• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.

sobaka770

Banned
To think that Bob Ross fan club were one of the scariest teams just over a month ago... Anyway, I think that between Europe and USA the level of play is relatively the same. I would be so shocked if cloud 9 losses the last map, though.

Myinsanity weren't very impressive and they stand no chance in the rematch IMO. Time to bow to our Asian overlords.

Maledict

Are they doing they final two matches today? So C9 and Dig are our only hope for anyone outside of China / Korea to get to the finals, and neither is looking particulary strong.

My gut tells me C9 are probably the only ones who can do it. They've been down and come back before, I'm not Dig has that level of resilience yet.

Damn being unable to watch these matches!

EDITL: Dig out according to Reddit losing to TNL again. From what I can see of the drafts it looks like EU and NA teams are REALLY overthinking things. Some really dumb, silly choices it seems of heroes.

sobaka770

Banned
Dig is out, Korea too strong. Found a new game to dominate(when are they going to commit to DotA2?). Maybe C9 can beat the Chinese team though. They seem to have bounced back from the rock bottom of their near loss to Myinsanity.

Maledict

HotS is apparently already bigger than Dota2 in Korea, so I don't think that game is ever going to gain traction there.

I guess I have to support C9 now, which leaves me feeling dirty. At least dunk train is a nice guy, even if Arthelon sucks.

The dream is dead and most of my interest in watching the tournament, at least now I don't have to stay up until 4am
I really dislike this form of swiss since it makes it so not everyone plays against everyone, which is the whole idea of a swiss group stage

Forgot to comment on Soldier leaving, I kinda felt sad for him and kaeyoh remaining on the team so I get but I couldn't even tell you what he plays.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
the haymayker pick in the last c9 game showed how bad they were compared to asian teams. watch the replay, he never landed it once. literally worthless ult against that team comp. they actually lost when they went zera against a double support no mage draft. just really bad play. western teams also need to let go of the muradin meta.

kirblar

I bet Solo Tass might be like the Illidan comps a while back,something that beats worse teams but doesnt work vs ones on ur level.

sobaka770

Banned
The dream is dead.

Funnily enough these results seem to indicate that NA and EU are completely even. The first place teams got knocked out in the losers bracket after each losing a game to the other regions 2nd place winner.

This is probably the largest outtake out of all of this. NA and Europe scenes are very very close in terms of skill. Let the Continental Wars rage on, while Asian teams show once again that their disciplined approach to drafting and executing is still unparalleled.

I would say that due to their stability and experience Cloud 9 should be the best team in the West, but today they seemed off. The Artanis comp was atrocious vs Myinsanity, showed almost no respect, and they were rightfully at the brink of elimination at that point already. That last game, picking Zeratul into Thrall/Greymane melee heavy comp, with Tyrande solo heal and then taking Haymaker on the only real tank is beyond my (granted: limited) comprehension. I guess they were trying something, but this time it really backfired on them, a really sad way to leave the tournament.

Maledict

It felt like both teams went completely insane in the drafts and threw it there and then. Maybe they thought they couldn't win with a standard comp and so decided to try for the moon with a long shot approach.

Watching the rebroadcast for the chat experience but what's up with Zuna and the towel?

Despite them losing Bakery's Tyrande was very convincing.

C9 still hasn't faced MVP Black...

brian!

Watching the rebroadcast for the chat experience but what's up with Zuna and the towel?

Despite them losing Bakery's Tyrande was very convincing.

C9 still hasn't faced MVP Black...

Him and kenma are sick and sweating a storm

Solo tass can work fine in nonpro play, ppl need to not fixate on leeching plasma and know when he's good or not

Feelin fan's pain hes been doing fine all tourney lol
watched the bhb game their draft was so nice but their play was really amateurish and uncertain, like you know those games where you're just sitting around because your team doesnt know what's going on and then finally someones like fuck it I'll do something but it's totally the wrong thing. I always thought it was their best map too, zuna and erho did pretty bad that game. kenma was decent that series actually

Alur

All that faith and smack talk and your heroes still let us down Milly.

I really thought C9 would be in the top four at the minimum but they just didn't seem to have it at all yesterday. When they lost the first game trying to troll mYi and nearly lost the second game as well it was bad news bears. Not a team that is in reality on the level of C9 or Dig most days.

There was so much reliance on Tassadar and it just wasn't working. Worst day for Tass since the nerf in Alpha. Brian had tears in his eyes in his sleep I bet. The Xul picks for NVT also never seemed to do anything, and their stubborn love of Sonya comps seemed like they were traveling down the same road as late 2015 era Tempo Storm, who also had Zuna drafting and couldn't stop relying on the same comp once the meta shifted.

MVP Black and EDG were the most impressive I saw. eStar also deserved to be there I guess. I'm not sure TNL is really the fourth best team but that's the way it goes sometimes. With the tournaments having these short series and so many of them on the same day, one bad day can ruin you or one good day can catapult you to the top.

I really hope that NVT gets through their funk and also that this loss humbles C9 a bit so that they take every game more seriously and don't try to skate by til the last possible match.

brian!

asia is super dominant as many ppl expected (many without proof!)

blizzcon was a while ago, but the narrative of c9's win is prob even heavier going to lean towards "mvp didn't go because of bad series and china didn't go because of traveling issues, ofc c9 won"

didnt tass do really well last night? he's a major first ban too

Alur

Tass was part of virtually every C9 loss. Solo Tass or Tass + Tyrande. Also some NVT losses too IIRC. See kirblar quote:

I bet Solo Tass might be like the Illidan comps a while back,something that beats worse teams but doesnt work vs ones on ur level.

And MVP Black not making it to Blizzcon is kind of case in point for what I'm saying. They dominated then had one bad day and it cost them. Hard to argue C9 didn't have their worst day in a while yesterday too IMO, falling into all their familiar foibles. Cockiness, trying to be too clever, etc. Don't think they could top MVP but they def should've made top 4 IMO.

brian!

oh i havent seen any post-dig/nvt yet, last game dig wins w/ solo tass tho
the reason solo tass is going on so much this tourney is because the aoe drafting has been very low, ppl arent picking it because they can "get away with it" lol
like the bhb game that was just restreamed, nvt cant fight because of tass

also me and bruh are signing up soon if ppl want to join
http://randomcs.com/NexARAMus.html

Alur

Whatever they picked it for, it wasn't working. NVT drafts in general weren't working, though. C9 went 1-1 with Tass in series against EDG, lost w/ solo and won w/ Tass plus Tyrande. I can't remember the rest off top of my head but it didn't leave a good impression.

If C9 had drafted virtually any real heals to survive that game one they would've been in winners bracket IMO. Unfortunately all they could do was take the beating and kind of hang in while hoping for the best.

They barely won that game though.

I'm not the biggest fan of double bracket tourneys but the swiss way Blizzard does it wasn't that much better.
Group Stage 1 had 2 matches worth watching in total and everyone knew who'd come out of them. At this point Blizzard should consider giving the "lesser" regions their own regionals.
And what's the goddamn point of a group stage if you're not gonna make it round robin.

brian!

yeah I was talking more about the actual game, you'll notice nvt couldnt and shouldnt have attempted to started anything w/ tass around because of how their damage works
they did play a little more scared than they should have but yeah they had no way of killing anything

brian!

my bad too
still havent checked out the newer c9 games but they werent doing so hot against edg in terms of consistency and stuff
loved their stitches comp on sky temple tho

Alur

The real news here is that I'd bet this tanks viewership for the semis and finals.

I guess I'll pull for EDG, they seemed the most fun, beat C9, and are underdogs to eStar and MVP Black. They did beat eStar last night, but doing it twice is a different matter if it comes to that.

brian!

pulling for estar prob because they are running a sub

also itd be cool if fan could start a team w/ his gf who is really fucking good at the game, but he seems smart enough to know that's not advisable lol

Alur

I don't know. Went to bed. I read on reddit it was a close one in game 3 against TNL, but not what the picks were.

They won the murky games.

There were multiples? Conflicting late night interests really threw me out of the loop.

Edit: they lost the murky decider match, decider as in dropped out of the tournament.

The reaction to the illidan ban on BHB was golden btw vs Naventic, oh and 2/3rds the casters are now obsolete.

so do we get a mvp black mount when they win? (probably not)

also I thought it was funny how when edg faced cloud 9, one person on the edg team kept using the cloud 9 mount

brian!

aw what the hell they picked haymaker against tass uther and tyrael?
also the tyrael lack from the west is staggering, he's so good
it doesn't seem like asia favors etc very much? as a solo tank. don't recall seeing him get picked. i need an infographic my minds all a jumble

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
what made it hurt was he didn't lock in his lvl 10 ult (nor did valla) for like a good min..like expecting to surprise them with playmaker. pls.

milly to be never seen again

Alur

Pretty sure they used ETC Brian, particularly against NVT because Erho is stuck on Muradin. Its hard to remember cause it was so late though.

Ketch

Really disappointed nvt didn't do anything. And surprised that c9 is out already.

I blame zuna.

I think the biggest difference between regions is that NA/EU draft like they need to fill roles. Like well we need a warrior bruiser sustained burst support.

And China drafts for a specific strategy.

I think a good example that better explains my thoughts here is c9 murky draft.

I'm on my phone at work so maybe I'll write a better explanation later.

I like Lost Caverns a lot. Really fun. My only complaint is that there are no shields on the Core, so crap like Hammer's BFG basically ruins the game.

Alur

I have only ever ran into one Hammer who did BFG against the wishes of both teams. I doubt they ever played again. The salt was real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom