• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT2| Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally finished rewatching, Tournament was alright. Far from the hype that was last falls regionals because multiple top teams just dropped the ball hard.
There was also no real Meta in sight and nothing that developed throughout the day as it did in NA.
DIG had the most solid performance and they busted out some great comps.

Not sure how mYi will do internationally, Dig scrimming extensively with them could help. Too bad for VP.

Maledict

The biggest thing for me was drafting - it felt like EU was behind the curve on drafting. Aside from their first losses against MyI it felt like Dignitas was drafting far superior teams to everyone else. The actual mechanical skills were fine, but the drafts... In terms of particular teams:

1) Team Liquid were losing at the draft stage. Possibly because the patch had only hit Monday, but they clearly were not prioritising the right supports at all. Both times in their loss in the quarter final they let Rehgar go through to the enemy team, and then Kharazim was banned so they had to resort to Uther. To me that showed two issues - they didn't understand the relative strength of Rehgar, and they didn't have a deep bench for supports. Dignitas had exactly the same happen, but they just ran Tassadar or Tyrande solo healer and it worked great, but Uther definitely wasn't working for TL.

Seriously, first picking Sonya made no sense at all in that game.

2) Navi had the unfortunate luck of having Dig in their grou, and Dig losing to MyI unexpectedly. Can't really comment much because they lost 2-0 to Dig twice, but it felt like Dig had simply 'figured them out' from practices scrims.

3) Fanatic got unlucky, and to be honest their semi-final with Dig felt like the final. They were in my mind the second best team here. Dig having to beat their former team mates, who they are still friends with, to get to the final was bittersweet - I miss Aetheroangels Tyrael play!

4) MyInsanity were the star breakouts, going further than anyone expected. Their drafts were unusual and I think that gave them the edge, as well as their relative newcomer status - Dig simply hadn't practised against them or for them at all on day one. Will be interesting to see how they improve between now and Kores though - unusual draft choices will only take you so far, as we saw in the final. (that Cho'gall draft was awful!)

5) Dig played well, consistently, and showed a deep roster. I particulary liked their game on Battlefield in the final, where they seems to be playing an aggressive jungle style more than anyone else I've seen in NA / EU. Whilst it's always a map where ganks happen, Dig repeatedly used Shadowstalk to go deep, deep into enemy territory for kills, bypassing walls and forts to hunt someone down which was great to see. Right now they look like EUs only real chance at Korea, but we'll have to see how that works out when the metas clash.

The entire Jaina thing was interesting. EU clearly places a higher priority on Valla's sustain over Jaina's burst in most comps. Clearly they like Valla's flexibility, vault and access to giant killer a lot more than NA - not convinced by it myself, but we'll have to see. There were a couple of drafts in particular where the lack of Jaina stood out like a sort thumb - if you have Stitches AND Lunara on your team not taking Jaina seems mad!

Alavard

Overwatch release date has been leaked: May 24th. If they do things the same way as with Legacy of the Void, Tracer should release in HotS the same day, and be available for those who got the deluxe edition a week earlier, on the 17th.

That gives us time for two more heroes before Tracer.

Alur

Overwatch release date has been leaked: May 24th.

GG HOTSGAF. Time to go to OverGAF. It's been swell.

DocM0mE.gif

you weesh

Alur

Good point. So yeah, do we think the Lucio nerf will really shake up the support meta in OW? He was just so strong offensively and defensively before compared to the other supports.

Kinda like Rehgar in Heroes of the Storm if you guys have ever heard of that ded gaem.

mr stroke

Can anyone tell me why the HOTS Twitch numbers are so low?

I have been playing this game for 7 months now and finally getting good enough to play ranked. just started watching streams on twitch and notice the numbers are lower than even Starcraft 2 which seems odd? Is the player base for this game super small?

Ketch

yea i think it's pretty small compared to other popular streamed games.

also, a lot of the player base maybe the more casual type who don't watch a lot of twitch to begin with.

brian!

yeah what ketch said regarding twitch, agree totally about demographic which is also reflected in the type of streamers that get numbers. but also the scene is not supported well by the third-party organizations as well and pros stream rarely or at odd times

actual playerbase numbers are unknown, but I'm sure blizz is prtty pleased w/ them

Alur

It's not that compelling to watch be streamed, and while the player base isn't bad in size in general IMO, it's by no means League or Dota or even close.

The only compelling thing is the tournaments and that's the only time nowadays HOTS gets back into the top 8.

And, like Ketch said, the overwhelming majority of the playerbase is very casual so that kind of contributes to it.

Alur

Next week should be when the changes to Xul come if they do it like they did Li-Ming. Maybe other changes though, /shrug.

Celegus

Can anyone tell me why the HOTS Twitch numbers are so low?

I have been playing this game for 7 months now and finally getting good enough to play ranked. just started watching streams on twitch and notice the numbers are lower than even Starcraft 2 which seems odd? Is the player base for this game super small?
Other than watching tournaments which is fun, watching someone else play instead of playing myself is pretty much the last thing I want to do.

All I want is Tychus buffs!

Alur

I think they should buff the five least played heroes to the Rehgar level for one month and then chunk em back down bit by bit as necessary like they did Tyrande and Rehgar.

Rexxar, TLV, Murky, Azmodan, Arthas. Skipping Cho'Gall cause he's stupid. They are stupid. Whatever.

I'm still unsure how a video game franchise with Blizzard's name on it has Arthas, Kerrigan, and Tychus not be OpieOP. C'mon Blizzard.

Concept17

I think they should buff the five least played heroes to the Rehgar level for one month and then chunk em back down bit by bit as necessary like they did Tyrande and Rehgar.

Rexxar, TLV, Murky, Azmodan, Arthas. Skipping Cho'Gall cause he's stupid. They are stupid. Whatever.

I'm still unsure how a video game franchise with Blizzard's name on it has Arthas, Kerrigan, and Tychus not be OpieOP. C'mon Blizzard.

I'd really like to see Nazeebo get some attention. He's my favorite hero to play, but needs a little love to fit him into some comps.

Concept17

Just tried playing Dota 2 after months of hots. Never again. That game feels completely unresponsive, lifeless, slow, and boring.

Syf

Banned
Told myself I'd wait for bans to pick this game up again but the last two weekends left me in a HotS mood, played some tonight and forgot how fun it can be. Love the new heroes

Alur

That aspect is kind of lost in the clamor IMO. The game is still very fun even without those features. I still have a decent amount of fun when I log in so long as we don't lose 100% of our games. It's not as fun for me as it used to be, but that's mainly because I'll have been playing for two full years soon.

It's just kind of twisting the knife to think about how much more fun it would be (and bigger it would've been most likely) if it had launched with these features standard.

Maledict

So, two members of Erho's team have put Greymane at tier 1 in their new tier list. So either he's a moron who doesn't understand the game and his team, or he was deliberately bullshitting to hide what his team were practising with... ;-)

brian!

He could have also just changed his mind
Iunno these things arent complicated and remember they hardly picked him regardless, never understood y yall jumped on him

Personally i think he's tier 2 and not a great 1st wave pick

For me
Zera -> tier 1
Tyrael -> tier 2
Tyrande -> tier 2 (maybe 1? Supports arent that valuable in pick/ban atm regardless)
Gmane -> tier 2
Azmodan -> tier 3
Diablo -> tier 3
Bw -> tier 2
Falstad -> tier 1?

Alur

We should be hearing who the next hero(es) are this week or next week I'd assume. Mephisto would be fine.

I'd really like em to get on a kick of Starcraft heroes and release a Starcraft map in the same window. I don't particularly care for SC heroes, but I do want an SC map for the look.

brian!

Dunno how i feel about more maps, but an easy fix would be a map rotation for serious modes like counterstrike or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom