 30 frames a second is a miniscule trade off for what are the most impressive visuals this console generation has seen.

:O ?

Cerberus

8.5 Presentation
The story is far from perfect, but huge props to Sony Santa Monica for once again including a ton of bonus content.
9.5 Graphics
It is at times the best-looking game ever, but not all assets were created equal. Still, you will be floored.
9.0 Sound
Fantastic soundtrack and great effects. Some of the voice work could be better, however.
9.5 Gameplay
The combat is nearly perfect, the scale is mind-boggling, and the brutality is rewarding. It's more of the same, but that's not too much of a complaint.
8.0 Lasting Appeal
It won't take much more than about 10 hours one time through, but collectables can bring you back, not to mention the Challenge rooms and Arena Battles.
Outstanding OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/107/1075014p1.html

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Destructoid

Without question, God of War III sets the new gold standard for action games, clearing and then raising the near-impossible bar that was set by its previous installments. For many years to come, this will be the game by which all others in the genre are compared, and I suspect we won't see anything like it for quite some time. If God of War III was the reason you bought a PS3, your purchase has been justify and then some. If you're looking to show off the power of your console, this is your new showcase -- it's an experience that simply can't be missed.

Score: 10 -- Flawless Victory (10s are as close to perfect as you will get in a genre or on a platform. Pure, untarnished videogame ecstasy.)

yet, I expect an article next week (looking for hits!) about how DMC2 is better than GOW3.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Good shit all around, hurry up and deliver my copy to Best Buy already.
Edit: color me surprised @ the Destructoid review. :O

tzare

review scores seem fine to me, but i hate this it is more of the same thing. WTF? it is GOW 3, a sequel. What do people expect?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
9.3/10? Disappointment. That's like a 4/10 on any regular site's scale. Oh well, maybe I will get hyped for Gow4

Salz01

What does this really mean?

"but not all assets were created equal.."

Does that mean some objects have better textures than others?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So much for that 'leaked' 10 from IGN. :lol

Great to see the game reviewing nicely. Not that I needed another reason to grab it day one.

Y2Kev said:
9.3/10? Disappointment. That's like a 4/10 on any regular site's scale. Oh well, maybe I will get hyped for Gow4

:lol

Edit: The game is a week away and P-A still haven't opened up pre-orders on the Ultimate Edition. :/

wizword

Banned
Eh. I am not surprised it scored lower than god of war 2. Obviously is a better title, but stupid shit like plays similar to god of war 2 and 1. I can't say I am surprised. It is like complaining about transformers having robots in the next movie. I'm waiting for Edge review to see if game critics could complain about something that I would find reasonable (the platforming critique was great).

Hydrargyrus

Rapping Granny said:
It's a joke of a site. the same site gave R2 a 9.5.

I think that the 8 in the lasting appeal is worst: 10 hours, a lot of replayability, arenas, challenge rooms...

What they expect, 40 hours and the rest of content?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
cacildo said:
No multiplayer = not buying

2cxgq6v.jpg

The game was confirmed SP-only forever ago.

PerkeyMan

Just finished God of War 1 & 2 for the first time! They are both extremely awesome so I can't wait for numero tres to arrive! And I think this is the first time ever that I don't know everything about an so called AAA-game before I've played it. All I know is that som areas and boss fights are beyond jaw-dropping.

Can't Wait!

That 1up review is so poorly written...

edit: didnt mean to call out Matt persay; just tired of seeing Paragraphs of exposition on the game mechanics rather than a look at its other features.

Carl

tzare said:
review scores seem fine to me, but i hate this it is more of the same thing. WTF? it is GOW 3, a sequel. What do people expect?

This. Did they take points off *insert generic FPS sequel here* because you walk around and shoot people, like you did in the previous one?

"ZEUS! Your son has returned. I bring with me the destruction of OLYMPUS!"

Serious lack of rage there, I should have had to capitalize that whoooooole thing.

God I can't wait to play this.

Melfice7

i wonder why the "major" sites like ign gamespot gametrailers etc are always so careful on not giving too much high scores to ps3 exclusives that deserve it but then in other games like gta or cod they go batshit insane

Top Bottom