• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War 3 Has Gone Gold - Lots of Reviews Out Already

wizword said:
Eh. I am not surprised it scored lower than god of war 2. Obviously is a better title, but stupid shit like plays similar to god of war 2 and 1. I can't say I am surprised. It is like complaining about transformers having robots in the next movie. I'm waiting for Edge review to see if game critics could complain about something that I would find reasonable (the platforming critique was great).
Edge will give it a 7 or an 8 (they gave GoW2 a 7), compare it to Bayonetta, and complain that the gameplay isnt sufficiently evolved. I can smell it from a mile away.:lol

Loudninja

IGN AU: God of War 3 Review 9.4
http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/107/1075103p1.html

Ars: God of War III review

The Good
* Beautiful graphics
* Huge scale
* Amazing boss fights
* Satisfying weapons
* References the past games for a sense of history and purpose
* Classic gameplay remains fun
* Rip Torn's vocal performance

The Bad
* The voice acting fits the genre, but can be a little overdone at times
* After you beat the single-player game, there's not much left to do
* The game can feel a little too familiar in places
* The ending is going to have people talking, but that could just as easily go under "The Good"

The Ugly
* Walking in on someone playing the new sex mini-game... you may find this one in your kid's top drawer, if you know what I mean
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/reviews/2010/03/god-of-war-3-review-this-is-the-way-it-ends.ars

XTERC

Videogamer got this right:

'If you leave God of War 3 feeling let down by its visuals, you really need another hobby.'

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
theignoramus said:
Edge will give it a 7 or an 8 (they gave GoW2 a 7), compare it to Bayonetta, and complain that the gameplay isnt sufficiently evolved. I can smell it from a mile away.:lol

Well if edge only give it a seven then that chap from Teletext:Gamecentral will no doubt give it a 4/10 lol, and unfortunately his reviews count on the metacritic scale, he single handedly stop HR being a 90% rated game on metacritic and ironically he used to work for Edge.

BattleMonkey said:
Oh no, were now complaining about not getting all perfect scores?
I'm not complaining, I got pre-ordered a year ago. But I was expecting atleast a 10 from IGN, since they gave GoW 1 9.7 and II a 9.8. It seems that Uncharted 2 will retain the crown as the highest rated PS3 game :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
IGN AU said:
... all of these glitzy elements running at a buttery framerate that even Uncharted 2 would be envious of. This is a technical and artistic achievement on most fronts and we think you won't be disappointed.

Reviewers seem to be at odds regarding the framerate. The drops are either something you notice or are oblivious to entirely. :lol

tzare

RustyNails said:
I'm not complaining, I got pre-ordered a year ago. But I was expecting atleast a 10 from IGN, since they gave GoW 1 9.7 and II a 9.8. It seems that Uncharted 2 will retain the crown as the highest rated PS3 game :)
at least is strange as this generation some 10 scores have been flying around, some of them really weird too :D

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
badcrumble said:
New Game+ is in GoW2 but not in GoW3? Why?

Yeah, this is a strange omission. Perhaps the
relics system
makes up for this by allowing you to be overpowered in similar ways? I don't know, I only played New Game+ once to get my revenge on Titan mode, so I don't really care, but I know this features matters to a lot of people.

I also hope the unskippable cutscenes aren't a nuisance. GOW has never drawn out its cinematics too long, IMO, so here's hoping they maintain that restraint here.

JaseC said:
Reviewers seem to be at odds regarding the framerate. The drops are either something you notice or are oblivious to entirely. :lol

Probably because the motion blur and other visual effects mask it to the point you'll only ever notice if you're really looking for it.

Salz01 said:
What does this really mean?

"but not all assets were created equal.."

Does that mean some objects have better textures than others?
Probably. You`re not gunna make an ambitious HD action game like GoW and get impeccable visual fidelity everywhere with a limited amount of memory. Naturally, there will be visual imperfections here and there, and the reviewer seems to feel the need to make light of them, as if such a thing wasnt par for the course for just about every graphics powerhouse.

wizword

Banned
theignoramus said:
How is edge bad? At least they have an opinion and muster up enough courage to give some games low scores. If someone doesn't enjoy god of war series there opinion is just as valid. It is the fact that ign, gametrailers, etc those reviewers that bother me. The ones that use a 9-10 scale just to split where god of war 3 goes and mass effect 2 goes and make excuses to not lose fanbase. Those reviews are bad.

Melfice7 said:
i wonder why the "major" sites like ign gamespot gametrailers etc are always so careful on not giving too much high scores to ps3 exclusives that deserve it but then in other games like gta or cod they go batshit insane

Less Hype surrounding it so they are less pressured to give a game an inflated score rather than a true score.

Plus I don't it's the site persay, I think its the reviewer. Chris Roper is historically more stringent in giving out higher scores than other reviewers (such as Hillary, Erik or Clements).

beast786

Scythesurge said:

""This is a game that is so mighty in its expression, so loudly in your face, so boldly an advertisement of the power of the PlayStation 3, that it leaves its mark, punches its impression in your memory and seems too good to chuck. This game shows off and gets it right. It is an Olympic achievement, worthy of Kratos' burning drive."

wow...

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Yeah, this is a strange omission. Perhaps the
relics system
makes up for this by allowing you to be overpowered in similar ways? I don't know, I only played New Game+ once to get my revenge on Titan mode, so I don't really care, but I know this features matters to a lot of people.

I also hope the unskippable cutscenes aren't a nuisance. GOW has never drawn out its cinematics too long, IMO, so here's hoping they maintain that restraint here.
I'm hoping the relics system is something like that, yeah. I understand that new game+ really ought to retain the RPG elements if at all possible to retain a feeling of progression, but... bleh. Strange. I suppose it remains to be seen what's doable on replays.

tzare

Valkyr Junkie said:
Probably because the motion blur and other visual effects mask it to the point you'll only ever notice if you're really looking for it.
that is the problem, some reviewers seem to be looking for this in certain games.

Cyberia

Kotaku:

Loved

The First 10 Minutes: The first minutes of Half-Life 2 intrigue. The first minutes of Super Metroid unnerve. The first minutes of Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Bros. may represent two facets of perfect fun. The opening playable sequence of God of War III is equally wowing, perhaps the most impressive controlled combat sequence to ever start a game. Extraordinarily, this sequence, worth experiencing fresh if you haven't heard about it already, is surpassed later in the game.

wizword said:
How is edge bad? At least they have an opinion and muster up enough courage to give some games low scores. If someone doesn't enjoy god of war series there opinion is just as valid. It is the fact that ign, gametrailers, etc those reviewers that bother me. The ones that use a 9-10 scale just to split where god of war 3 goes and mass effect 2 goes and make excuses to not lose fanbase. Those reviews are bad.
What Edge does isnt courageous, it`s clever self promotion.

Cmagus

hmm the gametrailers review kinda turned me off a bit.Don't get me wrong i'll still play it but hearing how there isn't alot of titan stuff and just watching the gameplay stuff and seeing kratos fight down linear paths again the gameplay came off a little tired looking.Ah well it should still be a visual feast and a fun game I am curious to see how it ends.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The Gametrailers review mentions there are items that can only be used in a second playthrough or in the challenge modes, so I guess that's sort of NG+ ?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
The Bad
* The voice acting fits the genre, but can be a little overdone at times
* After you beat the single-player game, there's not much left to do
* The game can feel a little too familiar in places
* The ending is going to have people talking, but that could just as easily go under "The Good"

So unless the ending is really bad, how does this even remotely make sense? Is he saying it goes in the bad because he's sad its over?

RavenFox

Banned
beast786 said:
""This is a game that is so mighty in its expression, so loudly in your face, so boldly an advertisement of the power of the PlayStation 3, that it leaves its mark, punches its impression in your memory and seems too good to chuck. This game shows off and gets it right. It is an Olympic achievement, worthy of Kratos' burning drive."

wow...
I said WOW to 0_0

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Jesus christ, I just watched the GT review and it's difficult to believe that what is being shown is realtime. It really does look like CG much of the time. Absolutely outstanding visuals!

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
nskinnear said:
Shit, I wish I didn't have to go to class now. I want to see the rest of the reviews (mainly EDGE) :D.

"Some people will like it, some people won't"

?

Ok that makes sense then. I was reading it in the wrong context.

Cerberus

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
So unless the ending is really bad, how does this even remotely make sense? Is he saying it goes in the bad because he's sad its over?

The ending will be controversial which will increase the media attention for GoWIII which will result in more publicity and sales which is good for Sony?

McLovin

wizword said:
Not trying to argue with you but if someone doesn't enjoy the a certain type of game or series they shouldn't be reviewing it. Its like you have a reviewer who hates fighting games and then make him review SF4. That review wouldn't be useful to anyone. IMO the reviewer should either be neutral or a fan of the type of game. Maybe those other sites gave it 9+ scores because its a good game?

El-Suave

For all the heat Kotaku rightfully gets for some of their questionable articles, if the right editors are on the job, their reviews are among the most enjoyable and informative on the net.

Top Bottom