• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketch

Sometimes I just wish everything didn't have to be an esport.

Gonna be super bummed when I finally get overwatch and hear: Don't play that hero, that hero sucks.

What issues is it creating? All of those things are in TF2 and causes no problems. You just end up with optimal team comps for offense/defense on specific maps. There's also highlander format in tf2 which just means limiting to one per class on each team, but mirror matches are still alright.

Syf

Banned
no I agree, I'm in overwatch beta and already hear that garbage

I play what I like to play and it's whatever

kirblar

It doesn't cause problems in TF2 because no one plays TF2 for money. The game's not pushed competitively - no class-based shooters really are (well, until the current gigantic wave hits.)

It's why it's such an awful thing to point to - there are real challenges in making it work, especially when you need an audience to be able to follow the action.

QM doesn't need to go away, it just can't be what you play in a tournament. The min/max optimized stuff also isn't really the healthiest thing - putting in a highlander rule forces diversity.

Ketch

People play tf2 for money and have for a really long time.

http://www.esportsearnings.com/games/335-team-fortress-2

Overwatch is probably not gonna be big esport no matter what they do.
COD is like the most popular game ever made, and still has a pro scene that is not very popular.

All I'm trying to say is that FPS esports aren't very viewer friendly to begin with, historically do not do very well as esports anyway, and the hurdles to overwatch esports are much more problematic then team comps or drafting strategy.

Would format changes and stuff help? Maybe, probable. But I don't think it would really matter, cus I don't think overwatch esports has a chance to begin with basically.

Same, I'm thirsty for some new hotness.

As an aside, I am shocked, SHOCKED that competitive Overwatch is running into issues w/ them using the QM settings in competitive play.

Who ever could have imagined that mirror matches, unlimited swaps, and dupe heroes could be an issue?

(They need to go to a draft system with uniqueness rules and some type of limitation on tag outs in the match.)

I agree they got to do something. I remember in the stress test beta, we would do stupid shit like....have 4 bastions defending against the payload. it was dumb. but it also was fun.

being able to dumb shit like that is stupid for competitive play tho. (And i know bastion's been nerfed since then).

kirblar

People play tf2 for money and have for a really long time.

http://www.esportsearnings.com/games/335-team-fortress-2

Overwatch is probably not gonna be big esport no matter what they do.
COD is like the most popular game ever made, and still has a pro scene that is not very popular.

All I'm trying to say is that FPS esports aren't very viewer friendly to begin with, historically do not do very well as esports anyway, and the hurdles to overwatch esports are much more problematic then team comps or drafting strategy.
1. PC Gamer Showdown $27,599.92
This is the most money ever given away at a single tournament.

That's nothing. People play competitively, but it's not being played for high stakes.

Overwatch having unique heroes is a huge additional hurdle- notice that HALO, CS GO, these aren't class based games.

Alur

You've had it out for the hero swapping since day one of getting to play it/watch it IIRC kirblar lol. As far as I've seen and known, they have the option to limit dupes and all of that in their custom games, and I don't really remember seeing a recent matchup where there were like 3x of anything for any significant period of time. Dupes you do see, but I still don't understand your complaint against them.

Is it that it's hard to follow? Or that it hurts the gameplay? I could jive with the first, but can't the latter. The whole game is designed around the second part. The swapping in mid match is part of why it's more fun to play game-to-game than Heroes of the Storm. You aren't locked into a shit comp or a bad strat, you can change it. Likewise, your changes can ruin the game for you, but the bottom line is at least you have control over things in a way that matchmaking doesn't allow in HOTS.

Whether it makes it as an esport or not doesn't really matter to me. I think it could easily be as popular as HOTS (which may or may not be saying much). As far as a fun game to play though, it's definitely that. And beautiful to look at to boot IMO.

Smart poster on reddit pointed out that Tracer is why Tychus got the rework, his gimmick was being completely obsoleted by her D.

Yeah, I would imagine so. Makes sense.

Her attack speed looks like Tychus fully wound-up but she's moving.

It is. She's full on moving while attacking.

Zackat

Overwatch is gonna be huge. Whether it is in esports depends if it launches with a competitive mode or not. Proper ranks and the like.

kirblar

I'm not trying to change the basic everyday QM mode.

Must bold this. It's an excellent, fun casual game mode. But casual game modes often have issues translating to competitive play and require altered rulesets. See: Smash Bros, and the EDH format in MTG. EDH a multiplayer format that stops being fun work if you start REALLY playing to win. (Or if you're me.) The solution to players who liked the format but wanted to play to win? French EDH! Separate banlist, tailored to 1v1 play.

Formats are great. Wild, Standard, Tavern Brawl, Arena in HS, QM (well kinda), HL, TL, Arena, ARAM in HOTS. Overwatch needs them, and eventually they'll figure it out.

Ketch

Well what does that say for over watches chances? TF 2 uses highlander rules aswell. Is super popular and been around forever.

I think the prize pools for overwatch will be larger just due to growth of esports in general, but I think it'll be about as successful relatively.

FPS's just don't do great as esports. Much harder to break into then mob as and that's already super steep hill to climb.

Edit: also, 30,000 is a lot for one event to play a game. Not everything has to be huge to be successful. Maybe overwatch will just be a small esports game, that isn't inherently a bad thing.

kirblar

It's gonna have a lot of money pumped in early just because it's Blizzard. FPSes (CS GO, Halo) also do have big prize pots nowadays. They're just not too spectator friendly.

Alur

Overwatch needs them, and eventually they'll figure it out.

I see what you're saying. They already have the ability to make any kind of mode they want competitively, though. Just depends on if they are willing to change it up.

For the plebs, they just implemented brawls just like Hearthstone and ranked is coming at or around launch apparently. There was talk of reworking skirmish mode but dunno where they are with that.

sobaka770

Banned
30k viewer mark hit on the finals steam, not close to Blizzcon or HotD finals levels (50k) but because of terrible timing for Europe is probably doing fine.

It helps that the games are actually very tense.

Overwatch can easily be an esport if it gets a large enough audience and proper tools.

To the question of not choosing good heroes, it's not a problem in quick match or other relaxing modes, that's what they exist for. In any competitive environment (I.e Hero league) you don't pick Illidan first and yelling at the team for not supporting you or start Gazlowe experiments. Some streamers are guilty of that and it's just selfish. I know people diss at ranks not meaning anything, but it's still a competitive mode, do your homework.

Syf

Banned
not even concerned about viewership for this tbh, it's the dead zone for twitch viewership and it's breaking 40k right now. HotS is fine

jediyoshi

This is fine, I saw no butt poses.

I had to censor it. I'm not sure how Blizzard thinks they can get away with this smut.

KbJOMXN.gif

kirblar

MVP Black picking a Blizzcon mount and Wonder Billie for their mounts, along with the 3 most recent ones which haven't been on sale solo.

They are true heroes.

Alur

MVP vs EDG fights remind me of TS vs C9 late game fights when C9 could never break through the late game wall against TS. EDG is so close in every fight but can't seem to finish the kills and then get rekt.

Alur

The spanking was funny. Also got a kick out of Sake calling out C9 in English. "We the world champion now."

There's a point in time late at night, I don't know exactly when yet--and I think it's ultimately an unknowable, a great mystery, something to which there where never truly be an exact or precise answer--where I should stop fucking queuing in HotS because everyone is drunk and/or high.

Syf

Banned
I was nervous to open this thread but hey drunk syf stayed reasonable and didn't spam last night, I'll take that small victory

sorta

patchday

Watching MVP Black vs EStar rebroadcast. good stuff :)

I find watching HoTS esports a bit more interesting than LoL streams most of the time because in HoTS, I feel the team comps have a bit more variety (LoL has pretty poor balance at pro tier so you see same heroes over and over). Plus you get to see lots of nice team fighting real early in HoTS esports

And yeah looking forward to Overwatch pro teams too :)

Maledict

MVP Black didn't lose a single game across the entire tournament. That's *insane*. No doubts who are the best in the world currently.

Azzurri

when you log in to the game after you earn it it pops up and says you got an award.

check your portraits just in case you didnt notice it or something. its a green 2016 hexagon.

Checked and nothing, do rebroadcast work? Also, how long do you have to watch?

Does Twitch automatically know your bnet when you connect it?

Ketch

There's a point in time late at night, I don't know exactly when yet--and I think it's ultimately an unknowable, a great mystery, something to which there where never truly be an exact or precise answer--where I should stop fucking queuing in HotS because everyone is drunk and/or high.

430pm

Milly79

So if you preorder OW Origins you get her the 19th. Otherwise she's out the 26th for everyone else.

And if you picked up a physical copy she's not out until May 24th.

Guess they learned from Artanis. Hehe.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Checked and nothing, do rebroadcast work? Also, how long do you have to watch?

Does Twitch automatically know your bnet when you connect it?

pretty sure they award in groups, it isnt on a per-user basis.

you'll probably get it at the end of the week

Milly79

The thrall one is available already? Odd. I haven't seen anything on Reddit and the last one came 2ish weeks after the event.

Ketch

So if you preorder OW Origins you get her the 19th. Otherwise she's out the 26th for everyone else.

And if you picked up a physical copy she's not out until May 24th.

Guess they learned from Artanis. Hehe.

Like Imma preorder anyway, but fuck them.

Milly79

Yeah, I don't agree with the practice of giving people an advantage at playing her, but they gotta give some incentive (and milk people at the same time).

Pooya

If you get the console version of overwatch you seemingly get nothing btw. (or any of the other content for battle.net games)

edit: nah, looks like they get in May lol.

brian!

missed the games was it hype
also yeh it seems obvious that tychus's wack ass rework was because of tracer, the only way he can work is if his q is the basis of his kit
also whaaaat tracer doesnt come w/ the base overwatch in a pre-order?

Pooya

no, unlike LotV, you have to get Origins. Standard LotV came with Artanis, only HS/Diablo/WoW goodies were Deluxe exclusive and the mount.

Milly79

Artanis really messed that up. I guess a lot of people ordered on Amazon, sent the receipt and canceled it.

Sucks they're tying some of this stuff to it and probably won't ever hit the shop. Mainly the void speeder and felstalker mounts from sc2 and wow respectively.

brian!

i mean im cool w/ it, I just didn't really pay attention to how it worked
i guess im getting tracer a week late w/ gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom